• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollywood Reporter: Phoebe Waller-Bridge Prepping ‘Tomb Raider’ TV Series for Amazon

Winter John

Gold Member
Fuck off pal. Later seasons sucked, capiche? Or is that too hard to understand. Idiot.
You know I think the problem here is you don’t seem to be able to understand that she developed and wrote the season you thought was fun. Then what happened was someone else, a totally different person, came along and wrote the season you didn’t like. Let me break it down and see if we can’t simplify it for you. I know it’s all a bit much for you isn’t it, it’s difficult but let’s try.

Phoebe Waller Bridge is one person. She wrote the first season. The one you thought was fun. Now this is where it’s going to tricky but stay with me here. Try and follow along as best you can. After the first season a different person. Not PWB. A totally different person, came along and wrote the next season. Then another person. Again not PWB came along and wrote the 3rd season. Then a whole other totally separate person who wasn’t PWB came along and wrote the 4th season. Different people being responsible for different things is a difficult concept to grasp I know but I have faith in you. You can do it. You can figure it out. Probably not without water wings and a great deal of help from your remedial tutor but stay positive, aim high. You’ll get there eventually

It‘s not that it wouldn’t sell anymore, it‘s that the people in charge don’t want it to sell. I mean, if they announced a new TR game or movie tomorrow, that had a Lara that looked like this:

O5WX5nV.jpg

+the characterization she had in the earlier games, would they really have trouble selling that? I don’t think so. The reboots probably would’ve sold a couple million more if that‘s how Lara had looked, even if everything else remained the same. Just like the design of Nier Automata‘s main character is a big reason why that game became so successful, if we‘re being honest here.
Do you ever even get this look in the new games? I've only ever seen her with full pants on.

JaksGhost

Fuck off pal. Later seasons sucked, capiche? Or is that too hard to understand. Idiot.
I think you're the one failing to understand. Phoebe was the head writer for the first season, the one that you like. She hasn't worked on the show as a writer since then and only has stayed as an Executive Producer which could amount to nothing in terms of contribution.

Majormaxxx

I think you're the one failing to understand. Phoebe was the head writer for the first season, the one that you like. She hasn't worked on the show as a writer since then and only has stayed as an Executive Producer which could amount to nothing in terms of contribution.
So? If she develops tomb raider and then pulls the same stunt and lets someone else finish the show - we will get the same half baked stew.

Or it will get cancelled with a cliffhanger.

Am I supposed to rejoice that we'll get 1-2 good seasons and then they will run tomb raider into the ground...

JaksGhost

So? If she develops tomb raider and then pulls the same stunt and lets someone else finish the show - we will get the same half baked stew.

Or it will get cancelled with a cliffhanger.

Am I supposed to rejoice that we'll get 1-2 good seasons and then they will run tomb raider into the ground...
You're jumping the gun because we don't even know if it will go beyond a first season.

Fuz

Banned
Wow James Mangold sounds like a little bitch. People rightfully calling him out and questioning Hollywood "misdirection" in advertising and he's having a melt down.

No one wants to see an 80 year indy.
You'll want, when you're 80.

Fuz

Banned
It‘s not that it wouldn’t sell anymore, it‘s that the people in charge don’t want it to sell. I mean, if they announced a new TR game or movie tomorrow, that had a Lara that looked like this:

O5WX5nV.jpg

+the characterization she had in the earlier games, would they really have trouble selling that? I don’t think so. The reboots probably would’ve sold a couple million more if that‘s how Lara had looked, even if everything else remained the same. Just like the design of Nier Automata‘s main character is a big reason why that game became so successful, if we‘re being honest here.
TBH the shirt looks stupid as fuck.

RickSanchez

Gold Member
Its seems to me that once the fatigue really sets in with the powerful woman hero trope its going to take down with it established characters like Lara who predate this fad.

Cracks are already starting to show and I honestly don't see them staying the course as the financial implications become impossible to ignore.
I'll be happy if they stop trying to adapt video games altogether. Great video game IPs remain great if they remain video games. Even the best possible adaptation such as The Last of Us cannot create the same feeling of immersive and environmental storytelling that a game can do.

Do you ever even get this look in the new games? I've only ever seen her with full pants on.
Nope. Not even close. That’s one of my complaints with the modern Tomb Raider games. It has a good number of outfits, but most of them are kind of generic, safe and does not resemble her older, iconic outfit.

Top Bottom