• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy | Peformance Detailed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Some Players have already made comparassion videos of each platform on how they run:

hogwarts-legacy-wizard.jpg

What graphics modes are available for Hogwarts Legacy on PlayStation®5 and Xbox Series X|S?​

The PlayStation®5 and Xbox Series X|S console versions of Hogwarts Legacy support multiple graphical modes of play, the most common of which are Fidelity mode which targets 30 fps, and Performance mode which targets 60 fps.

Is Variable Refresh Rate Supported?​

Graphical modes for players who have Variable Refresh Rate (VRR)-supported TVs or monitors are supported for Hogwarts Legacy on PlayStation®5 and Xbox Series X|S.

• PS5 and Xbox X Series have 5 display modes.
  • The quality snot displays settings similar to High/Ultra on PC with an average resolution of 1800p at 30fps without ray-tracing.
  • Ray-tracing mode is applied on shadows and reflections (except water).
  • The PC version applies ray-tracing on the ambient occlusion of the character.
  • However, RT by generates too much noise on some surfaces on consoles and PC.
  • Ray-Tracing mode decreases drawing distance and texture quality on PS5 and Xbox Series X.
  • Xbox Series S does not have Ray-Tracing. In this version we can choose between 3 display modes that prioritize graphic quality, framerate or balanced (the latter only with 120Hz screens).
  • Shorter loading times on PS5.
  • Shadows in Quality (Fidelity) mode have a higher resolution on PS5 compared to Xbox Series X.
  • We can unlock the framerate on consoles (except Xbox Series S).
  • PS5 shows better performance in Ray-Tracing mode, but Xbox Series X framerate is higher in all other modes.
  • Quality mode increases texture quality, draw distance, shadows, vegetation and lighting on consoles. - All versions have stuttering problems inside the castle while advancing through the rooms. There will even be times when we get stuck in a doorway until the other room has finished loading.
  • Xbox Series S has a lower NPC density.
  • Balanced and Performance HFR modes can only be enabled on 120Hz compatible displays.
  • On PC, Ray-Tracing is too demanding for what it delivers. This is another case of a game whose traditional lighting system is the clear basis of development and Ray-Tracing is a superfluous improvement.

Quality Mode:
  • Resolution: 1800p common
  • Texture quality, draw distance, shadows, vegetation and lighting are improved
  • FPS Target: 30 FPS
  • Actual performance: Sticks pretty solidly to the cap, but you can unlock it and it can reach as high as into the 40s and 50s.
Balanced Mode:
  • Resolution: 1800p dynamic
  • FPS Target: 40 FPS
  • Actual performance: Sticks to the cap it seems mostly, if unlocked can go as high as 45-50 FPS at times
Ray-Tracing Mode:
  • Resolution: 1440p common
  • Shadows and reflections have ray tracing (excluding water) but this mode decreases draw distance and texture quality.
  • FPS Target: 30 FPS
  • Actual performance: Sticks to 30 fps, if unlocked can go to 35-40 FPS at times and even the high 40s depending on section.
Performance:
  • Resolution: 1440p common
  • FPS Target: 60 FPS target
  • Actual performance: Sticks to 60 fps, if unlocked it can go as high as 70 FPS in some areas inside the castle and mid 60s in the outdoor area around the castle.
Performance HFR:
  • Resolution: 1080p common
  • FPS Target: unlocked 120 FPS ceiling
  • Actual performance: Around 80 FPS on average overall. Outside areas are looking to be around 60-70 FPS, inside the castle is 100-110 FPS.
Notes:
  • These are only in the areas tested in this video, there could be areas later on in the game where performance could vary.
  • All versions have stuttering problems inside the castle while advancing through the rooms.
  • PS5 has the fastest load times of all platforms
  • Balanced and Performance HFR modes can only be enabled on 120Hz compatible displays.

Kuranghi

Thanks OP, was waiting for this.

I was hoping PS5 Quality/Non-RT mode would be native 4K, I wonder if I can run it above 30fps at native 4K, max(ish) settings on my 1080 instead :pie_thinking: I think not so prob just go with PS5 version to save hassle.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Ehh I’ll wait for someone other than fanboys on the internet. I prefer my fanboys in corporate form. 😎

Lol was getting this on pc. I hope it’s a decent port.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Where is the Switch Perfomance?
Switch and last-gen versions of the game were delayed until July. So we won't know really for another couple of months how well it runs or what sort of visual details were clipped to make it run at all.

They already confirmed Switch version is running native on the hardware

I legit wonder what sort of miracle port they will need to come up with to make it fit on the Switch

Fire Emblem Three Houses could barely hold 20fps in the keep at a jog. But it is Harry Potter so maybe they can just use magic.

I have a funny feeling the other versions are held off to avoid an immediate Cyberpunk shitshow.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Playing in balanced mode on OLED. Game looks stunning, HDR is amazing and legit feels so smooth. Also the input lag is really small, game feels responsive and no matter what mode you choose the menus are 60fps!

Is it a stable 40 in your experience ?

JeloSWE

As my TV can do BFI at 120hz or 100hz that's the fps I'll be aiming for on my 4090 + 13900k.

Last edited:
Playing in balanced mode on OLED. Game looks stunning, HDR is amazing and legit feels so smooth. Also the input lag is really small, game feels responsive and no matter what mode you choose the menus are 60fps!
Nice! What system? And is the stutter apparent as noted in the OP?

Topher

Gold Member
Igns review says it has some performance issues on ps5 ..

Sounds like that is the only version they had.

"That immersion can occasionally be broken by Legacy’s dicey performance, though, which suffered from just about every issue that makes IGN’s performance review team cry during my time playing on PlayStation 5. Those greatest hits include framerate inconsistency, weird issues where the lighting switches from too dark to too bright, aggressive pop-in while moving around the map quickly, and more. There’s even this weird thing where every door in Hogwarts has a brief loading screen. It’s understandable since there’s so much packed into this beast of an adventure, but the PS5’s promises of the death of loading screens haven’t quite been lived up to here as it’s clearly struggling to keep up with the spellcraft and whimsy of the Wizarding World."

Hopefully if this is the case on other versions, they all get fixed with day one patch.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Performance mode on the PS5 looks great. The voice acting is impressive so far. I am not even twenty minutes in yet and have seena few graphical bugs though - like characters or creatures apparently missing.

SRTtoZ

I would HIGHLY recommend keeping Quality mode framerate capped. I uncapped it and the stuttering feels bad. It's not that it doesn't stick to 30, it does, but it varies between 30-40 and is slighly below most VRR ranges. Balanced feels GREAT uncapped and looks fantastic. Quality has that pin sharp 4k look but cap it if you want to play that way and it feels 10x better. Balanced also has a much better feel when it comes to latency. They did a great job giving you so many visual options here. The only time you see this is usually Sony first party. Good shit devs.

SRTtoZ

I HATE the HDR calibration menu in this game. It gives you a bunch of numbers to tune but it doesn't really show you what the fuck you're adjusting.

Also, Balanced mode on a 120hz OLED feels fucking amazing. It really feels much better than 30 but also gives you that perfect image quality.

Last edited:
I HATE the HDR calibration in this game. It gives you a bunch of numbers to tune but it doesn't really show you what the fuck you're adjusting.

Also, Balanced mode on a 120hz OLED feels fucking amazing. It really feels much better than 30 but also gives you that perfect image quality.

Does this game have true HDR?

SRTtoZ

Does this game have true HDR?
I think so. It even tells you to disable dynamic tone mapping and enable HGIG which I did. It has 4 options for tuning. White point, black point, UI brightness and HDR brightness. It only shows you some basic images and tells you to tune it so its not clipping or losing details in the shadows but even if I turn down the brightness to 20 the shadows end up looking too bright unless that's a design decision. I wish they gave you one of those tools that tells you to turn this up or down until you can no longer see a certain emblem or whatever. I just have no idea what I'm actually tuning and the values are all over the place. Black point default is .008 and goes all the way up to 1 lol. Like how the heck am I supposed to know where to put that? White point goes from 0 to 6000. You have to be the dude from HDTVTest to calibrate this lol. I guess the best thing to do is leave everything at default and just turn up the UI brightness since that's the only thing I really notice looking too dark. *shrug*.

Last edited:
I HATE the HDR calibration menu in this game. It gives you a bunch of numbers to tune but it doesn't really show you what the fuck you're adjusting.

How are you playing so early?

SRTtoZ

Yeah performance looks much worse in videos.
Rt also looks worse than cubemaps and ssr in other modes.
Quality or balanced it is
100%. RT mode isn't worth it at all. The reflections are so low res. Quality looks the best but of course it's 30 fps. Balanced mode is SLIGHTLY softer than quality but damn it still looks great and feels much more responsive/smooth. Of course, the downside being that you need a 120htz display for balance mode. I actually really like this new 40fps trend. I tend to play my games at the highest visual fidelity and then I end up going with performance on my next run or while I'm cleaning up the map trying to platinum.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I tested out Fidelity with Raytracing, PS5. It does look awesome, but I can't deal with this framerate.

Balanced has been really nice. Having some texture pop ins but feels good on a CX OLED. Probably stick with that the whole game.

RPS37

I think so. It even tells you to disable dynamic tone mapping and enable HGIG which I did. It has 4 options for tuning. White point, black point, UI brightness and HDR brightness. It only shows you some basic images and tells you to tune it so its not clipping or losing details in the shadows but even if I turn down the brightness to 20 the shadows end up looking too bright unless that's a design decision. I wish they gave you one of those tools that tells you to turn this up or down until you can no longer see a certain emblem or whatever. I just have no idea what I'm actually tuning and the values are all over the place. Black point default is .008 and goes all the way up to 1 lol. Like how the heck am I supposed to know where to put that? White point goes from 0 to 6000. You have to be the dude from HDTVTest to calibrate this lol. I guess the best thing to do is leave everything at default and just turn up the UI brightness since that's the only thing I really notice looking too dark. *shrug*.
I don’t want sound like a filthy casual, but I don’t do getting in deep with tv settings anymore.
i don’t even know where to find those settings because they’re not in the main options menus.

100%. RT mode isn't worth it at all. The reflections are so low res. Quality looks the best but of course it's 30 fps. Balanced mode is SLIGHTLY softer than quality but damn it still looks great and feels much more responsive/smooth. Of course, the downside being that you need a 120htz display for balance mode. I actually really like this new 40fps trend. I tend to play my games at the highest visual fidelity and then I end up going with performance on my next run or while I'm cleaning up the map trying to platinum.
If it's mostly consistent at 40fps I'm in.

rofif

Banned
You usually should not touch the brightness unless you want to alter gamma.
White point and black point are rather self explanatory. Good that there is UI brightness

Mephisto40

Switch and last-gen versions of the game were delayed until July. So we won't know really for another couple of months how well it runs or what sort of visual details were clipped to make it run at all.
The switch version is just going to be a streaming version, it won't play natively

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom