• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima Reveals One of His Greatest Inventions in Metal Gear Solid Games

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a recent tweet, Kojima affirmed that the radio communication system was one of his best inventions in game design. The idea came up during the development of Metal Gear Solid because he wanted players to infiltrate areas alone. That was partly due to the technical limitations of controlling several NPCs during the action. Therefore, using voice support was a handy choice, as players would be directed using only audio, which was easier and cheaper to implement than a full-fledged team system.

The radio system was fairly functional and, according to the designer, based on what special forces were using at the time to communicate during similar situations. Using it, it was possible to develop Metal Gear Solid’s character arcs and story while giving crucial gameplay information to players from afar. It was an elegant solution that was used throughout the whole franchise and then copied by many similar games in the genre.

protonion

Codec in mgs1-3 is absolutely incredible.

There is an insane amount of dialogue but that is not all.

The conversations depend on where you are in the story, the location, the weapon/item equiped (call Natasha in mgs1 while in a box!) and even what knowledge you have from other calls.
I was floored in mgs2 when during a call Snake said something like "I already know that", when Otacon repeated something another character said in an optional codec conversation.

There are tons of easter eggs too like making May Ling/Rose angry by not saving etc.

Replaying these games and focusing on the codec is an awesome experience!

Deerock71

Cherry picking a 1 minute joke scene from a series spanning 8 games.
Comedy is harder than drama, so this scene, being legit funny, proves his genius. For example, I still can't believe Rare pulled of Conker's Bad Fur Day; it was peak Rare, with one funny set piece after another.

radewagon

Let me preface by saying that I am a great fan of Kojima's work and do consider him to be a genius-level game director. But, codec conversations as being one of his greatest inventions...

April Fools?

Batiman

Banned
Not the biggest Kojima fan.
But I agree it was a great way to tell the story through the radio talk. Have fond
Memories of MGS1 and that’s one of the first things I think of.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Comedy is harder than drama, so this scene, being legit funny, proves his genius. For example, I still can't believe Rare pulled of Conker's Bad Fur Day; it was peak Rare, with one funny set piece after another.
Plus, it actually is kind of genius if you've played the game.
The reason why Johnny has stomach troubles is because he skipped his vaccines due to him being a chicken. But later, when all the PMCs who took nanomachine injections can't control their own bodies, he can.

Hugare

Love all the MGS games, but codec talks are boring as hell

I remember skiping 90% of them. Cutscenes are more than enough to understand the shitty story most of the time.

Talking about Titanic with your girlfriend during a mission in MGS 2 is anything but compelling

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Kojima: "Let's talk about me and myself"

The radio communication system was one of my greatest inventions.

Sniffing Korean Drama GIF by The Swoon

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Cherry picking a 1 minute joke scene from a series spanning 8 games.
Cherry picking? No Kojima is a writing genius every action he takes has purpose, like when Death Stranding had a canteen that turned water into monster energy drink.

It's an exploration of what art truly is.

But did he put radio on the internet?

Oh look another instance of Kojima’s hubris. I would be very happy for this guy to quietly retire, if I’m completely honest :)

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Yes Kojimbo, we all know how important you are to history.
Without you, the game industry wouldn't even exist.
Heck, even cameras wouldn't exist.

Last edited:
Top Bottom