• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Fi Rush and Ghostwire Tokyo studio rumored to be making a JRPG next

DaGwaphics

Yeah, I think any JRPG that they would do would be a JRPG game that was targeted at the Western audience, or at least developed with some eye towards that. Besides a play for China, I don't think they have enough following in Japan to make a JRPG primarily targeted at the Japanese market.
I can't stand JRPGs. I'd much rather have Evil Within 3, but this studio is definitely showing an amazing amount of versatility.

Hi-Fi Rush was certainly a high-quality game and hopefully this one will be of the same caliber. If they would westernize it I'd at least give it a shot. If not no biggie, Xbox already has all my favorite WRPG devs and this is a great addition for those that do like JRPGs.

DaGwaphics

HIFI Rush ran great so there is at least a 50/50 chance. :messenger_grinning:

LOL, the Ghostwire game has a mode that is like 80fps+ on XSX. I think if the game they design fits the parameters it would be more than fine, most JRPGs aren't necessarily technologically ground breaking. Eventually we will see games that are simply pushing the limits so far that 30 or 40 is all they can do, and I fully support that. I would love to see a game that simply couldn't have existed on any previous generation of console, at nearly 3 years in we still haven't had that moment yet. Some champion that, I think it's unfortunate.

Robb

Gold Member
I’m not a big RPG fan so I’ll have to wait and see. I’m glad they’re moving away from horror games though.

They really knocked it out of the park with Hi-Fi Rush, can’t wait to see what they come up with next!

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
You need ask Mistwalker not Tanago Games.
This is a big misconception. Mistwalker didn't "make" Blue Dragon or Lost Odyssey. They are a very small team who assumed the role of producer for these two games (and Last Story). Mistwalker is a very small studio composed of Sakaguchi's colleagues, but they never made a AAA game on their own.
Blue Dragon was made by Artoon(the studio behind Blinx) with Sakaguchi serving as the writer and Uematsu as the composer. Artoon's Takuya Matsumoto served as the director. After Artoon was absorbed into AQ Interactive, key members like Yoji Ishii and Naoto Ohshima formed Arzaest with many of the former Artoon devs.
Lost Odyssey was originally an internal project by Microsoft Game Studios(the studio which made Phantom Dust and was later dissolved, and the the devs led by Yukio Futatsugi formed Grounding Inc.) with Mistwalker led by Daisuke Fukugawa(Director of Magatama for OG Xbox). Development continued with the new studio feelplus with Daisuke Fukugawa remaining as the director again with Sakaguchi serving as the writer and Uematsu as the composer.
The director of Lost Odyssey is now working for Square Enix. Though since the IP is owned by MS, I do like to see someone attempting a sequel. Tango Gameworks was founded to raise new younger Japanese talents for the game industry, so it would be interesting to see what they bring into the table in different genres.

Top Bottom