• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts review embargo lifts on Feb 6

zombrex

Expecting this game will get high review scores of 8-9.5 from all the major outlets, there is obviously a huge media push and big advertising behind it.
Expect consesus from players will be a 7/10 game as the actual gameplay, combat and puzzle solving looks super shallow and barebones.
For super Harry Potter fans the game will probably be seen as better than the sum of its parts.

Last edited:

Fredrik

They have the reviews ready with the scores predetermined (and communicated between them)
Do you have any source for this?
Then Metacritic should have those websites removed from their database. Critics scores are already hard to trust since games get patches after the release and critics never return to adjust their scores.
GAF should treat them as banned websites too.

Last edited:

j.k.2021

Banned
Critics will have a bias while reviewing this game so it's better to lift the review embargo as close as possible.

Last edited:
So sad that this game’s rating will not be centered solely on the actual game but also on the politics in the background.
Remember, everything is involved in politics now. Performance, merit, talent comes secondary in today's world. You have to have the right attitude, meaning the right politics. An example would be Nintendo was going to be cancelled by the lunatics or have a campaign to be cancelled, until Nintendo put out a statement about the civil unrest of 2020 in the US, this was after their New York store was trashed and looted. They had to get in line or else.

As others have said in here, this game will not be judged fairly by critics on its graphics, gameplay, music, design. It will be judged by the creator's' politics.

mcjmetroid

Then Metacritic should have those websites removed from their database. Critics scores are already hard to trust since games get patches after the release and critics never return to adjust their scores.
Nor should they. That's the state they decided to release the game in. They should only get one chance at this.

I really don't think games should be re-revewed. Perhaps a small note at the end of the review if they have time.

Reactions: RNG

Freeman76

Thats good, day before deluxe drops. Dont really care too much about MC score etc as the pansies will be out in force over this, but it seems to have a lot of different elements I'm not sure how well they will tie it all together. Hoping it's great as it certainly looks it.

Freeman76

IGN and Gamespot are hungry to shit this game.

I hope whoever does the review thread leaves out IGN and Gamespot, fuck giving them any extra coverage. After the IGN preview I will never click on anything of theirs again. They can continue trying to cram a tampon into their penises to their hearts content as far as I'm concerned

FunkMiller

Gold Member
U4IYwVo.png

Slow down man. No need to spam the forum your first decade.

seth meyers pace yourself GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Dr_Ifto Dr_Ifto - you can secure your place in GAF legend by not responding to this post for another decade.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Review embargo is always a worrying sign, no matter how close to release.

But in this particular case, they might be afraid of the cancel mob bombings.
Hard to say for certain.

Robbinhood

Banned
Or its a "65 metascore" game that also is hit with a political angle. Like is it at all possible that this game just isn't good? Or any "problematic" game for that matter? Or can anyone point to ANY game that has received this treatment: a concentrated effort by reviewers to dock a game's score for subjective reasons unrelated to the quality of the game itself?
Edge with Playstation exclusives.

The sources is my opinion, now maybe it's not the best source but because i see what is happening and how things are moving i have come to that conclusion. I will be very happy to be wrong and they review it with integrity.

Jinjo

Let the review bombing commence.

tBhNka3.gif

The irony part of this is I can see it happen that people would buy the game on Steam just to review bomb it lol.

Metacritic User Score high 80s
Metacritic Review score max 60

I expect it to be the other way around, user score on metacritic is gonna tank because of the controversy. Hopefully if the game will be actually good some positive word of mouth will spread about it.

StueyDuck

I feel sorry for this game because it's definitely not going to get fair reviews. Especially from the dumbarses at like IGN and GameSpot.

That's why I think it was pretty genius to give previews to streamers earlier to show confidence and speak directly to the people.

Do we think any media outlet are going to have the guts to just review the game and not stick their head up their arse

StueyDuck

I've seen ign and GameSpot people on like kinda funny podcasts talking about how they all discuss a game on a pvt slack. I also remember Greg saying once they all went and had lunch one day to discuss a game before release...

So they definitely "unofficially" do it

Fredrik

Nor should they. That's the state they decided to release the game in. They should only get one chance at this.

I really don't think games should be re-revewed. Perhaps a small note at the end of the review if they have time.
Problem is, such reviews don’t actually help a potential consumer, even with the standardized day 1 patches things can change from how it was on the review code, and months later lots if things can have changed. Yet we look at Metacritic score for year old games and state ”That game is bad/good, just look at the scores.”.

GymWolf

Lol at people getting their panties in a bunch because the review are close to release when we had many great games that did the same.

It's all so tiring.gif

Not saying that this one is gonna review good, just pointing out gamers short selective memory...

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I feel sorry for this game because it's definitely not going to get fair reviews. Especially from the dumbarses at like IGN and GameSpot.

That's why I think it was pretty genius to give previews to streamers earlier to show confidence and speak directly to the people.

. . . hilarious. Can't even keep track of the narrative: IGN was one of those "streamers" and gave one of the most positive impressions. I'm sure you've got some contrived explanation about how that's all part of the "plot" and is ACTUALLY evidence of their compromised ethics.

Anymore obvious we evidence of this. . .
I've seen ign and GameSpot people on like kinda funny podcasts talking about how they all discuss a game on a pvt slack.

So they definitely "unofficially" do it

And so you've extrapolated this wildly out of context anecdote to be clear evidence of Russian colly - err, gaming media collusion. Nice.

Meanwhile in clown world

. . . or you could just stop going there and bringing that (by now repeated hundreds of times) here.

Mephisto40

The devs have been treating the game more like a glorified tech demo than an actual game in their previews so this doesn't surprise me at all

The game looks nice and it clearly sticks to the source material, but the gameplay looks like complete ass tbh

A little close to the release, they have to do it 4 days due to the early access. This does not bode well.
You clearly don't understand the primary reason for review embargoes. Without an embargo, whichever outlet(s) hack together a review the fastest and publish first will get the majority of traffic and views. And benefit from adverstising revenue gained from this. The embargo allows all media outlets reasonable time to play the game, write a good quality review, and publish at the same time. In other words, it's got little to do with if the game is good or not. It "bodes well" for fairness in media and providing the opportunity for legitimate, quality, reviews.

Dr_Ifto

You clearly don't understand the primary reason for review embargoes. Without an embargo, whichever outlet(s) hack together a review the fastest and publish first will get the majority of traffic and views. And benefit from adverstising revenue gained from this. The embargo allows all media outlets reasonable time to play the game, write a good quality review, and publish at the same time. In other words, it's got little to do with if the game is good or not. It "bodes well" for fairness in media and providing the opportunity for legitimate, quality, reviews.
I never said an embargo was worrisome, I just said it didnt bode well cause it was so close. GoW:R was 6 days before anyone saw it, and Horizon FW was almost 10 days.
Dr_Ifto Dr_Ifto - you can secure your place in GAF legend by not responding to this post for another decade.
Hey now, i lurk a lot, but ive also been away for a while.

//DEVIL//

This game is a great gift to me.

I will know which sites to block and never visit forever. Or unsubscribe to their channel.

Any fucklet woke reeeee site or channel bring anything none game related to this review will be gone forever from my book.

StueyDuck

. . . hilarious. Can't even keep track of the narrative: IGN was one of those "streamers" and gave one of the most positive impressions. I'm sure you've got some contrived explanation about how that's all part of the "plot" and is ACTUALLY evidence of their compromised ethics.

Anymore obvious we evidence of this. . .

And so you've extrapolated this wildly out of context anecdote to be clear evidence of Russian colly - err, gaming media collusion. Nice.

. . . or you could just stop going there and bringing that (by now repeated hundreds of times) here.
Maybe ign will hire you if you keep defending their honor on neogaf 🤣🤣🤣

You realise to those loons you are "the enemy".

Raven117

If you just must see what others are thinking about this game, I'd stick to...well...probably neogaf.

We know the normal avenues are going to have their own agenda with this game and will not get an objective shake regardless of its quality.

I don't know how anyone is getting a "this is worrying" feeling, most games that are "bad" are hidden as much as possible and reviews come out on launch day, they don't bother getting reviews out before a deluxe edition release date, they also don't get hands on previews for websites either. So far most of the hands on previews have been said positive things about the combat so I don't see how that's something anyone is worried about either. I'm also glad they haven't shown many of the story elements or missions, it's nice to have that saved for when we actually play.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Can GAF mod team do a countermeasure by banning biased reviews or include a warning in the review thread like “Metacritic score doesn’t reflect the quality of this product because of biased reviews not related to the game.”

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Metacritic User Score high 80s
Metacritic Review score max 60

It'll get a huge user score from people making a point about the press and Rowling. Metacritic user scores are absolutely meaningless beyond positive/negative bombing for reasons outside the actual game.

TonyK

Is that J.K.Rowling conflict relevant outside the USA market? Because here, in Spain, people I know interested in the game don't know anything about what J.K.Rowling said, and even if you mention it, that has zero impact in their purchase decision. Just curious about other countries/markets.

Goon_Bong

Is that J.K.Rowling conflict relevant outside the USA market? Because here, in Spain, people I know interested in the game don't know anything about what J.K.Rowling said, and even if you mention it, that has zero impact in their purchase decision. Just curious about other countries/markets.
Relevant to a fraction of a percent of people where the US has exported woke culture to.

Methos#1975

Most people here in the US don't know anything about it either. It's only the few that live in a echo chamber like ResetEra or Twitter or those that pay attention to such stuff such as here. 90% of the population has no idea what stuff is upsetting the wokies today nor care.

Last edited:
Top Bottom