• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy is the most anticipated game of 2023

mdkirby

yeah, most regular gamers I know are looking forward to it, but then also my wife and several of my friends wives, who only rarely play games (and one who doesn’t play at all) are all wanting to play it. It has a hugely broad demographic appeal and excitement from all those groups. It will do very well.

gokurho

This is my most anticipated game too.

Avalanche Software​

nwdnqUE.jpg

LZMg05G.jpg

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Luke Stephens has done a video about this game, and some of the things he says are concerning:

The chance of heavy monetisation is bad, as is the track record of the developers.

Hoping for this to be great, but I'm as skeptical as he is at this point.

Just watched the video. Negatives were Avalanche Software's previous games which were mainly for kids and not meant to be amazing critic wise, a horrible $300 collector's edition which isn't for me and the Dark Arts Combat Arena being tied to the deluxe edition which also includes three days early access. Since I will be on vacation that week, getting to play the game three days earlier while also getting access to the combat arena which I see as a bonus since im buying the deluxe edition for the three days early access. Then he talks about Shadow of War and the monetization in that game which okay but different development studio and game was still an 82 on Open Critic.

To each their own but none of what Luke says is even remotely concerning to me.

Chronicle

I'm getting older. Harry Potter was in the gen after mine. I always thought he was a douche and Ron would never land Hermione. No thanks but enjoy.

GenericUser

I hope hogwarts turns out to be great for all the people that are looking forward to it. But it's definitely not for me.

Avalanche Software​

nwdnqUE.jpg

LZMg05G.jpg

The life you've lived is not the only life you're capable of living.
If people never gave anything/anyone new or unproven a chance and only ever look at track records, we wouldn't even any successful properties we have today across any media. The newbie of today could be the master of tomorrow.

belmarduk

Tears of the Kingdom being only at number ten really shows how Nintendo's marketing strategies aren't helping publicize the game. Breath of the Wild sold almost 28 million copies... this game should be more highly-anticipated.

Release more footage of the game! The Zelda fans who do endless theorizing based on a few seconds of footage are not the majority of fans!

Tears of the Kingdom being only at number ten really shows how Nintendo's marketing strategies aren't helping publicize the game. Breath of the Wild sold almost 28 million copies... this game should be more highly-anticipated.

Release more footage of the game! The Zelda fans who do endless theorizing based on a few seconds of footage are not the majority of fans!

This data is flawed, peopel are probably searching for the sequel as BOTW/Breath Of The Wild 2, not Tears of The Kingdom.

belmarduk

Looking forward to the "Hogwarts Legacy breaking sales records depresses me" and "Hogwarts Legacy selling this well shows how hateful the world is" cope articles from the beta and weirdo writers on Kotaku and Polygon.

I look forward to a lesser gaming forum banning discussion of the most anticipated game of the year and people flocking here to NeoGAF to discuss it. The game really looks great and despite not really being a fan of the franchise, I plan to buy it.

belmarduk

This data is flawed, peopel are probably searching for the sequel as BOTW/Breath Of The Wild 2, not Tears of The Kingdom.

People have known about the title since December. The anticipation just isn't there. I'm sure the game will be good regardless. There's never been a bad Zelda game.

People pay waaaaaaaaay to much attention to developers track record...

Think of all the devs that taken multiple attempts to get a hit. FROM Software, CD project red, Rocksteady even Naughty Dog took till 2009 to get a mega hit.

Now think of the good devs that delivered a disappointment.... Bethesda, Bioware, Ubisoft, CD project red LOL, Naughty Dog LOL Budgie.... I could go on.

This is there first major game. Judging them on bunch of licence games they needed to bash out in a year doesn't seem appropriate.

Until we play the game I think Judging it by the footage is the best indicator of its quality and it looks fantastic.

People have known about the title since December. The anticipation just isn't there. I'm sure the game will be good regardless. There's never been a bad Zelda game.

It won most anticipated at the game awards, now don’t tell me those awards dont count after all these GOTY elden Ring threads

Last edited:

Mr Moose

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
The game does seem interesting, but magic bores me to death. Give me swords and axes and I’ll be there day 1.

Whoopie Just Saying GIF by MOODMAN

Sybrix

The game does seem interesting, but magic bores me to death. Give me swords and axes and I’ll be there day 1.

Whoopie Just Saying GIF by MOODMAN

I'm sorta with you on that.

I dont like Harry Potter movies, the whole magic wizard thing is stupid.

However, the allure of brand new open world game is pretty enticing. After seeing the gameplay videos so far it does look fun.

I'm a huge fan of Bully and hope this game offers a Bully type experience.

Luke Stephens has done a video about this game, and some of the things he says are concerning:

The chance of heavy monetisation is bad, as is the track record of the developers.

Hoping for this to be great, but I'm as skeptical as he is at this point.

Meh what would have been more useful is if he critiqued the footage available of which there is about 90 minutes now.

Instead all we get is a bunch of guff about the dev track record and monetisation practices. That's 25 minutes of my life I am not getting back! (Not blaming you for posting I saw thus before!)

Corian33

I work with people who rarely play games and have been excited about this game for months. HP is still very popular, and there hasn’t been an exciting game in the IP like this ever. I think it will do extremely well.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

Avalanche Software​

nwdnqUE.jpg

LZMg05G.jpg

Avalanche Studios was a "corporate" studio whose sole job was to produce video game tie-ins for their corporate bosses. The goal for every game in their portfolio was player engagement not quality (and they likely weren't even given much of a budget to do either). Fast forward to DISNEY dumping their in-house video game dreams with WB picking up an already established studio who goes "Oh, so we have a chance to work on non-cynical advertising and make an actual game? Let's go." Like I could see if ANYTHING they were working on in their portfolio was an ACTUAL game meant to be played by people who aren't old enough to drive and are just happy to see cartoon characters move across their screen.

. . .always said this has a chance to absolutely crash and burn, but it won't be because the development team isn't trying to put their best foot forward.

The life you've lived is not the only life you're capable of living.
If people never gave anything/anyone new or unproven a chance and only ever look at track records, we wouldn't even any successful properties we have today across any media. The newbie of today could be the master of tomorrow.
Thor. "Don't you know what I've Done!

Kratos. "Yes! But what are you going to do now?!

Someone smarter than me needs to make I gif of that!

Elysion

Banned
I think >20million in the first year is entirely possible. If Spiderman can do it on only one console, then Harry Potter can easily do it across all systems.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
As someone who was actually in the toys-to-life business back in the day. Disney infinity while having a few misteps especially with the first release, did have great ideas especially with the toy box, which was a carry over of the Toy box from the Toy Story 3 videogame and they did an actual great job on improving on until Version 3.

No idea what happened with cars as I was out by then and it's not a TTL game by the looks of it.

And as others have pointed out Rome wasn't built in a day, and visually their new game looks leagues better than prior titles with a real attention to detail. I'm more than willing to give them a chance.

Last edited:
What kind of garbage article and “study” is this? In what universe does Google searches equate to anticipation/sales? Calling this a “study” is like me opening up an Etsy account called UseyPoosey where I sell my used underwear and I advertise on my LinkedIn that I’m the “CEO” of UseyPoosey

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
  1. Hogwarts Legacy - 1.23 million searches
  2. Starfield - 540,000 searches
  3. Diablo 4 - 301,000 searches
  4. Sons of the Forest - 224,000 searches
  5. Baldur's Gate 3 - 206,000 searches
  6. Forspoken - 192,000 searches
  7. The Day Before - 187,000 searches
  8. Blue Protocol - 185,000 searches
  9. Resident Evil 4 - 161,000 searches
  10. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom/Ark 2 - 154,000 searches
Search lists mean nothing. Zelda at 10th place at 1/8th the searches and only sold on Switch will probably outsell Harry Potter.

Who knew more gamers cared about Forspoken than Zelda.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Harry Potter seemed like a big thing, a lot of it is spells, jk rolling being under pressure for certain views. A wizard game is definitely interesting.

Fake

Search lists mean nothing.

Neither 'likes' from Twitter and Facebook, but PR those days use this as a metric quite a lot.

In fact, none of this are better representation of sales. Saint Rows got a tons of 'like' and sells like shit.

Harry Potter is a huge franchise, but I do agree with you about the search mean nothing. Probably after that witch hunt social media is doing to the HP writer is making the search increase those days.

I'm sorta with you on that.

I dont like Harry Potter movies, the whole magic wizard thing is stupid.

However, the allure of brand new open world game is pretty enticing. After seeing the gameplay videos so far it does look fun.

I'm a huge fan of Bully and hope this game offers a Bully type experience.
It will be wayy more pg and pc than Bully I'm afraid

Hogwarts Legacy has been delayed a million years now, what are even the odds it will actually be good?

Harry Potter is a franchise where I can't think of a single good videogame that has ever been made relating to it.

sandbood

Banned
Bold take. Bet?
How is that bole take when Zelda BOTW is selling around 30 million units at full price while no Harry Potter's games came close to it.

Sequel to the highest rated game of the generation is going to blow Hogwarts Legacy without any trouble.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Unless this game gets catastrophically bad reviews across the board, it’ll sell 15m copies in its first year. Easily.

Judging by the footage we’ve had, it looks competent. I’m buying it day one on Series S using a foreign market place.

Larxia

Should start taking bets now on how many words Polygon's review will dedicate to Rowling's "problematic politics" or whatever.
I really don't get it. From what I followed, she simply said that men can't have babies, only women can, and that's somehow the issue? Do they realize that... We all agree with her since that's just... a fact?
It's really weird.

Top Bottom