• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy fans think they’ve found a connection to a major Harry Potter villain (VCG)

kingfey

Banned

Following the extended gameplay demo of Hogwarts Legacy, Harry Potter fans believe they’ve found a connection between one of the game’s main villains and a major Harry Potter book villain.

During the demo, fans were introduced to Victor Rookwood, a dark wizard who has formed an alliance with the goblin Ranrok and his goblin rebellion.

While not much was shown off about the character, fans believe that Victor Rookwood may be connected to the Death Eaters, the group of dark wizards led by Lord Voldemort in the Harry Potter series, which is set roughly 100 years after Hogwarts Legacy.

The connection comes from the character’s surname, Rookwood. That name may sound familiar to huge Harry Potter fans, but they might not immediately recognise where they’ve heard it, as it’s only referenced briefly in the film version of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Augustus Rookwood was an unspeakable (essentially a secret agent for the Ministry of Magic) during the first wizarding war, which took place in the 1980s in the Harry Potter canon.

He’s first referenced during a flashback in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire when Igor Karkaroff, the headmaster of Durmstrang Institute is on trial for this role as a Death Eater.

Karkaroff named Augustus Rookwood as a Death Eater, revealing that he had been supplying information to Voldemort while working at the Ministry of Magic. He would later appear in Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Surnames are very rarely coincidences in Wizarding World canon, and considering that the game takes place only a few generations before Augustus was born, he’s very likely a descendant of this new villain.

While due to the time period, it’s unlikely that there will be many direct characters from the book series will appear, some ghosts, such as Nearly-Headless Nick have been shown off. The game takes place around 50 years before the events of the Fantastic Beasts films, so it’s technically possible that characters, or their ancestors, from that series, could appear.

Warner Bros. Games has confirmed plans to release Hogwarts Legacy during the 2022 holiday season. The game has also been announced for Nintendo Switch.

Tangerine

Does he diminish trans wizards lived experiences tho? If not, then he's less evil than JK Hitler. Trans wizards rights are human rights...I think. Trans goblin rights are goblin rights. Trans house elfs can piss off though. Little sexy fucks.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Ehhh can't be bothered to care about this so-called villain. Someone that was briefly mentioned in one of the books? Who gives a shit?

IFireflyl

Gold Member
That actually makes perfect sense. The Harry Potter series already established that there are plenty of families that follow in the footsteps of their ancestors, good and bad. The Blacks (the surname, not the race) have been generationally evil. The Marvolos have been generationally evil. The Malfoys have been generationally evil. Have there been exceptions to the rule? Absolutely. But it would make sense that many Death Eaters were likely from generationally evil families. Especially since we know that all Death Eaters would be pure bloods.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Is it her?

crushed noo GIF

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
I really wanted to be psyched for this game but it looks like it was focus-grouped into mediocrity. Combat looks kinda cool though.

Tangerine

I wonder if they'll be a quidditch dlc down the road, since it's not in the game. Not sure when it was meant to have been invented in the wizarding world. Would be a cool update if they could make it fun.

MP!

I wonder if they'll be a quidditch dlc down the road, since it's not in the game. Not sure when it was meant to have been invented in the wizarding world. Would be a cool update if they could make it fun.
Quidditch has been around since like year 1100 or something.
I'm sure it's just a huge ask and out of the game's scope.
It would be awesome if they made DLC though

Top Bottom