• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy: graphics modes for PS5 & Series S|X detailed

Pagusas

Elden Member
........ Guessing somewhere in the 50's and just gonna have to let VRR do its job.

Might just go wjth 30 fps

cry tearing up GIF by VH1
Or get a PC :)

darthkarki

Hmm... was hoping for more details on the resolution and graphics differences. We already knew there were Fidelity and Performance modes from the Playstation Blog entry last May:

Hogwarts Legacy on PS5 lets you take in Hogwarts and the surrounding area in stunning 4K, as well as a choice between Fidelity and Performance graphics modes. This choice will allow you to create your preferred experience, whether that’s prioritizing a higher framerate or visual fidelity.

Fbh

Sounds good though they are hardly "detailing" it with no info on resolution or visual features.

Also some here are being way over dramatic about the whole "targeting 60fps" bit, wait till the game is out before you get mad. If I was making a game I'd use "targeting" too even if we are hitting 60fps 99% of the time, just to avoid some mental breakdowns when the digital foundry video shows some drops during a specific 5 minutes long sequence in a 30+ hours game.

Post has "detailed" in the title, yet very few details can be found :D

I think we all assume a performance and fidelity mode at this point. The big question now is what are the true graphical differences between the two, along with what resolutions they are running at.
In this case, the detail is just confirming the existence of different modes on next-gen. But to be fair, as games enter final polish and optimization on consoles/PC, a lot of this stuff comes together last minute. But Digital Foundry as usual will be relied on to give us the info we want.

Still though, if it’s not a locked 60 FPS on PS5/ Series X in performance mode, then I don’t see the point in wanting to play a stuttery/ jittery mess vs a locked 30 + better image quality. The benefit of 60 fps really only counts if it’s locked to it.

I’m honestly looking forward to ground-up fullly next-gen games that don’t even have a choice of modes. Just whatever they’re able to squeeze out of these beasts. Like with Starfield being next-gen only and targeting that from early in development, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it was locked 30. And I’d be perfectly fine with that.

Last edited:
If a publisher or developer says that a game 'targets' 60 fps then they mean it is not a locked 60 fps. Sure, the number of people with VRR-enabled TVs is increasing but it should never be an excuse for lazy optimisation in my opinion. All games should run at locked or near locked 60 fps (even if it means dropping the resolution or using DRS) with the option for an unlocked framerate for owners of VRR capable 120 Hz TVs. Even with VRR, I can tell when a game drops below 60 fps, even to 59 or 58 fps as the input latency increases and I can feel it drop. This is why I feel it is important for games to run at locked framerates, ideally 60 fps but 30 fps otherwise with options for 40 fps at 120 Hz.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Motion blur in video games is stupid. Real life doesn't have motion blur. Only when objects move too fast for the eyes they start looking blurry, and that's exactly what they should do with video games too. The excuse that it looks more realistic in video games is bullcr*p and it's really only used to hide bad performance imho.

Especially if you look e.g. at GOW 18, the default motion blur makes your whole game look like green soup, but if you turn it off it actually starts to show the detail of the world and how nice everything looks.
We don't see in frames and as most* games are a consistent framerate you will not get that illusion of motion blur that we see in real life and that's why it's added.
But I agree some methods used ruin the picture.
I personally like per-object motion blur.

clampzyn

Definitely. I suspect those that claim no Pro consoles are needed this time will have a swift change of heart.
HFW looks way more better and complex than this game and still that's a cross-gen game, why would people have a change of heart coz one game can't run at high resolution/fps?

Mr Moose

No Fidelity 120hz/40fps
anime-sad.gif
There's still hope.
Graphical modes for players who have Variable Refresh Rate (VRR)-supported TVs or monitors are supported for Hogwarts Legacy on PlayStation®5 and Xbox Series X|S.

Edit:Then again, you don't need VRR for 40fps mode... Oh well, still hopeful.

Last edited:
HFW looks way more better and complex than this game and still that's a cross-gen game, why would people have a change of heart coz one game can't run at high resolution/fps?
I can think of at most a handful of studios that can match the technical prowess of Guerilla. And that's before even considering multiplatform development.

I will eat a hat if Starfield runs at 60 fps on console.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Really surprising (well not really) takes here; the game doesn't look bad. The steak you cook at home probably isn't going to taste as well as the one from some three-star Michelin joint, but that doesn't mean it is a bad steak. Like, I'm looking at some of these gameplay videos (the ones that are direct and not streamed) and I'm legit struggling to see where the "handwringing" is coming from.

Did Gaf merge with Era?! Also we can't wait! They'll get two sales from me and my wife😊

era is here laids and gentlmon

. . .indeed, can't have opinions that differ than the masses. Whoof. Rent free with some of you.

DeaDPo0L84

Really surprising (well not really) takes here; the game doesn't look bad. The steak you cook at home probably isn't going to taste as well as the one from some three-star Michelin joint, but that doesn't mean it is a bad steak. Like, I'm looking at some of these gameplay videos (the ones that are direct and not streamed) and I'm legit struggling to see where the "handwringing" is coming from.

. . .indeed, can't have opinions that differ than the masses. Whoof. Rent free with some of you.
The thread is about the different graphics options for consoles and they came in talking about how buying the game is supporting the murder for millions of trans kids. So yes that is a very Reeera thing to do. But I'm beginning to think they're joking sooo...

Last edited:

clampzyn

I can think of at most a handful of studios that can match the technical prowess of Guerilla. And that's before even considering multiplatform development.

I will eat a hat if Starfield runs at 60 fps on console.
lmao if series x tops at 1080p60 on starfield, it will be a massive outcry on the pc platform coz that sh1t will be super expensive to run vs the average pc build

I'll probably be playing on the mode that doesn't involve giving money to the woman who's responsible for the deaths of millions of trans kids.

But yeah, y'all do y'all.

There's death camps for transsexuals? Never heard of this to be honest.

Reality check: you're laughing about one of the greatest crimes against humanity since Brexit.

Now I'm just confused. Is J.K Rowling being accused of funding death camps for transsexuals?

I'm honestly not familiar with what this game has to do with getting transsexuals killed.

Last edited:

Xdrive05

There's death camps for transsexuals? Never heard of this to be honest.

Now I'm just confused. Is J.K Rowling being accused of funding death camps for transsexuals?

I'm honestly not familiar with what this game has to do with getting transsexuals killed.
It’s 2023. Everyone is insane, hysterical and retarded about culture war issues because our lives have become meaningless and we’ve never had less control over our own futures. But you can feel like you’re making a difference by warring online to protect children from either 1) crossdressing groomers who want to mutilate the genitals of your impressionable kids or 2) evil regressive fascists who want to genocide LGBTQ kids to make way for orange Hitler’s second coming.

Pick your poison and chug.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
They always say targeting 60 after gamers in 2013 went after Sony for saying Shadowfall was 60 but had some drops. There was a lawsuit even I think.
They where sued because they said the multiplayer ran in 1080p, but the game used a form of checkerboard rendering, so the question was if Sony lied (on the box, in advertising the game). This lead to Sony becoming very aware of how to advertise their games with rather vague statements.

Ronin_7

Banned
They where sued because they said the multiplayer ran in 1080p, but the game used a form of checkerboard rendering, so the question was if Sony lied (on the box, in advertising the game). This lead to Sony becoming very aware of how to advertise their games with rather vague statements.
Thanks for the clarification.

Banned
It’s 2023. Everyone is insane, hysterical and retarded about culture war issues because our lives have become meaningless and we’ve never had less control over our own futures. But you can feel like you’re making a difference by warring online to protect children from either 1) crossdressing groomers who want to mutilate the genitals of your impressionable kids or 2) evil regressive fascists who want to genocide LGBTQ kids to make way for orange Hitler’s second coming.

Pick your poison and chug.

If it 1080p and only "targeting" 60 then that's going to be a major problem for console players on the board. Remember how much they complained about Dying Light 2.
Yes and rightfully so! Dying Light 2 looking nowhere near as good as the PC version with no Ray tracing and it's only 1080p/60 ...

If a developer phones it in they deserve to get a lot of crap gor it. It's no secret Techland is a PC focused developer. They never gave the PS4 PRO or Xb1X an update for 4k either.

zkorejo

I think PS5 is the way to go. There's no talk of PC performance/ requirements other than what they shared last year.

Dual sense support and vrr Support.. if it could end up being 40 fps fidelity and if it's good enough like Gow Ragnarok, I will be more than happy.

Will wait to see how it plays on all platforms first though.

Top Bottom