• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |Beta Thread| The original assassin. [PS4+PC]

having played a bit of the beta i can honestly say assuming these missions have a bit of length to them i can see this being a succes at least as far as controls , scripting and story gos it seems like they have this down pat, my only concern is howl long the game will be and how complex or not complex the levels are :)

Genio88

I'm really into it, though i still don't understand if this game has a proper story like the others or it's just killing missions with no real main plot

Jintor

I'm really into it, though i still don't understand if this game has a proper story like the others or it's just killing missions with no real main plot

I mean the story was best in blood money when it was a thing to discover that shaped the missions, so I don't really mind that. I've been rewatching stuff from Absolution and maaaaaaaaaan, that was shit. They didn't get it at all.

Moff

I mean the story was best in blood money when it was a thing to discover that shaped the missions, so I don't really mind that. I've been rewatching stuff from Absolution and maaaaaaaaaan, that was shit. They didn't get it at all.

they did get it and they have always been very transparent about everything.
they just wanted to make a hitman game with mainstream appeal, with simpler gameplay, more action and more story. they did get it, absolution is by far the most successfull hitman game.

luckily for us, they care more about their fans than sales, which is why we get a new hitman game with no story, classic gameplay but the good stuff from absolution as well (controls, contracts, challenges)

Since you're talking story and the OT isn't up yet, I've just read this interview with the creative director of the game where he talks about the story/storytelling. Pretty on point.

What did the new distribution model enable you to do with the game that was harder before, with a more traditional boxed-model?

It allowed us to re-assess the type of storytelling we had come to take for granted in a traditional boxed game. Our main character, Agent 47, is by now an icon, but part of what makes him iconic is, we thought, at odds with traditional video game storytelling. By that I mean the ‘hero’s journey’, familiar from cinema, where our protagonist faces challenges and pressures that, when overcome, leave the hero stronger and changed for the better by the story’s conclusion. There is a change and a resolution.

This story structure doesn’t work with Agent 47 because he is, essentially, a blank canvas on which players can express themselves. Furthermore this is a game where freedom of approach is one of the most critical features; the setup is based on a silent master assassin taking out his targets in unforeseen and creative ways and where the turn of events are left mostly up to the players to decide.

Jintor

they just wanted to make a hitman game with mainstream appeal, with simpler gameplay, more action and more story. they did get it, absolution is by far the most successfull hitman game.

they got it and threw it out the window :(

but hell, we got hitman 2016 out of it and it's not like i hated absolution, so whatever.

Jintor

So there will be no overarching store for this game? they are just gonna drop him in different cities every month?

They set up some kind of recurring antagonist in the season premier trailer who seems to be narrating it, and the prologue has the IPA overseer who seems to doubt you, so there's probably going to be a blood money/tv show-esque overplot but each 'episode' will still be fairly standalone if i had to guess.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

luckily for us, they care more about their fans than sales, which is why we get a new hitman game with no story, classic gameplay but the good stuff from absolution as well (controls, contracts, challenges)

Transparent or not, they really didn't "get it", hence why they pushed forward everything Hitman wasn't about in lieu of everything it was. A handful of additions were great and much needed, but the majority of that game was utter gash.

But you're right on that last part, we are lucky and they have taken the few good bits from Absolution (though I'd argue Challenges isn't one of them).

That is very on point. Bravo that man!

I'm guessing due to the way it's being released that the only way to play this game tomorrow on PS4 is to get it through the store for £45?

Decisions, decisions...

Moff

Transparent or not, they really didn't "get it", hence why they pushed forward everything Hitman wasn't about in lieu of everything it was. A handful of additions were great and much needed, but the majority of that game was utter gash.

But you're right on that last part, we are lucky and they have taken the few good bits from Absolution (though I'd argue Challenges isn't one of them).

Maybe we have different views on what "getting it" means.
I do think they got it, they just wanted it to have more mainstream appeal so they changed a lot that absolutely made the game worse, they also got that because it sold much more than any hitman before.

They have always been very open about this, and I respect them a lot for abandoning Absolution, although it sold better. what company would do such a thing? Absolution did not review that bad either, it's pretty much on the level of all hitman games, just btw.
but they just wanted to make their hardcore fans happy.

I agree that the challenges are debatable. personally I think they are a great addition.

Rudiano

Banned
If you played the prologue beta then there isnt that much to look forward to in episode 1. Its the prologue with the Paris mission. Paris mission is very short, sure there are different methods of taking out the targets but I was able to do them all in about 90 minutes. Also disc release is Jan 2017

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe we have different views on what "getting it" means.

From my perspective, the only thing they got was how to make Hitman more palatable to a wider audience. What they didn't get was what made Hitman so damn special in the first place. For me, it isn't "character development", missions designed like corridors, bar fights or finding out who 47's tailor is, I can tell you that much! XD

I do think they got it, they just wanted it to have more mainstream appeal so they changed a lot that absolutely made the game worse, they also got that because it sold much more than any hitman before.

They have always been very open about this, and I respect them a lot for abandoning Absolution, although it sold better. what company would do such a thing?

Yeah, I agree with the last part.

The thing about "hardcore" fans is they are invested, they are the best free advertising available, they will consistently purchase and support your products (if you remain true to the roots), and they offer free feedback (a lot of which is shit, granted). Absolution sold well but it didn't break any records and I believe it sold way less than Square-Enix were expecting/hoping, particularly in America. Given that, I'm not sure if, in this particular instance, it would make financial sense to alienate the "hardcore", hence why they reacted the way they did post-release.

I mean, I could be wrong, its just a hunch (except the bit about S-E expecting more sales-wise).

Still, as you said, they do deserve respect for going back to its roots, though I think it was actually a financial consideration.

I agree that the challenges are debatable. personally I think they are a great addition.

I'd like the option for them to be hidden, perhaps until you complete the mission once. Maybe if they were more obscure/cryptic...? I dunno. The discovery is half the fun for me. :)

The game is now up in Australia. A couple of shots of the menus:

4NExyGb.png

CR2si15.png

S0vclMT.png

gMbJX6x.png

zML9CpH.png

iaHOCIg.png

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
just what was there reaction to the core fans post launch again ?

The reaction on Hitman Forums (which IO have always been fairly close to) was pretty bad around launch. Lots of in-fighting and complaints. About a week or a month after release they directly asked members to pop down their Top Five Good/Bad, which everyone and their mother decided to jump on. They were really paying attention to the core audience.

Then, a while later, they dropped this, which - in not so many words - was essentially an apology in all but name. Restored a lot of faith, I think.

DOWN

Banned
Ya its weird. Have never run into that. Tons of betas and never had that happen especially like this. Progress maybe but didn't have this before No biggy though. FPS on PS4 suffers regardless sadly but locked is SO much better

Oh also you dont need to do the prologue anyway. It lets you skip it but there are some missing challanges if you do

? I've never seen a beta keep your saves for the final game or not wipe all progress

Top Bottom