• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy - Official Launch Trailer Released

Pagusas

Elden Member
Yet their name is all over the promotional material, where's Avalanche Software and their branding? I checked out the game's Wikipedia page a couple months ago and Portkey Games were listed as the sole developer. This has come as a little bit of a surprise, it reminds of Rockstar Games taking most of the credit for L.A Noire when Team Bondi actually did the work.
cDHU28ds7cCvKAnVQo719gs0.png
41YEpZq%2BvzL._UL1600_.jpg
Avalanche was hired to make the game by Portkey, their name is all over the trailers, but even then at the end of the day they are basically a contracted studio, they arent working on their own IP or their own studio game, they are working for hire.

If you hire someone to build your house, its still YOUR house, the contractor gets some credit on some documents, but when you talk about the house, you call it your house, not Highland homes construction house.

Last edited:
Avalanche was hired to make the game by Portkey, their name is all over the trailers, but even then at the end of the day they are basically a contracted studio, they arent working on their own IP or their own studio game, they are working for hire.

If you hire someone to build your house, its still YOUR house, the contractor gets some credit on some documents, but when you talk about the house, you call it your house, not Highland homes construction house.
But then the question arises as to why Portkey Games is needed in the first place. Aside from having a Harry Potter themed name, their role could have easily been handled by the large department at Warner Bros games. Electronic Arts had a studio called Bright Light that developed the original movie tie-ins, but they ACTUALLY developed the games.

EA_Bright_Light_logo.jpg

Pagusas

Elden Member
But then the question arises as to why Portkey Games is needed in the first place. Aside from having a Harry Potter themed name, their role could have easily been handled by the large department at Warner Bros games. Electronic Arts had a studio called Bright Light that developed the original movie tie-ins, but they ACTUALLY developed the games.

EA_Bright_Light_logo.jpg

Because companies work in divisions, Portkey is incharge of managing the video game arm of the Potter brand. Just like the Pokemon company doesnt actually make Pokemon games, Gamefreak does.

Because companies work in divisions, Portkey is incharge of managing the video game arm of the Potter brand. Just like the Pokemon company doesnt actually make Pokemon games, Gamefreak does.
Apparently Portkey Games are a developer as they've made a couple of Harry Potter mobile games. I understand the need to bring everything under one cohesive banner, but not seeing Avalanche Software's logo or name nowhere near this thing put a bad taste in my mouth. I hope they are compensated well for it.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Apparently Portkey Games are a developer as they've made a couple of Harry Potter mobile games. I understand the need to bring everything under one cohesive banner, but not seeing Avalanche Software's logo or name nowhere near this thing put a bad taste in my mouth. I hope they are compensated well for it.
They bidded on the project, they are likely paid a set rate + bonuses based on review score aggregation and delivery date hitting. At the end of the day they probably made a decent buck to keep their studio moving forward, but nothing ground breaking. They are contractors at the end of the day.

They didn't develop the mobile games either.

hDbccaR.jpg

The story isn't capturing me. It's giving filler episode vibes. But I'm buying mostly to play around Hogwarts which is the biggest draw. Do wish it had more simulation elements like bully.

MastAndo

Gold Member
I'm not much of a Harry Potter fan, but this definitely has piqued my interest. Looks like it could be a lot of fun.

Top Bottom