• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy is the biggest Harry Potter game launch of all time | UK Boxed Charts

Read Me Too GIF by Maudit

That's a pretty big difference between the two. I know Sony had the marketing deal but it can't be just that.

Remember a lot of Xbox consoles out there are series s with no disk drive so that is going to impact physical sales dramatically

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Read Me Too GIF by Maudit

That's a pretty big difference between the two. I know Sony had the marketing deal but it can't be just that.

82% of Hogwarts Legacy's sales were on PS5, with the remaining 18% on Xbox Series S and X. Digital sales will likely reduce that gap between the two platforms as Xbox's digital share tends to be higher than it is in physical (in part due to the popularity of the digital-only Xbox Series S)."

Elden Ring's Xbox sales were 85% digital of the total sales on that platform.

Xbox games tend to sell a lot more digitally than physically.

We al know this already, yet every time one of these threads comes up we all feign ignorance.

Last edited:

yazenov

We al know this already, yet every time one of these threads comes up we all feign ignorance.

EU sales split:
44% PC
40% PS
16% Xbox

these include both digital and physical. The game sold around 2.5 x more units on PlayStation than Xbox.

Now that the PS5 has a huge lead over the Xbox last year, the splits will be much higher in favor of the PlayStation, especially given the marketing deal with Sony for this game.

Last edited:

are you saying that PS players dont buy digital games at all?

Digital bought Games make almost 80% on PlayStation.

These sales are proof that the vocal minority on Twitter and Ree does not represent the general population. Consumers do not give a fuck about their woke Idiology and just wants to have a great time playing video games.

...Which makes the fact that companies and businesses cater to the insignificant and bitter minority (a sure way to enable their behaviour) all the more baffling.

Last edited:

adamsapple

are you saying that PS players dont buy digital games at all?

Digital bought Games make almost 80% on PlayStation.

No, I'm saying for Xbox, a big majority of most game sales in the UK is done digitally. Proportionally more so than the same game would sell digitally on PS, using games like Elden Ring and Lego Star Wars as known big examples.

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned
These sales are proof that the vocal minority on Twitter and Ree does not represent the general population. Consumers do not give a fuck about their woke Idiology and just wants to have a great time playing video games.
Yep they are a very combative vocal minority! I think the reason why they appear the majority is that most normal people don't have the time or energy to argue with them all day and night.

Chozoldman

Banned
...Which makes the fact that companies and businesses cater to the insignificant and bitter minority (a sure way to enable their behaviour) all the more baffling.
DEI departments and quota hiring. The ones doing the catering, are part of the vocal minority, and they are more and more regularly being put into positions of power in an attempt by companies to appear as "allies".

Last edited:

Moneal

Yep they are a very combative vocal minority! I think the reason why they appear the majority is that most normal people don't have the time or energy to argue with them all day and night.
On twittter or any platform 10% make 80% of the posts. So if you gage the world based off only social media without taking that into account you would think they were the majority.

Well you keep ignoring digital sales on PlayStation. Pretty sure the ratio for PlayStation is still quite high if nothings changed.

No one knows since no one can even mention this game without being banned, lmao.

I am noticing a lot of suspicious downplaying going on elsewhere, that I'm guessing might be coming from them.

Apparently Elden Ring's launch sales were never all that impressive now. So beating it isn't a big deal. 🤣

Tsaki

Wired gave the game 1/10 as a political protest score, not how good the actual game was.
Shit is fucked up. In the review they called it middle-of-the-road game, which in absolute terms would make it a 5/10 or in game review terms a 7/10. Nope, it turns out mid is synonymous with 1/10.
The thing is the review has to get through more people up the chain, meaning they all thought "Yep, everything here seems legit. This is a review to be proud of for us at WIRED".

drganon

That's debatable one might suggest that it did have an effect but not the desired one. The outrage/boycott just increased sales when they were trying to decrease sales. It blew up in their face.

True, but having visited universal studios last year, people still really love potter in general. I imagine most have never even heard of the "controversy" or don't care.

Remember a lot of Xbox consoles out there are series s with no disk drive so that is going to impact physical sales dramatically

Well I was commenting on this article which is about boxed sales. Difference is still quite big and its curious to see. I'm not sure if there will be a big change if you include digital in the equation.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Well you keep ignoring digital sales on PlayStation. Pretty sure the ratio for PlayStation is still quite high if nothings changed.

Think you've got it backwards. No one's ignoring digital sales on PS, but multiple users, including yourself, are certainly doing it the other way around.

The article itself says it expects the gap to lessen with digital sales in the very next line.

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
It’s a great game and I’m having a ton of fun. And I am someone that never read any HP books or watched any HP movies. Since I started the game I’ve started watching the movies. I can’t believe I never paid it any attention prior to this.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
On twittter or any platform 10% make 80% of the posts. So if you gage the world based off only social media without taking that into account you would think they were the majority.
And something like 10% of Americans even have a Twitter account. 10% of 10% = 1%. So people see a self-selecting, very vocal, very small minority (1-2%%) and somehow assume that represents the people in general

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
True, but having visited universal studios last year, people still really love potter in general. I imagine most have never even heard of the "controversy" or don't care.
In regards to Harry Potter many fans don't care and they shouldn't. Harry Potter is about Wizards and Magic. JKR has really created a magic world with lots of lore in a similar vein to what Tolkien did for Lord of the Rings and Middle Earth. Even though I think I think in a way stuff like Star Wars and Harry Potter are just more byproducts of Tolkien with other people either taking derivatives or being inspired by what he created.

Legacy is quite great. Being a HP fan on top of that makes it quite amazing. And the game is quite good being the last HP game I thought was good although linear was Chamber of Secrets.

Game is selling off of name brand, coming out at the right time and a being a great adventure.

The "controversy" has nothing to do with Harry Potter as a franchise so it literally doesn't matter. And from what I've seen ingame with the limited character creation as well as NPCs I'm seeing a lot of inclusion of a myriad amount of racial/cultural differences but also being subtle that these differences are just a smaller piece of a larger whole and doesn't completely define that character.

And the "controversy" HATES that.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
So does PlayStation
All he's saying is that it's common sense that Xbox has a higher proportion of digital sales. No one is saying PS has no digital sales, and that it's not a large percentage. But the best selling Xbox is a digital only console, meaning the best version of Xbox is 100% digital sales. I'm sure it's still way behind PS, but it doesn't hurt anyone to acknowledge a common sense point.

All he's saying is that it's common sense that Xbox has a higher proportion of digital sales. No one is saying PS has no digital sales, and that it's not a large percentage. But the best selling Xbox is a digital only console, meaning the best version of Xbox is 100% digital sales. I'm sure it's still way behind PS, but it doesn't hurt anyone to acknowledge a common sense point.

Sure, but when the digital sales data comes out it’s still going to show a big difference between PS and Xbox that’s larger than the install base would suggest

I'll be fair to those that didn't enjoy my comment. I'll wait for the true sales before commenting on the split any further. I did say I don't expect there to be a massive difference but if there is I'll admit that I'm wrong.

Anyways I'm glad this game is going well since it seems very good. I'm currently going through FarCry 6 but this might be the next one I pick up. I need to see a few reviews before deciding if it's a type of game that i would enjoy.

P.S I'm going to ignore the review bombs though. I know that there's some controversy behind the author but I'm not going to use that to judge the game. Unless the game is funding some sort of weird Nazi Cult i don't have an issue with buying it.

Elysion

Banned
80% more than Elden Ring? That‘s ridiculous lol. Didn’t ER sell more than 20mio?

Regarding last-gen versions, I actually don’t think those will sell that much. A couple million, sure, but nothing close to the current gen versions. However, the Switch version is another story. If it is competently done (at least on par with the Witcher 3 Switch port), then I could see that version doing massive numbers as well (meaning >10mio).

Overall, assuming a successful Switch version, this might sell 30-40mio this year, making it by far the most successful game of 2023.

adamsapple

So does PlayStation

It does, just not as much proportionally.

I don't think anyone is denying that PS is massively dominating right now.

... except Jim Ryan when talking to the CMA

Yeah I don't know why anyone assumes adding digital will make Xbox 2 : 1 lol. But it's a known fact that the huge majority of Xbox sales in UK are digital. Up to 85%.

And in some examples like Lego Star Wars (which sold gangbusters), the digital sales on Xbox were higher than PS. but when both combined, PS was still higher, however by a few percentage points, not the 85 to 15 ratio you often see in physical only sales.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Lol no way those Mario Kart games arent bundles.
When I bought my Switch, it was £280 by itself, or £280 including Mario Kart 8 lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What are they going to do when next months npd report comes out?

G3RHSMDUORPLVOEMFZXOVXXGBA.jpg
Harry Potter is a big seller. It'll be on top sellers lists all year whether it's NPD, other regional sales lists or console top played lists.

They are going to ban all list threads? Or perhaps they'll edit OP charts and black out that row? lol

Top Bottom