• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy State of Play Announced

R6Rider

Gold Member
I've only recently watched all of the films and then watched the Fantastic Beasts films, and while I don't think any of the films are amazing, this game does look good.

Little concerned on actual combat, and gameplay beyond these small clips, but so far I'm very interested.

Jaybe

I’m going to watch this on several devices, view count demolishes all records while REEE mods curl into a ball and cry.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Looks very very good. I have little interest in Harry potter in general, but this looks absolutely phenomenal.
Its added bonus that this gets the goat of Reeee crowd. Day one!

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Hogwarts Legacy PS5 vs Uncharted 3 PS3
eXQrVSp.jpg
JjoDgJi.jpg

I didn't even know the developer was a mobile developer. Yea my expectations rn are typical open world with a harry potter paint...if its more than that I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Pagusas

Elden Member
my biggest concern now is the game looks maybe TOO combat heavy. I want it to be 90% exploration, world building and living in that fantasy world, not another run and gun where the only point leveling up is to kill things easier.

I get the general audience though needs explosions, and fighting, and climactic battles. Just wish a game like this could exist where thats a super minor aspect, and not the main point.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
That "room of requirement" or whatever it was called definitely seemed like the "room of microtransactions".
Hopefully it's not too bad in that regard.

This is being made by Avalanche Software, not Avalanche Studios.

It's the people behind Disney Infinity, Toy Story 3, etc. This is definitely their biggest and most ambitious project yet
Why do you people always assume anything with a timer is a micro transaction? Games have been using timers far longer than MTs existed.

Fbh

Why do you people always assume anything with a timer is a micro transaction? Games have been using timers far longer than MTs existed.

Because modern games have gotten us used to there being microtransactions?
And this is published by WB games who have a history of filling games like Mortal Kombat 11 and Shadow of War with microtransactions and loot boxes?

If this doesn't end up having microtransactions (and it's no small print of "no microtransactions!!!.......at launch, so reviewers don't mention it" ) then that's cool. But being skeptical in a 2022 game by this publishers is perfectly understandable.

Last edited:

Nico_D

It looks rather good but for me Avalanche hasn't released any games (yet) that would've captured me. Cautiously optimistic hoping the obvious RPG systems aren't just the same old same old, the side quests aren't uninspired delivery quests and the open world doesn't have thousand and one hidden secrets which are mostly just different skins and encyclopedia bits.

thebigmanjosh

Gold Member
Hogwarts Legacy PS5 vs Uncharted 3 PS3
eXQrVSp.jpg
JjoDgJi.jpg

Normal, functioning brain:
s0L30ec.png

Your brain:

vrlTHUb.png

OT: I pulled the trailer up last night on the TV and my non-gamer fiancee came into the room like a kid on Christmas. She sat down and watched the whole SoP with me and will apparently be playing her first non-mobile game since N64 days. I may need to get her a PS5 or XSX/XSS for the bedroom so she can have her own setup

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
Normal, functioning brain:
s0L30ec.png

Your brain:

vrlTHUb.png

OT: I pulled the trailer up last night on the TV and my non-gamer fiancee came into the room like a kid on Christmas. She sat down and watched the whole SoP with me and will apparently be playing her first non-mobile game since N64 days. I may need to get her a PS5 or XSX/XSS for the bedroom so she can have her own setup
My sister who has never played a game more serious than animal crossing brings this game up when we talk after seeing the first trailer. It’s going to do massive numbers

TheAssist

I dunno about you, but if a French went living on your country, made a famous book taking a lot of "inspiration" ( is that a good word ?) from UK then said nah "it is all from my French imagination..." Brits would Brexit that author right away.... anyway joking.

She's rich and we the poor people are here defending her or trying to burn her alive....it is a fun pass time.
I guess if taking inspiration from history and different cultures for fictional works is now also forbidden we should burn pretty much all good fantasy books in existence. And most media to be honest.

Your line of argumentation is very thin, or rather non existent.
All good fiction is based on reality. This is what makes it relatable and tangible.
Doesnt have anything to do with defending a specific piece of work, its just basic writing 101.

TrebleShot

Where’s Gandalf? This is the worst Lord of the Rings game I’ve ever seen, Mordor looks nothing like the movies.

0/10

Combat looks like you randomly button mash whilst all enemies stand awkwardly in the distance because one hit on a child would kill it.

Zeroing

Banned
I guess if taking inspiration from history and different cultures for fictional works is now also forbidden we should burn pretty much all good fantasy books in existence. And most media to be honest.

Your line of argumentation is very thin, or rather non existent.
All good fiction is based on reality. This is what makes it relatable and tangible.
Doesnt have anything to do with defending a specific piece of work, its just basic writing 101.
It is not forbidden but at least acknowledge that you done so. That was my issue, her being dismissive to their Portuguese fans...and the country she lived on.
As an artist myself I have no problem in saying whatever my work took inspiration or elements from other cultures
but if someone ask me about it and if I said no, I would be a self centred "I am better than you" ass. That's my take on all this.

Certinty

Hated the movies but this actually looks way better than I expected. Saying that, it seems insanely ambitious so I’m not expecting too much.

Kabelly

my biggest concern now is the game looks maybe TOO combat heavy. I want it to be 90% exploration, world building and living in that fantasy world, not another run and gun where the only point leveling up is to kill things easier.

I get the general audience though needs explosions, and fighting, and climactic battles. Just wish a game like this could exist where thats a super minor aspect, and not the main point.
found the Hufflepuff

Demption

oqB60L5.jpg

I mean what the fuck? Is she now TERFING fuckin goblins? These people..
That's from now closed (obviously d'uh) thread

Last edited:

Green_Eyes

Looks great but I really hope they fix the AI to at least be reactive. Those Hogwarts-students-on-rails can really kill the liveliness vibe, and it could end up being as lifeless as Cyberpunks world/population.

OZ9000

Banned
oqB60L5.jpg

I feel like I am living in some bizarre parallel reality.

Reeeetardera never ceases to surprise me.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
oqB60L5.jpg

They are saying that Goblins are her portrayal of Jews and thus she is a massive antisemite.

IDappa

Just listened to the kinda funny podcast in regards to this, fuck me all they do is tip toe around these idiots that hate Rowling. You can tell they're just bullshitting so they don't get any hate.

Funniest part of it all is they have all this hate for this game and are willing to throw these devs under the bus but then rave on about supporting people in the industry.

They aren't even consistent with their views. They still support Activision while banging on how bad their workplace is. They still support Sony who's paying top dollar to highlight this game. Some of that money is sure as shit going to JK.

I just hope one day more people just start telling these online hate mobs to get fucked and carry on business as usual. That way we can let this world get somewhat back to normal.

Impotaku

Knew of this games existence but never looked into it more deeply as it seemed so far away, the latest trailer got me pretty excited it's everything i could have wanted in a wizarding game i have played several of the licensed EA shitfests and none of them do the source material any justice. This time it looks like the tables may have turned it kept going & going with the amount of stuff you can potentially do finally a chance at been able to live through a proper curriculum of Hogwarts even if it is sped up in parts, i need to keep in check my love of the world in the books from getting overhyped. I loved the world Rowling had built but wanted to explore way more of it than just what occurs around Harry's timeframe there is soooo much more to it and finally it looks like we have a real chance of exploring. The in game timers on crafting stuff like potions kind of make sense and actually close to the books, polyjuice potion was extemely hard to make and took weeks for even Hermione to make. I'm sure there's plenty to do as you set off your stuff making and then come back later to collect it, thankfully with them saying there will be no mtx i remain hopeful they don't take the piss.

Will not be preordering but i will pick it up on release if it lives upto what the trailer is showing. Mum is in her mid 70's and loves harry potter so i showed her this trailer & she flipped out she wants to play it but the combat looks too involved for her so she has said she's going to watch me play it to experience the story lol.

Last edited:

Tieno

Not a potter fan, I did enjoy the books, the World building looks really cool, so I’m very interested.

Tieno

Will not be preordering but i will pick it up on release if it lives upto what the trailer is showing. Mum is in her mid 70's and loves harry potter so i showed her this trailer & she flipped out she wants to play it but the combat looks too involved for her so she has said she's going to watch me play it to experience the story lol.
Love this, so wholesome. Hope you enjoy the time with your mom.

decisions

Just listened to the kinda funny podcast in regards to this, fuck me all they do is tip toe around these idiots that hate Rowling. You can tell they're just bullshitting so they don't get any hate.

Funniest part of it all is they have all this hate for this game and are willing to throw these devs under the bus but then rave on about supporting people in the industry.

They aren't even consistent with their views. They still support Activision while banging on how bad their workplace is. They still support Sony who's paying top dollar to highlight this game. Some of that money is sure as shit going to JK.

I just hope one day more people just start telling these online hate mobs to get fucked and carry on business as usual. That way we can let this world get somewhat back to normal.

Not surprised, this just reinforces that Kinda Funny is the epitome of fakeness in games media. They pretend they are pundits whose opinions you should trust while espousing wokeist dogma to brown-nose industry connections, in order to host media events advertising the games are supposedly giving honest criticism on. It’s actually hilarious how pathetic they have become after throwing Colin to the wolves.

Last edited:

TVexperto

Not surprised, this just reinforces that Kinda Funny is the epitome of fakeness in games media. They pretend they are pundits whose opinions you should trust while espousing wokeist dogma to brown-nose industry connections, in order to host media events advertising the games are supposedly giving honest criticism on. It’s actually hilarious how pathetic they have become after throwing Colin to the wolves.
what happened with colin?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Knew of this games existence but never looked into it more deeply as it seemed so far away, the latest trailer got me pretty excited it's everything i could have wanted in a wizarding game i have played several of the licensed EA shitfests and none of them do the source material any justice. This time it looks like the tables may have turned it kept going & going with the amount of stuff you can potentially do finally a chance at been able to live through a proper curriculum of Hogwarts even if it is sped up in parts, i need to keep in check my love of the world in the books from getting overhyped. I loved the world Rowling had built but wanted to explore way more of it than just what occurs around Harry's timeframe there is soooo much more to it and finally it looks like we have a real chance of exploring. The in game timers on crafting stuff like potions kind of make sense and actually close to the books, polyjuice potion was extemely hard to make and took weeks for even Hermione to make. I'm sure there's plenty to do as you set off your stuff making and then come back later to collect it, thankfully with them saying there will be no mtx i remain hopeful they don't take the piss.

Super happy to see you being able to spend wholesome time with your mom like that.

My mom also has very little interest in video games but saw me playing Uncharted lost legacy and got super interested. We are Indians so to her it was amazing to see our culture and Gods in the game. She watched me play the whole thing and kept commenting on things. One of my favorite gaming memories.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Why wait for other people? You can start by not listening to that Kinda Funny trash.

IDappa

Why wait for other people? You can start by not listening to that Kinda Funny trash.
Yeah i know, honestly I don't really listen to it. I added it to my listen list years ago and never deleted it. Saw that they had an opinion about hogwarts and was curious.

Anyway any recommendations?.

IDappa

And you can easily see that's what they do but people fall for it. I honestly was just curious to see how they would spin their opinion on the game and wasn't disappointed with the bullshit they spewed.

TVexperto

kinda funny are hyprocits in my opinion...on the one hand they jump on any hate train.... like EA yet then they get paid to host EA sponsored E3 events..

Inviusx

The gameplay demo looked good but I'm not convinced the developers have the pedigree to pull this off at the scale they're advertising. Not convinced yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom