• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Fi RUSH |OT| Dance to the Tango (Game Works)

Do you have continues on the hardest difficulty? I might as well not even attempt it then if there's no continues lol. :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Yeah you have continues. The biggest thing is you get game over if you ever let the rhythm rank dip to D rank. So you have to be aggressive and always move forward in combat to keep the beat going. If you get hit early it can drop a rank. On bosses where they're not open for a bit, it can be very challenging to wait at all.

Reizo Ryuu

this parrying system is just not clicking with me

Still about over halfway through, its been enjoyable in spite of my sucking
stop thinking about it as reactions, and just follow the count/beats -everything- lands on beat, you can even sit in training mode close your eyes and parry perfectly just by listening.

Jaybe

I HAVE ENTERED THE ZONE (except that one fight against literally two guys that was over before it began)

ZP8qQcr.png

Phenomenal game. GOTY contender and frankly retroactively makes other action games less appealing. A real modern gem.
FD31C72110C916B03F15751B16702F3BE2BCADE9

Ugh, I thought I had great reflexes for this kind of game, my age is showing here lol, this parrying system is just not clicking with me

Still about over halfway through, its been enjoyable in spite of my sucking
I also suggest training mode. Pick any enemy you aren't comfortable around and just fight them with infinite health for a few min. You'll get it down. Glad youre still having fun at least.

flying_sq

Well, after all my bitching and moaning, I ended up beating it on hard. IMO, the first bit of the game is great, followed by half of the game sucking just for it to get fantastic for Roquefort until the end. As soon as that stage started the music they used from then on felt much easier to follow. I still ended up failing that samurai QTE everytime. It was a really fun story, and I really enjoyed about half of the game. That being said, I never want to play it again.

flying_sq

Lag is a real menace to this game. If you haven't make sure your TV is in game mode and play with a wired headset plugged into the controller. Bluetooth and Sound bars can be real rough with this one.

I switched over to PC at some point and playing with a 1ms response monitor, 140 fps, and Nvidia Reflex felt like I was Neo in The Matrix all of a sudden.
I played on my PC at 120 fps with reflex except for cutscenes which would force the game to 60, and after the cutscenes would sometimes reset my FPS lock to 60 and I would have to pause and change it back to 120. I just don't think the background tracks ended up working well for me for most of the game.

Alx

Just beat the final boss for the first time yesterday. So good. In normal difficulty the game isn't punitive at all, which is a good thing since I wasn't in the mood of getting my ass kicked (there are rhythm sections that I clearly failed an still powered through). I only died a few times because I messed up, but it didn't feel unfair or out of my reach. Really Mimosa was the only part that got me angry at some point.
I'm quite happy with my choice of upgrading parrying in priority, although unlocking the teammates-based combos seemed to help a lot too.
I still have a lot to do in the game, which is even better. Thinking about it I can't think of anything I would change to make it better, the game knows exactly what it wants to be and is perfectly polished accordingly. Congrats Tango, very nice work.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Also just finished this game. Holy shit, what an experience.

The first half I was kind of on the side of "yeah, this is fun, but I'm not sure I'm seeing what all the hype is about". But by the end? God damn, one of the best action games I've ever played. The way the team comes together over the final chapter just nails that perfect culmination of emotional, thematic, and gameplay synchronization.

52677237975_04849fdd6a_o.png

What a game.

Last edited:

Roberts

Finally got some free time to play it and got to the Perfect Drug part. As much as I loved the first half of the game, there was this short moment around track 5 or 6 where the initial excitement slightly wore off but, holy shit, the last three levels were an absolute blast of positively charming ass-kickery. I can’t rememeber a single melee based action game that made me smille like an idiot so much. Definitely a GOTY contender.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Just started this, and yeah it's very good. Only did the first track but had a lot of fun.

That fun tho was a bit dragged down by my frustation at not being able to do combos with rhythm. Like, I can do them perfectly when out of combat, but trying to manage the action and the rhythm at the same time seems to make my head spin.

Anyway, I just started out so I hope to get better at some point. Oh and I started the game on hard, don't know if I made the right call but so far I'm enjoying the challenge. Also loving the music aspect of the game, specially during that first boss fight, and not just because of the song but because how everything is always following the rhythm.

Which difficulty did you started on? Any tips? Maybe I should focus less on the rhythm since it's not mandatory but what can I say, give me an S rank or give me death. :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Just started this, and yeah it's very good. Only did the first track but had a lot of fun.

That fun tho was a bit dragged down by my frustation at not being able to do combos with rhythm. Like, I can do them perfectly when out of combat, but trying to manage the action and the rhythm at the same time seems to make my head spin.

Anyway, I just started out so I hope to get better at some point. Oh and I started the game on hard, don't know if I made the right call but so far I'm enjoying the challenge. Also loving the music aspect of the game, specially during that first boss fight, and not just because of the song but because how everything is always following the rhythm.

Which difficulty did you started on? Any tips? Maybe I should focus less on the rhythm since it's not mandatory but what can I say, give me an S rank or give me death. :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
I wouldn't worry about ranks until you finish the game honestly. You'll get more tools throughout the game and get more comfortable with it and can easily return for replays for rank hunting. It took me a very long time of hanging around accuracy rank 50-65% to finally be used to the game enough that I could fully detach and observe my actual button presses on my hands. I was buffer pressing extra hits frequently instead of only hitting attack when the hits connect.

Point being, just enjoy the ride and you'll comfortably improve. I started on normal but they're not truly all that different until the final difficulty which is much harder.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I wouldn't worry about ranks until you finish the game honestly. You'll get more tools throughout the game and get more comfortable with it and can easily return for replays for rank hunting. It took me a very long time of hanging around accuracy rank 50-65% to finally be used to the game enough that I could fully detach and observe my actual button presses on my hands. I was buffer pressing extra hits frequently instead of only hitting attack when the hits connect.

Point being, just enjoy the ride and you'll comfortably improve. I started on normal but they're not truly all that different until the final difficulty which is much harder.
Thanks bro, I'll take the advice and try to just focus more on the fun. I can see myself replaying the game anyway even if just to experience those pretty scenarios and cool music one more time.

By the way, Chai is basically Fry from Futurama, right? He even got a shit job assigned to him. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

TintoConCasera

Just finished Track 4. Enjoying the game a lot, but just like with DOOM Eternal, I have to play it in short bursts or else I end up tired and playing very bad.

Also a bit disappointed at no Zanzo boss fight, but whatever, the escape scene was cool.

Chai is a lucky dude btw, I want Korsica to strangle me too.

Just finished Track 4. Enjoying the game a lot, but just like with DOOM Eternal, I have to play it in short bursts or else I end up tired and playing very bad.

Also a bit disappointed at no Zanzo boss fight, but whatever, the escape scene was cool.

Chai is a lucky dude btw, I want Korsica to strangle me too.
I also played a stage a day. Felt like I needed a cigarette and a break after each one.

Took awhile to realize how good the game was, mainly cause of how it was presented. They just threw it out there like a throw away. Meh. A little somethin something for you available today if you want. Go grab. Only 29.99. Who's gonna think it would end up being arguable the best game I've ever played.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Took awhile to realize how good the game was, mainly cause of how it was presented. They just threw it out there like a throw away. Meh. A little somethin something for you available today if you want. Go grab. Only 29.99. Who's gonna think it would end up being arguable the best game I've ever played.
Yeah I know everyone loved the shadow-drop, but it did kind of undersell it in some ways. It's a legit classic.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I haven't seen a better looking game in my life using cel-shading as a visual style and comic book aesthetic for literally everything in the game:messenger_open_mouth:

Simply astounding work all around, including animations and cut-scenes!:messenger_smiling_hearts:
ryODrzk.jpg

2W8nVvF.jpg

NIB9rYU.jpg

fCcUPye.jpg

hoUGQl7.jpg

bqxcMqZ.jpg

r2gpI6P.jpg
And as the icing on the cake, the game runs like and effin' butter at 5K with DLSS Quality with over 100 FPS, but 3070 can easily get above 60 all the time without DLSS even. If only there was an option to completely turn off HUD and use Photo Mode.

Also, thank god there's an option for Japanese VO, instantly turned it on as I saw it and it's perfect. Can't wait to play more.

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

I beat the game on hard a couple of days ago and honestly it is one of the best games I've ever played. I might be crazy but I feel there is a lot of Godhand and Vanquish DNA in this game.

I hope Mikami get a shot to develop his dream game next now that it seems he will have more freedom under xbox to develop whatever he wants.

I feel this is the start of a golden age for tango gameworks.

Reizo Ryuu

I can do them perfectly when out of combat, but trying to manage the action and the rhythm at the same time seems to make my head spin.
Counting helps, because remember everything happens on beat, you cannot get hit if you parry or dodge on the count, so instead of just purely going by it visually, just listen to the beat/count and trust that everything that happens is always in sync.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I beat the game on hard a couple of days ago and honestly it is one of the best games I've ever played. I might be crazy but I feel there is a lot of Godhand and Vanquish DNA in this game.

I hope Mikami get a shot to develop his dream game next now that it seems he will have more freedom under xbox to develop whatever he wants.

I feel this is the start of a golden age for tango gameworks.
Yeah I mean Tango is more or less formed from the Vanquish team which was more or less formed from Clover Studios, so...

Dr_Salt

Yeah I mean Tango is more or less formed from the Vanquish team which was more or less formed from Clover Studios, so...
Yep but I didn't think they were gonna go back to any of those games. The way Chai runs on the arm of Rekka to deliver the final blow is straight out from the Argus boss battle in Vanquish.

Last edited:

Calverz

Finished this the other day. What a breath of fresh air it was. I started it without any hope of playing much of it (I’m not a hack n slash fan) but somehow I got hooked! (Maybe the music rhythm system kept me engaged as I play guitar) I found it pretty engaging all the way to the end. It’s not really something I would play through again or go back to 100% but I definitely enjoyed it for 13 hours or so it took me.

marquimvfs

Cool! Will definitely try it.

Edit: Funny how I got to know this game only now. It's something that I'd be hyped for.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Just beat this. Pretty cool game, specially at the end stages, where it switch gears to full throttle and never stops until the end. Just wish it had been just a little bit longer, I was having a lot of fun.

My favorite part was probably where Invaders Must Die was playing, I love that song and it really fits the moment where it's put in. I also liked the museum stage with it's jazzy tune.

Sadly the rhythm stuff never really clicked 100% with me, but I was still able to pull some S ranks here and there.

Will keep playing, gotta find out what's behind those closed, numbered doors!

Oh and yeah, this game needs a sequel, longer and with more licensed songs.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Just finished. It was a slow walk using this for AMEM. I have some gripes here (a tad tutorial heavy and the default difficulty is on the easy side) but the game never overstays it's welcome and the combat system is kind of brilliant. I think most developers would have made the concept way less forgiving which would have ruined it the experience. The bosses are pretty great and the story is earnest and enjoyable. It really feels like the type of experimental project that we got during the PS2 era. I'm also a sucker for NIN. This game is fucking great and a pleasant surprise because Tango's other games have left me cold. I'll be buying this on Steam at some point.

Top Bottom