• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Fi RUSH |OT| Dance to the Tango (Game Works)

twilo99

Steam currently have a small hero on the store with a dedicated 'Hi-fi on Deck' page.
It must be doing well to get extra exposure like that.

s7lbHvd.jpg

Must be a mistake, no game can sell well if its on gamepass.

Nydius

What's the song that's generally in the overworld/while you're fighting?
Which track (level)? They're all unique. Some tracks have multiple songs spread out across separate verses.
Track 10, for example, has four completely different songs.

Banned
finally finished it!
I got sick literally the day this came out, so I wasn't feeling well enough to actually properly start it right away, but now that my cold is gone I binged it yesterday and today.
...on Hard naturally...

took about 11h

what a game!
there are some small things I would definitely change about it if I made the design decisions (like less handholding -_-, and maybe not make the companion abilities as context sensitive as they are) but overall my favourite game in a long time... absolutely a personal GOTY contender already.

it's absolutely ridiculous how polished this game is, like... every single scene feels like it was polished to the max up until the last minute.
every single person that was responsible for the visuals in this, from the UI designers, to the artists and technical artists should get the biggest praise imaginable. never has a celshaded game looked this good and was animated this well.

the soundtrack is also pretty great. the moment The Prodigy started playing in the tower level I was in a loop of constant headbanging during the fights and traversal.

and now, I'll do all the side stuff you unlock after finishing:)

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Tried it just for about 10 minutes.

Looks nice, it seems very fun to play and it has s lot of charm. Those 10 minutes were enough to make me smile a few times.

I won't drop Dragon Quest XI because of this game, but once I finish it I know what I'm playing next.:messenger_ok:

Last edited:
I really wonder if this was an intentional homage to it or just a coincidence.

it's not quite the correct swirl, but it's the correct colour (for NTSC regions...)
it would be funny of it was a blue swirl if your console is set to a PAL region country
We'll probably never know, but he did explain in that recent interview that there's a ton of 90s, 2000s references built in. Zanzo is supposed to be making fun of game directors and their project management. Vandelay Industries is a reference from Seinfeld.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
We'll probably never know, but he did explain in that recent interview that there's a ton of 90s, 2000s references built in. Zanzo is supposed to be making fun of game directors and their project management. Vandelay Industries is a reference from Seinfeld.
I still can't believe we have a Seindfeld reference in a japanese game. God bless the based weeabo who has directed this game.

Ozriel

M$FT
It's a pretty awesome game but there are some absolute heavyweights coming this year. Not sure if it'll still be in the GOTY conversation by November.

Man, Keighley has certainly done a good job - within such a short time - of convincing people that the only relevant GOTY conversation is at the TGAs.

flying_sq

Came back to the game after a few days. It seems the game gives up everything in combat just to force the parry mechanic. Why even have an attack button or combos if they're going to force you to use parry or die enemy? Not sure how much more I'm going to play, got to the Samurai robot, this mechanic just feels forced.

Reizo Ryuu

Why even have an attack button or combos if they're going to force you to use parry or die enemy? Not sure how much more I'm going to play, got to the Samurai robot, this mechanic just feels forced.
?
You can still just evade on the beat if you want, parry just builds the stun bar faster, and allows for an immediate jam combo follow up.

flying_sq

?
You can still just evade on the beat if you want, parry just builds the stun bar faster, and allows for an immediate jam combo follow up.
No, they have enemies in the game that force you to parry an attack or you will die. If it was just to build a stun gauge faster or something that is optional if I want to increase my combat rank or something, it would be perfectly fine. Putting enemies in that just boil down to get the QTE right or die completely disrupts my game. I go from enjoying the atmosphere, music and trying to land hits on the beat, to being locked into an animation that gives you about 1 second or less to memorize a beat or die. Then you have to redo an enemy encounter just to hope you get it right. Again, and again, and again.

Banned
No, they have enemies in the game that force you to parry an attack or you will die. If it was just to build a stun gauge faster or something that is optional if I want to increase my combat rank or something, it would be perfectly fine. Putting enemies in that just boil down to get the QTE right or die completely disrupts my game. I go from enjoying the atmosphere, music and trying to land hits on the beat, to being locked into an animation that gives you about 1 second or less to memorize a beat or die. Then you have to redo an enemy encounter just to hope you get it right. Again, and again, and again.

You don't die if you fail, you get damaged. Parrying perfectly will grand you an instant kill tho.
And this stuff is to be expected in a genre mix like this 🤷

But again... You don't die, unless you're already that weak at that point that any attack would kill you

flying_sq

You don't die if you fail, you get damaged. Parrying perfectly will grand you an instant kill tho.

But again... You don't die, unless you're already that weak at that point that any attack would kill you
It's semantics, you have to pass it, or you die. I get 2 attempts before I die right now. If I had known the mechanic was in the game, I might have just completely passed it over. Instead everything about the game was focused on goofy light hearted story and some fun rythem based combat. Not changing combat to have invincible enemies that can only die to a QTE. I'm pissed because now I really like the world and characters, then hate every combat encounter because I am dreading the game dropping one in half way or at the end of a combat encounter that I will most likely keep dieing at. So my new experience with the game is die repeatedly to the same enemy, rage quit. Forget how much that sucks, think it can't be as frustrating as I am making it out to be, boot the game up, try a few times, then get pissed off again. It would have been better to force the player into it in the first chapter, I would have just been able to drop the game there.

GHG

Gold Member

On the section he's talking about if you don't perfectly execute the parry combo along with the subsequent finishing blow QTE then you cannot defeat that enemy.

At least that's how it is when playing on hard difficulty.

I know the exact section he's talking about, took me about 3 attempts to get it and to make matters worse you go back to the start of the fight encounter (2 waves before the enemy that looks a bit like a bug) and have to fight through them again to get back to that bit.

Edit:

This is the section flying_sq flying_sq is talking about I think:

Last edited:

Banned
On the section he's talking about if you don't perfectly execute the parry combo along with the subsequent finishing blow QTE then you cannot defeat that enemy.

I know the exact section he's talking about, took me about 3 attempts to get it and to make matters worse you go back to the start of the fight encounter (2 waves before the enemy that looks a bit like a bug) and have to fight through them again to get back to that bit.

Edit:

that's the tutorial for the mechanic, it's the only time it's mandatory to pass it for normal enemies... (it is used as a mandatory finishing blow for bosses tho)

I didn't know what happens if you fail this one tbh as I did it first try and in other encounters with this and similar enemy types it's just an insta kill opportunity that gives you a bit of damage if you fail

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
that's the tutorial for the mechanic, it's the only time it's mandatory to pass it for normal enemies... (it is used as a mandatory finishing blow for bosses tho)

I didn't know what happens if you fail this one tbh as I did it first try and in other encounters with this and similar enemy types it's just an insta kill opportunity that gives you a bit of damage if you fail

If you fail it you get damaged and if that damage results in your death then you have to restart the whole encounter from wave 1.

I know because I failed it a couple of times due to messing up the timing of that final QTE button press.

Banned
If you fail it you get damaged and if that damage results in your death then you have to restart the whole encounter from wave 1.

I know because I failed it a couple of times due to messing up the timing of that final QTE button press.

yes but like I said, this is the only normal enemy that makes it mandatory to actually pull off since it's the tutorial for the mechanic. usually enemies will do it twice and then stop

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
yes but like I said, this is the only normal enemy that makes it mandatory to actually pull off since it's the tutorial for the mechanic. usually enemies will do it twice and then stop

I'm aware of that but at the time of playing that section you have no idea of how it works for future fights. So that's why he'll be frustrated, especially if he's hit a roadblock.

Banned
I'm aware of that but at the time of playing that section you have no idea of how it works for future fights. So that's why he'll be frustrated, especially if he's hit a roadblock.

I can see how it can be frustrating yeah. But I think the game has accessibility options that allow you to turn rythm QTEs like this off. I never looked deeper into it but if it's an absolute dealbreaker for someone that's maybe a way to get rid of them to a point

Reactions: GHG

flying_sq

Edit:

There is a harder one further on in the game past that. From what I hear, there are more after that as well.

It's not the only normal enemy like that from what I have found so far.

Banned
There is a harder one further on in the game past that. From what I hear, there are more after that as well.

It's not the only normal enemy like that from what I have found so far.

aftrr the tutorial you can fail the parry and still kill them. they will do them twice if you fail the first one and then stop.

edit: the guy in the video fights that dude really slowly tho... I would have killed him in like 20 sec max

Last edited:

flying_sq

I can see how it can be frustrating yeah. But I think the game has accessibility options that allow you to turn rythm QTEs like this off. I never looked deeper into it but if it's an absolute dealbreaker for someone that's maybe a way to get rid of them to a point
I went into the menu and found the setting saying it turns rhythm based things to one button press. It does not affect these sequences, just tried it. So yea, the game will just force you to die or pass over and over again.

Reizo Ryuu

You can literally avoid every single one of them after the tutorial by just jumping when you seen them charging up to send out the wave, they do it twice and then stop, if you want an instant kill you allow yourself to get hit by it, otherwise just be in the air and a bit away and the wave they send out misses you.

Banned
I went into the menu and found the setting saying it turns rhythm based things to one button press. It does not affect these sequences, just tried it. So yea, the game will just force you to die or pass over and over again.

mhh... yeah I just looked it seems it's really nothing you can turn off.

well, I think you just have to get through this one and then make sure to have enough health powerups going forward to tank these twice and kill enemies that do this normally. or you dodge the activation of these moves

there are also other enemy types later that make these more complex by introducing dodging and parrying in these sequences.

flying_sq

You can literally avoid every single one of them after the tutorial by just jumping when you seen them charging up to send out the wave, they do it twice and then stop, if you want an instant kill you allow yourself to get hit by it, otherwise just be in the air and a bit away and the wave they send out misses you.
I didn't know that, so I gave it a shot, you can't avoid the blue wave one, I was on the opposite side of the area and jumped, caught me twice. I did found out you can kill that guy without getting the parry perfect, but I must have blocked just enough between the two attacks, that I was able to kill him before he could try it again with regular attacks. But now two fights past that, its a normal enemy in the game. Awesome.

flying_sq

mhh... yeah I just looked it seems it's really nothing you can turn off.

well, I think you just have to get through this one and then make sure to have enough health powerups going forward to tank these twice and kill enemies that do this normally. or you dodge the activation of these moves

there are also other enemy types later that make these more complex by introducing dodging and parrying in these sequences.
Yea, I probably won't end up finishing the game based on the combat alone.

Banned
I didn't know that, so I gave it a shot, you can't avoid the blue wave one, I was on the opposite side of the area and jumped, caught me twice. I did found out you can kill that guy without getting the parry perfect, but I must have blocked just enough between the two attacks, that I was able to kill him before he could try it again with regular attacks. But now two fights past that, its a normal enemy in the game. Awesome.

Yea, I probably won't end up finishing the game based on the combat alone.

they aren't that frequent. and I failed plenty of them and got through easily enough on the Hard difficulty (except for the final boss... that dude's an asshole! lol)... I wouldn't let that get in the way.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

I didn't know that, so I gave it a shot, you can't avoid the blue wave one, I was on the opposite side of the area and jumped, caught me twice.
You have to be in the air when you see them charge, not jump on reaction to the actual wave; I've evaded dozens of them that way on hard.

Also you know you don't actually have to watch his attacks and parry on reaction right? All the attacks in this game are on counts/beat, so just mimic the beat the sequence is presented in; the samurai in the video above is just dun..dun..dun..dundun..dun..dun.

Jinzo Prime

Hey, flying_sq flying_sq , I feel your pain, bro. Currently stuck at the second samurai fight. I decided to go to the training arena to learn his timing, here's what I found:

His parry attack starts 2 beats after it shows the timing. Every other parry attack (with the little floating robots) starts 1 beat after. This slight change threw me off until I realized what was happening.

Another little trick is to lower the music and voice volume a little to hear the SFX for the parry time better.

Last edited:

Edit:

Thats when my Space Channel 5 and Project Diva background kicked it. Classic rhythm game QTE stuff.

Anyone having trouble on it, I'd recommend tapping your foot. This is pretty much the only part in the game along with the Korsica puzzle QTEs that has hits on the off beat. Count on the down or the up on your foot tap.

Beat stage 1 on Rhythm Master. Got an A rank, -13 deaths dropped it down to a D lol. I can definitely do better though. The first 8 deaths were just me not even realizing that they changed something on him that one hit kills you instantly.

Keeping the beat above D is a challenge on slow parts. Pushes you to be aggressive or you rank out and die.

Banned
Beat stage 1 on Rhythm Master. Got an A rank, -13 deaths dropped it down to a D lol. I can definitely do better though. The first 8 deaths were just me not even realizing that they changed something on him that one hit kills you instantly.

Keeping the beat above D is a challenge on slow parts. Pushes you to be aggressive or you rank out and die.

that mode seems intimidating. I think I'll first 100% on hard before touching that lol

that mode seems intimidating. I think I'll first 100% on hard before touching that lol
I barely noticed any change up to very hard. Rhythm master is definitely a noticeable step up in enemy damage and the constant threat of combo rank dropping to D and game over.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Finished the game off a couple days ago, but still picking at post-game content.

This is absolutely a new classic, a game that will maintain a cult following for years in the same way as Jet Set Radio, Space Channel 5 Part 2, Viewtiful Joe, Rez, Devil May Cry, etc. And it's probably not a coincidence that this game is absolutely dripping with nostalgia for that early 2000s era, the time of Sega's self-governing studios and Capcom's Clover Studios. All the music is from that time, and it taps into that spirit of being weird and taking chances that made that period in gaming so fun.

Of course it's a lot more polished than a DC or GameCube game. I think the lack of a public announcement and low profile helped them to get the time they needed to refine this game to perfection. Which shows in the gamefeel, in the presentation, and the fact that it's the first game I have played through in a long time that I haven't encountered a single bug.

Some of the GOTY conversation maybe misses that point. This game might be in the conversation/nominated but it won't get through hype monsters like Zelda and Spider-Man 2 and probably Starfield. But that doesn't matter because it's a game that people are going to remember and keep playing.

It is a really strange move to make your FIRST exclusive from the Bethesda deal, a game that is clearly a consensus 9/10, a shadow drop. It's clearly bought them a lot of positive buzz and goodwill, but I hope they have some follow up marketing, some ads, do a victory lap and get the word out to the casuals.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The LAST thing I expected was a god damn Twin Peaks reference. Laughed my ass off. This game is genuinely funny in parts.

I cannot get past the forced parry bits, the timing seems insane.
Tap your foot. Count beats on the down or the up. It's the only part in the game with "off-beats" (a hit on the "up" when your foot is off the ground).

Get the pattern memorized on your tap count, then relax and wait. The start time throws people off slightly. It can come in after 1-2 beats, and is different, but always comes in on a down beat. So if you get good at counting the pattern correctly, the only thing to really worry about is just waiting and being loose so that you hit that start time whenever it pops up since that part is slightly varied.

See if you can put a samurai in the training mode. I haven't tried, but you probably can. Just do it over and over.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

...There's no timing, get that out of your head, it's just a musical sequence; the main beat remains 4/4 but the sequence might have doubles or skips, but it's still -on beat-
So the only thing you have to pay attention to, is the beat of the sequence and press the buttons on the beat, you don't even have to look or react to the actual attacks to some weird timing.

Like think of any song in your head and now press the button on your controller to the bass/drumline, that's essentially what you're doing on those sequences.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Lag is a real menace to this game. If you haven't make sure your TV is in game mode and play with a wired headset plugged into the controller. Bluetooth and Sound bars can be real rough with this one.

I switched over to PC at some point and playing with a 1ms response monitor, 140 fps, and Nvidia Reflex felt like I was Neo in The Matrix all of a sudden.

Top Bottom