• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Fi RUSH |OT| Dance to the Tango (Game Works)

Gaiff

Gold Member
Also, does Chai have the same voice actor as Akechi? The tone is very different but it really sounds like a more upbeat version of him.

Gambit2483

A bit longer than 11 hours, but there is a meaty endgame too after you finish it. I cant stop playing

Just redid the first stage on hard

image.png
ZC5GmVa.gif

Gaiff

Gold Member
A bit longer than 11 hours, but there is a meaty endgame too after you finish it. I cant stop playing

Just redid the first stage on hard

image.png
How do you get an S in timing? The best I can do is a B and most of the time I'm at D lol.

Playing on Hard too.

Last edited:
This is a game that deserves a 93 or 94 metacritic, anything less is a travesty in my opinion. It just gets better and better and is a triumph, a breath of fresh air in a stale cross gen triple A market of safe re treads.

This and returnal are what new generations are about imo. Just gotta hope the reviewers have the skill to see how special it is.

It probably deserves a low 80s meta, imho. Which is still a great score.

It would be elevated to a 90+ if the level design weren't as confined, and the platforming was significantly better. I keep thinking to myself how much fun this would be with a little more traversal influence and freedom from something like jet set radio. As it is the game feels too confined with level design that leaves a bit to be desired.

The combat is fun and the art style is great. I think the musical soundtrack could have a lot more variety too, it's too butt rock focused.

Reizo Ryuu

Small tip for anyone having a bit of a hard time with the beat timings, don't walk anywhere, triple dash and end with an attack and then cancel that attack with three more dashes and repeat; I've been playing like this from the start and it should give you a real feel for the beat instead of looking for visual cues.

Thaedolus

Alright after playing some more today, it’s starting to click a little better. Feels like a throwback in a lot of ways but fresh in others. Also I figured out why I was locked at 4K/60 last night, had to physically disconnect my monitor to get 120hz output to my TV and man this game fuckin pops. Just beautiful to behold.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

The korsica fight was really good but they made her too good, and with that I mean it was extremely obvious when she first popped up during the conference call she was a "good guy", her design just screams that, plus the colour coding, great voice etc. though it did make me wonder how they were exactly going to handle the actual fight, and it was dope.

Loved the initial LIFT cutscene too, a lot of choreography to get it working perfectly to the beat.

DeaconOfTheDank

Gold Member
I finally got more comfortable with the parry mechanic just in time for Korsica's stage.

This was easily my favorite level by far and I felt like the combat system really cemented itself as one of my all time favorites. Plus, the battle with Korsica at the end of was just the cherry on top 😍

I haven't felt this way about a game's combat since Sekiro, and I've played all the way up to NG+7. Can already tell I'll start a new playthrough as soon as I'm finished with my current one.

Last edited:

Mr Branding

Finished it last night. What a ride! The last levels are even better than the beggining. Rarely see this kind of crescendo and consistency in action games.

My highlights were
The Mimosa boss fight and that Invaders must die section. Was constantly tapping my foot, damn! But really, the Joy Formidable section was uplifting, the NIN mixed with the boss fights was an ace move, everything just clicked with me.

In my opinion this game is the perfect example of ‘all killer, no filler’. It has the perfect lenght, the right amount of levels, the pacing is spot-on. I ain’t big on horror games so did not know who these Tango guys/gals were but I’ll be keeping my eye on their future output now for sure.

10/10 action game.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Just found out there's music by The Prodigy in this game and now I want to play it even more lmao.

How many songs are in the game? is it just one per level?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The one thing might be negative is that I do not see a way to listen to licensed songs ? Even after you beat the game.😢

Orbital2060

So it is "tell me you are PlayStation fanboy without telling me you are PlayStation fanboy" type of situation?
Its either explicit or implicit in every review theyve done for Xbox, or their hilarious editorials or reader letters which I think they write themselves. Metro UK is a shitshow but the sad part is that their scores end up on MC and OC.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
How the writting? Are they constantly yapping nonsense or will I be able to play the game in peace? Everything else looks fantastic, just a bit worried about that aspect since it seems to be the norm in modern games.

How the writting? Are they constantly yapping nonsense or will I be able to play the game in peace? Everything else looks fantastic, just a bit worried about that aspect since it seems to be the norm in modern games.
They talk a lot. There's many tutorials up front. There's cutscenes. Personally though I think the voice acting and writing is actually shockingly good. The humor is actually on point, and has proper comedic editing and timing. Multiple cutscenes actually made me laugh audibly out loud briefly. It's like Legend of Korra tier voice acting and animation. Apparently it's also very good in Japanese. Personally I recommend English to get the most out of it on playthrough 1, but will play 2nd run in Japanese.

The game is clearly meant for replayability also, so many of the cutscenes and tutorials can just be skipped 2nd time around. And with the difficulty some people have with rhythm games, I think the tutorials were actually justified and well done.

Story isn't some amazing thing. It's saturday morning cartoon level, but it's good. The characters (all of them) are genuinely iconic and memorable.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

There's a lot of dialogue, but it's all really good/funny IMO.
Sounds fine, as long as it's not the Marvel kind of funny. :goog_relieved:

I wonder who wrote the game. If it's something close to the japanese humor of games like Yakuza then I?ll probably like it.

They talk a lot. There's many tutorials up front. There's cutscenes. Personally though I think the voice acting and writing is actually shockingly good. The humor is actually on point, and has proper comedic editing and timing. Multiple cutscenes actually made me laugh audibly out loud briefly. It's like Legend of Korra tier voice acting and animation. Apparently it's also very good in Japanese.

The game is clearly meant for replayability also, so many of the cutscenes and tutorials can just be skipped 2nd time around. And with the difficulty some people have with rhythm games, I think the tutorials were actually justified and well done.

Story isn't some amazing thing. It's saturday morning cartoon level, but it's good.
Music to my ears, love when games are fun to play without taking themselves too seriously.

GHG

Gold Member

Lots of talking but use the Japanese VO and treat it like it's an anime.

Personally I couldn't stand it with the English VO, gave me "how do you do fellow kids" vibes.

So your milage may vary, but if you're not enjoying it then switch it to Japanese, I found the voice actors to be a lot better, especially in terms of tonality.

TintoConCasera

Lots of talking but use the Japanese VO and treat it like it's an anime.

Personally I couldn't stand it with the English VO, gave me "how do you do fellow kids" vibes.

So your milage may vary, but if you're not enjoying it then switch it to Japanese, I found the voice actors to be a lot better, especially in terms of tonality.
Gotta be honest here... I was already planning to play it japanese. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Don't, you'll miss a lot of nuances that JPN vo's simply don't do, also missing out on korsica's accent is a crime.
I think I would have missed some of the subtle vocal lines that actually made me laugh. I agree. It just sounds like a cartoon in English.

But I will play in Japanese next and compare. The VA is great though. I guess if you never watched Saturday morning cartoon or Avatar or Legend of Korra maybe you'd hate it. Oh well.

TintoConCasera

Don't, you'll miss a lot of nuances that JPN vo's simply don't do, also missing out on korsica's accent is a crime.
Good point, I'll give it a go in english then. Game seems to be very replayable so I'll probably end up doing a playthough with both.

Klosshufvud

Sounds fine, as long as it's not the Marvel kind of funny. :goog_relieved:

I wonder who wrote the game. If it's something close to the japanese humor of games like Yakuza then I?ll probably like it.

Music to my ears, love when games are fun to play without taking themselves too seriously.
It's not really Japanese writing at all. It's western cartoon writing. I found that aspect of the game disappointing and too tame for my taste.

DaGwaphics

Can't be done that easily without gamepass. If it's coming to retail you have to market and get reviews or people wont buy it. Indies can get away with it because of the cheap price.

Even with GP, which certainly does make it easier, they might not do it on a game with a $100m+ budget. Pre-orders are often an important part of the sales return on games like that. It would be an interesting experiment if they choose to do it on huge budget titles too. If it worked, damn GP would be saving them their entire advertising budget on each game.

Last edited:
Even with GP, which certainly does make it easier, they might not do it on a game with a $100m+ budget. Pre-orders are often an important part of the sales return on games like that. It would be an interesting experiment if they choose to do it on huge budget titles too, if it worked, damn GP would be saving them their entire advertising budget on the games.
They have market research on it I'm sure. A game like this will appeal to enthusiast gamers so they don't need as much marketing. Even the ones who don't own an Xbox will see this game and buy a system if they are persuaded.

Games with a broader appeal require more marketing. For example, I've seen 10 ads already for Minecraft Legends just since the direct on youtube. They're marketing it heavily.

Even with GP, which certainly does make it easier, they might not do it on a game with a $100m+ budget. Pre-orders are often an important part of the sales return on games like that. It would be an interesting experiment if they choose to do it on huge budget titles too. If it worked, damn GP would be saving them their entire advertising budget on each game.

It would work for Elder Scrolls 6 and Starfield, but I know they won't do it for Starfield. They could sorta do it, though. Instead of an immediate shadow drop, they can do a 2-3 week Shadow Drop. Shows deep dive then say, "play it yourself in 2 weeks!" *mic drop*

Top Bottom