• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy | Review Thread

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I know reading is hard on GAF, but seriously actually read my post. Literally outlining that sex is coded, and if you have male chromosomes you are male and likewise for female. Gender however is entirely a social descriptor that actually has no effect on biological makeup, just purely allows people to express how they want to be. No reason to deny those people the chance to express themselves, much like no reason to deny people who think CoD is a good series.

Technically yes, but also no because it's a literal translation of everything and anything. Whereas social constructs are not, because you don't need them to "live" but they are how society defines themselves to what they see as sufficient for a task or expected behaviour.

Anyway, that enough of me sperging on science. Preload is going on my steam copy, when's the actual release for Australia? Though I need to finish Gotham Knights before I go anywhere near HL, which might help me pstch-wise for any obscure PC issues.
Not everyone agrees with this. I've done a deep dive on it, and the best description I got is sex is the "hardware" and gender is the "software." But there is an evolutionary and biological component to both. And there are tendencies unique to men and women that don't have anything to do with a social construct.

For example, women are generally more agreeable than men. Men are more aggressive. Women are more sensitive and compassionate. Women have higher standard than men in searching for a mate. People will argue things like how men and women dress, their hobbies/activities are things that they just do because "that's how society trained us to behave" but that really isn't the case. Most of it can be traced back to biological and evolutionary growth.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Forget Rowling, forget the controversy, this game fucking rocks!

I'm blown away. PS5 on fidelity mode is easily one of the best looking games on the system. The opening is just jawdropping and I feel like a kid on Christmas morning. Here's the kicker, I've never even watched a HP movie or read ANY of the books and it still pulled me in. This game only entered my radar because of the last few days of bickering, but after watching gameplay on Twitch and reading some reviews I took the chance and I'm glad I did.

I was not expecting the game to look this good. When you walk out of the cave and the world opens up - wow. I can't wait to see the town.

It's addictive zapping stuff with your wand. Sounds so cool with the DualSense.

Last edited:

Alex11

yeah, that particular screenshot has some very PS3 quality lighting. outdoors the game looks PS4 quality.

Here is AC Unity from 2014:

16012457932_c9b628886c_o.jpg

15618632590_89512d132e_o.png

6PL5sXH.jpg

18rmfGn.jpg
Jesus, is this modded or something? It looks amazing and better than a whole lot of new games.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Jesus, is this modded or something? It looks amazing and better than a whole lot of new games.
nope. AC Unity really looked that good. It was overlooked because it was a victim of early outrage culture and bandwagon hating because its cool to shit on buggy games. The game was fixed within a week or two, but those faceless memes pretty much sealed the fate of this game from day one.

In terms of gameplay and story, its better than every AC game released since. Paris is also a very cool setting and they do a great job with the puzzles to help you learn about the history of each building and neighborhood.

yeah, that particular screenshot has some very PS3 quality lighting. outdoors the game looks PS4 quality.

6PL5sXH.jpg

18rmfGn.jpg
This looks better than half of the shit released this gen tho imo

Correction: I actually can’t think of a game that looks actively better than this

Last edited:
nope. AC Unity really looked that good. It was overlooked because it was a victim of early outrage culture and bandwagon hating because its cool to shit on buggy games. The game was fixed within a week or two, but those faceless memes pretty much sealed the fate of this game from day one.

In terms of gameplay and story, its better than every AC game released since. Paris is also a very cool setting and they do a great job with the puzzles to help you learn about the history of each building and neighborhood.

The Framerate was really bad early on

It looks amazing now especially on current gen consoles

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The Framerate was really bad early on

It looks amazing now especially on current gen consoles
How long did it take to fix the framerate? i played on the pro so it was a locked 30 fps there.

whats crazy is that the game never got a Pro patch or a next gen patch, and it ran at 900p on both x1 and ps4 at launch. Still does, and yet it looks amazing.

AtomAtom

Banned
Saw few more reviews on pc and is horrible insane amount of stutters, fps drops, people with 3080 dlss performance mode, rt off, at 4k get as low as 30 fps and when it hits 60,fps+ it's full of stutters

How long did it take to fix the framerate? i played on the pro so it was a locked 30 fps there.

whats crazy is that the game never got a Pro patch or a next gen patch, and it ran at 900p on both x1 and ps4 at launch. Still does, and yet it looks amazing.

I think on base ps4 it was never adequately fixed and even worse on the Xbox one

Kind of a game that was well before it’s time and made for pro console level power

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Oh I am getting sorted. I feel like a little kid. This is so cool.

Edit: oh hell no, the hat tried to put me in Ravenclaw. Hufflepuff for life cuz, buck buck

Edit 2: wow Hogwart's looks amazing. No wonder this game took so long to make, they poured a huge amount of attention to detail. This game has been nothing but awesome so far.

Last edited:
That's actually a false statement. Gender is a social construct, biological sex is a defined species construct. One is flexible, the other is not.

https://embryo.asu.edu/pages/biological-sex-and-gender-united-states-0 is an incredibly good overview of the gender discussions, and why it is important to allow gender fluidity. Society is not stuck in one gear or defined by one particular, otherwise we'd still be in the stone age...
society changes, language changes. but facts don't...

facts aren't 'stuck in one gear or defined by one particular'. facts are simply facts. 1+1=2, & the sun rising in the east & setting in the west, were as true in the stone age as they are now. what you & others now refer to as gender identity/fluidity (terminology coined by a psychologist in the '60's), had been recognized & referred to previously (& still is, by many of us) as masculinity/femininity, & neither has anything to do with altering the fact that, biologically, men are men, & women are women...

Last edited:
Do people only care about this game to spite RE? I mean who gives a fuck about RE? They're nobodies, why the obsession? I mean why are some of you even going over into their threads to see what they're doing? It's like someone has fallen into a pool of shit, and you decide to step into it to get a closer look.

Who's played long enough to give me some idea about the side quest quality in this game? I heard they're all fetch quests and such. Is that true? Are are side stories of some sort at least?

6PL5sXH.jpg

18rmfGn.jpg
I remember seeing these exact screenshots and thinking (even back then) that they were Ubi bullshots. No way the game looked that good. But it did, maybe even better in motion.

It goes to show how little progress we've made in graphics, this was a launch window game. The tech has certainly advanced but the manpower, time, and talent required to push the fidelity far beyond this just doesn't come easy anymore. Maybe like everything else, AI will help things along...

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Man, I can already tell I am going to be wandering around casting Revelio on everything and neglecting my classes.

Edit: I decided to attend the Charms class first. This is like something straight out of the movies. People, this game is so good. So glad I paid for the deluxe edition to get in early. Goodbye every other game I was working on finishing, I can tell I won't be playing anything else for a long time to come.

Last edited:

sugarman

Haven’t done any fighting yet but fidelity mode with cap frame rate off seems to be the way to go on Series X. Looks great.

Knightime_X

Is there 2 versions of this game?
Wife downloaded the game right away and....
it kinda looks shitty like as if she downloaded the ps4 version.
By just looking at the scarf it looks like ps3 quality.

Last edited:
As a guilty pleasure, aaaallll you guys should watch kinda funny's hl reviews round up show.

They are so bitter they didnt get a review code.

They assume it was because they are vocal about trans rights. No guys, its because you have been talking shit about the game for a whole year.

They say the game got high scores because it was reviewed by fanboys.

It is so satisfying to see them struggle with the stich up their asses.
Fuck around, found out they aint shit.
Kinda Funny

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Yes, if you bought the deluxe you have access to both versions of the game. If it looks like ass it's probably the PS4 version - because I am on PS5 and even in performance mode it's really good.

Unrivaled18

Neo Member
There is fidelity mode or performance mode.

If you choose performance the graphics get downgraded significantly for framerate

RafterXL

Oh I am getting sorted. I feel like a little kid. This is so cool.

Edit: oh hell no, the hat tried to put me in Ravenclaw. Hufflepuff for life cuz, buck buck

Edit 2: wow Hogwart's looks amazing. No wonder this game took so long to make, they poured a huge amount of attention to detail. This game has been nothing but awesome so far.
The detail in Hogwarts is just amazing. I spent like 10 minutes in the bathroom just admiring the view, it's ridiculous. The hallways with the moving paintings are cool, too. Overall the game just oozes style.

The hat also put me in Ravenclaw and I kept it because they're all the same to me...lol.

xiskza

I'm not sure what you are actually trying to go at me for here? Gender is literally a social construct, as backed up by countless scientific studies and research. Biological sex is what defines us as male or female, because those are literally chromosomes and are unable to be altered. To be close minded on that is to quite honestly be ignorant of science.

No its not. Gender identity is absolutely driven by biology. Dont confuse gender identity with gender expression (like clothes). Scientists and sexologists that arent driven by ideology or forced to be quiet about it, know this.

Also who cares what an asinine term like "gender" which was invented by a pedo sympathizer? It should hold no value over biological sex, and these TRA's are desperately trying to destroy both.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

The JK Rowling thread is locked temporarily now on RE, and the comment is ANY mention of Harry Potter whether good or bad is an auto 1 month ban.

Lmao full on meltdown and dictatorship on that site.

"We're locking this thread one more time for another cooldown period overnight.

To reiterate once more, discussion of Hogwarts Legacy is fully banned on ResetEra, regardless of whether or not you bought it, and regardless of how you feel about about the property in question. This decision was made to A.) provide a safe space to the trans community so as not to deal with trolling and harassment over a video game based upon an IP created by a bigot, and B.) to rebuke said bigot's continuous spearheading of transphobic oppression in real life. Skirting around this rule by posting reviews, thinkpieces, and reactions about the game, even when done in good faith, is non-negotiable.

When this topic is reopened, any and every member will be subjected to an immediate month's-long ban on sight for any mention of the game. No exceptions"
a good example of where bigotry at its finest.

Fools idol

Banned
society changes, language changes. but facts don't...

facts aren't 'stuck in one gear or defined by one particular'. facts are simply facts. 1+1=2, & the sun rising in the east & setting in the west, were as true in the stone age as they are now. what you & others now refer to as gender identity/fluidity (terminology coined by a psychologist in the '60's), had been recognized & referred to previously (& still is, by many of us) as masculinity/femininity, & neither has anything to do with altering the fact that, biologically, men are men, & women are women...

why do you give a shit lmao

someone can identify as a fuckin unicorn for all I care, makes no difference to me or my life. Just move on. Why we have to have this shit every single thread lately is bizarre

Emedan

Man I gotta whore my wife out or something (not really), I need this game. Looked at like 2,5 hours of a Let's Play and it just seems fantastic.

hemo memo

Gold Member
why do you give a shit lmao

someone can identify as a fuckin unicorn for all I care, makes no difference to me or my life. Just move on. Why we have to have this shit every single thread lately is bizarre
Well, It make a difference to me. As I can just identify as a 70 years old to skip lines and identify as a handicap to park in handicap space. Switch it on and off as I go along.

Surfheart

Would love to see a remaster of it, I really should play it again. How is it on the new consoles now?

Jadsey

can't wait for this game to come out, so I can stop reading insane posts like this one from that site :LOL:

People can deflect with semantics or pretentious debate tactics all day long, but it's just not that difficult. Rowling is one of the most dangerous people on the planet, but fans have to have their cheap high of nostalgia for a time when things were easier - at the expense of people who have never had it easy just walking down the fucking street.

Two guys celebrating the news that that the author of a book about child wizards has stolen their mantle:

rtc1D1k.jpg

Last edited:

samoilaaa

Well, It make a difference to me. As I can just identify as a 70 years old to skip lines and identify as a handicap to park in handicap space. Switch it on and off as I go along.
you just cant talk common sense with these kind of people , they live in their fairytale world where if you believe something then its real , i sometimes feel like i just dont belong in this world anymore , thats why i dont even want to have kids , if the world is fucked now imagine after another 15-20 years , i dont want my kinds to live in this kind of world , especially if i would have a daughter

imagine you have a 16 year old daughter and she goes to the shower after a workout and in the shower area there is a 6 feet+ dude with a big dick hanging but hey , its ok because he says hes a woman

Last edited:

Jadsey

I'm not sure what you are actually trying to go at me for here? Gender is literally a social construct, as backed up by countless scientific studies and research. Biological sex is what defines us as male or female, because those are literally chromosomes and are unable to be altered. To be close minded on that is to quite honestly be ignorant of science.

Here's the good news...on GAF you allowed to express your views without getting banned.

In fact, get your mind around this, you're actually allowed to have a range a views about a variety of subjects.

Interesting huh?

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
you just cant talk common sense with these kind of people , they live in their fairytale world where if you believe something then its real , i sometimes feel like i just dont belong in this world anymore , thats why i dont even want to have kids , if the world is fucked now imagine after another 15-20 years , i dont want my kinds to live in this kind of world , especially if i would have a daughter

imagine you have a 16 year old daughter and she goes to the shower after a workout and in the shower area there is a 6 feet+ dude with a big dick hanging but hey , its ok because he says hes a woman
:messenger_tears_of_joy: Why does the size of the dick matter?

Top Bottom