• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Fi Rush Was a "Break Out Hit" For Xbox, Says Aaron Greenberg

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

Vice President of Xbox Games Marketing, Aaron Greenberg has issued a small statement on Twitter following previous claims that Hi-Fi Rush “didn’t make the money it needed to make”.

In the latest episode of the Game Mess Decides podcast, Industry Insider Jeff Grubb said that Hi-Fi Rush “didn’t make the money it needed to make”. The comment was picked up industry-wide, which has seemingly prompted Aaron Greenberg to clear up the matter.

On Twitter, Greenberg said, “Hi-Fi RUSH was a break-out hit for us and our players in all key measurements and expectations. We couldn’t be happier with what the team at Tango Gameworks delivered with this surprise release.”

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

Its getting bad for Grubb when Xbox brass calls out an Xbox shill

Grubb keeps saying stupid shit and keeps getting proven wrong yet every podcast he says something else stupid

5oO8YiW.png

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm not really sure you can measure this a success given the Game pass effect. I doubt the sales were anything to talk about given that this was on game pass. So in that regard it's easy for the pr machine to call this a breakout hit when people might just be looking for something to play on a fairly scared system to be honest. So the mental gymnastics with this are kind of irrelevant as it's a fairly Niche game that I think is pretty fun but isn't exactly Hogwarts Legacy here.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Put it on PS....feels like a PS game anyway.

It would probably sell like crazy. They would get their "user engagement" from Gamepass players and they would "get dat MONEY" from PS players.
Or it wouldn't....because PS players would see this as a "ewww why would I pay for a game that's free on gamepass...gross".

Just test the waters.

Do the same thing they are going to do with CoD. They need PS players for CoD to be successful, just start doing that now.

Fuck...just start selling software...forget about your console.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well, that other thread didn't age well...

I'm not really sure you can measure this a success given the Game pass effect. I doubt the sales were anything to talk about given that this was on game pass. So in that regard it's easy for the pr machine to call this a breakout hit when people might just be looking for something to play on a fairly scared system to be honest. So the mental gymnastics with this are kind of irrelevant as it's a fairly Niche game that I think is pretty fun but isn't exactly Hogwarts Legacy here.
That's the thing, minimum sales considering it's on Game Pass and kinda increasing the level of engagement, subs and interests that Game Pass earned are definitely two metrics they may have used, something we shouldn't directly compare to traditional game metrics measurement. The thing here is that only they know what was successful for them and only they tell us if it was or wasn't successful.

It's like Nintendo releasing Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Drear even if they're not Pokemon level successes, they fill a role in their grand scheme, it's not always about individual sales but how they fit among big hitters, though it seemed to hit big enough on its own imo.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
"On Twitter, Greenberg said, “Hi-Fi RUSH was a break-out hit for us and our players in all key measurements and expectations." Some hidden qualifiers in that statement that do nothing to challenge the original comment.

Like, on the only platform without GAMEPASS, STEAM,, the game had a max of 6K concurrent players and is all but forgotten at this point. Now if we're not talking about actual sales and just some nebulous measure of engagement as a "key measurement" then sure.

. . .all of this is to say that neither person may be technically wrong - and honestly what would this guy say about a small indie-sized game that got stealth released?

Ristifer

Well, considering it's gaf, there are two ways to look at this:

1) Grubb said it flopped, so people who hate Xbox/Gamepass/whatever will hop into his lap like Santa Claus.
2) Greenberg says it was a breakout hit, so people who love Xbox will breathe a sigh of relief that their plastic box has been redeemed for a day.

j.k.2021

Banned
This is what I came here to say as well. If MS/Xbox didn't care about the game and was disappointed in the sales, they just wouldn't say anything because the future of the franchise and the nature of the release wouldn't matter. There is absolutely no reason for Greenberg to lie here.
Not to mention, Tango gameworks started working on their next big game weeks ago and they are already growing by hiring 30+ staff.That sounds like a flop. 🤡

Lasha

Jeff Grub was definitely talking shit. There was no substance or rationale behind his claims. The interview spent a sentence on saying it didn't do well before meandering about Gamepass.

The metric doesn't matter to us. Microsoft says that its happy with the game so it refutes Grub's claim unless he has something further to back it up. I'd be happy to hear him back up what he said with more than just a throwaway comment.

Markio128

Jeff Grub was definitely talking shit. There was no substance or rationale behind his claims. The interview spent a sentence on saying it didn't do well before meandering about Gamepass.

The metric doesn't matter to us. Microsoft says that its happy with the game so it refutes Grub's claim unless he has something further to back it up. I'd be happy to hear him back up what he said with more than just a throwaway comment.
I think Grubb backed it up as much as Greenburg tbh.
That being said, the game turned out good, so that’s my gauge of success.

Eh.....I don't like Greenberg, but if a corporate executive directly refutes unsubstantiated rumors from a well-known journalist then I'm inclined to believe that executive.

The shills and fakes love him tho . He helps to provide them with all the good stuff.

Top Bottom