• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima calls his upcoming game "almost like a new medium"

Bartski

Gold Member
In the latest interview for The Guardian, the main man reflects on his past and shares some fresh hints about the future.

All Kojima will say about the other project is that it’s something he has wanted to make for years, but that the technology has never been sufficient until now.

“It’s almost like a new medium,” he says. “If this succeeds, it will turn things around – not just in the game industry, but in the movie industry as well.” The challenge, Kojima says, is building the infrastructure: “you can have successful experiments, but there’s a long distance between an experiment and a place where it’s something that becomes a part of everyday usage.”
From a business perspective, he says, the second or third person to attempt something new is more likely to succeed commercially.

“For the first person, everything is hard. But I want to be the first. I want to keep being the first.”

The game in question is likely ‘Overdose’, one of two games currently understood to be in development at Kojima Productions. The second is presumed to be Death Stranding 2.

Kojima appeared at the Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase in June to reveal that he’s teaming up with Xbox Game Studios to make a game he’s wanted to make for a while, but was previously unable to due to technological limitations. “There is a game I have always wanted to make,” Kojima said.

200.gif

Last edited:

-Zelda-

Banned
I kind of still want to see him do a survival horror game to be honest. That being said, I was sadly disappointed in Death Stranding. I can see that from what is there, though, why people would enjoy it, so I am not hating. Just wasnt for me, like a lot of other popular games I have tried to make work lately, did not for me.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not going to hate on the guy for not wanting to "be safe" ... remember that Gaf? How whenever a new game is announced and it's too familiar to the past games, they are just "being safe?" And complaints ensue.

I admire his ambition to keep challenging himself, his staff, and trying to find ways to evolve his craft.

Fbh

Not going to hate on the guy for not wanting to "be safe" ... remember that Gaf? How whenever a new game is announced and it's too familiar to the past games, they are just "being safe?" And complaints ensue.

I admire his ambition to keep challenging himself, his staff, and trying to find ways to evolve his craft.
Agreed.
I didn't particularly like Death Stranding but I can respect the dude for trying something new. Too many of these older well known creators end up making "spiritual successors" to their most popular stuff which are just more of the same with a different name. At least Kojima is trying out new stuff and taking advantage that he is one of the few people that can get decent funding for his crazy gaming ideas.

It's a game where you control only Qualley's feet for 12 hours with an extreme focus lens.

Damn he is collaborating with Tarantino now?

Last edited:

Gojiira

I just don't see this being any good tbh, a cloud based, possibly live action, possibly cloud based, episodic game is just going to be hugely limited in terms of interactivity. It could still have a cool setting, and be a novel experience but mehhhh

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Even in games like Beyond Two Souls you move around and use telepathy and other actions.

What I mean is he could create a game where its just a movie with pauses for decisions and just that. No other interactive element.
So, a visual novel but with the budget for mostly scenes instead of mostly stills. Or, Dragon's Lair. Or any FMV adventure.

Last edited:

Ezekiel_

Banned
Even in games like Beyond Two Souls you move around and use telepathy and other actions.

What I mean is he could create a game where its just a movie with pauses for decisions and just that. No other interactive element.
That's been done.

Check out Black Mirror: Bandersnatch on Netflix.

There's a couple others on Netflix as well.

The rumour about a Silent Hill game that sends out SMS messages would have been novel, but that seems to be Silent Hill: Ascension, handled by another team.

So I'm curious to see what Hideo is talking about.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I'm pretty sure he says something like this about literally every game he works on.

Reactions: Isa

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
tbf, kojima is one of the few devs willing to take risk, im on with that as long its not always online/cloud/nft crap.

spons

Gold Member
If it's as daft (for lack of a better word) as Death Stranding I'm out. Metal Gear never interested me either. In fact I don't see many redeeming qualities in his games.

Top Bottom