• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy: graphics modes for PS5 & Series S|X detailed

I really dig the 40fps balanced mode capped. Uncapped is a bit weird with the 40 - 60fps range even with VRR. I really only like uncapped when the baseline is 60fps, but for this game I didn't want to sacrifice graphical fidelity and I find 40fps is still a huge upgrade over 30fps.

What
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago
All these graphic modes and VRR / 120Hz / HDR / HGIG / DTM / 40fps / frame rate caps / ray tracing / etc is what made me sell my PS5 and go back to the simplicity of the Switch. No frills. Just 1080p SDR, clean simple UI. I’m getting old.

DaGwaphics

Prove what? It is literally on VRR specs. Window is 48-120fps.

I think freesync premium requires LFC which should save you from tearing down to 24fps. Whether or not you had perceivable stutter would depend on the swings in performance, most people say you can still have stutter if you are in the VRR range if the swings are wild (dropping back and forth between 50 and 120fps). Still haven't upgraded to a VRR screen myself, so, I don't really have any first-hand experience with it though.

Bojji

All these graphic modes and VRR / 120Hz / HDR / HGIG / DTM / 40fps / frame rate caps / ray tracing / etc is what made me sell my PS5 and go back to the simplicity of the Switch. No frills. Just 1080p SDR, clean simple UI. I’m getting old.

You just don't get the game you want to play or get 240p Vaseline - 20fps edition on Switch.

On topic, traversal stuttering definitely is there in the castle on series x, it's probably typical for UE4. On pc i would have to combat Vram and shader stuttering too so it's much better on console on this aspect i think lol

MaKTaiL

No it doesnt.

Did you count the pixels? Good luck with that. Its using Fsr 2 on Console.

Which you can clearly see on the vegetation if you go closer to screen especially below balanced mode. On Fidelity its fine because the target resolution is 1800p at least.

But 1440p performance is probably 1296p Fsr 2 upscaled to 1440p.

Same with the other modes.

Balanced looks like 1620p with fsr and fidelity is 1800-2160p with fsr
my best guess. With a lot of experience on Pcs.

OMu2qLR.png

C2f2tvn.png

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I get you. There is a bit too many bad modes.
I would be fine if there were max 2 modes and maybe vrr fps unlock. but it's getting a bit out of hand.
Nowhere it states that performance mode will have worse shadows, lod and vegetation. If anything, it should be just resolution.
quality mode nowadays - usually terribly laggy 30fps. In hogwarts defense. Their 30fps mode is fine.
Performance mode? 60fps but vaseline.
40fps seems to be the sweetspot but you never know

Freeza93

Banned
What? Just pick what looks and feels best to you. Its not hard.

Hgig only on the brightest oled/tvs otherwise, dtm. hgig is very often too dim since most people are not playing in a pitch black room. i use dtm 98% if the time. its very rare the hgig is even. hgig is garbage

MaKTaiL

Ah yes anal idiot ista. Is fake.
I don't know why you wanna keep arguing with me over something I wasn't even arguing over. All I said was that Performance Uncapped > Performance HFR simply because the framerate difference is minimal for the resolution difference between the two. That's it. I don't f** care if the game uses FSR or not. The target resolution is different between the two modes and that's what I'm choosing over. Period.

Freeza93

Banned
I don't know why you wanna keep arguing with me over something I wasn't even arguing over. All I said was that Performance Uncapped > Performance HFR simply because the framerate difference is minimal for the resolution difference between the two. That's it. I don't f** care if the game uses FSR or not. The target resolution is different between the two modes and that's what I'm choosing over. Period.
Its not minimal in the slightest. But im used to 120-140 fps so i can feel the difference immediately

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

41 min

They blame that "they don't have the game".
Excuse me?! The game came out like 5 days ago on Wednesday. I am sure they are often receiving games that they do not receive too

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons

41 min

Excuse me?! The game came out like 5 days ago on Wednesday. I am sure they are often receiving games that they do not receive too

Whats even more embarrassing is that they cut out the other 2 face cams when he put that weak ass excuse.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Whats even more embarrassing is that they cut out the other 2 face cams when he put that weak ass excuse.
yep. They are clearly afraid to cover it which is crazy to me.
We know that the reee crowd cannot be satisfied. There is nothing one can do to meet their idiotic demands.
Showing that you are scared of them is not the way.

oji-san

Banned
At this point it really doesn't matter why, it's ignored on Eurogamer like the game never exist, totally unprofessional.

MaKTaiL

Hogwarts offers one of the best console graphical options ever made recently and the fact that Digital Foundry is refusing to cover it due to political propaganda is baffling. Being able to unlock framerate on basically every mode makes this game future proof for next-gen consoles without ever needing to get a patch. This should be mandatory for any game out there nowadays.

Last edited:

Jaybe

Hogwarts offers one of the best console graphical options ever made recently and the fact that Digital Foundry is refusing to cover it due to political propaganda is baffling. Being able to unlock framerate on basically every mode makes this game future proof for next-gen consoles without ever needing to get a patch. This should be mandatory for any game out there nowadays.
They covered it today answering questions

z0KjOGo.jpg

Urban

We need a NXGAMER breakdown.

@Topic: If i use the 40fps mode, do i need to enable 120hz and VRR on my TV? I have the x90h

PlayerNumber0ne

Neo Member

41 min

They are shaking for Reee…

Scared Horror GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

its a shame they dont have Balls
Testicles GIF

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Hmmm I am switching to fidelity. Balanced is a bit blurry outside.
Not sure if I can get used to it. The motion blur implementation does not look as good at 30 as 40. But input lag and controls are fine. Not the worst 30fps on ps5. Not as good as uc4 remaster either. That game motion blur and controls are so good, 30fps is fine.
Anyway. Let’s try

Edit: I know, I know.My Pc would run 4k60 without rt like ps5 no problems but I’ve had not a single stutter or crash or issue with this version yet. Reading pc thread you can get a different impression

Last edited:
I'm totally happy with the 40 fps mode on Ps5. Hope they don't fuck it up later in a patch!

Flickin Naughty Dog with LoU1. Gotham knights downgrading resolution post launch to fix the framerate and if course CD Project "Dread" as in, "I dread it whenever this dev puts out a patch!".

We are in the age of incompetence. You never know if your game will not be made worse.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm totally happy with the 40 fps mode on Ps5. Hope they don't fuck it up later in a patch!

Flickin Naughty Dog with LoU1. Gotham knights downgrading resolution post launch to fix the framerate and if course CD Project "Dread" as in, "I dread it whenever this dev puts out a patch!".

We are in the age of incompetence. You never know if your game will not be made worse.
Yea it’s good.
30 is fine too but hard in eyes on oled without very good motion blur

I’m level 22 and just finished the quest where you unlock Alohomora and the more I play this game the more I enjoy it, it just keeps surprising me with how great it is.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

41 min

yep. They are clearly afraid to cover it which is crazy to me.
We know that the reee crowd cannot be satisfied. There is nothing one can do to meet their idiotic demands.
Showing that you are scared of them is not the way.

Does NXGamer have a video out ? Does VGTech ? No right ?

What is it with some users here and the completely absurd and irrational DF hate.

They've clearly said that they're working on coverage for the game. They also took a long time to put out a Dead Space video even after the patch.

Relax and give it a break.

Yep. It's the best of both worlds, good fidelity and much better response and fluidity than the 30 FPS mode.

Last edited:
Top Bottom