• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hollywood's New Rules - The Explosion of Woke and its Ostracizing Effects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats why Korean media is getting more and more popular, from movies to tv shows to even music. They just dont give a shit about the woke culture, they dont have any communistic views either, it's the perfect or almost perfect culture and westerners are finally embracing it. Besides shows that I need to see the ending of, I havent rly touched any new shit on netflix or whatever else and I've just been watching Korean stuff.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
My honest feeling is that the opposition/backlash is growing, and inevitably its going to hit critical mass as ratings/box-office receipts continue to fall.

The reality is that Hollywood actually doesn't have that much money of its own, they rely on hedge-fund managers investing billions to fund production, and if those investments start to look less solid... well, I doubt they are going to let ideology cost them heating their swimming pools.

They've gotten away with a lot so far because receipts from China have gone a long way to shore-up the losses, but the CCP are not getting more liberal and increasingly are willing to simply bar foreign media that they find conflicts with their ideological goals.

I always wondered if this is the reason why movies based on old time periods are basically extinct...since it wouldn't make any sense to have historically accurate movies and have all sorts of people in there. I don't think a movie like Braveheart would be made today...just as an example.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
“Everyone has gone so underground with their true feelings about things,” said Mike White, the writer and director behind the hit HBO comedy-drama “The White Lotus.”
That’s… an awful lot of white.
Mr. White better start rethinking the titles of his shows, lotus flowers come in a stunning variety of colors, black included.
And he should think about changing his last name, while he’s at it.

FunkMiller

But every Netflix produced show has some woke shit to the point that I think it is mandatory if you want Netflix to fund it.

Yes. that's why the most popular show on Netflix right now is

*checks notes*

After Life, with Ricky Gervais - that well known woke comedian...

Netflix has woke stuff and non woke stuff on it. Probably more the latter, to be honest.

EruditeHobo

Lmao, i wish video games had nothing of this crap. Sadly that’s not the case. This poison is everywhere. I’m litterally trying my hardest to doge bullets like Neo ffs.
Keanu Reeves Matrix GIF by PeacockTV

The Matrix is about transhumanism, and how a straightforward binary classification doesn't encapsulate what it means to be an individual. So... probably not the best GIF to support your point. Just saying.👍

Last edited:
I've said in other thread, Western media: TV shows, ads, movies, video games are not about creativity anymore, they are social engineering tools.......

What happened is that during the BLM uprising last year, so much money funnelled into these social advocacy/activists groups, and now they are very flexing their muscles by influencing American Corporations, media, movies, etc

BOYCOTT THEM ALL!!!!.... I've limited myself to NFL playoffs and College Football, those I must have, the rest.... NOPE.....No NBA, No NHL, No MCU, No movies, No TV shows, No Netflix, No Amazon Prime, No Disney+. No Marvels, I've not seen Spider-Man, won't see it until 4.99 rent on Google Play

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
I thought as much.
They were scared of what was happening. The fear, one prominent director said in an email, is “the audience stops trusting us. They begin to see us as a community twisting ourselves into a pretzel to make every movie as woke as possible, every relationship mixed racially, every character sexually fluid, and they decide that we are telling stories set in a fantasyland instead of a world they know and live in. If that happens, and they decide to throw themselves instead into video games 24/7, we will lose them.”

People already noticed and already are. Unfortunately, the poison is starting to spread into games as well.

MayauMiao

The political correctness factor killed my habit of watching TV series/movies from the now Hollywoke. Thanks to streaming service I can just watch older shows that were free from the garbage woke politics infecting Hollywood.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The Matrix is about transhumanism, and how a straightforward binary classification doesn't encapsulate what it means to be an individual. So... probably not the best GIF to support your point. Just saying.👍

Nah, the Matrix was basically a hodge-podge of Anime references and HK wire-fu slathered with CGI and a piss-green filter to give it that late 90's cool look!

Its not particularly good, and certainly not deep or innovative. What it was, was the right movie at the right time.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

Nah, the Matrix was basically a hodge-podge of Anime references and HK wire-fu slathered with CGI and a piss-green filter to give it that late 90's cool look!

Its not particularly good, and certainly not deep or innovative. What it was, was the right movie at the right time.

Some said its a Dark City rip off.

AgatonSax

We are still in a period of blowback following Me Too and BLM. Increasing diversity and representation hasn’t in general made shows and movies any more successful or interesting. I have no problem with showcasing new talent but if they’re deadweight then the market will eventually prevail.

EruditeHobo

Some said its a Dark City rip off.

People who are lazy do say that, yes... but it's doing a completely different thing than Dark City, and was in development/production basically simultaneously.

But incorporating things only seen in anime doesn't make something an "anime ripoff" -- the case for what the movie is trying to say is really obvious. The argument that it's "not particularly good" or "isn't deep" is really terrible, but I mean, everyone''s entitled to an opinion.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I think creators simply need to get used to a vocal, mentally ill Twitter dwelling minority that will freak out about -everything-. And simply ignore them.

Just create what you want, even if Twitter crazies threaten to cancel you or try to get you fired, just ignore them and laugh at them. Then they will lose their power.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I keep wondering why it is how these studios are still able to make money despite more and more big flops? (especially from the films that went full woke) Are they being subsidized by the government? Or is the International Audience basically what is keeping them afloat?
This is also the case in France - the reason we have so many crap movies is the fact that they are heavily subsidized. Same goes for books.

EruditeHobo

The Wachowskis were pitching The Matrix for years. Long before they saw some cut of Dark City... they had research which went into that world and idea, they had a library list of books that they gave to their cast and production dept heads in order for them to get into what they wanted to make. Lots of movies deal in similar subjects, sure,and sometimes they are released within a stone's throw of each other. But The Matrix is using those ideas and influences to tell a totally different story.

Proyas may be justified with a little bit of sour grapes, but that is a really tame statement and to me comes off as mostly grasping at straws -- he never suggests the The Matrix isn't The Matrix because they shared a set Proyas designed. Did his stuff inform the Wachowski's movie? Yeah, on some level, sure. So did a fair amount of anime, as someone pointed out. But that doesn't mean a categorization of "rip off" makes that much sense.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Good read. And we still have people on this very forum acting surprised or outright dismissing the notion when someone says this movie or show is woke.
90% of the movies people are complaining about are literally set in a fantasyland.
It's all the extremists on each side that dictate the narrative. On one side we have the people falling all over themselves to say how great a piece of media is because of it's diverse cast, on the other people dismissing any piece of media for being woke if it has any gay or black people in prominent roles.
I just want to know if it is actually good or not, but people obsessed with the race and sexuality of the casting and characters can't actually tell you that because everything is skewed through that lens.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I've said in other thread, Western media: TV shows, ads, movies, video games are not about creativity anymore, they are social engineering tools.......

What happened is that during the BLM uprising last year, so much money funnelled into these social advocacy/activists groups, and now they are very flexing their muscles by influencing American Corporations, media, movies, etc

BOYCOTT THEM ALL!!!!.... I've limited myself to NFL playoffs and College Football, those I must have, the rest.... NOPE.....No NBA, No NHL, No MCU, No movies, No TV shows, No Netflix, No Amazon Prime, No Disney+. No Marvels, I've not seen Spider-Man, won't see it until 4.99 rent on Google Play

BLM started the woke Hollywood?! LMBO!

Yes, those awful protestors who want accountability (except for some rioters, but there's no distinguishing between them, right?) from the police are the ones who want woke stuff in movies and TV... Yeah, it all started with BLM. *face palm*

And like I said in another thread... "Woke" meant something else entirely when I was coming up (I'm 47). Just sounds like the same complaining I heard about too many black people on TV and movies.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The political correctness factor killed my habit of watching TV series/movies from the now Hollywoke. Thanks to streaming service I can just watch older shows that were free from the garbage woke politics infecting Hollywood.
I agree.

If backend things like grants, affirmative action for jobs and such wanna be done for people to help them make some money, ok fine. A least that's hidden and a direct economical boost for that worker and family.

Media PC and Diversity 101 in everything from tv, movies and even Hockey Night in Canada intermissions is getting way too far. It's now splashed in your face like a Three Stooges pie and impossible to avoid in modern media.

Enough. I get it. You got prop up people's egos so everyone can be one big happy family.

The funny thing about all the woke stuff lately is that it's not even split out evenly to purposely balance out against men and white people. Its skewed heavy to women, the Black community and LBGT. And thats it. You hardly see any Indians, Latinos or Asians. It can be argued the Native Indian segment has got the worst of it all. You never see any media or movie companies promote anything from them. And the only time they get airtime will be some 60 year old chief doing a feather dance.

So on one hand, the agenda is to even things out, yet some minority groups still get left out.

Last edited:

Mistake

I noticed this starting years ago with fat models and the fat acceptance movement. Now most of the people I see in commercials are obese and ugly, almost as if it’s a requirement. I don’t understand spanish, but I took one look on their channels and it was a 180

Last edited:

Bogeyman

Banned
They were scared of what was happening. The fear, one prominent director said in an email, is “the audience stops trusting us. They begin to see us as a community twisting ourselves into a pretzel to make every movie as woke as possible, every relationship mixed racially, every character sexually fluid, and they decide that we are telling stories set in a fantasyland instead of a world they know and live in. If that happens, and they decide to throw themselves instead into video games 24/7, we will lose them.”

Right - because that kind of trend would never happen in the video game industry!

AmuroChan

But every Netflix produced show has some woke shit to the point that I think it is mandatory if you want Netflix to fund it.

That hasn't been the case for me. Chapelle and Silent Sea were the last two shows I watched on Netflix. Neither were what I would consider woke.

Flutta

Banned
90% of the movies people are complaining about are literally set in a fantasyland.
It's all the extremists on each side that dictate the narrative. On one side we have the people falling all over themselves to say how great a piece of media is because of it's diverse cast, on the other people dismissing any piece of media for being woke if it has any gay or black people in prominent roles.
I just want to know if it is actually good or not, but people obsessed with the race and sexuality of the casting and characters can't actually tell you that because everything is skewed through that lens.

Both sides card being used alot, it’s kinda tiresome tbh….

So basically you dont care about this subject, you just wanted us to know that you dont care? 🤔

There’re ALOT of boards out there that only talks about ”if a movie is good or not” you should check those out instead.

The content of this thread cant be more clear on its subject and discussion.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The new Oscars regulations are the dumbest things ever. You can get through them by having two women be head of makeup and hair, have a Mexican decorator, and give an unqualified gay guy a job at the film's financing company. Congratulations, your movie is now academy worthy!

What was the point of even creating these in the first place? The Oscars have always been a meme but this is some next-level stuff.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
The new Oscars regulations are the dumbest things ever. You can get through them by having two women be head of makeup and hair, have a Mexican decorator, and give an unqualified gay guy a job at the film's financing company. Congratulations, your movie is now academy worthy!

What was the point of even creating these in the first place? The Oscars have always been a meme but this is some next-level stuff.

Because these brain washed fools actually think they're making the world a better place, or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom