• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy: graphics modes for PS5 & Series S|X detailed

And trannycide is ok with you?
Killing It GIF by PeacockTV

zkorejo

Nice thanks. After reading that thread and requirements.. I'm pretty sure my PC can do better than PS5 but idk how good/optimized the PC version will be. I will wait a day or two to see which version runs best before making a purchase.

Never played anything from these devs so won't take a chance. Since all marketing is on PS5, I think it's safe to assume it will be the best version. If PC port is good.. I will go pc.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

I'll probably be playing on the mode that doesn't involve giving money to the woman who's responsible for the deaths of millions of trans kids.
Jim Carrey What GIF

And trannycide is ok with you?
Wut ?!?! And "Millions" ?!? "Trans Kids" ?!? Why not "Billions" also ?!?
Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Going back to the thread, I'm good with the 30fps fidelity mode, I'm just hoping that the game is indeed good, this is my main concern.

Last edited:

Rabidsteelerfan

Neo Member
Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, as I havn't seen anything, but is DigitalFoundry doing an analysis of this?

Woop, first post ever!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I don’t think ray tracing is worth it. Lower resolution, less stable frame rate, and ur doesn’t look noticeably different 90% of the time.

Based on whatever I've seen of the game and it's specs, the balanced mode seems like the best way to play, especially if you have a 120hz display for the 40 fps mode.

Banned
Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, as I havn't seen anything, but is DigitalFoundry doing an analysis of this?

Woop, first post ever!

Ugg, so DF is woke??? That's disappointing!

they aren't covering it because they didn't get a review code, also John is working on PSVR2, Oliver is working on Metroid, Alex works on Returnal... and not sure what the other 2 are doing, but they don't do many comparisons lately anyway... so not sure there.

they aren't covering it because they didn't get a review code, also John is working on PSVR2, Oliver is working on Metroid, Alex works on Returnal... and not sure what the other 2 are doing, but they don't do many comparisons lately anyway... so not sure there.
Is it possible they were offered a review code and they simply declined it? You are telling me they weren't offered a review code for one of the most anticipated games of 2023? See, I call BS on that.

Banned
Is it possible they were offered a review code and they simply declined it? You are telling me they weren't offered a review code for one of the most anticipated games of 2023? See, I call BS on that.

they aren't traditional reviewers and the PC version seems whack, so I wouldn't put it past Warner Bros to not send a code.

what could also be the case is that Eurogamer usually gives them codes and they declined it, Digital Foundry is its own thing and pretty separated from the Eurogamer main staff, but it could be that usually that's how they get review copies

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Based on whatever I've seen of the game and it's specs, the balanced mode seems like the best way to play, especially if you have a 120hz display for the 40 fps mode.

I prefer fidelity mode w/ uncapped frame rate personally. It prioritizes a higher resolution compared to balanced, and stays at 40fps or above pretty consistently anyway.

That’s been my preference on my Series X/77” LG C2. Chromatic aberration and film grain off as well.

Freeza93

Banned
Balanced uncapped. RT is trash on consoles anyway especially in this game even on Pc off is better.

Fsr 2 is used i can clearly see it in vegetation. Below balanced looks not good. Also you are at Medium Settings at lower than balanced. Other ones are on High. You loose a lot for the 60 fps. Look at distance rendering balanced vs performance mode its a huge difference. Balanced is 40 to 60fps. Fidelity is 30-60 same settings only higher res. 1440p fsr2 to 2160p. Performance mode ist 1200p at best with fsr. Hfr mode is very ugly sub 1080p or 1080p with fsr at best.

Bojji

Started it on series x, I'm really glad that i jumped to vrr/120hz/40fps train (LG B2) because 40 fps mode (balanced) looks to be the best compromise between IQ and frame rate. No stuttering in sight so far (like in PC version, my 3060ti would suffer thanks to low Vram amount).

40fps mode looks to be the future, more and more devs are using it.

Elios83

I'm playing on PS5, I've tried all the modes and for me balanced with frame rate capped at 40fps (120Hz TV) is the best compromise and looks great. Uncapped unfortunately creates stutters when you rotate the camera.
Ray tracing is not worth it, seems like lower res for some basically unnoticeable benefits.
Performance just no, too much compromised graphics.
40 fps quality mode is the best imo.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm playing on PS5, I've tried all the modes and for me balanced with frame rate capped at 40fps (120Hz TV) is the best compromise and looks great. Uncapped unfortunately creates stutters when you rotate the camera.
Ray tracing is not worth it, seems like lower res for some basically unnoticeable benefits.
You do clearly notice the difference in resolution, but I am trying to brave the RT mode for now… it does have a few perks albeit the resolution of the RT reflections is a bit meh… it does wonders for AO and having more surfaces reflecting the real world dynamically is quite neat. Not a slam dunk mode for anyone though, I can see how they could have made it a lot better if they were able to mix and match cube maps, SSR, and RT reflections and reduce how heavy RT was and thus increased the resolution.

Urban

I Play on Performance mode but if I turn motion blur etc off it has “ghosting” around the character if you turn the camera. You guys have that too?

Fredrik

PS5 and XSX - performance mode, no VRR 4K TV, home theater audio, comfy couch

PC - 1440 gsync 165hz screen, 4090, 7900X, 2 channel studio audio, okayish desk chair

Where should I play this?

I generally go with PC but I hear some noise about a bad PC port. Is it really bad?

I do like to play this in the living room so console might be a good choice for me here.

Digital Foundry has failed to push out a console comparison though and I’m not sure Elanalista is trustworthy, so I’m kinda lost here.
Where is it best? Do both console versions keep the framerate stable at 60 in performance mode?

Luipadre

i tried balanced and performance, but i went back to fidelity on PS5. Game just looks too good. Performance mode is a pretty huge downgrade and even balanced mode looks really blurry outside.

TrebleShot

PS5 and XSX - performance mode, no VRR 4K TV, home theater audio, comfy couch

PC - 1440 gsync 165hz screen, 4090, 7900X, 2 channel studio audio, okayish desk chair

Where should I play this?

I generally go with PC but I hear some noise about a bad PC port. Is it really bad?

I do like to play this in the living room so console might be a good choice for me here.

Digital Foundry has failed to push out a console comparison though and I’m not sure Elanalista is trustworthy, so I’m kinda lost here.
Where is it best? Do both console versions keep the framerate stable at 60 in performance mode?
Im pretty much in the same position as you with a similar set up , have a great gaming chair for my PC and LGC2 42” I own the game on both PS5 (living room) and PC on aforementioned set up.

If you’re choosing get it on PS5, it is a very relaxing and long play kind of game. You can properly chill
Do some
Side activities chip away at the main quest and do other bits and bobs. Home theatre suits this game to a tee as it’s fairly cinematic.

Sink into the sofa and enjoy it.

Fredrik

Im pretty much in the same position as you with a similar set up , have a great gaming chair for my PC and LGC2 42” I own the game on both PS5 (living room) and PC on aforementioned set up.

If you’re choosing get it on PS5, it is a very relaxing and long play kind of game. You can properly chill
Do some
Side activities chip away at the main quest and do other bits and bobs. Home theatre suits this game to a tee as it’s fairly cinematic.

Sink into the sofa and enjoy it.
How’s the PC version on such a setup? I hate shader stutter, is that happening here?
I saw a Steam Deck ad on Steam saying it’s playable there as well. Would give me comfy bed gaming.

Sucks that DF and NX don’t have any comparison. I’ve seen some elanalista graphs where XSX is ahead but it’s with uncapped framerate so I wouldn’t see it anyway. I just need to know if it’s always 60 capped. I don’t want to pay full price for a game and be stuck waiting for patches, then I’ll rather play on PC where I can change settings to get it better.

TrebleShot

How’s the PC version on such a setup? I hate shader stutter, is that happening here?
I saw a Steam Deck ad on Steam saying it’s playable there as well. Would give me comfy bed gaming.

Sucks that DF and NX don’t have any comparison. I’ve seen some elanalista graphs where XSX is ahead but it’s with uncapped framerate so I wouldn’t see it anyway. I just need to know if it’s always 60 capped. I don’t want to pay full price for a game and be stuck waiting for patches, then I’ll rather play on PC where I can change settings to get it better.
So on my set up and I believe it’s common across multiple 4090 systems there isn’t shader stutter BUT the performance is terrible. Your looking at swings from mid 40 fps to 70/80 at 4k no upsampling or frame generation which is pretty terrible if you ask me.

Fredrik

So on my set up and I believe it’s common across multiple 4090 systems there isn’t shader stutter BUT the performance is terrible. Your looking at swings from mid 40 fps to 70/80 at 4k no upsampling or frame generation which is pretty terrible if you ask me.
Hmm so stable 60 isn’t happening? What about console then?

Last edited:

MastAndo

Gold Member
Can't do anything but Performance mode. There's a certain point where my eye goes "that looks smooth" and the 40 fps in Balanced mode isn't it, despite looking noticeably better. I'm officially ruined. :/

Fredrik

Fidelity - 30-60fps
Balanced - 40-60fps
Rt - heavyyy drops 20- 50 fps
Performance 55-85 fps
Hfr- 80-120fps
Is there no fps cap? No VRR here and without VRR everything there must look like shit.
Seems like it would still be drops in all modes even with a cap though. 55fps is no fun.

paulyboy81

Neo Member
Series S performance is odd.

Initially tried it on a 60hz screen and the Performance mode was all over the shop, rarely holding 60. Even just facing a wall or a floor it's basically shite, well below where it should be in all honesty.

Then for reasons I won't go into the Series S ended up in the living room on the big boy TV at 120hz with VRR. Performance mode is now rock solid, uncapped and north of 60fps most of the time according to the frame-rate readout.

Even switching the big boy TV down to just 60hz with VRR completely tanks the framerate again in Performance mode.

Either performance mode on a 60hz screen is bugged, or when you're connected to a 120hz screen they're dropping resolution and other stuff down even further for more frames (even though it looked the same to me), a performance+ mode if you will. I'd have expected that to be listed as a HFR mode like the Series X version if this was the case mind you.

I've been hopping between X and S versions, perhaps there's bug with graphical settings between consoles carrying over, seen that before with one or two other games.

I don't know, weird.

Last edited:
Top Bottom