• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy is Europe’s fastest-selling game (that isn’t FIFA) for a generation | European Monthly Charts (PS5 5x last year)

Damn at that TLOU boost. Well deserved though, probably one of my favourite franchises out there.

HL performing crazy good isn’t that surprising though. Combine one of the biggest IP ever with an incredibly well made game and this is what you get.

No doubt the "backlash" helped 😂

Good game, but not that good, jeez.
The streisand effect? Yeah, Im about to purchase soon, I dont know much of anything about HP though.
The last gen versions should post some insane numbers when it comes out.

Also, WTF is TLOU PT II doing there on the boards? Post TV Show hype?
Because its really that good, you should try it. There are very few games with combat that feels as satisfying.

dDoc

What I’m disappointed about is that skillup never covered the game. I didn’t know he’s woke leaning too.

Seems like a good lad, but yeah he shows signs of "wokeness" now and again. Pity. Deducted some quality points due for him to that :)

Davesky

No Way Wtf GIF by NDR

What I’m disappointed about is that skillup never covered the game. I didn’t know he’s woke leaning too.
He's mostly nuanced, and Era hate him. I would have really liked to have seen what he'd say in a Hogwarts review, but the publisher didn't send him a code. He already set aside time to play the game because he thought he was getting a code, but when it didn't happen he had other games he needed to cover.

His podcast covered the game, but they did take the whole "JK Rowling bad" angle, with the harshest comments of course coming from the gamespot employee. To be fair, they did spend most of the time talking about the game itself rather than Rowling.

consoul

That headline tho.
fastest-selling game (that isn’t FIFA)

So, not the fastest selling game then. Not even second fastest.

Gambit2483

Not sure if this is a good or bad thing for Warner Bros. Games...🤔

In this Industry: Success -> Confidence -> Greed -> Nothing good

Last edited:

JayK47

Great timing for the release it seems. It worked out well for me as I had nothing really going on. And it was good to go "out of the box" unlike most games these days that needs months or years of patches. Happy to hear it. Well deserved.

onQ123

Sony quarterly reports will be fun.

They sold 12.8M PS5's so far this FY & forecast is 18 or 19 million so either way they need to push over 5 million so we will see how that go

They should be close to 1 million in Japan if the next few weeks continue to sale 90K units & we know it's doing way better in EU & more than likely will also do way better in the US

Last year they did 2 million this quarter & we already know it's doing way better around the world this year I'm betting on them at least selling 5.8 million

StereoVsn

Which was the last one? the "believe in generations" or is something else? That kind of "heated" internet debate is not really capable to reach the mainstream, people don't care as long as they have games to play 🤷‍♂️

Also, wow, I really thought Avalanche Group, the guys who make the Just Cause games were the ones who developed HL, now I know there is another Avalanche studio :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Umm...thought they were the same shop as well, lol. Oops.

whoops-my-bad-whoopsie-daisy.gif

Woke people right now:
Youre super silly. Jk Rowling is a progressive person. Feminist at that. “Woke” as you put it. The game it self is woke. There’s a transperson in actual game.

You just bought to the idea that the game is some rebellious statement against “wokeness”, out of childishness.

EN250

He explained why though, nothing to do with being "woke" (what a stupid word my god, full on cringe) WB said was going to send a copy to review but never happened, then he asked why and got no response on time, so by the time he gets the game, he won't have time to review it since he's hyped af about D2 Lightfall and FFXVI already so he'll be covering other games and move on

Laieon

I genuinely hope TGA and other sites will at least list this game as a nominee for 2023 awards. The thought of seeing how these clowns will react to this being named on live streams is already amusing

I'd say there's a decent chance considering it was nominated for most anticipated game last year.

I genuinely hope TGA and other sites will at least list this game as a nominee for 2023 awards. The thought of seeing how these clowns will react to this being named on live streams is already amusing
They watch a retarded livestream already called like "cozy streams" which would cut away during hogwarts stuff in the past. It's truly cult like behavior, shit you'd see from like North Korea. Insane

They locked the thread to ban people who mentioned the game lol clearly some lunatics lol

aXAARbE.png
„Will probably ban some people“?
Era is getting more and more ridiculous by the day. Banning people just for acknowledging the most successful game of the year in a sales thread is insanity.

Even as a leftie I can’t help but laugh at Era. They really should leave their bubble from time to time.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They sold 12.8M PS5's so far this FY & forecast is 18 or 19 million so either way they need to push over 5 million so we will see how that go

They should be close to 1 million in Japan if the next few weeks continue to sale 90K units & we know it's doing way better in EU & more than likely will also do way better in the US

Last year they did 2 million this quarter & we already know it's doing way better around the world this year I'm betting on them at least selling 5.8 million
They upped their forecast from 5.2 million to 6.2 million, which shows their confidence. The 5.8 million figure is a pretty safe bet. I think they will hit 6 million, which is ridiculous for the first quarter of the year and considering that Xbox X and S are averaging 2 million consoles per quarter!

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I mean the older Harry Potter games didnt come close to this in success, not even equivelant success 'pound for pound'. There must be a lot of buyers that are partly buying this as a push back against the woke agenda.
Gaming market was much smaller by then. That gives me an itch to buy this game. If I understand it’s like Witcher 3 and AC with HP paint on top, correct?

This is Avalanche Software, WB company
lol... I also believed the JC, Mad Max guys made Hogwarts. Did not know about a second Avalanche, or forgot it, or whatever.
Weird, Avalanche and also Monolith, that companies exist within gaming that fuck up at creativity when finding their unique studio name. Whoever was second should have used Snowslide studios or something.

I would have hoped that a couple weeks after Xmas the PS5 situation would be fine, but still the go to shops in my country show "no products found" ie sold out "delivery 16.03.2023" which moves every now and then back or something. UK seems to be the place where you actually can choose between a few options, but the rest kind of has to take what is offered.
Which is at least not necessarily some scalper nonsense anymore, even though they still have their offers everywhere and won't really go down with their prices.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
The term ‚woke‘ should really be retired at this point. Not only because it‘s gotten old, but also because it is actually a misnomer. ‚Woke‘ implies someone is ‚awake‘, while others are asleep, which in turn implies a ‚woke‘ person knows more of the world than someone who‘s ‚unwoke‘. You could say Neo in the Matrix became ‚woke‘ when he discovered that his world is an illusion, and he woke up in the real world.

But people that are generally called ‚woke‘ aren’t anything like that, they are the opposite; they are neurotic, oversocialized, and hyper-conformist, and nothing terrifies them more than the thought that the world they‘ve build in their heads isn’t actually real. That‘s the reason why they consider certain forms of speech violence; they see no distinction between the real, physical world and the mental, immaterial world of ideology they‘ve constructed for themselves.

We really need a better term. I think something like ‚church ladies‘ or ‚schoolmarms‘ would be a much more apt description of their hyper-conformist, neurotic and stultifying nature. At the end of the day, these people are just incredibly lame and boring, and they suck the excitement and vitality out of everything they touch. So instead of saying „that movie was woke“, say „that movie was written by a bunch of church ladies“. Instead of „ResetEra is a woke forum“, say „ResetEra is populated by annoying schoolmarms“, or something like that. Calling someone ‚woke‘ just elicits an eye roll; but something like church lady or schoolmarm hits them right where it hurts, since despite everything, they still like to pretend they‘re transgressive rebels of some kind.

Last edited:
Top Bottom