• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hironobu Sakaguchi 'In Planning Stages' For New Projects After Receiving Multiple Offers

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Despite numerous hints over the years that he might be slipping into something that looked like retirement, Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi appears to be far from done making games.

In an interview with IGN, Sakaguchi confirmed that he's been approached with one or two offers for new projects that he's currently considering... in between sessions of Final Fantasy 14.

"They're still in the planning stages, where we're deciding on how the business will work and putting together contracts, so it's not as if we've started on actual development, but I do think I'll be working on something," he said. "Of course, the more concrete those plans start to look, the more I feel like I need to play FF14 while I still can."

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The man who made games for all platforms and brands, except the one that made him popular.

I'll never fucking get it, but I wish him luck.
No kidding. He could have made Final Fantasy a much better series than it is today, had he stuck around Square-Enix. His departure is very noticeable. We can only come to accept what happen. Notice the game he’s impressed the most with is an MMO they had to remake completely.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Okay, you got me there lmao. I don't own an apple device. :p
Seinfeld Soup GIF

Is Fantasian releasing for anything other than Apple products soon? I don't own any Apple hardware.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Where is it?

Always wondered about some sort of hidden connection between Cry On and Nier, because both were in development around the same time at Cavia.
It all seems weirdly coincidental that two melancholic action-RPG's were being worked on at the same time by the same studio. Yoko's always been pretty cagey about the early development of Nier, beyond stating that it started out as an exclusive for 360 (like Cry On) around 2005.

Grimoire Nier mentions the original scenario for Nier being pretty similar to what eventually became Sino Alice, but there's very little left of that in the final game beyond books as a design motif. On the other hand Nier's many giant monsters is somewhat reminscent of Cry-On...

Kinda makes me wonder whether some of Cry On's remains ended up forming the basis for the re-designed Nier when it was switched multi-platform.

Myths

As long as it’s not mobile, rather something on consoles. Go out big.

Could be another FF collaboration or he could do something off key, possibly paving the way for yet another series like so.

The man who brought me to Xbox with Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey.

Please be true. I will get his games wherever they are.
Blue Dragon did the same to me. That game is kind of magical...The lighthearted adventure...the atmosphere...the clean visuals and OH THAT soundtrack from Uematsu.

Lost Odyssey may be considered superior by most but Blue Dragon has a special place among the best games I've ever played.

Blue Dragon did the same to me. That game is kind of magical...The lighthearted adventure...the atmosphere...the clean visuals and OH THAT soundtrack from Uematsu.

Lost Odyssey may be considered superior by most but Blue Dragon has a special place among the best games I've ever played.

Yes! A lot of people immediately go to Lost Odyssey first for the more mature atmosphere and story, but Blue Dragon is a VERY special game. That initially insane boss music just grows on you. And you start getting hyped when that thing comes on lol.

Hestar69

can we get a LO2 or a new JRPG on consoles pleaseeeeeeeeeeee.

I even liked fantasian on my phone but my apple thing ran out so stopped playing. shit,I'd buy it on consoles for 20 if it helped make a new JRPG or LO 2

Goalus

Yes! A lot of people immediately go to Lost Odyssey first for the more mature atmosphere and story, but Blue Dragon is a VERY special game. That initially insane boss music just grows on you. And you start getting hyped when that thing comes on lol.
Slightly before even, whenever I heard that female-voiced "checkpoint".

Andyliini

Is Blue Dragon good? I've never gave it a chance, almost forgot it existed.

Played Lost Odyssey and had a lot of fun, it was the true FF 13.
I played through Blue Dragon some 10 years ago or something. It's good, if quite basic JRPG with ups and downs. English voice acting can be hit or miss, though.

Music is awesome, as almost always with Uematsu.

The gooch had massive beef with Sony. I think thats what caused him to jump ship. But Kutaragi is long gone.

I don't think he had a massive beef with Sony. He only said once that he didn't like Ken Kutaragi and that PS3 architecture was tricky. Everyone took that and ran with it.

Teslerum

No kidding. He could have made Final Fantasy a much better series than it is today, had he stuck around Square-Enix. His departure is very noticeable. We can only come to accept what happen. Notice the game he’s impressed the most with is an MMO they had to remake completely.

I'd say the biggest loss is his creative direction. Yeah, Spirits Within was a mistake, but when you go through his history at Square Enix it's staggering how many classics he made happen by lobbying for them among else on a producing side and how many excellent teams for specific titles he put together.

Just from the playstation era, without him supporting them games like Xenogears, Parasite Eve, FF: Tactics and so on may have never come to fruition.

Last edited:
Top Bottom