• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy Delayed until 2022

Outlier

Not interested in the game right now, but the world doesn't need more Cyberpunk 2077 situations.

Take the time you need.

Fbh

Man if this game does well after all the SJW hate, it's going to be the ultimate:

see-nobody-cares.gif

Fbh

Feels inevitable that he'll be fired at this point. Fucking SJWs.

Hopefully they don't. Would really hurt my excitement for the game.

He says he disclosed his channel to WB Games from the beginning and they didn't have an issue with it. Would be really shitty of them to now backtrack and fire him because of it.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
They probably want to release Hogwarts Legacy at the same time as the movie Fantastic Beasts 3 (releases next April).

I feel like we would have seen more by now if that were true, but maybe. If it were true, it's shaping up to be a stacked spring

This is one of the few AAA games I am excited about. There are so many directions they could take it in. I remember being really impressed with the visuals from " Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince". I hope they go with that.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Did our based guy ever get the fire? Hope not, say one purchase. Will even purchase 5 copies to give away here.

He resigned, family stuff, but stood by the stuff he made for his Youtube channel.

Saber

Gold Member
This is one of the few AAA games I am excited about. There are so many directions they could take it in. I remember being really impressed with the visuals from " Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince". I hope they go with that.

My only concern is that I don't think they are following JK direction of HP lore or whatever. While I think this might not interfere with the game, I also think this might be a bad sign that they could push things into the players throat.
Also, one thing I've concern is this obssession for pushing magical creatures here and there. I hope I'm wrong, I can't wait to play as a Slitherin character. This is the opportunity to take full advantage of Hogwarts potential.

Doom85

My only concern is that I don't think they are following JK direction of HP lore or whatever. While I think this might not interfere with the game, I also think this might be a bad sign that they could push things into the players throat.
Also, one thing I've concern is this obssession for pushing magical creatures here and there. I hope I'm wrong, I can't wait to play as a Slitherin character. This is the opportunity to take full advantage of Hogwarts potential.

They’re not following Rowling’s lore?! Son of a bitch, if my character can’t take a dump in the middle of the class floor and “magic the evidence away”, what’s the fucking point?!

Yes, for those who don’t know, this is a thing she claimed (post-DH) happened in the 1800’s and earlier in the lore due to, according to her, apparently the wizarding world not having invented bathrooms. Despite all this contradicting a major plot point of Chamber of Secrets……

Tams

Gold Member
Harry Potter was so... normal until about Order of the Phoenix.

I swear, most people just accepted the Harry Potter world, and there wasn't this amount of retconning attempts, by Rowling herself even.

And for that reason, LEGO Harry Potter is really the only decent Harry Potter game wise.

Andodalf

Banned
Harry Potter was so... normal until about Order of the Phoenix.

I swear, most people just accepted the Harry Potter world, and there wasn't this amount of retconning attempts, by Rowling herself even.

And for that reason, LEGO Harry Potter is really the only decent Harry Potter game wise.

The old PC games for the first couple films are, while quite dated now, good games for the time.

Lognor

Banned
I've just started reading HP and the Philosopher's Stone to my son and I'm getting really excited for this project now. When it was announced I couldn't care less, but diving back into that world with my son really gets me excited to play this with my son.

Fuck JK Rowling, but she made a hell of a universe. Hopefully the game turns out well.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I've only ever seen the first movie (didn't care for it) and tried to read the first book (not really well written) but the overall lore of this IP is definitely ripe for mining in the hands of competent narrative and gameplay directors.

Lognor

Banned
Why is that, for you?

Here's a woman who somehow managed to get equal amounts of hate from both sides of the culture war. It's equal parts saddening and hilarious.

Perhaps it's more hilarious because she's got fuck y'all money so it's not like her means of sustenance were threatened like we saw elsewhere.
I think you have to say that now so you're not canceled! I don't have a dog in the fight

Yeah, I see where this might just be a monster hunter game with HP flavored story.
It makes sense, the IP is so ripe for exploitation they could just take proven mechanics and put a Hogwarts on it and tell customers, "your choices matter here" and wait for profit.

I hope not.
I feel like the attractive part about roleplaying Harry Potter is the fantasy/noir thing. On one hand, there is the beauty and clockwork magic sort of stuff and then there is this really hard boiled, kill-or-be-killed realism underneath.
There is an emerging "Danish underground in the 40s"-vibe around the midpoint of the septology that I hope they preserve. Innocent people end up dead, favored characters sacrifice themselves in ignominious ways to save the world, the blitz comes and scares everyone but its all "stiff upper lip"-Britishness and putting on the kettle like normal all the while.
Anyway, fingers crossed!

PWhy is that, for you?

Here's a woman who somehow managed to get equal amounts of hate from both sides of the culture war. It's equal parts saddening and hilarious.

Perhaps it's more hilarious because she's got fuck y'all money so it's not like her means of sustenance were threatened like we saw elsewhere.
The whole thing is weird to me. I remember when this shit started, Daniel Radcliffe was like, "No J.K, trans men are women" and I thought, "You do not bear the constant pain of a uterus or menses, nor bear children and nobody would pay you less based on the gender at birth", but the media amplified him.

I am not against cancel culture. It's important that symbols of hate and exploitation are thrust down. Also, I think some people need to be pilloried so the masses don't go completely crazy.
However, if you look at the head count, most of them are from the bottom of the deck. Matt Lauer and Weinstein are, in my opinion, real scumbags, and they lost alot but that's a drop in the bucket. The day Prince Andrew or a Sackler wears bracelets is the day real justice gets done. Show me the execs who have denied climate change for decades being imprisoned for their crimes and I will say justice is done.

This Rowling cancel seems like a way to obscure difficult truths about misogyny by cancelling a formerly middle class woman who can afford not to compromise her beliefs.

I am North American, women barely have agency over their own reproductive organs here. Why should they do shit for anyone but women and women alone?

As far as I know Rowling never said she hated lgbtq people, she explicitly stated the opposite while quoting someone with marginal seeming views, which she won't back down from.

It's not like she moved to Russia or Belarus and started a media company that de-platforms lgbtq rights or views. She could do that with her money if she wanted to and it would not take much effort.

It is dissapointing that lefty millenials are so reactionary about it and these grown up internet trolls all came out of the woodwork to wriggle in the slime of mutilated, corporate discourse. Everybody should just stfu and get off the internet.

Why is that, for you?

People need to be nice to JKR.
Otherwise she will stop allowing other to use their IP for this stuff. I know I would be petty at some point.

asustitan

Banned
I've just started reading HP and the Philosopher's Stone to my son and I'm getting really excited for this project now. When it was announced I couldn't care less, but diving back into that world with my son really gets me excited to play this with my son.

Fuck JK Rowling, but she made a hell of a universe. Hopefully the game turns out well.

Do you even know what she said?

Oh yeh JK Rowling so bad for not wanting blokes in women's prisons.
It's just common fn sense.
This world is stupid.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
People need to be nice to JKR.
Otherwise she will stop allowing other to use their IP for this stuff. I know I would be petty at some point.
I thought Warner Brothers owned the digital rights (movies+games?) of the franchise at this point, but she's filthy rich regardless because she still gets a percentage of the profits.

I am not against cancel culture.

I am North American, women barely have agency over their own reproductive organs here.

This is so wrong on so many levels but it's not really the place to comment on that so whatever.

ultrazilla

I watched the new "gameplay" trailer and I audibly said "damn that shit looks terrible". Now we know there was no doubt to the rumor the devs were petrified of showing off the gameplay. Yikes.
Luckily, I'm not a fan of the franchise and have little investment beyond hoping for the dev team to pull off something cool but alas......I'll wave my wand elsewhere for now.

Top Bottom