• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Fi Rush Steam reviews are glowing as it races up the sales chart

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Also gotta mention. As much as I’m hyped for redfall - cus I love arkane.

How does this game have all this great visual feedback all around you as an AA title? And they have none on their enemies? Like the whole world moves to the beat, enemies react to each hit, I don’t really get it
style, art direction and focus

Lasha

Again, quality is not the point, but if MS had confidence in this game to sell at $60 they would have sold it at that.

Hi-Fi Rush isn't an indie title. It's a 10-12 hour AA action game from a major studio. I think it's far more comparable in scope and perceived consumer value to games like Bayonetta 3, Devil May Cry 5, or Sunset Overdrive than it is to any of the games you mentioned, so it's weird to see it priced more like indie titles.

I think judging Microsoft's confidence based on pricing alone is misguided in HIFI rush's case. A 60$ game is four months of gamepass. A 30$ game is two months. I think the pricing is designed to get gamers to jump on the service while being enticing enough to sway those who wouldn't buy gamepass by looking like a deal.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I think judging Microsoft's confidence based on pricing alone is misguided in HIFI rush's case. A 60$ game is four months of gamepass. A 30$ game is two months. I think the pricing is designed to get gamers to jump on the service while being enticing enough to sway those who wouldn't buy gamepass by looking like a deal.
By that logic though wouldn't a higher price on the store increase the perceived value of having it available on GamePass?

I get that a lower price boosts sales but that only boosts revenues when the higher price doesn't square with consumer expectation, otherwise no one would ever sell games at full price.

I would think most people interested in this game would have no problem with a $60 price tag and those that did would get it on sale later.

Lasha

By that logic though wouldn't a higher price on the store increase the perceived value of having it available on GamePass?

I get that a lower price boosts sales but that only boosts revenues when the higher price doesn't square with consumer expectation, otherwise no one would ever sell games at full price.

I would think most people interested in this game would have no problem with a $60 price tag and those that did would get it on sale later.

Not if your goal is to maximize revenue in aggregate. Microsoft is probably experimenting with price discovery to determine the optimal balance. The blind launch is also a means to test the power of gamepass as a marketing network. Dropping the game unannounced saves a lot on marketing costs which further reduces the need to charge more.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Rekka is hilarious. Really thought she was awesome. Great VA in English and Japanese.

Some of the robots in English are hilariously depressed too.

Peppermint also has great VA.

Absolutely, who is peppermint VA I feel I've heard her voice some of my favourite characters before. Also, 808s true Roland 808 sound effects in the background when she turns up on screen are genius and make a music producer like myself tingle with joy. I want a 909 skin and ill pay so much money.
getting angry over his LOLs is literally what he expects you to do. he's a dedicated troll/fanboy. it'd be far less fun around here if he were gone lol
of course if he LOLs my post then it's all gloves off. rules for thee but not for me

I love thet he wheres his heart on his sleeve and leans into it. When he actually posts its always thought out and legit a good post imo. I respect that massively.
This. Zeke is the man and I hope I'm lucky enough for him to catch one of the few pro MS/xbox comments I make and bless me with his Holy Mark of Ezekiel.
It's a badge of honor and I smile every time I see another tick on my lapel!

SweetShark

Shadow drops have been a successful way to market media though.

And yes, I said market.. because it's a style of marketing lol

Some of the biggest artists in music for instance have shadow dropped albums.

Still somewhat experimental in gaming of course, but there's really no NEED for long marketing windows.
I can't even imagine what will happen if Valve Shadow Drop Half-Life 3.
The whole planet will shit itself.

I've been hearing that it has the soul of a Dreamcast game. Is this true?
The trailer reminded me of MadWorld just with Total Overdose aestethics. But i guess Jet Set Radio comes even closer.
I like the visuals, but that trailer still turns me away, even after reading this positivity here and trying to look at it with a positive attitute.
"yep, that's me and you are probably..."
"this is awesome"
"i'm here baby"
just sounds like leaning heavily into the obnoxious, combined with the chosen song it appears like trying too hard to be cool without any self aware humor that might migitate it.

Would I have gamepass I would check it out, but would most definitely not buying it without a demo.
Nevertheless congrats to MS if this might continue the lower budget success after High on Life and a first good title to a probably much better 2023 after lacking 2022.

May not be exactly the same but it is absolutely something like that.
No...not really... You can keep saying it, doesn't make it true. Unless of course we say every action game with a quipy main character is just like every other one, then I guess almost all games are the same. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
No...not really... You can keep saying it, doesn't make it true. Unless of course we say every action game with a quipy main character is just like every other one, then I guess almost all games are the same. 🤷‍♂️
You can say the same also, doesn’t make it true also. I had cringed in the first 16 seconds of the trailer.

Batiman

Banned
Looking at the emojis I knew Ezekiel was gonna be the one person to throw a laughing emoji. Lol dudes really invested console wars.

Edit. Just seen someone else call him out lol.

Great game just made it to the third boss

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
Judging by the screenshots alone and the positive reviews it looks like I need to pick up some Mountain Dew on the way home tonight before I download this game.

twilo99

Why does game pass make the shadow drop easy? And why would ANYONE buy this on steam when they can get it for free on rental service game pass on pc? Why support the devs purchasing the game when they can line Microsoft’s pockets with game pass?

You don’t think the devs get paid from gamepass?

MacReady13

You don’t think the devs get paid from gamepass?
I think they’d get more if the game sells millions of copies after being released on series X/s and pc! I’m quite certain tango would be stocked seeing steam sales rising as opposed to seeing 5 millions hours of total gameplay on game pass!

Last edited:
You can say the same also, doesn’t make it true also. I had cringed in the first 16 seconds of the trailer.
Well, I can make that statement because I've played both games. Regardless, all I can say at this point is if you let that superficial reason stop you from playing it, you're missing out on a very charming, very fun action game.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Why does game pass make the shadow drop easy? And why would ANYONE buy this on steam when they can get it for free on rental service game pass on pc? Why support the devs purchasing the game when they can line Microsoft’s pockets with game pass?
Different people have different play habits. If you're the sort of person who likes to play a handful of favorite games over and over, keeping an active GamePass subscription might not have the same value. Some people really like knowing that they "own" a game irrevocably as well.

It might seem weird but a lot of these GamePass games do well on Steam. High on Life did really well for example. Hi-Fi Rush seems to be going up the charts a little more slowly, but that's the nature of a shadow drop. Hopefully word of mouth carries it.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
And why would ANYONE buy this on steam when they can get it for free on rental service game pass on pc?
Do people REALLY not understand that game rental services do not work for everyone?

If I play a game I want it to be part of my library of games I can play at any time.. if I want to take a break from the game and pick it up again in a year, or 2 years, or 5 years.. I can.

MacReady13

Do people REALLY not understand that game rental services do not work for everyone?

If I play a game I want it to be part of my library of games I can play at any time.. if I want to take a break from the game and pick it up again in a year, or 2 years, or 5 years.. I can.
You are speaking my language my friend. I’m a vocal critic of ALL rental services. I was just being facetious!

Kvally

Banned
why would ANYONE buy this on steam when they can get it for free on rental service game pass on pc? Why support the devs purchasing the game when they can line Microsoft’s pockets with game pass?
I don't want to subscribe to Game Pass or PS Plus (Essential/Extra/Premium/Whatever), EA Play, Ubisoft+, etc. I prefer to buy my games on day one from Microsoft and Sony (as well as third party developers).

MacReady13

I don't want to subscribe to Game Pass or PS Plus (Essential/Extra/Premium/Whatever), EA Play, Ubisoft+, etc. I prefer to buy my games on day one from Microsoft and Sony (as well as third party developers).
I hear you my friend. I’m exactly the same. You can count me out of having gaming rental services. I own none of them and it’ll stay that way forever.

Ozriel

M$FT
Why does game pass make the shadow drop easy?

With Gamepass, Barrier to entry is much lower for many, and with many players day one, word of mouth will drive some of the marketing you lose out on when you do shadow drops.

I think they’d get more if the game sells millions of copies after being released on series X/s and pc! I’m quite certain tango would be stocked seeing steam sales rising as opposed to seeing 5 millions hours of total gameplay on game pass!

Tango staff are Microsoft employees. They get paid salaries. No difference in their remuneration whether retail or GP has the higher splits.

If there are any bonuses, they’d likely be tied to reviews and/or user metrics.

twilo99

Well if you are certain then it must be..

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Looking at the emojis I knew Ezekiel was gonna be the one person to throw a laughing emoji. Lol dudes really invested console wars.

Edit. Just seen someone else call him out lol.

Great game just made it to the third boss
Just ignore him. You can’t feed the trolls. Just know every time he posts one of his LOL’s, you know he’s crying on the inside. He reacts more than most. That’s a lot of tears he dropping.

Last edited:
Because you get instant word of mouth from millions. And you don't need retail money exclusively to recoup dev cost.

DaGwaphics

getting angry over his LOLs is literally what he expects you to do. he's a dedicated troll/fanboy. it'd be far less fun around here if he were gone lol
of course if he LOLs my post then it's all gloves off. rules for thee but not for me

He has almost single-handedly boosted my reactions score to a point where I can masquerade as a productive member of the forum. :messenger_beaming:

Thanks Zekey babe.

SweetShark

You know, I just realized that if big companies did more often shadow drops, that mean less money for the advertisement and more for the development.

I was joking before that shadow dropping HL3 will surprise everyone, but maybe it will be so great that it won't need advertisement in the first place.

Last edited:

Larxia

You know, I just realized that if big companies did more often shadow drops, that mean less money for the advertisement and more for the development.

I was joking before that shadow dropping HL3 will surprise everyone, but maybe it will be so great that it won't need advertisement in the first place.
It also seems like people are much more excited when it's a surprise announcement with immediate release like this, than when they already knew about the game for a while.
It also feels nice to see a release like this because it feels more... true? More real. It's not something built over some "hype" and journalists previews and whatever, I'm not sure how to explain it, seems more legitimate.

Top Bottom