• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hilarious new NMS mod changes every player into Sean Murray, who begs people to delete it!

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.gamepur.com/news/new-no-mans-sky-mod-transforms-all-players-into-sean-murray
Source: https://www.pcgamesn.com/no-mans-sky/mod-sean-murray

no-mans-sky-mod-sean-murray-580x334.jpg

Lead developer Sean Murray has taken his place alongside Peter Molyneux in gaming memedom, but he at least has a sense of humour about it. Such is the case today, as Murray begs the world to delete a No Man’s Sky mod that turns every NPC into him.

No Man’s Sky players love Hello Games, but they have a soft spot for the developer’s founder, Sean Murray. Now, modders have made it possible to bring Murray into the game so that everyone can enjoy his eccentric personality and hand gestures.

The new mod, named “Everyone is Sean,” does exactly what you’d expect it to. It gives every player in the game Sean Murray’s head. Regardless of the helmet you’re wearing or the cosmetics you might have enabled at the time, this mod will turn you and everyone around you into Sean Murray.

Source: https://www.gamepur.com/news/new-no-mans-sky-mod-transforms-all-players-into-sean-murray
Source: https://www.pcgamesn.com/no-mans-sky/mod-sean-murray

no-mans-sky-mod-sean-murray-580x334.jpg

Lead developer Sean Murray has taken his place alongside Peter Molyneux in gaming memedom, but he at least has a sense of humour about it. Such is the case today, as Murray begs the world to delete a No Man’s Sky mod that turns every NPC into him.

No Man’s Sky players love Hello Games, but they have a soft spot for the developer’s founder, Sean Murray. Now, modders have made it possible to bring Murray into the game so that everyone can enjoy his eccentric personality and hand gestures.

The new mod, named “Everyone is Sean,” does exactly what you’d expect it to. It gives every player in the game Sean Murray’s head. Regardless of the helmet you’re wearing or the cosmetics you might have enabled at the time, this mod will turn you and everyone around you into Sean Murray.

That is fucking hilarious!!!

Cant believe people are still playing No mans Lie.

But this is funny.
it's nothing like it was at launch. the game has significantly improved with a shit load of major updates. they've redeemed themselves and gone well beyond with the support they've gave. it's a great game and if it's your thing then you could easily sink thousands of hours into it. so it's not surprising people are still playing it.

Nautilus

Banned
it's nothing like it was at launch. the game has significantly improved with a shit load of major updates. they've redeemed themselves and gone well beyond with the support they've gave. it's a great game and if it's your thing then you could easily sink thousands of hours into it. so it's not surprising people are still playing it.
Sean Murray lied through his teeth all during the marketing phase of No Mans Lie.Either because they ran out of money and couldnt continue developing the game they wanted( as in the state it is today) or because of some other reason, It doesnt absolve him of the things he did to get his game off the ground because, lets be honest:The only reason he managed to sell 2 million units at launch week and charge 60 dollars for each unit was because of all the broken promises and lies he told Sony and gamers about all the things the game (couldn't) do.

If its ok to lie or release a broken game only to "fix" it years later, then there is no reason to hate or be mad at companies like EA and activision that do it all the time then.

I understand why Murray did what he did, after all not only No Mans Lie made his company take off and become well known, but it also made him rich.But Im not gonna sit idly and be ok to being lied to about almost every aspect of a product that I might buy.And Ill keep remembering everyone about this fact every chance I get.

Roxkis_ii

Sean and Hello Games have totally redeemed themselves, it’s way past time to let the anger go.
As someone who bought NMS a few months ago, and already have put at least 100 hours over 3 saves, this game is absolutely amazing. Hello Games have completely redeemed themselves plus some.

I think you could argue No Man's Sky is the greatest redemption story in gaming.

With all the free content they have dropped, I can't help but praise Hello Games every chance I get.

With all that said, this mod is a little scary to me.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Sean Murray lied through his teeth all during the marketing phase of No Mans Lie.Either because they ran out of money and couldnt continue developing the game they wanted( as in the state it is today) or because of some other reason, It doesnt absolve him of the things he did to get his game off the ground because, lets be honest:The only reason he managed to sell 2 million units at launch week and charge 60 dollars for each unit was because of all the broken promises and lies he told Sony and gamers about all the things the game (couldn't) do.

If its ok to lie or release a broken game only to "fix" it years later, then there is no reason to hate or be mad at companies like EA and activision that do it all the time then.

I understand why Murray did what he did, after all not only No Mans Lie made his company take off and become well known, but it also made him rich.But Im not gonna sit idly and be ok to being lied to about almost every aspect of a product that I might buy.And Ill keep remembering everyone about this fact every chance I get.
no mans lie so hilarious its like no mans sky but sky rhymes with lie and sean murray lied get it

SafeOrAlone

Banned
He redeemed by sticking to his guns and improving the game for years.
Game has improved but the action itself will remain irredeemable for some.
It's not that the game was broken, then fixed. It's that he tricked everyone into thinking the game was something else, so they would buy it. If I bought the game at launch, I probably would have sold it off. I wouldn't be thanking Sean for fixing the game now.

It was in his best interest to fix the game. No one would have taken him seriously ever again if he didn't.

I'm not saying he should not be forgiven. He should totally be forgiven. But I don't know if you can really redeem NMS for all the people who were lied to and screwed at launch. Maybe with a free game or a box of chocolates it is possible.

Keep fighting the good fight brother.

Nautilus

Banned
It's a good game. What's your problem?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

. . .also, give me a fookin' break.

Roxkis_ii

If I was really hyped for NMS during launch, I can understand having a bad taste in your mouth.
But how long are you going to hold on to this animosity? Is forgiveness never an option? We all make mistakes, some bigger then others, but I think Sean and Hello games have more then made up for the lies at launch.

Nautilus

Banned
If I was really hyped for NMS during launch, I can understand having a bad taste in your mouth.
But how long are you going to hold on to this animosity? Is forgiveness never an option? We all make mistakes, some bigger then others, but I think Sean and Hello games have more then made up for the lies at launch.
You people confuse forgiveness with forgetting.If Hello Games and Sean Murray releases a game in the future that I really like, I will sing praises about the game.But making good games and forgetting the past are two different things.I can like a product from someone I dont like and as a consequence the perspective I have of said person/company can improve, but it still wont change the fact that said person/company screwed up.

Another example is EA.I dont like them as a company in general, but they do make good games once in a blue moon.Such a example of a good game is Jedi Fallen Order, which came as a big surprise.But that dosen't change the fact that they killed Viceral Games and deprived the world of more Dead Space games.Even if the Dead Soace revival rumor is true, the fact dosen't change that we went on 10+ years without a Dead Space game.

You guys forgive and forget too fast.And that is why people like Sean Murray pull this shit: It doesn't matter if you lie about basically everything along the way.As long as you make enough money to keep and grow your company, enough so that you can buy your reputation later, you can get away with anything, because people have the memory of a mosquitto.

Nautilus

Banned

. . .also, give me a fookin' break.

You people confuse forgiveness with forgetting.If Hello Games and Sean Murray releases a game in the future that I really like, I will sing praises about the game.But making good games and forgetting the past are two different things.I can like a product from someone I dont like and as a consequence the perspective I have of said person/company can improve, but it still wont change the fact that said person/company screwed up.

Another example is EA.I dont like them as a company in general, but they do make good games once in a blue moon.Such a example of a good game is Jedi Fallen Order, which came as a big surprise.But that dosen't change the fact that they killed Viceral Games and deprived the world of more Dead Space games.Even if the Dead Soace revival rumor is true, the fact dosen't change that we went on 10+ years without a Dead Space game.

You guys forgive and forget too fast.And that is why people like Sean Murray pull this shit: It doesn't matter if you lie about basically everything along the way.As long as you make enough money to keep and grow your company, enough so that you can buy your reputation later, you can get away with anything, because people have the memory of a mosquitto.

It’s not like that. I think maybe it’s you who are having memory problems. People gave him an ENORMOUS amount of shit. Justifiably. Had that been the end of the story, that would be the end of the story.

But it’s not. They went back, took the time, and fixed the game. They also didn’t charge money for it. They shouldn’t have, because they were fixing a broken game, but in today’s video game market, that’s to be commended as well.

Look, the guy caught plenty of shit. He could’ve taken the money and ran. But he stuck around and tried to make it better. For free. I think we can move on from “No Man’s Lie” at this point.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

You didn't watch the video. Your impression of Sean Murray and the situation regarding promotion of NMS does not line up with reality, particularly the motive you ascribe to Murray's statement.

. . .don't let that stop you from patting yourself on the back though.

ok

Nautilus

Banned
It’s not like that. I think maybe it’s you who are having memory problems. People gave him an ENORMOUS amount of shit. Justifiably. Had that been the end of the story, that would be the end of the story.

But it’s not. They went back, took the time, and fixed the game. They also didn’t charge money for it. They shouldn’t have, because they were fixing a broken game, but in today’s video game market, that’s to be commended as well.

Look, the guy caught plenty of shit. He could’ve taken the money and ran. But he stuck around and tried to make it better. For free. I think we can move on from “No Man’s Lie” at this point.
He didn't charge anything because he made bank with the game. It was probably part of his plan to " excuse and feel sorry" for releasing a game that was built on lies.

I will repeat this once more: He sold 2 million units, each one sold at 60 dollars each, thanks to all his lies or broken promises. He didn't need to charge anything. He made way more money then he ever though he would.I can't find the exact original asking price for the game, but before the game blew up in expectation(and pre orders) the game costed somewhere the 20 to 30 dollars. All that extra income that players paid was used as a kickstarter to finish the game and grow the company, which in turn he made more money by selling even more copies of the "actual" game, which was still priced at 60 dollars.

Sean Murray didnt finish No Mans Lie because of some sense of responsibility or anything like that. If he had anything resembling that, he wouldnt have dissapeared off the face of the earth after the game launched. He did what he did because(most likely) he ran out of money, and that it simply made business sense, since its easier to build upon something that has alot of work done, and the strategy he implemented required him to do so. And even in the worst case scenario, this "redemption arc" already was paid for with the money he got from the launch week sales.

Like I said, if he releases a new game, I will judge the game on its own merits.But if I was a gaming company that were given the chance to do business with him, in the same way that Sony did in which my own company name and reputation would be at stake,I would refuse it at the same moment. You people are too gullible.

Nautilus

Banned
You didn't watch the video. Your impression of Sean Murray and the situation regarding promotion of NMS does not line up with reality, particularly the motive you ascribe to Murray's statement.

. . .don't let that stop you from patting yourself on the back though.
With what reality?Yours?Lying (or rather heavily implying, to the point that he knew that people would take that as an yes) that the game would have multiplayer was not really the case?Or having something really close to vertical cuts of the best planets of the game(assuming those footages were real) when most of the planets were just barren wastelands was not painting your game in a better light than what it was?

Because your "reality" is not the actual reality the rest of us lives.

Rikkori

Honestly who gives a shit? I see same things written about Cyberpunk, but ultimately I look at some gameplay footage and make a purchasing decision, if it sucks then whatever there's a refund period. Some of y'all make it seem like you've had personal promises made, but in reality you saw some marketing trailer and now you think the guy married you or some shit. Stop putting so much belief in ads. 🤷‍♂️

Nautilus

Banned
Honestly who gives a shit? I see same things written about Cyberpunk, but ultimately I look at some gameplay footage and make a purchasing decision, if it sucks then whatever there's a refund period. Some of y'all make it seem like you've had personal promises made, but in reality you saw some marketing trailer and now you think the guy married you or some shit. Stop putting so much belief in ads. 🤷‍♂️
If this is true, then why are you so pissed at what I said? If this is nothing noteworthy, and people shouldn't be angry and/or pissed about this whole affair, then why are you posting/quoting me in the first place?Why do you care about me carinh, if the situation is not a "deal breaker" like you said, since just some marketing trailer or something on those lines?

Nautilus

Banned
Some people just want to be angry.

Nautilus Nautilus , you should move on. No one has forgotten anything, but where is the logic in pretending NMs is still a bad game, and getting on a high horse about it?
I moved on.But in a sense that I dont let this game bother me anymore.If people want buy and play it, be my guest.If people enjoy it, more power to them!

But if, in a forum dedicated to discussing videogames, the topic is brought up, and its relevant to the discussion at hand, I will talk about it.Because in case another company is trying to do their own No Mans Lie, that a game seems too good to be true, its important for people to know what happened before to either not be fooled again, or at least know what you are getting yourselfs into.

And why are you all so adamant to forget this whole incident?

He didn't charge anything because he made bank with the game. It was probably part of his plan to " excuse and feel sorry" for releasing a game that was built on lies.

I will repeat this once more: He sold 2 million units, each one sold at 60 dollars each, thanks to all his lies or broken promises. He didn't need to charge anything. He made way more money then he ever though he would.I can't find the exact original asking price for the game, but before the game blew up in expectation(and pre orders) the game costed somewhere the 20 to 30 dollars. All that extra income that players paid was used as a kickstarter to finish the game and grow the company, which in turn he made more money by selling even more copies of the "actual" game, which was still priced at 60 dollars.

Sean Murray didnt finish No Mans Lie because of some sense of responsibility or anything like that. If he had anything resembling that, he wouldnt have dissapeared off the face of the earth after the game launched. He did what he did because(most likely) he ran out of money, and that it simply made business sense, since its easier to build upon something that has alot of work done, and the strategy he implemented required him to do so. And even in the worst case scenario, this "redemption arc" already was paid for with the money he got from the launch week sales.

Like I said, if he releases a new game, I will judge the game on its own merits.But if I was a gaming company that were given the chance to do business with him, in the same way that Sony did in which my own company name and reputation would be at stake,I would refuse it at the same moment. You people are too gullible.
You seem to be ascribing Machiavellian motives to this guy where I just don’t see evidence for it. If it was all about money, they would be charging for these updates instead of giving them away. Because while it may be easier to update the game, it would also be easy to charge $5 for the updates. Especially the later ones. Seems more likely to me that he’s a guy who got caught up in a whirlwind of hype and overpromising, which even large studios are guilty of.

It was a bad move. I do however, appreciate the things that have been done since then. I guess the point is that I think the man caught an appropriate amount of shit at the time. At some point a man has paid his crime, so the speak.

Top Bottom