• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy |OT| The Prisoners of AskforBan

No that has always been pointless, it's pointless today and will always be pointless. People won't stop buying games because of that. It's very naive and unrealistic to think it will make a difference.
but, you just took the time to do so yourself:
MS did the exact same thing in the 360 gen. They always use the install base advantage for this things.
It's still less sleazy then a trillion dollar company buying a 70bn publisher to "be able to compete" with a 100bn company.
i mean, if you think i'm wasting my time doing so, then why even bother mentioning this? aren't you also just pointlessly acknowledging here the existence of sleaze, knowing it also won't make any difference?...

which, as i say, i'm fine with. &, again: i'm not saying, or even implying, that 'it will make a difference'. but, y'know, if the only things we, as a species, were to acknowledge or discuss were those things where we could actually 'make a difference', we'd quickly become very dull, boring, & lifeless...

FarmerGiles

16gb and I suspected this could be the issue as well as it's using 15gb as it is. It's by far the highest I've ever seen.

I was considering upgrading to 32gb ddr4. Glad to hear from someone it works.

Yeah, exact same issue. System was reporting it was using around 15.5gb, now I've updated to 32, it's got a lot smoother, and system's using around 19-20gb, definitely time to upgrade.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah, exact same issue. System was reporting it was using around 15.5gb, now I've updated to 32, it's got a lot smoother, and system's using around 19-20gb, definitely time to upgrade.
Same. I go up to 25 gb with rt on. And 22gb in hogsmead.

Vram sits at 7gb on my 10 gb 3080 so no idea why it doesn’t move more stuff there.

balgajo

I took a few days break from the game, tried to continue and still feeling a little burned out on it. I should probably just work on the main story for a while. I don't plan on trying to platinum this anyway.
I was having fun with the game. Then I started exploring after receiving the broom and it was repetition over and over. I think I will focus on quests instead of exploring by myself.

rofif

Banned
I was having fun with the game. Then I started exploring after receiving the broom and it was repetition over and over. I think I will focus on quests instead of exploring by myself.
I found the side stuff to just be things you do on the way. Not go out of your way to do

Last edited:

Krathoon

Quests that don't reveal their final exit. Old school type bugs. Shit sucks man. I googled up the results and see people cheerfully finishing quests that I am locked out of.

What a waste of $80 or whatever.

EDIT: I have reloaded my game three times and it is broken on new ways each time. Fuck.
I remember when Skyrim had some weird scripting bugs like that. Who am I kidding, it still does. I ran into some that last time I played.

Do you have the PC version? Is there a console that can be brought up? Really, they should give people console access in a game like this.

mcjmetroid

Yikes well thanks for confirming. I had my suspicions alright but didn't want to admit to needing to spend more money after just dropping on a 4070 ti

Spaceman292

Banned
My biggest complaint of the limited gear slots vanished when I realized you could wear any gear "overtop" the gear you have on for stats. I didn't see that little option in the gear menu.

I wish more games had that system. Let you use any gear for it's stats but then also wear whatever the hell you want for fashion.
It makes you wonder why they don't just dump the whole looter rpg stuff. Just have cosmetic rewards and tune the game to be more difficult the further you go. All the numbers and switching it just annoying.

SCB3

Finally finished the Main quest, it was really good and a nice Wizarding story, I also did all the major sidequests as well, but not also going for 100%

My only real gripe is the ending quest, you need to reach Level 34, I am currently 27 so I'd need to grind it out, not sure I even want to bother with that tbh

I really got to find those gosh darn gobstones.
That quest is a bit shit. You'll be there forever walking around hogwarts looking for tiny fucking balls.

The best way to approach it is just forget about and the more you explore around Hogwarts you'll be near one and your character will say some shit about it. Cast revelio and accio it.

or you can do what I did and "cheat" by just tracking the quest and following the mini map directions to each one :)

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I remember when Skyrim had some weird scripting bugs like that. Who am I kidding, it still does. I ran into some that last time I played.

Do you have the PC version? Is there a console that can be brought up? Really, they should give people console access in a game like this.

The problem seems to have resolved itself after I let one of those big frog things kill me. I guess death undid whatever bug was afflicting my character.

Kabelly

That quest is a bit shit. You'll be there forever walking around hogwarts looking for tiny fucking balls.

The best way to approach it is just forget about and the more you explore around Hogwarts you'll be near one and your character will say some shit about it. Cast revelio and accio it.

or you can do what I did and "cheat" by just tracking the quest and following the mini map directions to each one :)
i wouldn't call that cheating. i did that and rushed through that quest so my character would shut the hell up.

Mossybrew

Rolled credits yesterday after about 44 hours. I'll still tool around and finish exploring and sidequesting but I doubt I'll do a second playthrough on this one. Really no major complaints about this game, it exceeded my expectations.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
This game is the perfect example of why I'll never be a trophy hunter and never get the appeal of it. This game has so many activities and apparently to get the platinum you need to do them all. There is not a soul in their right mind who is having fun flying around doing all the Merlin trials. There's so many of them.

It's the biggest reason I've always been anti trophy hunting. Trophies force you to do things you otherwise wouldn't care about doing and sometimes flat out wouldn't want to do. But people do it to feed their OCD habits. To me, that's not what gaming is about. Gaming is about fun, not doing chores. All the time spent doing all those damn Merlin trials could be spent playing another game you love.

Unless there are people out there who do actually enjoy the Merlin trials. but those people probably also take cold showers, eat candy bars with forks, and wear sunglasses indoors.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This game is the perfect example of why I'll never be a trophy hunter and never get the appeal of it. This game has so many activities and apparently to get the platinum you need to do them all. There is not a soul in their right mind who is having fun flying around doing all the Merlin trials. There's so many of them.

It's the biggest reason I've always been anti trophy hunting. Trophies force you to do things you otherwise wouldn't care about doing and sometimes flat out wouldn't want to do. But people do it to feed their OCD habits. To me, that's not what gaming is about. Gaming is about fun, not doing chores. All the time spent doing all those damn Merlin trials could be spent playing another game you love.

Unless there are people out there who do actually enjoy the Merlin trials. but those people probably also take cold showers, eat candy bars with forks, and wear sunglasses indoors.

I have gone around to get all the Merlin trials, as well as open all the chests. And do the astrology tables. And all the sidequests. I am having fun doing it and clicking off the checklist for each zone.

But I also can see this getting old fast if this game was any longer or more bloated. So far it has taken me about 60 hours to nearly 100% the game. Compared to something like AC Valhalla/Odyssey where 100% would take me nearly twice that and I stopped bothering with those games a while back. I would say this is close to a good length for this style of game, but it is certainly cutting it close.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I have gone around to get all the Merlin trials, as well as open all the chests. And do the astrology tables. And all the sidequests. I am having fun doing it and clicking off the checklist for each zone.

But I also can see this getting old fast if this game was any longer or more bloated. So far it has taken me about 60 hours to nearly 100% the game. Compared to something like AC Valhalla/Odyssey where 100% would take me nearly twice that and I stopped bothering with those games a while back. I would say this is close to a good length for this style of game, but it is certainly cutting it close.
omg I don't know how you could tolerate it. I could barely tolerate doing enough to unlock the full inventory space. I was getting mighty close to not even finishing those, I found it completely mundane and a total bore. Especially since there's only a few types of trials. If each trial had a different puzzle, that might lessen the blow of doing so many, but man... I found it boring. Looking back on it, I think I would've enjoy this game even more if I didn't do any side content at all. I realize looking back doing it took me out of the game and the world and made it feel like I was playing a typical bland open world game when doing it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
omg I don't know how you could tolerate it. I could barely tolerate doing enough to unlock the full inventory space. I was getting mighty close to not even finishing those, I found it completely mundane and a total bore. Especially since there's only a few types of trials. If each trial had a different puzzle, that might lessen the blow of doing so many, but man... I found it boring. Looking back on it, I think I would've enjoy this game even more if I didn't do any side content at all. I realize looking back doing it took me out of the game and the world and made it feel like I was playing a typical bland open world game when doing it.

Completely understandable! I found it more tolerable as I did the story up to a certain point where I basically unlocked all the content of the game and so I constantly had something to do. I would go from Merlin trial to Demiguise Statue to unlocking peoples houses to dungeon crawling, to astrology tables, etc. Made for a more enjoyable experience.

Stainless

Looking back on it, I think I would've enjoy this game even more if I didn't do any side content at all. I realize looking back doing it took me out of the game and the world and made it feel like I was playing a typical bland open world game when doing it.

I did all the main and side/relationship quests, and I stopped after the first 3-4 merlin trials. The gear is so trash in the game it's easy to just upgrade and then sell or destroy what's left. There's so much gold you get in the game that I didn't need to farm gear/items for gold. I would definitely have gotten burned out had I done the merlin trials, bandit camps, ancient magic hotspots, etc. Keeping it mainly to main and side quests made the game about the right length for me

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Finished the game yesterday, solid 8/10.
As others have said, it's by no means a perfect game but the love, care and attention that has gone into creating Hogwarts and his surroundings is amazing.

My biggest gripes would be those chests with random rewards, the broom that is too slow, the variety of enemies you encounter, and the lack of consistency in NPCs life.
Looks like the devs didn't want to take too many risks and I can't blame them. I hope they will try more things in the sequel.

I'd like to see the sequel beginning a few years after with us becoming an Auror, you can replace Hogwarts with The Minister for Magic which could be used as a HUB for different missions and activities.
The companion system could be implemented, just work a good story and we're set.

Finished the game yesterday, solid 8/10.
As others have said, it's by no means a perfect game but the love, care and attention that has gone into creating Hogwarts and his surroundings is amazing.

My biggest gripes would be those chests with random rewards, the broom that is too slow, the variety of enemies you encounter, and the lack of consistency in NPCs life.
Looks like the devs didn't want to take too many risks and I can't blame them. I hope they will try more things in the sequel.

I'd like to see the sequel beginning a few years after with us becoming an Auror, you can replace Hogwarts with The Minister for Magic which could be used as a HUB for different missions and activities.
The companion system could be implemented, just work a good story and we're set.
The enemy variety for me was the games biggest weakness.
They also did something I absolutely hate, knowing the enemy variety is largely the same, in one dungeon with Sébastien, he then says "oh look, more spiders". I don't like the characters pointing out the shortcomings of the game. I know it's annoying, the devs clearly knew it was annoying or getting annoying by adding that line, so why even bother doing that?
Other than that after rolling credits, I really enjoyed my time with the game.

Pedro Motta

Finished this game today, can't help but to feel a bitter taste in my mouth, such a disappointment.

It's starts wonderfully and the first 10-15 hours while we're still discovering things and exploring the game is great, but after that it really falls short on so many levels.

Combat feels great in the beginning, but after a few hours it's just repetitive and uninspired, enemies telegraph your moves with a teleport just to hit you, and the controls are not responsive lots of times.

Story is meh at best, quests are weak as fuck, the villain is bland, the final boss and ending are disappointing.

No way this will be GOTY.

krumble

So I've been absorbed by the game something chronic (as someone who read all the books, saw all the films, went to the west end theatre play etc)
Finished the main story earlier at 81 hours at level 36 and 90% complete. Got the 2 main post game chapters to complete
Still got quite a few small stuff to do all over the place, the f***ing spiders when you are weak are not good for someone that doesn't like spiders, until relatively recently once I got past level 30 and upgraded my high level outfits to the full with level 3 traits, but they still come out of nowhere and the way they try run around and dig under you, plenty of jump scares and general uneasiness
I've certainly got value for money out of this and enjoyed most of the mechanics
Will it be game of the year for me? Zelda is out in a few months so will be tough competition

closing in on the end, &, while the game's far surpassed any expectations i had, & while i've enjoyed my time with it thoroughly, i have to mention one thing, which is: the further away i wander from hogwarts & hogsmead, the more the game feels like just one more empty, repetitive open-world rpg. while, the closer i get on returning, the more the game begins to feel magical all over again. happens every time...

Nydius

There is not a soul in their right mind who is having fun flying around doing all the Merlin trials.
TIL that I have no soul. :messenger_winking_tongue:

I really did enjoy doing all of them to the point I did them all twice. But I do agree that 96 was way too many. IIRC you finish all the Merlin Trials challenges at half that number which is probably where it should have been instead, spaced out so you couldn’t finish them all before hitting the southern portion of the map.

I felt the number of astronomy tables and ancient magic upgrad locations was just right. Not too few, not too many. I found the combat challenges the most grindy, if I‘m honest.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
TIL that I have no soul. :messenger_winking_tongue:

I really did enjoy doing all of them to the point I did them all twice. But I do agree that 96 was way too many. IIRC you finish all the Merlin Trials challenges at half that number which is probably where it should have been instead, spaced out so you couldn’t finish them all before hitting the southern portion of the map.

I felt the number of astronomy tables and ancient magic upgrad locations was just right. Not too few, not too many. I found the combat challenges the most grindy, if I‘m honest.
Is your name David Puddy?

Kx8tLGDpvBFkG4b5m-CpyTYlCnM4mEvkGPJsK8JNTV4.jpg

Finished the game the other day - 48 hours. 73% of the side quests done.

I thought they were joking when they called it a "murder sim" lol - it really was! Not only that, felt a bit weird breaking into peoples rooms/houses to steal their possessions

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I know I'm way behind here (haven't gotten very far yet for various reasons), but holy FUCK why would they do the flying controls this way?! How could they not even have an option for normal controls (i.e. pitching and turning on the left stick)? Feels absolutely awful, and I hate that you can't freely control the camera while flying.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

I know I'm way behind here (haven't gotten very far yet for various reasons), but holy FUCK why would they do the flying controls this way?! How could they not even have an option for normal controls (i.e. pitching and turning on the left stick)? Feels absolutely awful, and I hate that you can't freely control the camera while flying.
Lol yeah its awful but you get used to it.

anothertech

My one gripe is probably the chest loot. The chests are worthless because the loot sucks. The algorithm should give you one minimally higher stat gear every so often. The chests seem worthless otherwise.

How in the hell am I meant to make money to afford all these scrolls and shit? I'm selling everything I don't need and opening every chest/bag I see but I'm just not getting much money.

Also, the plant weapons are too much of a hassle to grow. It takes 10 bloody minutes for a mandrake to grow. Same for the potions it's a pain in the ass to have to brew them one at a time. I know I need to buy the scrolls from that dude at Hogsmeade but can't get the money together.

How in the hell am I meant to make money to afford all these scrolls and shit? I'm selling everything I don't need and opening every chest/bag I see but I'm just not getting much money.

Also, the plant weapons are too much of a hassle to grow. It takes 10 bloody minutes for a mandrake to grow. Same for the potions it's a pain in the ass to have to brew them one at a time. I know I need to buy the scrolls from that dude at Hogsmeade but can't get the money together.

Unlock the invisibility spell and then sneak up on the chests with the eyeballs - 500 gold there and then

BlackTron

They also did something I absolutely hate, knowing the enemy variety is largely the same, in one dungeon with Sébastien, he then says "oh look, more spiders". I don't like the characters pointing out the shortcomings of the game. I know it's annoying, the devs clearly knew it was annoying or getting annoying by adding that line, so why even bother doing that?

I get what you mean. It shows they were completely self-aware about the shortcoming, and a more appropriate reaction would be to fix it, not add a voice line.

Just had the encounter with the flying thingy, what a beautiful scene, I had to record it! This games artstyle is so incredible pretty, even though I think its bugridden lack of details is annoying, I hope the developers will continue making Hogwarts games and use the money they earned with this game to get the details and world up to a RDR2 level.

Last edited:

Moneal

Pretty sure that line is a call back joke to Ron. Ron in the books and movies hated spiders and always complained about them too.

rofif

Banned
Finished this game today, can't help but to feel a bitter taste in my mouth, such a disappointment.

It's starts wonderfully and the first 10-15 hours while we're still discovering things and exploring the game is great, but after that it really falls short on so many levels.

Combat feels great in the beginning, but after a few hours it's just repetitive and uninspired, enemies telegraph your moves with a teleport just to hit you, and the controls are not responsive lots of times.

Story is meh at best, quests are weak as fuck, the villain is bland, the final boss and ending are disappointing.

No way this will be GOTY.
It was never supposed to be dark souls.
I actually very much enjoy that it was this light and explorative experience but it was a real game and not some small crap.
I don’t want the big games to be these overly difficult ventures always.

This felt like some nice chill ps2 game.
It also looked great and I loved the combat.

Maybe they will make more games that get darker like the movies

Nydius

People get pissy how the game does not punish you for using the curses. It is supposed to be like a sandbox.
I wouldn't say I'm pissy about it but I do think it's stupid there's zero consequence to using them. The game goes to great lengths to talk about the unforgivable curses but using them is only met with tepid disdain. The lack of any consequence also undermines any emotional connection the Sebastian relationship arc is trying to make. It's hard to care either way about his descent into darkness if I'm running around casting all of the unforgivables on every witch, wizard, goblin, spider, troll, and wolf in existence.

I wouldn't say I'm pissy about it but I do think it's stupid there's zero consequence to using them. The game goes to great lengths to talk about the unforgivable curses but using them is only met with tepid disdain. The lack of any consequence also undermines any emotional connection the Sebastian relationship arc is trying to make. It's hard to care either way about his descent into darkness if I'm running around casting all of the unforgivables on every witch, wizard, goblin, spider, troll, and wolf in existence.
You didn't have to learn the spells, y'know ;)

JeloSWE

Hi guys, could you perhaps help me vote on a bug that I have a hard time getting looked at.

Here is the issue: "Adjusting camera horizontally when flying on the broom has a VERY large deadzone making it impossible to make minor camera adjustments and it feels more like a digital control and only react once you push the stick left or right to around 80~90%. This behavior is completely different from flying a beast or when controlling the character on the ground. This makes flying feel very unpleasant and rigid."

If you can, please go over to wbgames bug reporting, my post is this one here and vote on the issue to it gets looked at. I think most people don't realize this is a not intended and is a bug making broom flight horribly unpleasant and difficult. https://hogwartslegacy.bugs.wbgames.com/bug/HL-8337

Here is a video showing the camera deadzone bug:

Last edited:
Top Bottom