• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Fi RUSH |OT| Dance to the Tango (Game Works)

Imagine waiting years for an exclusive and then getting a rhythm game.
ok-boomer-the-office.gif

Topher

Gold Member
Hmmm, not sure about this one. Not digging the combat so far, granted it is still early. Think I'll set it aside and try again tomorrow.

sachos

Yo this looks sick! The jokes were actually landing (for me at least), the style looks awesome plus shadow drop! Only thing that bummed me out a little is that its rhythm based, i was expecting Anime Jet Set Radio DMC at first. If we can get more stuff like this from Gamepass im all for it.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

As soon as I saw the trailer with the FUCKING QUIPS, I thought, "the Japanese are just working on some Western guy's project, aren't they?" And sure enough, the director is some non-Japanese guy who most likely doesn't speak a lick of Japanese.

It's directed by John Johanas, who directed the Evil Within 2 and the DLC for EW1. He's been working at Tango for years and he speaks japanese. He spoke Japanese in the trailer for the game.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Imagine waiting years for an exclusive and then getting a rhythm game.
dawg let me tell you, if i only had an Xbox and the main exclusive i got was a rhythm game, especially a high quality well made one like this.... i'd be over the moon
Only person who says something like this is clearly someone who's never played a second of DDR or Beatmania in their life

Last edited:

Kuranghi

TAA PSA:

Go to C:\Users\XXXXXXXX\Saved Games\TangoGameworks\Hi-Fi RUSH (STEAM)\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

and add this to engine.ini

[SystemSettings]
r.DefaultFeature.AntiAliasing=2
r.PostProcessAAQuality=6
r.TemporalAACurrentFrameWeight=0.1
r.TemporalAASamples=32
r.Tonemapper.Sharpen=1.0

Better TAA and without as much blur.

splattered

Don't feel like going through 4 pages to see if anyone else has posted, but in case anyone is worried about the 20k "gears" in the deluxe edition this is the actual description:

• Gears Starter Pack with 20,000 Gears for unlocking combat skills and other upgrades. (Note: Gears are obtained through combat and exploration in-game and not available as a purchasable currency.)

TonyK

I want to like it but the combat... uff, I always had a lot of difficulties with rhythm games. I have zero sense of rhythm, specially during combat, when the game rises my adrenaline and I must maintain a button pushing rhythm slower and very different as I play. I will try again tomorrow because I really like the animations, ones of the best I seen.

Banned
I watched the direct, saw the game, immediately was like "damn that's right up my alley, I hope it's coming out this year"

I played through the tutorial and love it.
it is very tutorial heavy but that was to be expected in a genre mix I guess.

I love that you can punch the tips robots tho 🤣 cathartic after playing Ragnarök, I just imagine it's Atreus I'm punching around as he tries to tell me what to do.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I want to like it but the combat... uff, I always had a lot of difficulties with rhythm games. I have zero sense of rhythm, specially during combat, when the game rises my adrenaline and I must maintain a button pushing rhythm slower and very different as I play. I will try again tomorrow because I really like the animations, ones of the best I seen.

There is an auto-mode if you really don't get on with it but want to see the rest of the game, I may use it as I can't keep the rhythm when I get into it. My hips must be controlled by a separate secret brain 🤔🧠

calistan

Beautiful looking game. I love that halftone shading effect, it’s brilliantly done. The best cel-shaded game I’ve seen, graphicswise.

I don’t really get the combat, though. I’m fine with the rhythm, but how are you meant to close the distance with enemies that back away from you?

Also, there’s such a lot of empty, dead space in the first level. The platforming doesn’t feel good. Got as far as the first boss, got beat by him because I can’t figure out the range of my attacks, and just not massively enjoying it so far.

Banned
Beautiful looking game. I love that halftone shading effect, it’s brilliantly done. The best cel-shaded game I’ve seen, graphicswise.

indeed

I don’t really get the combat, though. I’m fine with the rhythm, but how are you meant to close the distance with enemies that back away from you?

RB is a dash, you have to dash in the rythm to keep your score up I think.

Also, there’s such a lot of empty, dead space in the first level. The platforming doesn’t feel good. Got as far as the first boss, got beat by him because I can’t figure out the range of my attacks, and just not massively enjoying it so far.

the movement and platforming feels similar to most games in this genre, not bad but far from perfect, it's always a learning curve.
it especially reminds me of how the jumping in Viewtiful Joe feels

as for the first boss, I mean, it's a very easy boss as it's kinda a tutorial boss. not sure about the range issue you're having.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Hmmm, not sure about this one. Not digging the combat so far, granted it is still early. Think I'll set it aside and try again tomorrow.
I'm really digging the combat and look of the game, but I'm a sucker for rhythm games. I literally was replaying Parappa the Rapper 2 days ago on my retro handheld.

One tiny issue I am having is xbox presents audio lag when outputting with earc through TV. It's horrible when outputting dolby, but uncompressed stereo usually works great.

In saying that, there is still a tiny bit of audio lag that keeping me from scoring A's and S's on my combat timing. I was able to fix this by either just using TV speakers (which is lame for a game with so much good music) or headphones.

Right bumper is the dash

Last edited:
Rolled my eyes when they started to show this, thought it definitely wasn’t for me (not a fan of that weird Japanese anime style combat) but they really sold me with the rhythm thing, and it looks so pretty…

Definite try for me. At the weekend though. Thanks Gamepass!

nial

Gold Member
It looks like a nice experiment, but the art-style really puts me off; ESPECIALLY the character designs. But hey, at least it's next-gen only.

Jennings

Just defeated the first boss. My average perfect time % is about 45% per graded battle. At least that's what the game says, but I know I'm really at about 95% and that controller/sound system latency is fucking me up. Too bad there's no calibration tool I can find in the game to help remedy this issue.

Last edited:

Banned
Just defeated the first boss. My average perfect time % is about 45% per graded battle. At least that's what the game says, but I know I'm really at about 95% and that controller/sound system latency is fucking me up. Too bad there's no calibration tool I can find in the game to help remedy this issue.

having no calibration is a bit of an oversight yeah. they should patch that in.

on my old TV I would have had a bit of an issue I think. my new one thankfully has zero audio lag (according to Metal Hellsinger's calibration screen)

I got an S rating for the first level, not sure what my timing percentage was, but I assume it was good given that it gave me an S

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I'm really digging the combat and look of the game, but I'm a suckered for rhythm games.

One tiny issue I am having is xbox presents audio lag when outputting with earc through TV. It's horrible when outputting dolby, but uncompressed stereo usually works great.

In saying that, there is still a tiny bit of audio lag that keeping me from scoring A's and S's on my combat timing. I was able to fix this by either just using TV speakers (which is lame for a game with so much good music) or headphones.

the look is great. No issues there. Now that you've said this, you might be on to something as far as the audio. Think I'll move my game over to PC and see if that makes a difference. Good tip.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I was just talking about this. I had to switch to TV speakers or headphones. Outputting to my soundbar was tanking my score.

Banned
Oh, whaaaa? I must have skipped/forgotten that tutorial. I assumed it was just for dodging left and right. Well, it’s getting late. Back to it tomorrow, I think, armed with these insider tips!

once you get into the rythm of the fight the attacks and dashs feel great. enemies usually don't retreat too far back so you usually should be able to chase them down

Top Bottom