• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Fi Rush | Review Thread

I think the game is getting away with some things that would be dinged for any other game and isn't that good, however, glad to see that people who have a taste for music/action games are enjoying it and see that it's a quality entry in that sub-genre.

First tangogameworks game I've played and it seems to be a success, hoping they do more random ambitious games in other genres.

Batiman

Banned
I hate to say it, but I enjoyed this game more than bayo 3. Performances in bayo 3 really killed it for me, and I’m not really that picky when it comes to performance

Buggy Loop

I have played it

Sure Jan GIF

Even though I can't stand Viola, I'll take Bayo 3 over Hi-fi Rush any day for its art style, music, and combat. The Demon Slave mechanic in Bayo 3 is just too cool.
I thought Chai and all other characters presented in Hi-fi Rush were annoying from the start. Chai is as annoying as Viola.

Playing the game with Japanese voices doesn't help to make them tolerable either.
The music in Hi-fi Rush is ok, imo the combat is eh. Cool cel shaded visuals though.

Ozriel

M$FT
I know I shouldn't say this because it might equally trigger the hive, but it is good to see people on the Xbox side enjoying a game that also stops you from time to time, for "cinematics", has a lot of "talking", and some walking as well (;)) etc etc. Sure, you might enjoy this over that, but others might enjoy that, which is sometimes downplayed by some folks. Anyway, variety is good. Learn to enjoy different things!

As Dusk Falls? Pentiment?
Both highly rated Xbox exclusives with lots of ‘talking’.

Sure, there are a few console warriors that talk nonsense about ‘narrative’ games but thankfully, that’s isolated to a handful of clowns.

Ozriel

M$FT
Dont think its necessarily rushed, but if they had spent more time fixing its flaws it could have elevated the game from 8/10 to 90+ IMHO.

Brother in Christ, surely you mean from Opencritic 90% to 90+? :messenger_grinning:

PS: No game is flawless, and there's absolutely no telling if they would have made different decisions with more development time. They'll (hopefully) roll in improvements into a sequel.

Last edited:
Brother in Christ, surely you mean from Opencritic 90% to 90+? :messenger_grinning:

PS: No game is flawless, and there's absolutely no telling if they would have made different decisions with more development time. There's nothing 'rushed' about this title.

I'm talking about IMO for what I'd personally rate the game.

Nothing is unpolished about the game other than the level design and traversal, it's just barely there at all and could be a lot more interesting.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm talking about IMO for what I'd personally rate the game.

Nothing is unpolished about the game other than the level design and traversal, it's just barely there at all and could be a lot more interesting.

Each to their own I guess. Games an easy 9.5 to me and better than anything that launched this gen bar elden ring.

My opinion of course, I'll be playing this for years until the sequel drops.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
He is an Xbox Warrior. He has to.

The game is great, absolute blast, but there is nothing here to "play for years". Maybe for a quick playthrough, but this isn't like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta in terms of depth.
It won't be played consecutively for years. But it has a high amount of replay value. What this game does have is masterpiece, lasting impact. The same way people talk about Jet Set Radio 20 years later, people will still talk about this. It will be a lasting legacy.

I'm on the Mimosa fight now and its up there as one of the best boss fights I've played in a long time.

Last edited:
I have only one real complaint and that is not everything on screen is smashable. I keep trying to smash things and they don't smash.
Other than that I give it an A+.

vj27

Banned
Didn't Grounded come out like 2 years ago?
No it was in beta two years ago

Source - I was playing it.

It’s beta launch and full launch are two different things, plus the whole campaign is what came out on full launch that people seem to forget, you can actually beat this game unlike most survival games + there’s an actual story to it and not like lore bits here and there. Grounded is great, it really is apart of the cream of the crop of survival games it’s so damn fun. If you have friends you should try it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You're crying about Xbox warriors in a review thread sounding insecure as hell over this game, when most of the reviews are PC/Steam.

I call out warriors in all threads, regardless of the platform. So again, which "side" am I on and whose alt are you?

I call out warriors in all threads, regardless of the platform. So again, which "side" am I on and whose alt are you?
So you call warriors out on a review thread about a Microsoft exclusive?

You're literaly trying to bait me in a thread where you're salty as hell.

I accept your concession.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So you call warriors out on a review thread about a Microsoft exclusive?

You're literaly trying to bait me in a thread where you're salty as hell.

I accept your concession.
I call out warriors who are creating hyperbole in any thread. Review or otherwise. If you actually bothered to read and understand context (which is clearly what you have failed to do), you would know that I greatly enjoy the game and consider their hyperbolic claims to be more damaging than helpful. Classic "Boy Who Cries Wolf" situation.

I am not "baiting" anyone, asking a simple question. Are you going to answer it or continue to create strawman arguments?

SenkiDala

I feel I'm the only one who really dislike the game...

Can't play it more then 20 to 30 minutes per session, it is just so boring.

When I was watching the stream I thought "this game is for me, it looks AWESOME", downloaded it right after the presentation, annnnnnnd disliked it. I played a total of a couple of hours but I just can't get into it.

I don't know why exactly, the gameplay is hollow, the art directions looks "fake" to me, I feel no soul into this game, looks like a game made by an AI or some shit.

That really surprised me because I loved and bought on day one both Jet Set Radio / Future, played hundreds of hours on each games... But I dunno, with HiFi I just feel bored and just... don't wanna keep playing it.

Honestly I feel bitter about it, I thought "YES FINALLY AN XBOX EXCLUSIVE THAT IS FOR ME" and... pshit, nothing. :(

At least thanks to the gamepass because without it I would have bought the deluxe edition on day one.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

When I was watching the stream I thought "this game is for me, it looks AWESOME", downloaded it right after the presentation, annnnnnnd disliked it. I played a total of a couple of hours but I just can't get into it.

I don't know why exactly, the gameplay is hollow, the art directions looks "fake" to me, I feel no soul into this game, looks like a game made by an AI or some shit.

That really surprised me because I loved and bought on day one both Jet Set Radio / Future, played hundreds of hours on each games... But I dunno, with HiFi I just feel bored and just... don't wanna keep playing it.

Honestly I feel bitter about it, I thought "YES FINALLY AN XBOX EXCLUSIVE THAT IS FOR ME" and... pshit, nothing. :(

At least thanks to the gamepass because without it I would have bought the deluxe edition on day one.

...What? No soul? This has more soul than any of the first party AAA games from Sony or Xbox over the last few years. I can definitely understand being bored with the gameplay, it was a bit slow in doling out some of the key combat maneuvers like Parry and what not - but once you get all of it it feels so damn fun to play.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Phew, I feel really sorry for you...if you can't see the quality of this game, and it doesn't do anything for you...I genuinely feel sorry for you.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
He is an Xbox Warrior. He has to.

The game is great, absolute blast, but there is nothing here to "play for years". Maybe for a quick playthrough, but this isn't like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta in terms of depth.

I'm already trying to s rank every section and with the awesome soundtrack I'll be jumping in to do bosses and experience the style over and over again. Almost like replaying tracks on guitar hero or Rock band.

I've already played the first boss like 5 times.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I imagine we will get a load more reviews, it's going to end up at like 89 or 88 which is amazing for a new ip but I personally feel its too low. This is a plus 90 game easy.

I imagine we will get a load more reviews, it's going to end up at like 89 or 88 which is amazing for a new ip but I personally feel its too low. This is a plus 90 game easy.

Why do you care so much about the number if you enjoyed it? Like a two point difference is gonna change the perception of how you feel about the game

DavJay

Came in thinking this was an indie level budgeted game but it’s huge. Such a nice surprise them and release them title. Xbox starts 2023 with a huge BANG. Between this and the personas I’m busy.

Top Bottom