• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy State of Play Announced

The_hunter

That "room of requirement" or whatever it was called definitely seemed like the "room of microtransactions".
Hopefully it's not too bad in that regard.

This is being made by Avalanche Software, not Avalanche Studios.

It's the people behind Disney Infinity, Toy Story 3, etc. This is definitely their biggest and most ambitious project yet
The room of requiring your wallet.

Elysion

Banned
Set in the late 1800s? That means either the 1880s or the 1890s. Since Dumbledore was a student between 1892 and 1899, there‘s a good chance he will be a character in the game.

Overall I liked what I saw, but I‘m still left with some big questions: How exactly is the game structured, especially in regards to the passage of time? Will it take place only during the 5th year, or will the game also cover our 6th and 7th schoolyears? Can we interact with all students and NPCs, or just a select few, with the rest just being decoration to fill out classrooms and hallways? And finally, where the fuck was Quidditch!?

elliot5

Set in the late 1800s? That means either the 1880s or the 1890s. Since Dumbledore was a student between 1892 and 1899, there‘s a good chance he will be a character in the game.

Overall I liked what I saw, but I‘m still left with some big questions: How exactly is the game structured, especially in regards to the passage of time? Will it take place only during the 5th year, or will the game also cover our 6th and 7th schoolyears? Can we interact with all students and NPCs, or just a select few, with the rest just being decoration to fill out classrooms and hallways? And finally, where the fuck was Quidditch!?
My guess is it will be based upon seasons for the grade year. You will have the chance to explore, do side missions, prepare, with unlimited time, and going to class/doing a core event will be like a main mission that actually progresses time, the school year and the story forward.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Is this back when they poop in buckets and wizard them away?

Edit: I gave them too much credit with the bucket thing.

Last edited:

GymWolf

. Makes me very worried as while their games are FUN, they are also Janky and cheap as all hell feeling. I've yet to play an Avalanche game that controlled well. Just Cause makes me so frustrated with its horrid controls and low budget jank everywhere.
Mad max controls pretty well.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
OK just finished watching, overall its impressive, I read the books as they came out as a young teen back in the day so by the time the videogames on PlayStation etc rolled around I wasent really interested. However yeah... this looks like a solid release, of course the fact it's got WB attached to it means I'm wary of how they can screw with the monetisation to uttely ruin the game, but hell if it's half decent and sticks to what's shown, I'm down for it.

Last edited:

Doom85

Is this back when they poop in buckets and wizard them away?

Edit: I gave them too much credit with the bucket thing.

Yeah, Rowling started adding really random and dumb shit as “extra worldbuilding” post-Deathly Hallows, and this was the most infamous. But what’s worse is this contradicts a major plot point in Chamber of Secrets in which a bathroom is a plot point and that bathroom was established to have been there for hundreds of years. So this was a random and gross detail that was not only unnecessary but also makes zero sense.

Bryank75

Banned
I'm not a Harry Potter fan.... but I like magic in games and that looked brilliant.

If they make it so you really have to research and explore a lot to become truly powerful, it will kick ass.

If only they had invasions and some type of arena to fight against other players.

Would that be too Elden Ring?

Mad max controls pretty well.
Mad Max was developed by Avalance Studios, a swedish developer (recent efforts:Mad Max with WB, Just Cause franchise with Square-Enix, Rage 2 with id and Bethesda) acquired by Nordisk

Hogwarts is developed by Avalanche Software, an american studio acquired originally by Disney (recent efforts: Cars, Disney Infinity) and then shut down in 2016 with all the Disney Interactive. WB bought them and reopened the studio in 2017 (games after the reopening: Cars 3 in 2017 and Hogwarts scheduled this year)

Aenima

Not a Harry Potter fan or fan of magic combat, but the game looks really nice and even the magic combat look better than i expected.
Not a day 1 buy, but will eventually get it. From the YT comments the fans seem really happy with what was shown.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

More impressive than I was expecting. A kind of Arkham Asylum Metroidvania with RPG elements and spell based combat? Might well pick this up if it reviews well, and looks like it has a deep and interesting world to get lost in.

RPS37

Mad Max was developed by Avalance Studios, a swedish developer (recent efforts:Mad Max with WB, Just Cause franchise with Square-Enix, Rage 2 with id and Bethesda) acquired by Nordisk

Hogwarts is developed by Avalanche Software, an american studio acquired originally by Disney (recent efforts: Cars, Disney Infinity) and then shut down in 2016 with all the Disney Interactive. WB bought them and reopened the studio in 2017 (games after the reopening: Cars 3 in 2017 and Hogwarts scheduled this year)
Holy shit I did not know there was a difference.

sendit

Harry Potter, open world, customization, create your own character, loot, lite base building, crafting, play style builds....

Yeah, this is going to sell a buttload.

Last edited:

Orpheum

After all those shitty movie licensed games by EA this looks to be an ACTUAL fucking good Harry Potter game. Can't believe we had to wait all this time

GymWolf

As I already mentioned in the post you quoted.

I said I hope theres some preset that are well designed as the other character models look.
They are probably there like almost any game with a character creation, but now i get your point, this is the risk when you have a character creation and not a premade character unfortunately, unless you are pretty good, it is easy to create some monstruosity.

Last edited:

klosos

Honestly I've watched a couple of the films and didn't like them so i have no attachment to Harry potter , however to be honest this does look very good, I mean apart from one or two of the animations , ill have to keep an eye on this for a definite future purchase

Top Bottom