• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima Believes He'll Still Be Making Video Games as an AI in 100 Years

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

When speaking with IGN in a recent interview, Hideo Kojima was asked what philosophies he wants to leave behind at Kojima Productions 50 – 100 years from now. Of course, provided we don't discover a way to extend our lives in the next 40 years or so, Kojima will probably pass on within that time range. However, he plans to lead Kojima Productions for the rest of his life and noted that even after he's gone, he may have an AI take over for him and carry on his legacy and mindset.

"That's a good question," said Kojima. "I've never really thought about that. I'll keep leading so long as I'm around, and all that matters to me is that our roots when it comes to creation are kept intact. But you know, I'll probably become an AI and stick around. You need to be stimulated in lots of different ways if you want to keep creating new things, so I imagine I'll keep collaborating with others and taking in new things even if I'm an AI."

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Jimmy Fallon What GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

night13x

in 100 years:

Konami CEO AI: Please make new Metal Gear for us

Hideo AI: Fuck Konami

Some things never change.

In 100 years we will for sure be able to insert a game designer from 2022s habits, likenesses and style to create video games they would be able to create in 2122…this not an insane statement. Even today AI can imitate style of dead artist. 100 years from now it will be child’s play…literally.

Last edited:

RaySoft

AI in five years will be exponentially better than today. An Hideo AI could actually be more or less be created today even.
Strange reading all the responses here, very polarizing topic I guess.

consoul

Someone ask GPTai to write Kojima game script.
i bet your ass it's already possible today lol

Our new Hideo Kojima videogame, "The Fractured World," is a thrilling action-adventure that takes players on a journey through a world filled with mystery and danger. Set in a post-apocalyptic world where advanced technology and supernatural powers coexist, players will take on the role of a skilled assassin who must navigate through a series of challenging missions and make tough decisions that will shape the course of the game.

Featuring stunning graphics and immersive gameplay, "The Fractured World" offers a unique and memorable experience that fans of Hideo Kojima's work will not want to miss. With a gripping story, memorable characters, and a vast, open world to explore, "The Fractured World" is sure to be a hit with gamers of all ages.

Last edited:

Sophist

AI in five years will be exponentially better than today. An Hideo AI could actually be more or less be created today even.
Strange reading all the responses here, very polarizing topic I guess.
I don't believe that. Today AIs are good at cross referencing information but they are not alive at all. To give you a specific example, you could train a today AI with everything Kojima has done/said before Death Stranding then ask that AI one hundred times to make Kojima next game, i doubt any answer would come close to Death Stranding. Unlike Kojima, the AI doesn't live, it's not alive. Death Stranding is a thing because of Kojima life experiences; He met Benicio Del Torro which then made him meet the dude from walking dead then ... For an AI to do that, you would have to run a very huge simulation of our entire world where AI Kojima would meet AI Del Torro, for example.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'll take a Hideo Kojima AI game over Uncharted 52 every day of the week and twice on Sunday. When a robot has more heart, soul, and creativity than actual humans. Sad!

Philfrag

Banned
Well considering that AI will inevitably be a major player in creative/art spaces in the future, and that AI for any particular job, has to be programmed based on parameters already set by artists who have contributed to the overall human consciousness (culture).....He's probably right in some way. I doubt he will be consciously doing this in anyway, but remnants of his consciousness would probably appear in AI's that are trying to replicate certain styles of videogames. I'm using the term 'consciousness' very liberally here, but I predict that in the future, using these terms to define these virtual structures probably won't be too far fetched. You could say that whoever invented watercolours or a certain style of brush stroke has parts of themselves captured in code that develops image AI today. The technique had to come from a person and has now been replicated in a virtual space. It really depends whether you think this 'capture' is synonymous with a sliver of consciousness or not. I think as AI's become more prevalent in the future, our culture will shift to allow for our language to accommodate that stretch. Right now we're still at a level of intellectual infancy on the subject, so its just easier to eyeroll and laugh at Kojima.

RaySoft

I don't believe that. Today AIs are good at cross referencing information but they are not alive at all. To give you a specific example, you could train a today AI with everything Kojima has done/said before Death Stranding then ask that AI one hundred times to make Kojima next game, i doubt any answer would come close to Death Stranding. Unlike Kojima, the AI doesn't live, it's not alive. Death Stranding is a thing because of Kojima life experiences; He met Benicio Del Torro which then made him meet the dude from walking dead then ... For an AI to do that, you would have to run a very huge simulation of our entire world where AI Kojima would meet AI Del Torro, for example.
Who said you need AI to "be alive" for an AI to make an original Hideo game? (or any original piece actually) I see your point, I as well don't think AI will reach singularity anytime soon. But that is not the point. The AI has enough training data (and even Death Stranding now, wich is AI gold, to make even wider strands (yes, I know)) Creative humans also draw inspiration from others. AI is the same thing. Could you call a product of an AI original? Yes. Was it created by an self-aware entity? Ofcourse not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom