• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy | Review Thread

Adam_802

Glad to see DF covering it. Was always sus for them to not mention the biggest game currently. It'd be like if they just ignored elden ring when it came out.

Unrivaled18

Neo Member
I started playing it today and played around the first 6 hours.

So far I give the game a 9.5 out of 10. It's everything I wanted out of a Harry Potter game and really I haven't gotten into the meat of the game as I have been doing a lot of side quests.

I'll deduct it .5 because it had a glitch once where everyone of the characters got demon eyes where I had to save and reboot the app. But just a minor issue that was fixed fast.

I love exploring Hogwarts and I will say it does cater to the LBGT and transgender community with some of the characters. It made sure to be very inclusive. Too bad some of those people will never give it a chance.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Still unprofessional to ignore a game since some imaginary reason, but ok that's what gaming sites are i guess.
It's strange. I bet they cover tons of games they didn't get code for... and before release often.
Here, the game released on wednesday. Not friday. If they wanted, they would've analysis done already

4:50 "and Harry tried futile to hide his erection" .... I cracekd up. I remember watching this back in the day and never playing the games.
RIP man. rip. Even Vinny is fun with Ryan there.

If you didn't know, that line (and many others) are a nod to Brad Neely's hilarious "Wizard People, Dear Readers", a dubbed over narration of the first movie. It's all up on YouTube if you're interested.

Yeah it's like a Chinese soup, this shit contains anything that lives. A bit too much at points, but hey I can deal.

Haha, yeah. A Scottish boarding school in the 1800's has on staff a Korean, an Indian, a Japanese, a Chinese, a middle easterner, and a Ugandan. Funny because a 100 years later, it's just a bunch of white British people.

Bartski

Gold Member

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

phil_t98

#SonyToo
One thing I am disappointed with is how short the actual main story is. I have done 37% of the game and I am on the final boss. Yes loads more to do but 37% and I could of finished the story is mad.

The game is a 10/10 for me though that gripe aside

ShadowNate

Sorry, can you clarify what you think the shitty behavior is in this situation.

Because if you can, I want to read how that sentence will turn out for you.

Honestly a billionaire throwing legal threats around because of twitter words is weak as fuck. Why are we all overlooking shitty behaviour because of politics?
One of the biggest failures of political discourse today is the implication that the richer you are, the fewer rights you should have. AKA "Eat the Rich". None of the people currently preaching this philosophy know any history. Class warfare usually works out the worst for the lower classes in all of recorded history.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
And how this game?

If you're a HP fan you've no choice but to play. For everyone else. . . it's ok. Stories and vice direction are far better than they have any right to be and the world is incredible.

. . . that said it is a big standard open world. Hopefully with the games success they try to do something more imaginative next game (there's a ton of game systems that are just absent here they would have made the game far more immersive).

If you're a HP fan you've no choice but to play. For everyone else. . . it's ok. Stories and vice direction are far better than they have any right to be and the world is incredible.

. . . that said it is a big standard open world. Hopefully with the games success they try to do something more imaginative next game (there's a ton of game systems that are just absent here they would have made the game far more immersive).
Which language are you playing this game in? Because the german voice acting seems really underwhelming?

I beg to differ about the stories. Aside from the combat which is kinda better then expected. (Once you have enough spells and know how to use and combine them)

The game doesn't offer much Lore, the lore thats in there is neglectable, the dialogues and side missions are completly underwhelming and lame.
And those that invented/wrote and scripted the "puzzle quests" (including the merlin ones) should go back to kindergarden because these they are so fucking obvious and easy its pure cringe seeing them referred to as Riddles by the npcs/lore of the game.

Sure exploring hogwarts is nice. But aside from that the game seriously lacks in many areas.

And before you ask, I've read all the books and watched the movies and liked the lore of HP. But this game isna huge letdown.

Last edited:

Yoboman

One of the biggest failures of political discourse today is the implication that the richer you are, the fewer rights you should have. AKA "Eat the Rich". None of the people currently preaching this philosophy know any history. Class warfare usually works out the worst for the lower classes in all of recorded history.
She has way more rights than random twitter user wdym? As shown by her being able to wave around the legal threats against his free speech, no matter how much you disagree with it

She didn't threaten to sue him over nothing. He's has been defaming her with baseless accusations.
If it takes legal action to make him behave like a grown up, then so be it.
And let's say George Soros decided to start legal proceedings against every baseless conspiracy he is accused of?

Sorry but people should be allowed to same dumb shit online without some rich overlord crushing them

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
She has way more rights than random twitter user wdym? As shown by her being able to wave around the legal threats against his free speech, no matter how much you disagree with it

And let's say George Soros decided to start legal proceedings against every baseless conspiracy he is accused of?

Sorry but people should be allowed to same dumb shit online without some rich overlord crushing them

Free speech does not equal free of consequences

RafterXL

Wrong.

First off, libel and slander aren't "free speech". Making allegations and lying in order to hurt a reputation or harm their business is illegal. The fact that she has enough money to go after people who do this isn't a problem.

Frankly, more people should sue the fuck out of these idiots when they blatantly lie and distort the truth to try and destroy people online. Maybe the internet would be a better place if these people were actually held accountable for their lies. Isn't that their motto anyway? "Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from accountability"?

And, yes, even George Soros or Donald Trump or any other shithead deserves to be free from people using lies to try and harm them.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Which language are you playing this game in? Because the german voice acting seems really underwhelming?

Take a guess.

I beg to differ about the stories.

Well this is the internet - that is your right.

Aside from the combat which is kinda better then expected. (Once you have enough spells and know how to use and combine them)

The game doesn't offer much Lore, the lore thats in there is neglectable, the dialogues and side missions are completly underwhelming and lame.
And those that invented/wrote and scripted the "puzzle quests" (including the merlin ones) should go back to kindergarden because these they are so fucking obvious and easy its pure cringe seeing them referred to as Riddles by the npcs/lore of the game.

Sure exploring hogwarts is nice. But aside from that the game seriously lacks in many areas.

As someone coming from nearly zero awareness of "the Wizarding World" I wouldn't say the game "doesn't offer much lore" in the slightest. There is lore all over the place (it is literally a gameplay element). Is all of it high fallutin and impenetrable like a Dark Souls? No. Because of course it isn't. It's lore from a children's book placed into a children's game. This also extends to everything else: this is a kids game. You are not meant to be stymied in this game, you are supposed to succeed. The "Divine Beasts" dungeons are about as puzzling as you're gonna get, but even those are fool proof as the MC constantly reminds you what you should be doing. Anyone honestly critiquing the game knows this and isn't trying to enforce N++ level difficulty as a core piece of the gameplay.

. . .and not for nothing, but you haven't really disagreed with what I said (particularly for someone who isn't a great fan of the IP).

And before you ask

I wasn't.

I've read all the books and watched the movies and liked the lore of HP. But this game isna huge letdown.

I'd say then, you're probably the atypical HP fan in regards to response to this game. Not at all improbable, but also doesn't take away from my original comment (in general): "If you're a HP fan you've (probably) no choice but to play."

Foilz

Banned
I absolutely love the game but my god is there so many glitches. Quests not finishing, objects getting stuck in things, npcs turning retarded. I was trying to find rocco co or whatever it's name was and the boxes you need to open the door were floating in the air. It took me like 20 min to get the box new the floor to open the door

Astral Dog

Suddendly cancel culture is wrong when it works against them

You are not meant to be stymied in this game, you are supposed to succeed. The "Divine Beasts" dungeons are about as puzzling as you're gonna get, but even those are fool proof as the MC constantly reminds you what you should be doing. Anyone honestly critiquing the game knows this and isn't trying to enforce N++ level difficulty as a core piece of the gameplay.

I guess I must just be stupid then because the optional Depulso dungeons took some serious thinking on my part.

RafterXL

Gamespot dropped their video propaganda 'review' - 6/10

No one cares what they have to say at this point. They're tainted for how they handled this game and they waited too long to take their shot of knocking the game down a peg or two. There are 84 reviews now, this review is pissing in the wind.

It's hilarious how poorly all of these clowns handled this situation. They were completely unprepared and all they've done is hurt their own reputations and the trans movement in general.

winjer

Gold Member

You have to learn something about the real world, you can't just insult and lie about other people like that, without consequences.
Doesn't matter if it's a billionaire or a poor person. This is not some case of some rich person oppressing freedom of speech.
Insults and lies are not covered within the concept of freedom of speech.

sendit

I guess I must just be stupid then because the optional Depulso dungeons took some serious thinking on my part.
Agreed.

With that said. I am now rushing through the game (40+ hours of gameplay time so far). The gameplay loop was good for the first 10 hours. However, It's now become an exhaustive effort similar to Assassin's Creed's gameplay loop.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Honestly a billionaire throwing legal threats around because of twitter words is weak as fuck. Why are we all overlooking shitty behaviour because of politics?

Because it’s not really about JK Rowling. It’s about other women without her power and influence saying the same things she is, and having their lives ruined. She’s doing this to help protect them. She’s said as much.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Lost all respect. They didn't have the balls to show who reviewed it, instead it just says "Gamespot Staff".

Perfectly fine if someone doesn't like the game, but anyone with half a brain could tell how biased this review is. Gamespot lost all its credibility.

What do you expect from a site who couldn't even properly review a child-focused platformer without failing to do the most basic of challenges? (Spongebob: Battle for Bikini Bottom Rehydrated)

They have been a fucking joke for ages.

Just hope that people start to see reality and stop giving dipshits like these the time and attention they so desperately crave. Same with sites like opencritic and metacritic that openly compile these reviews from mental degenerates.

No one cares what they have to say at this point. They're tainted for how they handled this game and they waited too long to take their shot of knocking the game down a peg or two. There are 84 reviews now, this review is pissing in the wind.

It's hilarious how poorly all of these clowns handled this situation. They were completely unprepared and all they've done is hurt their own reputations and the trans movement in general.
they were banking on the game being bad, & just blowing it off along with everyone else. when they discovered it wasn't, they became conflicted & confused...

LordCBH

Nah. Her being rich as fuck doesn’t change the rights she’s afforded. It’s even weaker as fuck to call people you disagree with Nazis. Not a single one of these cucks would recognize an actual Nazi today even if it was leading them into the gas chambers.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

The only one overlooking behavior here because of politics is *you*. I get you agree with this manchilds shitty behavior, but that says more about *you* than it does her. She is simply following basic libel laws.

Why do I get the feeling that you are so against her doing this because you acted in similar fashion to this pathetic ingrate that is trying desperately to walk back what they said?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

How is it possible that it runs so badly with 16 GB of RAM???

I just want to see what the Switch version is like... It's going to be hilarious.

La versión de Nintendo Switch va a estar de la chiflada. 😂😂😂😂

They released a patch today for it and the game performs terribly now even on a 4090. I tried it on my system with a 4080 too.

Even with Frame Generation on, where I was getting a locked 144fps(143 of course) with everything kicked up to ultra including raytracing, the game now struggles to run at 60 fps consistently lol. They effectively broke the progress they'd made over the first 2 patches

More bugs too with random characters floating disappearing, or lines of dialogue just starting(It literally started playing the dialogue from a story mission...that was located across the map from me and I didnt even start at one point)

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
They released a patch today for it and the game performs terribly now even on a 4090. I tried it on my system with a 4080 too.

Even with Frame Generation on, where I was getting a locked 144fps(143 of course) with everything kicked up to ultra including raytracing, the game now struggles to run at 60 fps consistently lol. They effectively broke the progress they'd made over the first 2 patches

More bugs too with random characters floating disappearing, or lines of dialogue just starting(It literally started playing the dialogue from a story mission...that was located across the map from me and I didnt even start at one point)
Stupid but maybe reinstall the driver now to re trigger shader compilation?

Stupid but maybe reinstall the driver now to re trigger shader compilation?
Bro it's doing the shader compilation, but it gets stuck at like 10 percent then the bar shoots finished real fast and voila, games weird lol

I'm almost done reinstalling the whole game. Nvidia DID put out a patch centered around redfall today, i hope that garbage game isn't sabotaging all games 😂😂😂

ShadowNate

Runs ok for me after the patch. feels smoother and better performing but I'm not using RTX.

I am also not on the latest (May) NVidia driver yet. Probably the one before it. And I did not do any manual workarounds like replacing DLSS files or mess with configuration files.

King Dazzar

Apologies to bring this topic back to life. But after some feedback on how the PS5 or XSX (I'd prefer PS5 due to haptics & triggers) version run in the 60fps modes? I know its been getting quite a few patches over time so wondering how it is these days, specifically in 60fps mode? It had quite a lot of frame pacing issues etc reported on launch which put me off... how does it look in its performance mode too?

Cheers.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Apologies to bring this topic back to life. But after some feedback on how the PS5 or XSX (I'd prefer PS5 due to haptics & triggers) version run in the 60fps modes? I know its been getting quite a few patches over time so wondering how it is these days, specifically in 60fps mode? It had quite a lot of frame pacing issues etc reported on launch which put me off... how does it look in its performance mode too?

Cheers.

Ask DFweekly

Top Bottom