• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy | Review Thread

Eotheod

only in bizarro world is saying 'men are men, women are women' & 'men and women cannot change their sex' controversial statements. i mean, just this past week, there were people suggesting that aretha franklin's 'natural woman' & fred rogers' 'boys are boys and girls are girls' were controversial...
That's actually a false statement. Gender is a social construct, biological sex is a defined species construct. One is flexible, the other is not.

https://embryo.asu.edu/pages/biological-sex-and-gender-united-states-0 is an incredibly good overview of the gender discussions, and why it is important to allow gender fluidity. Society is not stuck in one gear or defined by one particular, otherwise we'd still be in the stone age.

Rowling is a shit heel of a person, but not because of the shit ResetEra is triggered on, but the actual sentiment she has to anyone trying to outline these gender/biological differences. I've got good friends who are trans who are incredibly eager to play Hogwarts, but also understand what Rowling is driving in the UK with her propaganda. She isn't even for women in some forms, and is really just all about her fame/minute in the news cycle.

Honestly, who the fuck cares what people align to? I know many here don't, so why spend longer than a single minute in giving the energy and time to people who will never be placated? Just live life without generalising and marginalising specifics when they really don't interrupt or stop your daily life. And by gosh play this fucking game because what are the chances of this coming around again that isn't Ubisoft RPG tainted?

I work from home but we are on Microsoft Teams so unless my mouse moves enough, I won't show online.

Time to invest in a office fan....

7Qd4Ny.gif
I used to do something similar and saw that there are mouse jigglers to keep your computer from getting sleepy. Anti-work has created a whole new industry lol

Hawk269

Just put in about 4 hours into the game on Series X and it has been fantastic. Don't shy away from the Fidelity/30fps mode. It is pretty smooth and in this type of game you don't really need 60fps. Of course 60fps mode would be smoother no doubt, but the 30fps/Fidelity mode is pretty good and the game looks gorgeous.

Game has really high production values and has been a while since I have played a game 4 hours straight. Highly impressed so far.

Just put in about 4 hours into the game on Series X and it has been fantastic. Don't shy away from the Fidelity/30fps mode. It is pretty smooth and in this type of game you don't really need 60fps. Of course 60fps mode would be smoother no doubt, but the 30fps/Fidelity mode is pretty good and the game looks gorgeous.

How sharp does it look in 4K? Is it a big difference?

Some games, it's minor (Horizon FW after the patch), but others the difference is enormous (TLOU Part 1 or Ratchet). I just can't go back to 1440p when Native 4K looks so much crisper if the game isn't fast twitch based. I am totally fine with smooth 30 for that increased crispness.

Oh Lord, we got one in here. Someone did a number on you and dragged you down a rabbit hole.

It's actually great that people of different opinions can frequent the same online space though.
i believe gender is a social construct now. I think a lot of the confusion people have is linguistically gender and biological sex have meant the same thing for years - and now the definition of gender is changing - which is ultimately a good thing I think.

Baki

Looks pretty average, nothing mind blowing here. Is this the PS5 version? Got the PC version ready for tomorrow (10 AM PST). However, I don't expect it to look much better than what you're showing above.
Art style is nice, graphics are meh, but I’m cutting them slack because it’s cross gen, including a Switch release.

Hawk269

How sharp does it look in 4K? Is it a big difference?

Some games, it's minor (Horizon FW after the patch), but others the difference is enormous (TLOU Part 1 or Ratchet). I just can't go back to 1440p when Native 4K looks so much crisper if the game isn't fast twitch based. I am totally fine with smooth 30 for that increased crispness.
It looks pretty sharp in the Fidelity mode. Going back and forth I can see how cleaner it looks in fidelity mode. I tend to be a FPS snob, but in this game the 30fps mode is pretty good. I did turn off Vignette, DOF, Chromatic aberration and one other thing. In the menu it says it does have an impact in GPU performance, even though it is the console version. So not sure if this is helping things. But overall game looks very sharp and pretty clean in Fidelity/30fps mode.

Oh Lord, we got one in here. Someone did a number on you and dragged you down a rabbit hole.

It's actually great that people of different opinions can frequent the same online space though.
Gender is 100% a social construct, though. Do you see female dogs wearing skirts and making sandwiches for male dogs? No? Then it points to reason that the gender roles we created are not universally tied to animals’ respective reproductive organs.

Everyone gets confused with gender and sex and thinks they are the same thing, and they’re not. Which is actually what Rowling is trying to point out most of the time (and doing a pretty bad job of it).

But back on topic— game unlocks is 24 mins. I’m ready! 😅

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Same. A properly tuned 30 fps game is very playable even on OLEDs which have instant pixel refresh which supposedly makes it look juddier than LEDs. Played Ratchet, Horizon FW and Miles in 30 fps and as long as you dont switch between the two, it's fine.

I then switch to 60 fps for hard mode trophies and other combat challenges on NG+.

Last edited:
Just at the beginning, it’s good, very detailed - the menus and stuff feel like A LOT tho do they not? I dunno I’m finding them confusing at this early stage

Spokker

Playing on Fidelity mode on Series X and they let you uncap the frame rate indepdently of the mode chosen. I'm testing it now in a large room within the castle and it looks to be running around 50-55fps. Outdoors it's anywhere from 40-45. VRR takes care of the rest.

Ray tracing mode is not worth it for the hit you take in texture quality and draw distance. I'm getting some Assassin's Creed Unity vibes with how detailed the architecture is. The higher texture quality brings it out more. There's a sidequest where you find mirrors that reveal something nearby you have to find, which gives you an excuse to walk around and admire the fine details.

There's stuttering though, which I think is related to streaming in new assets.

Last edited:

Eotheod

I'm not sure what you are actually trying to go at me for here? Gender is literally a social construct, as backed up by countless scientific studies and research. Biological sex is what defines us as male or female, because those are literally chromosomes and are unable to be altered. To be close minded on that is to quite honestly be ignorant of science.

Hawk269

Playing on Fidelity mode on Series X and they let you uncap the frame rate indepdently of the mode chosen. I'm testing it now in a large room within the castle and it looks to be running around 50-55fps. Outdoors it's anywhere from 40-45. VRR takes care of the rest.

Ray tracing mode is not worth it for the hit you take in texture quality and draw distance. I'm getting some Assassin's Creed Unity vibes with how detailed the architecture is. The highest texture quality brings it out more. There's a sidequest where you find mirrors that reveal something nearby you have to find, which gives you an excuse to walk around and admire the fine details.

There's stuttering though, which I think is related to streaming in new assets.
I saw that option but did not mess with it too much. I did try it and it felt a little more unstable but it was a really quick check and need to give it another try. I know a lot of people jump to the 60fps mode, but I highly suggest giving the 30fps mode a chance. Game is not a twitch type of game, so 30fps is more than fine.

BeardGawd

Banned
I'm not sure what you are actually trying to go at me for here? Gender is literally a social construct, as backed up by countless scientific studies and research. Biological sex is what defines us as male or female, because those are literally chromosomes and are unable to be altered. To be close minded on that is to quite honestly be ignorant of science.
A woman and female have always been the same thing.

A woman is just a human female. Males and females are the basics of mammals. Pretty simple stuff.

Science is a social construct.

In other news, I was able to find a copy of the deluxe edition in town, cant wait for this.

Last edited:

DareDaniel

Banned

There are only 2 genders, everything else is a mental illness.

Eotheod

A woman and female have always been the same thing.

A woman is just a human female. Males and females are the basics of mammals. Pretty simple stuff.

There are only 2 genders, everything else is a mental illness.
I know reading is hard on GAF, but seriously actually read my post. Literally outlining that sex is coded, and if you have male chromosomes you are male and likewise for female. Gender however is entirely a social descriptor that actually has no effect on biological makeup, just purely allows people to express how they want to be. No reason to deny those people the chance to express themselves, much like no reason to deny people who think CoD is a good series.
Science is a social construct.

In other news, I was able to find a copy of the deluxe edition in town, cant wait for this.
Technically yes, but also no because it's a literal translation of everything and anything. Whereas social constructs are not, because you don't need them to "live" but they are how society defines themselves to what they see as sufficient for a task or expected behaviour.

Anyway, that enough of me sperging on science. Preload is going on my steam copy, when's the actual release for Australia? Though I need to finish Gotham Knights before I go anywhere near HL, which might help me pstch-wise for any obscure PC issues.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

stop trying to spread mental illness

samoilaaa

I know reading is hard on GAF, but seriously actually read my post. Literally outlining that sex is coded, and if you have male chromosomes you are male and likewise for female. Gender however is entirely a social descriptor that actually has no effect on biological makeup, just purely allows people to express how they want to be. No reason to deny those people the chance to express themselves, much like no reason to deny people who think CoD is a good series.

Technically yes, but also no because it's a literal translation of everything and anything. Whereas social constructs are not, because you don't need them to "live" but they are how society defines themselves to what they see as sufficient for a task or expected behaviour.

Anyway, that enough of me sperging on science. Preload is going on my steam copy, when's the actual release for Australia? Though I need to finish Gotham Knights before I go anywhere near HL, which might help me pstch-wise for any obscure PC issues.
well its not just expressing isnt it ? this isnt just about behaviour anymore , its about dudes using the same shower area with women ( even minor girls , which can scarr them for life ) , men entering woman sports and stealing their medals , men not participating in war because they think they are women and many more examples

BeardGawd

Banned
You're not getting it. A WOMAN is a HUMAN FEMALE. Just like a Hen is a female chicken and a Rooster is a male chicken.

What you are describing is masculine vs Feminine. You can be a feminine man\male or a masculine woman\female. Literally noone cares about this. Male rockstars have been wearing makeup and dresses for ages now. Tom boys and masculine women have always been around.

But just because someone is feminine and has surgery does not make them a woman. That makes them a Transwoman. Which is not a bad thing but there has to be differentiation.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Looks washed out to me.

The game looks good but so many other games look like they have better lighting. TLOU nails lighting in these types of low light environments a lot better IMHO
yeah, that particular screenshot has some very PS3 quality lighting. outdoors the game looks PS4 quality.

Here is AC Unity from 2014:

16012457932_c9b628886c_o.jpg

15618632590_89512d132e_o.png

6PL5sXH.jpg

18rmfGn.jpg

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
When is the OT going up? I am in game now. Cannot connect to the WB Games services, so I can't claim all of my rewards, but I got most of them (including the important stuff like the quest).

LordCBH

About an hour in. Games damn fun. Combat feels really fluid and I can’t wait to unlock more spells to use. Games really pretty, and the music is fucking great. Probably could’ve unlocked some of those spells but I got distracted by exploration.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Rowling is a shit heel of a person, but not because of the shit ResetEra is triggered on, but the actual sentiment she has to anyone trying to outline these gender/biological differences. I've got good friends who are trans who are incredibly eager to play Hogwarts, but also understand what Rowling is driving in the UK with her propaganda.

I'm honestly asking for someone - anyone - to point me in the direction of anything JK Rowling has said that is transphobic. Seriously... copy and paste a link for me. Do a screen grab. Anything. Show me where she has stated that she hates trans people, or that trans people don't deserve the same respect as the rest of us. Give me an example of her clearly and obviously saying something that promotes hateful attitudes towards trans people.

Unrivaled18

Neo Member
The JK Rowling thread is locked temporarily now on RE, and the comment is ANY mention of Harry Potter whether good or bad is an auto 1 month ban.

Lmao full on meltdown and dictatorship on that site.

"We're locking this thread one more time for another cooldown period overnight.

To reiterate once more, discussion of Hogwarts Legacy is fully banned on ResetEra, regardless of whether or not you bought it, and regardless of how you feel about about the property in question. This decision was made to A.) provide a safe space to the trans community so as not to deal with trolling and harassment over a video game based upon an IP created by a bigot, and B.) to rebuke said bigot's continuous spearheading of transphobic oppression in real life. Skirting around this rule by posting reviews, thinkpieces, and reactions about the game, even when done in good faith, is non-negotiable.

When this topic is reopened, any and every member will be subjected to an immediate month's-long ban on sight for any mention of the game. No exceptions"

Last edited:

RafterXL

Forget Rowling, forget the controversy, this game fucking rocks!

I'm blown away. PS5 on fidelity mode is easily one of the best looking games on the system. The opening is just jawdropping and I feel like a kid on Christmas morning. Here's the kicker, I've never even watched a HP movie or read ANY of the books and it still pulled me in. This game only entered my radar because of the last few days of bickering, but after watching gameplay on Twitch and reading some reviews I took the chance and I'm glad I did.

Top Bottom