• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy’s first week digital sales in Europe were 56% higher than those of last year’s blockbuster fantasy game, Elden Ring

recma12

It's Harry Potter ... was this not expected?

They were gonna move units either way. Even Avengers and Gotham Knights did that despite lukewarm reviews.

Thing is, from the footage they shown I didn't expect Hogwarts to be this good. I kinda expected this to land somehwere in the 70s on metacritic.
But to my surprise HL up there with the Arkham games and Spiderman in terms of "this is how you do a licensed game".
I would actually recommend this game to anyone, even if you have no clue what "muggle" means.

Really solid AAA open world game.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
In France, HL first week sales were bigger than the ER's 2022 total sales
Happy France GIF by ElevenSportsBE

Allez les Bleus!

artsi

It’s huge. Even my casual “i’like witcher3 coworkers” have played it. And they are comparing it to witcher3 lol

At my work everyone who are into gaming are talking about Hogwarts, it's really huge.

Meanwhile REEEE are losing their minds as they realize everyone they work with or are friends with are actually bigots and transphobes.

Last edited:
At my work everyone who are into gaming are talking about Hogwarts, it's really huge.

Meanwhile REEEE are losing their minds as they realize everyone they work with or are friends with are actually bigots and transphobes.

Yeah it's insane. Even some of my non-gamer colleagues are about to buy it because they gew up with the Wizarding World.

digdug2

I'm not surprised that this surpassed another very well-crafted open world game that performed insanely well. Even though Elden Ring was From Software's most accessible game to date, it still had its moments where it was hard as fuck. Hogwarts seems like it's even more accessible than that.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Finally a decent mainstream article about the controversy.
Stripping Rowling of her art — or any art even associated with her franchise — simply because she has been an outspoken opponent of the concept of gender fluidity, specifically where it erases women’s privacy and safety rights, is truly Orwellian. Censoring or smearing Rowling and her ideas over beliefs that have been held for millennia is a bad sign for the future of free speech.
Facts.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Harry Potter was more or less a global phenomenon, so these sales aren’t surprising.
You do know there are ike15 games of the IP on consoles and PC right?

It would be doing the game a disservice to suggest it's performing well based on the popularity of the IP when none of the 14 before it managed this. Oh...none of the 14 before it also was being snubbed by some of media.

This seems more like the Streisand Effect. And that of course its a good game.

mckmas8808

Banned

I disagree big time here. I don't think this is a bad sign of free speech at all. It proves the opposite actually. It shows how much impact social media, bloggers, and podcasters really have in the real world. It proves that sometimes we need to remember that there's a bigger world out there and to get out of our small internet world.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I disagree big time here. I don't think this is a bad sign of free speech at all. It proves the opposite actually. It shows how much impact social media, bloggers, and podcasters really have in the real world. It proves that sometimes we need to remember that there's a bigger world out there and to get out of our small internet world.
It is when certain governments are making it illegal to push back on the insanity. Like the UK, etc..

A dude served jailtime for it recently.

Last edited:
You do know there are ike15 games of the IP on consoles and PC right?

It would be doing the game a disservice to suggest it's performing well based on the popularity of the IP when none of the 14 before it managed this. Oh...none of the 14 before it also was being snubbed by some of media.

This seems more like the Streisand Effect. And that of course its a good game.
It's all of it imo. It's Harry Potter, it's the controversy, and also it's a very well reviewed open world AAA game. All of that combined is leading to it's ridiculous sales numbers. No other HP game has done nearly as well because they weren't well reviewed big open world AAA games. If there was zero controversy this game still would have sold millions and millions and competed with Elden Ring sales imo.

Putting the controversy on top of that is the icing on the cake for the games sales. Now it's going to do millions more just because almost everyone has at least heard of this game/the controversy surrounding it. It is the game right now and there's really nothing to compete with it which is just going to further spur sales. This has to be the worst boycott I've ever heard of. Its completely backfired.

Last edited:
Top Bottom