• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima says the Death Stranding movie is 'taking a direction that nobody has tried before' with a game adaptation

Draugoth

Gold Member
aUJvrEyNGzzLZgW9BsYQDi-1200-80.jpg.webp

Hideo Kojima says the upcoming Death Stranding(opens in new tab) movie will be very different to other big-screen adaptations of videogames. In a wide-ranging interview with IGN, the acclaimed game developer discussed cinema's difficult relationship with video games, and how that influenced his thinking about the planned adaptation of Death Stranding.

"The failure of film adaptation of games from a while back has led to a lot of movies that cater to gamers, right? That's why they have the same kind of look as a game," Kojima says. "I'm taking the approach of changing and evolving the world of Death Stranding in a way that suits film well. I made Death Stranding to be a game, and games are games. There's no real need to turn them into films. So in a way, the Death Stranding movie is taking a direction that nobody has tried before with a movie adaptation of a game."

damidu

Man this guy is so full of shit.

I’m sure he’s a decent human being and all that, but as a creative I think he’s an absolute hack.
he obviously knows a thing or two about game design, but i hate whoever convinced him that he is a master storyteller.

he is so off the charts bad at it, it almost goes all the way to the other side bordering being interesting. almost

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
he obviously knows a thing or two about game design, but i hate whoever convinced him that he is a master storyteller.

he is so off the charts bad at it, it almost goes all the way to the other side bordering being interesting. almost
I have to believe that people like his stuff ironically because MGS V is about the only thing by him that didn't make wanna swallow cyanide.

NinjaBoiX

I honestly don’t even give him props for game design to be honest. I mean they’re far from amateurish, but most of his games have at worst fundamental mechanical failings, or even at best to throw him somewhat of a bone, seemingly intentional “quirks” that appear to be there to irritate the player.

I think he’s definitely an interesting figure in the industry, and I’m glad he exists to shake up the status quo.

But I also think he makes games that are very hard work, for all the wrong reasons.

I respect him, I just think his games are rife with issues, and just not good imo.

Deerock71

Well, of course it's going to be a different movie, because it was a genre that didn't even exist until Kojima created it! It, by proxy of Kojima's brilliance, might spawn a whole new theater going experience!
Well Done Yes GIF by Groupon

Banned
maybe a 100% 1 to 1 adaptation of the cutscenes, and in-between them added scenes where the gameplay would have been.

how long are all cutscenes of the game combined?

One of the main issues when it comes to gaming movies is time. Take Death Stranding for example. It takes multiple hours to tell the story, it's intricacies are many, and player experience was a huge part in how fans of the game felt once completing it. If you are going to make a movie of it that's going to satisfy someone who's invested in the story, it's going to take a lot of time first and foremost. That's not even getting into intangibles like "gaming experience" and whatnot. Maybe a three part series like Lord of the Rings would at least cover the time aspect and give it enough room to play out properly.

Neff

Please tell me who the actual fuck is going to see this.

The man has such a huge ego

He's definitely high on his own farts and insanely self-indulgent as a result, but I have to hand it to him, he makes good games.

Hugare

Please tell me who the actual fuck is going to see this.

He's definitely high on his own farts and insanely self-indulgent as a result, but I have to hand it to him, he makes good games.
Yes he does, but you can make legendary games without sounding like a pretentious dick

There are stories about Miyamoto being hard to work with, but in public, he is very humble. And he is fucking Miyamoto.

You also dont see Miyazaki acting like this. And damn if he isnt a man that could act like that if he wanted to.

It's especially jarring considering japanese culture where people even in those positions usually are humble about their success

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Yes he does, but you can make legendary games without sounding like a pretentious dick

There are stories about Miyamoto being hard to work with, but in public, he is very humble. And he is fucking Miyamoto.

You also dont see Miyazaki acting like this. And damn if he isnt a man that could act like that if he wanted to.

It's especially jarring considering japanese culture where people even in those positions usually are humble about their success
Kojima has an obsession with American cinema and culture. I think its where he gets his non-humble bravado from.

Jennings

I'm not watching this movie if the first three hours are just going to be noninteractive cutscenes and a bad UI.

Chukhopops

Safe predictions:
- Kojima will be in the movie
- He will play a never seen before character named Hideo Directorman who will be responsible for the state of the world (his creativity was too powerful and caused the Death Stranding)
- He will have a 20-minute threesome scene with Lea Seydoux and Stefanie Joosten with a gigantic flying dead whale in the background

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Safe predictions:
- Kojima will be in the movie
- He will play a never seen before character named Hideo Directorman who will be responsible for the state of the world (his creativity was too powerful and caused the Death Stranding)
- He will have a 20-minute threesome scene with Lea Seydoux and Stefanie Joosten with a gigantic flying dead whale in the background

SelfishClearcutCero-size_restricted.gif

mdkirby

hmm usually all 'movies based on games' get slammed for taking huge liberties with the source material to make it supposedly more 'accessible' to a wider audience, and end up with nobody liking them. Yet his comment "The failure of film adaptation of games from a while back has led to a lot of movies that cater to gamers, right?" seems to imply that he believes the failing of most games movies is that they are TOO CLOSELY related to the game, and designed to appeal to gamers/existing fans (which id argue is ostensibly not true at all), and instead he should take liberties with it....exactly like the shit show that has been resident evil etc.

On the flip side, I do think he should be able to pull off a pretty interesting movie.

Top Bottom