• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts review embargo lifts on Feb 6

Valedix

Gold Member
Fire This Is Fine GIF

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
That close to release is worrying.

This really isn't true anymore. DSR had an embargo the day before release; probably will be one of the Top 10 games of the year come "awards season." FS same deal, it its critical response has been woeful. ER, apparently the greatest game of all time, had a review embargo of two days before release.

. . .like review embargos dates just aren't a good metric for quality in anymore in an era of development transparency and leaking. Its there to control hype and momentum for a game and nothing more.

Saber

Gold Member
Can't wait to finally see the entire game.
In the meantime, certain reviews will be...interesting. Mainly because some already choose the score.

A little close to the release, they have to do it 4 days due to the early access. This does not bode well.
Huh?? Lol.

It’s timed perfectly, actually. Four days ahead of release, and the day before early access starts. Not seeing what you’re seeing, I guess. In this day and age, four days ahead of release for a review embargo for a major AAA is actually really early. It means the review copies to media actually had to be sent out even earlier.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
65 metascore and not even a digit more. They have the reviews ready with the scores predetermined (and communicated between them), all of them will start or finish the reviews with political remarks about the book author that has nothing to do with the game.

Or its a "65 metascore" game that also is hit with a political angle. Like is it at all possible that this game just isn't good? Or any "problematic" game for that matter? Or can anyone point to ANY game that has received this treatment: a concentrated effort by reviewers to dock a game's score for subjective reasons unrelated to the quality of the game itself?

Or its a "65 metascore" game that also is hit with a political angle. Like is it at all possible that this game just isn't good? Or any "problematic" game for that matter? Or can anyone point to ANY game that has received this treatment: a concentrated effort by reviewers to dock a game's score for subjective reasons unrelated to the quality of the game itself?
Until now no, but the west (mostly American) media is left leaning with too much politics involved and a game that is associated with the author of Harry Potter. For who they claim is a racist and many more ugly names. They believe if this succeed it would damage their believes and their hard work they done to establish inclusivity. Therefore they have made a campaign to damage the game. Which has again nothing to do with JK Rowling.
Now if she is racist or no, everyone can decide for themselves as everyone is entitled to his opinion but you can not target a team of developers for trying to feed their families and work, in the end of the day they are just working there. The studio with their executive decided to work on it. Also as final point you can open any online or go to any bookstore and buy the Mein Kampf, why no one that is talking about or promoting anti racism/inclusivity does not complain why we still see the books of the mother of all racists?

Now the game can be 65, but you and me know that is not truth. We have seen the previews and many gameplay videos and the game is looking good in every aspect. It won't change the industry with Innovations but it would be a good RPG.

Looks to be my cup of tea, an open world game that's interesting, fun, and immersive. Pre-ordered it also.

Only a small percentage of people are with the extremists. Remember when the extremists got on Nintendo for banning political messaging in Smash Bros? Nintendo stuck by their guns and the issue died. Never give into these whackos and they'll find some other manufactured outrage incident to try and cancel.

Vestal

Gold Member
Everything I have seen and heard about this game says its going to be a massive hit..

If previews hold true I expect 85+ aggregate.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Thabass

This really isn't true anymore. DSR had an embargo the day before release; probably will be one of the Top 10 games of the year come "awards season." FS same deal, it its critical response has been woeful. ER, apparently the greatest game of all time, had a review embargo of two days before release.

. . .like review embargos dates just aren't a good metric for quality in anymore in an era of development transparency and leaking. Its there to control hype and momentum for a game and nothing more.

Not really. It’s pretty standard these days.

Eh, it's still very much true. Maybe less so than it used to be, but Forspoken is a very recent case and occurrence of this being still a thing.

HOWEVER

When it comes to Hogwarts, it's probably going to review well. So, I'm not super worried.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
65 metascore and not even a digit more. They have the reviews ready with the scores predetermined (and communicated between them), all of them will start or finish the reviews with political remarks about the book author that has nothing to do with the game.
I actually kinda hope the critics rate the game unfairly and fill their reviews with virtue signaling. They’ll only serve to discredit and embarrass themselves when the game becomes a smash hit and everyone realizes the reviewers had an agenda. Plus it’ll make it abundantly clear that the vast majority of ordinary people don’t give a single shit about what a few perpetually offended idiots shriek about inside their bubble.

Of course it also just might not be a great game. Hopefully it is!

Saber

Gold Member
We will also be ready to shit on their review ethics.

Youtube pocket is full of their whores money. See Spider-man No Way Home review, once was an absolute disaster because of much poop the reviewer spill. Now all the dislikes are gone and the review is once again "positive".

fart town usa

Gold Member
sadly I fear a lot of sites will mark this down due to a fear of the woke mob.
I hope so. let the game function as a giant honey pot for the community to witness woke jackoffs jumping the shark over a Harry Potter game, lol. It's gonna sell gang busters regardless of their reviews.

My wife wants it, she doesn't play videogames for the most part but when she does she kills at them. There's going to be so many copies purchased by women who don't play games much but their husband or boyfriend have a console that they can play it on. None of those people read reviews or watch gaming related stuff on YT, they don't even know what Kotaku is. It's a massive HP game that allows you to be a student at Hogwarts. That in itself is gonna move millions of units.

We visited some friends downstate last week, one of the first things the wife brought up was the HP game releasing soon, she doesn't play games. Husband preordered it on his Series X for her.

Honest to god, just preordered the Deluxe Edition right now cause of the early release. Had no clue until just now. Gonna surprise the wife by just booting it up after work next week, lol.

Lasha

I would set a review embargo for a day after release and not bother with review copies if I were WB. No sense in helping a bunch of reject English majors larp at playing journalists.

Top Bottom