• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima is not a fan of “Director’s Cut” label for Death Stranding

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

200.gif

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I agree with everything he said. However if this is truly the case the title "Director's Cut" is very misleading and he only has himself to blame (unless the publisher forced it on him, I would have thought he would have enough weight to name his own game?).

Last edited:

Hugare

The thing is: the running time always has to be shortened in game development

The game scope is always adjusted according to budget and time.

Theres no such thing as a AAA game where the staff goes "phew, yeah, we are done here". They deliver what they can in that time/money limit.

The guy should know about it better than anyone *cof* MGS V *cof*

Last edited:
I love to shit on super fans and marketing surrounding Kojima, but I gotta give him respect for at least calling this out. He's right to an extent, but Director's Plus sounds dumb.

Last edited:
I agree with everything he said. However if this is truly the case the title "Director's Cut" is very misleading and he only has himself to blame (unless the publisher forced it on him, I would have thought he would have enough weight to name his own game?).
Director’s Cut. Can just mean a revision. Doesnt have to mean anything he said. Just like the Zack Synder crap everyone cried about.

Sgt.Asher

Death Stranding is just fun to watch (not the game but its existence). It's peak kojima.
The first trailers made it out to be some cosmic horror game cobbled from the remains of silent hills. As more trailers came out, and Kojima talking. It seemed like he had no idea what direction to go. Then the game ended up being a walking simulator, with the cosmic horror parts being awful.
Now there is a directors cut that adds things?
The more i think about it kojima is the JJ Abrams of video games

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
He's looking into it too much.

The average person who sees a "director's cut" version is likely going to assume the movie has more content as a whole. Whether it's deleted scenes, commentary tracks, alternate ending etc....

The typical person isn't going to see the term and take it literally based on the true meaning it may mean to a movie director.

ShadowLag

Who named it then? Isn't he in control of his own studio? Why would Sony tell a dev what to name their own game?

HAL-01

Who named it then? Isn't he in control of his own studio? Why would Sony tell a dev what to name their own game?
Sony owns the IP, they have the final say on how the game is marketed. That said this doesn’t seem to be a point of contention, it’s just Kojima reflecting on how there’s not really a name for what he did with this rerelease

They should have at least cut 70% of chapter 3 though. Its puzzlingly longer than any other chapter, making you think this is how much all chapters will last. Not to mention the complete waste of time fetch quests between 2 lovers. Total filler.

They should have at least cut 70% of chapter 3 though. Its puzzlingly longer than any other chapter, making you think this is how much all chapters will last. Not to mention the complete waste of time fetch quests between 2 lovers. Total filler.
Agree…. The way some quests are deliberately at either ends of the map was also annoying and then you hit a bt area and it fucks all your inventory up

and that fucking beach

The thing is: the running time always has to be shortened in game development

The game scope is always adjusted according to budget and time.

Theres no such thing as a AAA game where the staff goes "phew, yeah, we are done here". They deliver what they can in that time/money limit.

The guy should know about it better than anyone *cof* MGS V *cof*
Star Citizen.

Kuranghi

It IS stupid when they clearly stated all the new content was created after the production finished, but its also just a new name to make it seem... new. Is it really worth devoting much of your thoughts to? He probably forgot about it as soon as he finished that tweet.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
A distinction without a difference. Added with newly produced or added from extra older material, it is still additional material curated by the director.

Javthusiast

Banned
So it's a Sony mandate to distinguish their game of the year editions, complete editions etc. under a prestigious name for their first party games?

Some oscar bait type shit, but I don't give a fuck in the end what's on the box or digital thumbnail.

Top Bottom