• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy’s first week digital sales in Europe were 56% higher than those of last year’s blockbuster fantasy game, Elden Ring

Draugoth

Gold Member
hogwarts-legacy-e-1280x720.jpg

Hogwarts Legacy’s first week digital sales in Europe were 56% higher than Elden Ring’s

That’s according to GamesIndustry.biz head Chris Dring, who said the game enjoyed the biggest European launch outside of the FIFA and Call of Duty series since October 2018’s Red Dead Redemption 2.

Hogwarts Legacy and Elden Ring are both fantasy games released during the same month of the year. Elden Ring enjoyed a massive launch last February and would go onto become one of 2022’s best-selling games. GI.biz recently reported that Hogwarts Legacy’s week one physical sales were 80% higher than Elden Ring’s in the UK.

Developed by Avalanche Software and published by Warner Bros. Games, Hogwarts Legacy is based on the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling.

It was released last week for PS5, Xbox Series X/S and PC amid significant controversy surrounding the author’s publicly-stated views on transgender rights.

Not surprising. HP is much more popular. Most people, including non gamers, know what Harry Potter is. You could stop anyone in the street and they'll be more likely to recognise Harry Potter than From Software. I love From Software games but it's not even a fair comparison. You could have family members picking the game up for their kids/siblings/nieces/nephews/cousins because they think "Oh, lil Jimbob loves Harry Potter!"

Also, From Software games are "difficult" and that puts a lot of people off. Hogwarts Legacy is for everyone. There is bit of challenge but it's designed for young people to play.

Last edited:

SantaC

Not surprising. HP is much more popular. Most people, including non gamers, know what Harry Potter is. You could stop anyone in the street and they'll be more likely to recognise Harry Potter than From Software. I love From Software games but it's not even a fair comparison. You could have family members picking the game up for their kids/siblings/nieces/nephews/cousins because they think "Oh, lil Jimbob loves Harry Potter!"

Also, From Software games are "difficult" and that puts a lot of people off. Hogwarts Legacy is for everyone. There is bit of challenge but it's designed for young people to play.
triggered much? Harry Potter audience is 20+

Last edited:
20m before the end of the year. And that's lowballing it I think.
And so far the game is only out on 3 out of 6 platforms. Waiting for PS4/XB1/Switch versions.... Not everyone has a PS5/Xseries or a gaming PC.
triggered much?
lmao what?

how am I triggered?

I am looving this game and if you can't tell by my username I loove From Software games including Elden Ring.

try again

SantaC

And so far the game is only out on 3 out of 6 platforms. Waiting for PS4/XB1/Switch versions.... Not everyone has a PS5/Xseries or a gaming PC.

lmao what?

how am I triggered?

I am looving this game and if you can't tell by my username I loove From Software games including Elden Ring.

try again
people over 20 have grown up with Harry Potter it is not just for young kids.

So biggest launch since RDR2. (Aside from COD and FIFA) would mean it beat Cyberpunk too. If that's the same worldwide, it means we're probably looking at around 14-16 million sold?

Freeman76

So pleased for them the game is top drawer from start to finish. They better be planning another term in Hogwarts for DLC

Surely a sequel announcement will be made soon? :messenger_beaming:
Great to see it doing fantastic. The developers did a better job than many expected, so they deserve the success. I'm really enjoying the game so far.
They definitely did.

They went from this game

to this game in less than 6 years

What they've done is something i'd expect from a studio that has experience putting out AAA titles on a regular basis. It reminds me a lot of Skyrim/Witcher 3. Avalanche took everyone by surprise. Well done to them! I hope they get to do a sequel or at least another major open world RPG.

Last edited:

Valt7786

Good, well deserved especially from a team a lot of people didn't have faith in because of their previous works.
Hopefully this will lead to big boy DLC's and sequels, love exploring this world. Would love to see a fully fledged social system and morality next time as well.

Topher

Gold Member
Surely a sequel announcement will be made soon? :messenger_beaming:

They definitely did.

They went from this game

to this game in less than 6 years

What they've done is something i'd expect from a studio that has experience putting out AAA titles on a regular basis. It reminds me a lot of Skyrim/Witcher 3. Avalanche took everyone by surprise. Well done to them! I hope they get to do a sequel or at least another major open world RPG.

I didn't realize this, but apparently Avalanche Software was owned by and then closed by Disney when they scrapped Disney Infinity. The studio was then acquired by WB.

Well, It's Harry Potter.Duh.

That's easy to say, but plenty of popular licensed games have sucked and suffered in sales. Being a Harry Potter games doesn't mean it is automatically a slam dunk. Being a great game first is the key.

Last edited:
A very well made game based on a popular franchise put out on as many platforms as possible with a massive marketing push.

That's how ya do it.

Here's what I said in late January:

If this game is good it will be the best selling game this year and maybe the best selling game of the last few years. It will be massive. CoD/ GTA type numbers I imagine. I'm pretty hyped for it but only hesitant because I don't know yet if it's actually good or not. It's going to sell millions upon millions probably even if it's a shit game. If it's actually really good? Look out.
And now that we know it is actually good I'll stand by this. I'm still only a couple hours in but I'm already enjoying it and am not a HP fan at all. It's just a fun game to wander around and explore. Congrats again to Avalanche Software. They probably have to deal with a lot of shit over this game but they clearly did an overall fantastic job and it will hopefully pay off for them.

Last edited:
This is why the resetera idiots are so angry now. The fervor over JK Rowling is at the highest it will ever be. It is red hot. If this game breaks records at the height of the backlash and boycott hysteria then they know they actually have no power to influence others. If nobody cares now then think of how little people will care in 5 or 10 or 50 years. That drives them crazy.

Unknown?

lmao what?

how am I triggered?

try again
Eh those older platforms will boost it but will only be a small fraction of current platforms.

Bragr

Banned
Wow, that's impressive.

I assume it's the open-world beauty of it, as none of the other Harry Potter games caught on like this.

Hugare

lmao what?

how am I triggered?

try again
Jesus Christ, I didnt notice that it was (for the moment) a current gen only release

Wow. This is proof that you can sell your current gen only big budget game just fine.

This will easily sell 20M copies by the end of the year.

For comparison when more numbers come out, Elden Ring overall sold 12 million in its first 18 days and 13.4 million after 5 weeks. It's total by November 2022 (so around 8.5 months of sales) was 17.5 million.

Last edited:

Gideon

Personally, the game exceeded my expectations, I was expecting a 6/10 game but they delivered a nice 7.5/10 game on their first Big big game, if the enemy/boss variety wasn't so lacking and the performance was better then it would easily be a 8.5-9/10 (for me)

Well deserved success and can't wait to see the sales figures :D

I didn't realize this, but apparently Avalanche Software was owned by and then closed by Disney when they scrapped Disney Infinity. The studio was then acquired by WB.

That's easy to say, but plenty of popular licensed games have sucked and suffered in sales. Being a Harry Potter games doesn't mean it is automatically a slam dunk. Being a great game first is the key.
yeah. WB beefed 'em up it seems.

Eh those older platforms will boost it but will only be a small fraction of current platforms.
Dude....

People are only just getting their hands on a PS5. Most people are still on PS4.

and Switch is like the #3 best selling console of all time (above PS4). I think PS4/XB1/Switch combined will do more than boost it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom