• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Fi Rush Was a "Break Out Hit" For Xbox, Says Aaron Greenberg

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
We are back full circle now. LOL
5 years of this shit lol

Happy Dog GIF by Maryanne Chisholm - MCArtist

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
after all this crazy mess, I decided to get gamepass and play the damn thing. It’s a great game. Deserved all the praise it got. The animation and art-style is incredible. Hats off to the developer.

the-interview-ames-franco.gif

Everyone whose played it has given the game near universal praises here and elsewhere. All pretenses aside, it's genuinely a good, fun, character action / rhythm hybrid game.

During the PS4 they created more franchises and continued almost all of their PS3 ones.

Except that's straight horseshit if you actually look at it. During PS4 they created Horizon Zero Dawn, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, Bloodborne, Until Dawn, etc. Virtually every IP created during PS3 also had a sequel during PS4 too so suggesting they didn’t release as many of their own games is also bullshit. You can laugh at VR all you like but that's not playing it safe.

There's only one company playing it safe and not doing these things and relying mostly on acquired established IPs. By your own logic they should have been on fire with the increased competition and not 'playing it safe'.

It’s horseshit if you have a bad memory I guess. Counting eight years from launch, PS3 had over 90 retail from Sony themselves, probably well over 100. I forget all of the dumb PS Move games they released. And over 30 new IPs. And this isn’t counting any of their digital only games that were also from Sony and also new IPs.

PS4 on the other hand saw around 50 from Sony in that same time frame and less than twenty new IPs.

Like I said, they were able to coast most of the gen because the Xbone and WiiU were such failures. That doesn’t mean they didn’t try or they didn’t release good games. But they clearly realized they didn’t need to spend as much making games.

To make the numbers even worse, during PS3’s prime they were also heavily supporting the PSP with its own games and exclusives. During PS4, Sony hardly supported the PSVita. Imagine if Sony could have solely focused on PS3.

All this to again say that any company in a dominant position being unchallenged is bad for all of us.

Gambit2483

the-interview-ames-franco.gif

Everyone whose played it has given the game near universal praises here and elsewhere. All pretenses aside, it's genuinely a good, fun, character action / rhythm hybrid game.

It's the best 1st party game of the year (so far) and most likely their best exclusive game in the last 18 months....yet they can't bother to print it on a disc? It's crap like this that doesn't make me feel bad for them if they claim it did not sell well enough outside of Gamepass.

Last edited:

Three

It’s horseshit if you have a bad memory I guess. Counting eight years from launch, PS3 had over 90 retail from Sony themselves, probably well over 100. I forget all of the dumb PS Move games they released. And over 30 new IPs. And this isn’t counting any of their digital only games that were also from Sony and also new IPs.
What's "retail", you mean releases? For every dumb move game there are way more VR games during PS4. Try listing these '90 retail' from PS3.
PS4 on the other hand saw around 50 from Sony in that same time frame and less than twenty new IPs.
50 what? New Games? 'Retail'? You seem to be struggling to quantify whatever it is you are quantifying.

Last edited:
It's the best 1st party game of the year (so far) and most likely their best exclusive game in the last 18 months....yet they can't bother to print it on a disc? It's crap like this that doesn't make me feel bad for them if they claim it did not sell well enough outside of Gamepass.
So why are you shitting on gamepass and not steam? Unfortunately it's the way of the future, and it won't help when Sony removes their Disc PS5 sku.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

So why are you shitting on gamepass and not steam? Unfortunately it's the way of the future, and it won't help with Sony removes their Disc PS5 sku.
Because I haven't seen a disc based PC game in over 10 years...? Not every region has blinding internet speeds or can afford $300 HDD upgrades. It may be the future 10 years from now but it's currently the present where disc based games are still VERY much a thing and leading in sales.

That's a pretty crappy excuse you have there.

Because I haven't seen a disc based PC game in over 10 years...? Not every region has blinding internet speeds or can afford $300 HDD upgrades. It may be the future 10 years from now but it's currently the present where disc based games are still VERY much a thing and leading in sales.

That's a pretty crappy excuse you have there.
How is it crappy?
Are you not aware that Sony is getting rid of their Disc PS5 and will introduce a separate drive? Xbox seems to be pushing the S more than ever, another digital console, and PC made that move over a decade ago.

You're ranting about something that's slowly becoming obsolete, it's time you accepted some games will not have physical releases.

Gambit2483

How is it crappy?
Are you not aware that Sony is getting rid of their Disc PS5 and will introduce a separate drive? Xbox seems to be pushing the S more than ever, another digital console, and PC made that move over a decade ago.

You're ranting about something that's slowly becoming obsolete, it's time you accepted some games will not have physical releases.

They are pushing series S and yet their software sales for physical are doo doo. That then translates to publishers skipping out on releasing titles on their platform becauseits not going to recoup costs in sales. Software drives hardware and mindshare.

I'm not saying digital isn't the future many many years from now, but for now, currently, it's a losing strategy to completely ignore physical, especially when physical still takes up more than 60% of your software sales. Don't be surprised if Tears of the Kingdom breaks all kinds of physical sales records next month.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
after all this crazy mess, I decided to get gamepass and play the damn thing. It’s a great game. Deserved all the praise it got. The animation and art-style is incredible. Hats off to the developer.
This is what gaming should be. Fucking hats off to you man, glad you tried it and ultimately enjoyed it. It's a brilliant game, and thats what's important. Not slimy marketing execs or rumour mill "reporters" talking shit.

Great games, are great games and we got a really good one at the start of this year.

Season 11 Friends GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
One day it is a failure that put a nail in xbox’s coffin the next day it is a break out hit, what is it??? Who do we trust????

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just finished watching the video and in the final minutes it seems like he's more pissed off at his name being used in conjunction with the news, and not apologetic.

Wait so even in his “walk it back” video he’s still claiming HiFi didn’t make the money it needed to make 😆

He learned nothing. Also why did he cut his hair?

Gambit2483

Wait so even in his “walk it back” video he’s still claiming HiFi didn’t make the money it needed to make 😆

He learned nothing. Also why did he cut his hair?
Apparently he was only reporting "what he heard". Whether "what he heard" is the factual case or not is anyone's guess since MS no longer reports numbers or talks about financial successes anymore

supernova8

Banned
Then: "Based on what I've heard... it just straight up didn't make the money it needed to make"
Now: "errr... I don't know what it needed to do" (ie he has no idea how much it cost or how much it needed to make).

Either he has sources telling him that Hi Fi Rush didn't perform as well as expected or doesn't have sources telling him that stuff.

There's no in-between.

Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Then: "Based on what I've heard... it just straight up didn't make the money it needed to make"
Now: "errr... I don't know what it needed to do" (ie he has no idea how much it cost or how much it needed to make).

Either he has sources telling him that Hi Fi Rush didn't perform as well as expected or doesn't have sources telling him that stuff.

There's no in-between.

Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
there are in-between

Top Bottom