• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollywood Reporter: Phoebe Waller-Bridge Prepping ‘Tomb Raider’ TV Series for Amazon

Draugoth

Gold Member
Lara-Croft-Still-Phoebe-Waller-Bridge-Inset-Getty-H-2023.jpg

Sources say the 'Fleabag' Emmy winner will pen the script for the project, which is the latest to stem from her recently renewed overall deal with the streamer.

Phoebe Waller-Bridge is getting into action at Amazon.

The Emmy-winning Fleabag grad is readying a TV series based on the popular video game turned action movie Tomb Raider. The project, which is in the development stages, is the latest to stem from Waller-Bridge’s recently renewed overall deal with the retail giant and streamer.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Waller-Bridge is attached to write the scripts for Tomb Raider. Waller-Bridge does not plan to star in the TV adaptation of the property, which spawned 2001 and 2018 film adaptations starring Angelina Jolie and Alicia Vikander, respectively, as the adventurous archaeologist. The Lara Croft character was also voiced by actresses including Camilla Luddington, Keeley Hawes and Minnie Driver in a slew of video game titles. Hayley Atwell also brought the character to life in a Netflix anime series.

Teletraan1

Banned
Just in case anyone tries to parrot the bullshit lie that she’s replacing Indiana Jones:

Kevin Smith had the same type of responses prior to the release of his He-Man property for Netflix. The "trolls" were 100% right. The so called trolls also managed to know the entire plot and story beats for Obiwan, Rings of Power, Cowboy Bebop, Dark Fate and She Hulk prior to release and were met with similar responses. I guess we can wait and see but I have little faith in modern Hollywood or the 5th installment of a franchise that should have ended after 3.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Kevin Smith had the same type of responses prior to the release of his He-Man property for Netflix. The "trolls" were 100% right. The so called trolls also managed to know the entire plot and story beats for Obiwan, Rings of Power, Cowboy Bebop, Dark Fate and She Hulk prior to release and were met with similar responses. I guess we can wait and see but I have little faith in modern Hollywood or the 5th installment of a franchise that should have ended after 3.
You’re comparing the guy who made 3:10 to Yuma, Logan, and Ford v Ferrari to the guy who made a movie where a dude was fucking a Donkey. Mangold says no one has seen the movie and the literal Neo-Nazi who is making up hullshit about the movie is wrong.

You go ahead and believe your Nazi YouTuber hero, Kanye.

Edit: Also the entire time travel plot has already been debunked. The Nazi YouTuber claimed the movie was titled The Order of Elysium and the macguffin was a box that allowed time travel. The movie isn’t titled that, and the macguffin is the Antikythera mechanism

Last edited:

SaintALia

People wanted a Tomb Raider series? I guess the last movie broke even but I didn't think there was, well I guess it doesn't matter. It's a recognisable property with a built-in fanbase. It'll do.

Teletraan1

Banned
You’re comparing the guy who made 3:10 to Yuma, Logan, and Ford v Ferrari to the guy who made a movie where a dude was fucking a Donkey. Mangold says no one has seen the movie and the literal Neo-Nazi who is making up hullshit about the movie is wrong.

You go ahead and believe your Nazi YouTuber hero, Kanye.

Edit: Also the entire time travel plot has already been debunked. The Nazi YouTuber claimed the movie was titled The Order of Elysium and the macguffin was a box that allowed time travel. The movie isn’t titled that, and the macguffin is the Antikythera mechanism
Ok sperg. I said wait and see and you start calling people fucking Nazis. You are deranged. Get some help.

Elysion

Banned
Was the 2018 movie any good? Did it have any sex appeal? I assume ‚no’ on both counts (especially since it seemed to be inspired by the reboots), though maybe I‘m wrong.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
And I don't get my news from that source. Yet you still managed to say that I have a hero that is a nazi. Not a good way to have a conversation. Sorry but when the slightest pushback you can imagine is met with Nazi accusations you lose.
Doesn’t matter what site you got it from, he was the guy who made it all up.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Just in case anyone tries to parrot the bullshit lie that she’s replacing Indiana Jones:

TBH this tirade of Mangold's leaves me very suspicious because it looks like he's answering randos histerically in panic mode like Kevin Smith was with He-Man..

I hope Tomb Raider comes out ok. I really liked Fleabag.

Filben

Stopped reading after the third tweet. I was lost from the beginning, not knowing what Indy has to do with all this. Also don't care what's going on in that maniac place which is due to its structure that is hard to follow and also how people there rises a lot of strawman arguments from imaginary (or a minority) people and create conversations out of thin air to get reactions.

On topic though : I'm looking forward to the series. Liked all the movies. Jolie's hotness back then and Vikander's different kind of hotness and the whole laid-back adventure vibes that didn't require hard thinking. I like those kind of movies and shows from time to time.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Definitely up for this, Waller is one talented woman and sure as shit can write great characters but I'm curious what sort of tone they're going for will, reserve judgement till I've seen the first the trailer like a fucking adult

Lunarorbit

Wow James Mangold sounds like a little bitch. People rightfully calling him out and questioning Hollywood "misdirection" in advertising and he's having a melt down.

No one wants to see an 80 year indy.

Majormaxxx

Based on her work on Killing Eve this is a really good get for us Tomb Raider fans. It looks we're finally going to get an adaptation worth watching.
problem with Killing Eve is the strong beginning, ok middle and completely meh ending. This IS a problem.

Billbofet

I loved Fleabag but I don't see how her style and humor fit into Tomb Raider.
I also don't give a shit about Tomb Raider or feel it has some magical, untapped potential, so I'm morbidly curious.
This does seem a little fanbaity with a dash of manufactured toxicity incoming, but we'll see.

Elysion

Banned
Unless this has a sexy, slightly sociopathic Lara in it I don’t see the point. None of the people making TR stuff these days seem to want to touch Lara’s portrayal from the pre-reboot era, even though that’s the version that became a pop-culture icon. The TR reboots already feel generic enough with their boring, girl-next-door version of Lara, just like the 2018 movie. It’s like a James Bond movie with a Bond who‘s neither attractive nor charming, and feels bad for having to kill his enemies. They might as well make an original series about a female explorer at this point, because modern Lara has no cultural impact whatsoever.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Unless this has a sexy, slightly sociopathic Lara in it I don’t see the point. None of the people making TR stuff these days seem to want to touch Lara’s portrayal from the pre-reboot era, even though that’s the version that became a pop-culture icon. The TR reboots already feel generic enough with their boring, girl-next-door version of Lara, just like the 2018 movie. It’s like a James Bond movie with a Bond who‘s neither attractive nor charming, and feels bad for having to kill his enemies. They might as well make an original series about a female explorer at this point, because modern Lara has no cultural impact whatsoever.
TL;DR: She's a dead meme, the industry needs to move on and get over it, realize that you can't make TR happen anymore.

The main part of TR was that she was a big titted lady jumping around shaking said tits, that doesn't sell anymore.

Putting a plot and trying to make characters detracts from TR also, the games are about a single lady adventuring on her own with some sprinklings of annoying 2D characters.

They could call it something else, but keeping TR alive by burning money is a silly thing to do in 2023.

Elysion

Banned
The main part of TR was that she was a big titted lady jumping around shaking said tits, that doesn't sell anymore.

It‘s not that it wouldn’t sell anymore, it‘s that the people in charge don’t want it to sell. I mean, if they announced a new TR game or movie tomorrow, that had a Lara that looked like this:

O5WX5nV.jpg

+the characterization she had in the earlier games, would they really have trouble selling that? I don’t think so. The reboots probably would’ve sold a couple million more if that‘s how Lara had looked, even if everything else remained the same. Just like the design of Nier Automata‘s main character is a big reason why that game became so successful, if we‘re being honest here.

Majormaxxx

She only wrote the 1st season. The one you liked. Maybe you can explain to us all how it's a problem that the person who wrote the thing you thought was really fun, is writing this thing.
It would be a problem if she creates this new series and abandons it like killing eve. Which seeing how it's not her ip, it is highly likely she would develop it and dump it.

Kacho

Gold Member
Jason Bateman No GIF by Emmys

Why is she getting such projects ? I checked out her Wikipedia profile. She made Fleabag, Killing Eve and was present in a few other comedies. How does that qualify her to make a Tomb Raider show ?
It's all about who you know.

jaysius

Banned
Jason Bateman No GIF by Emmys

Why is she getting such projects ? I checked out her Wikipedia profile. She made Fleabag, Killing Eve and was present in a few other comedies. How does that qualify her to make a Tomb Raider show ?
Killing Eve is barely better than a Shondaland shitshow.

Poorly written, well acted, unwatchable.

It's all about POWERFUL WOMEN though... that's the trend right now, it's better than zombies, and if it's well written it's great, but this writer lady is a hack.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its seems to me that once the fatigue really sets in with the powerful woman hero trope its going to take down with it established characters like Lara who predate this fad.

Cracks are already starting to show and I honestly don't see them staying the course as the financial implications become impossible to ignore.

Winter John

Gold Member
It would be a problem if she creates this new series and abandons it like killing eve. Which seeing how it's not her ip, it is highly likely she would develop it and dump it.

I got news for you buddy. She didn’t “abandon” Killing Eve. We know this because TV shows have these things called credits that tell us who worked on them and what they did. They’re real useful. You should get someone to help you read up on em sometime. It’s like I said, she only wrote the episodes you thought were fun.

Majormaxxx

I got news for you buddy. She didn’t “abandon” Killing Eve. We know this because TV shows have these things called credits that tell us who worked on them and what they did. They’re real useful. You should get someone to help you read up on em sometime. It’s like I said, she only wrote the episodes you thought were fun.
Fuck off pal. Later seasons sucked, capiche? Or is that too hard to understand. Idiot.

Top Bottom