• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holy fuck, I never knew Breath Of The Wild was going to be THIS good.

Cutty Flam

Banned
DonJorginho DonJorginho a tip to get the most out of BOTW that I wish someone had told me, is to relish Hyrule more before moving onto the next level

Spending 50-80 hours before attempting to finish off each level is a solid approach. There’s just so much to discover and do. Naturally, the game focuses on exploration to the max, so the story is more akin to the whipped cream and the cherry on the very top of a great dessert. Don’t rush through this game is my advice

It’s all according to your style of play and preferences, but 100% I would say to savor the main story. Exploration and sidequests early is a nice idea, learning all the NPCs and just having fun with overworld of Hyrule and all it has to offer. Because the levels themselves go by in a snap, and for me personally, I enjoyed them a lot

There’s beauty in BOTW in this sense, that there are so many ways you can play and experience the game. Every single player playing this game is going to have an incomparable experience their first playthrough because the options are nearly limitless in how you can go about playing BOTW. Sometimes the simple gameplay like that of old, like that in The Legend of Zelda (NES) is all you need. Nintendo showed us a lot with this one, enjoy it gay fish

Hoddi

It's easily my favorite Zelda since Wind Waker. Playing through it in Cemu at 5k60 was one of those experiences that I'll always remember from the last console generation.

I still love my Wii U and usually prefer playing on that. But BotW is just way too pretty to suffer from low resolution and framerate drops. It just deserves better.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
After going back to it this year and finally going into hyrule Castle after 4 years and over 140 hours of gameplay 112 shrines found on my own. No guides used...I can safely say this is one of the greatest games of all time and deffo game of a generation.

Simply, nothing comes close to giving you that sense of adventure.

It is magic.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
There is only one real problem with this game

Damn no one got this joke

rCSGed9.jpg

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
The weapons breaking (and also the copy-paste shrines) sucked all the fun out of this game, but actually fighting mobs doesn't really get you anything so I just avoided most conflict. Which sucked even more fun out of the game.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Is it a great game? yea i guess so. Is it omg goty? nah
And yes, I did complete the game (in MASTER MODE as well), max upgrade the master sword, complete all the dlc, got the superbike or something like that.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
As a Zelda game it failed for me.
I severely missed the dungeon gameplay. The shrines were way too shallow to replace those.
Oh, and the durability system made gear basically worthless.

DonJorginho

Banned
Play for 30-40 hours before reaching any conclusion buddy.
Have now played 12+ hours, if anything my love for this has only grown since.

This post was the conclusion I had come to out of my time in this game within my first 7 hours, that was made clear in the post. When I finish the game I will do an LTTP, but I don't see myself switching to dislike this game as I am adoring everything this game has to offer and I am happy to just do what I have been doing for my first 12 and a bit hours; exploring, fighting, discovering, experimenting etc.

GymWolf

Have now played 12+ hours, if anything my love for this has only grown since.

This post was the conclusion I had come to out of my time in this game within my first 7 hours, that was made clear in the post. When I finish the game I will do an LTTP, but I don't see myself switching to dislike this game as I am adoring everything this game has to offer and I am happy to just do what I have been doing for my first 12 and a bit hours; exploring, fighting, discovering, experimenting etc.
I only said that because for me the first 10-20 hours were the best, the game loss his steam after that.

Combat has the deep of a puddle, zero enemy variety, no rewards for exploration (or combat) except fucking korok seed or some breakable weapon, you see the best and really anything the game has to offer in the first 10-15 hours, unless discovering a shitty rock bowling minigame or some piece of armour with the same effects of food is something exciting for you...

Last edited:

NikuNashi

Glad you liked it.

Total let down for me, no real dungeons to speak if, most of the bosses are the same character just tweaked a bit. Very dissapointment that after clearing the game I couldn't see the world restored to normal and interact with people.

7/10 for me.

I've only played it once, when it came out, and also on the WiiU. Most lengthy games that are 100+ hours (like Xenoblade or Witcher 3) I have to take a break from half way through and get back to after 3 months. With BotW I did a full 100+ run with no breaks.

The exploration is great, the physics are great, the sense of discovery is great because it doesn't hold your hand with objective markers. It's at it's best when you're in the overworld doing whatever you want. Alternatively when it tries to be more like a Zelda game it falters a bit.

When you're doing the shrines, it's less great. I think half the shrines could've been cut from the game, but they have to be there because you need something to find in the giant overworld. So it's kind of a mixed bag. Sure you could only decide to do the "good" ones, but that can only really be done with knowledge you would have going in to a replay. The Divine Beasts are pretty good, but I felt 2 of them were worthy of the "dungeon" moniker, and the other 2 were a little underwhelming.

The weapon durability, everyones favorite gripe, is more of a double edged sword than an outright flaw. In the early game it works as intended to force you to play resourcefully, as you have little inventory and weapons break easily. As the game progresses though you just get more and more space and can hoard whatever you want. By the end game you'll have so many Royal Swords and Bows it'll render them breaking just a trivial annoyance.

I think a better system (maybe BotW2 can use?) Instead of an ever expanding inventory, would be that Korok seeds grant you a particular gem that you can fit to whatever weapon you want to make it permanent. Maybe you'd need 50 seeds for one gem, then another 75 for the next, and so on, with maybe only 3 Max being available. The gem could be removed if you wanted, but would destroy whatever you take it off of. The inventory would be limited to like 5 slots or something so you could still be forced to work with limited resources, but you decide which weapons to keep permanent, and when you decide to swap it out, that decision is still permanent.

The game would be boring without the brittle weapons, I agree. Unfortunately some can't let go of the hoarder mentality that most other games have trained them to adopt.
It's an interesting approach to dealing with loot and it forces players to improvise but I think the negative reactions means few other games will try it.

What most people seem to want is a weapon system where you find the strongest weapon and then stick with that. Possibly upgrading or looking for a rare version of the weapon.

Theres no perfect solution but the loudest voices will usually be heard so I wouldn't expect them to have this system on BotW2.

It works for me personally because a thing I dislike about many other large games like this is that they will have a massive array of weapons and spells and all that but you end up picking just one or two and it's just not worth a replay to try out another one. Like if you beat Bloodborne with the Saw Cleaver but don't actually feel like doing it all again with the Hunter Axe. So you've got a game with 26 weapons but no real motivation to try them all so you just never know what you might be missing out on.

I liked the BotW system of just using the weapons you've got and then picking up more when you need more. They are kind of like ammo in that way.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
The weapon breaking was a turnoff at first but I eventually got used to it and while I didnt love it I was totally ok with it.

I would always try to use the "worst" weapon that was still acceptable in the given situation, so I could save my best weapons. By the end of the game I had tons of great weapons so I would use those more often. Getting the master sword helps too.

The positive part is that it forced you to try different weapons.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Worst Zelda ever. Excluding Skyward Sword and The Philips CDI series.

Barely any dungeons, trash and annoying as fuck durability and weather system and none of the incredible Zelda music we all know and love from the classics.

What a let down.
In other words why isn't this game like the other 7 or so 3d Zelda games you've played over and over before?

Because they were trying to so something different. And it worked in my book.

A game in a new series doesn't have to have exactly what the previous games had and built upon it. Not every single thing.. what happens with that Philosophy is you end up with a Ubisoft style open world game which forces every machanic into the game to keep fans happy
In assassin's creed they're destined to have sailing and ship fights forever whether it makes sense or not.

No this did what it did extremely well and I know for a fact they're not going to do what you expect for the next game either.

Anyone expecting breath of the wild with more dungeons is gonna be in for a shock.

Jeeves

It's an interesting approach to dealing with loot and it forces players to improvise but I think the negative reactions means few other games will try it.

What most people seem to want is a weapon system where you find the strongest weapon and then stick with that. Possibly upgrading or looking for a rare version of the weapon.

Theres no perfect solution but the loudest voices will usually be heard so I wouldn't expect them to have this system on BotW2.

It works for me personally because a thing I dislike about many other large games like this is that they will have a massive array of weapons and spells and all that but you end up picking just one or two and it's just not worth a replay to try out another one. Like if you beat Bloodborne with the Saw Cleaver but don't actually feel like doing it all again with the Hunter Axe. So you've got a game with 26 weapons but no real motivation to try them all so you just never know what you might be missing out on.

I liked the BotW system of just using the weapons you've got and then picking up more when you need more. They are kind of like ammo in that way.
100%. It's so freeing to view the weapons as disposable and not worry about hoarding them. It's like the scene in The Matrix where they throw the guns away for new ones instead of reloading.

And it meshes perfectly with the freeform exploratory nature of the game to just make the most of whatever you can get your hands on at the moment and, as you said, improvise.

I never even guessed anyone would have been complaining about durability until I read forums.

Zog

Banned
In other words why isn't this game like the other 7 or so 3d Zelda games you've played over and over before?

Because they were trying to so something different. And it worked in my book.

A game in a new series doesn't have to have exactly what the previous games had and built upon it. Not every single thing.. what happens with that Philosophy is you end up with a Ubisoft style open world game which forces every machanic into the game to keep fans happy
In assassin's creed they're destined to have sailing and ship fights forever whether it makes sense or not.

No this did what it did extremely well and I know for a fact they're not going to do what you expect for the next game either.

Anyone expecting breath of the wild with more dungeons is gonna be in for a shock.
Can't wait until they make Mario Kart into a platformer, you know 'something different'.

LordOfChaos

I think it took me about 40 hours to really start enjoying it. I beat the campaign in that much time, and then just left it alone, until pandemic year.

Between having little to do, and having all the powers and endurance to play with now, I found the next 60 hours a lot more fun. I think it kind of forced me to play it the way it was meant to be played, for the campaign I was trying to squeeze a sparse story out of it, but with the DLC and pandemic year I was just shitting around with my powers, discovering things organically, ended up completing it pretty good, after just being ok with the main campaign.

I hope BoTW2 doesn't reset you to base endurance again, doesn't make sense, and I just found the start of the game more frustrating than the end. Maybe that was just me though, and I'd enjoy it even starting from zero now, now that I'm used to the style its meant to be played in.

LordOfChaos

It runs on CemU at 8K 60fps with great texture work, and some form of Raytracing, it looks stunning, but even on my Wii U it looks and plays well.

See, people say Nintendo hardware power is excusable because of the artwork, but this just shows how much better it had the potential to be. BoTW on my Wii U could be inspiring at the best of times visually, but I was also wishing it was a bit better than AF that stops three feet in front of you, the low texture resolutions everywhere, no AA, and the foliage was nowhere near as dense as reveal (I'm not sure why some have this impression that Nintendo doesn't do bullshots!). The Switch version is a bit better but honestly not a huge amount, it's the same game in 900p is mostly it.

BoTW even if built for base XBO native power? That could look amazing! Let alone the PS4, 8.5G upgrades, let's not even speak of the 9th...

Looking forward to a Switch Pro with DLSS at least.

Last edited:

SSfox

Yeah it's really amazing how Nintendo made such an amazing game is a such shitty and outdated hardware, i remember Xeno on Wii was so good it was my favorite jrpg of the gen and in my top 5 games of the generation of ps360wii. While i loved other Jrpgs on ps3 and 360 but Xenoblade Wii was just too good and the best jrpg out there in that generation, despite being released in a much shittier and weaker hardware.

i mean sure specs are cool and it's always great to have the best specs, but in the end it will always be about games, more precisely quality and great games.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Yeah it's really amazing how Nintendo made such an amazing game is a such shitty and outdated hardware, i remember Xeno on Wii was so good it was my favorite jrpg of the gen and in my top 5 games of the generation of ps360wii. While i loved other Jrpgs on ps3 and 360 but Xenoblade Wii was just too good and the best jrpg out there in that generation, despite being released in a much shittier and weaker hardware.

i mean sure specs are cool and it's always great to have the best specs, but in the end it will always be about games, more precisely quality and great games.

Specs have nothing to do with the ability to make a good game. Nintendo has been making good games on weak hardware since the Gameboy.

Nintendo is smart to focus on art style over tech. That way their games are future proof.

I could really care less if it runs on older hardware. Tbh, that is a plus, it just means a Switch Pro will be able to handle it.

Nobody would be big-upping their emulator versions if Nintendo hadn't nailed the art design in the first place. They know where priorities should lie. It severed them well.

This game's art style is one of the big reasons to get it. At times it looks like a game version of Princess Mononoke.

Last edited:

SSfox

Specs have nothing to do with the ability to make a good game. Nintendo has been making good games on weak hardware since the Gameboy.
You're so wrong if you think better hardware doesn't help to make better games, the fact that botw is so awesome doesn't prove the opposite, but instead it prove on how much the devs behind botw are talented. Of course you can also say that a hardware that uses old technology (so like Switch) can hugely help the devs in development cost and time gain, but better specs always help devs to achieve things they couldn't do before, but i'm speaking about the most obvious and well know thing in the world, if you don't realize that then HUH!!! , this what make the difference between genius devs and meh devs, the genius devs will always add things and features in the new game in the new powerful hardware that other never though about, meanwhile the meh devs will only think about improvement of graphics and resolution.

And actually one of the things that helped BOTW is that it was a Wii U game originally, and this game could never been achieve in a Wii Hardware for example, and while it was still running on WiiU but Switch helped the game to run in a more stable way.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
You're so wrong if you think better hardware doesn't help to make better games, the fact that botw is so awesome doesn't prove the opposite, but instead it prove on how much the devs behind botw are talented. Of course you can also say that a hardware that uses old technology (so like Switch) can hugely help the devs in development cost and time gain, but better specs always help devs to achieve things they couldn't do before, but i'm speaking about the most obvious and well know thing in the world, if you don't realize that then HUH!!! , this what make the difference between genius devs and meh devs, the genius devs will always add things and features in the new game in the new powerful hardware that other never though about, meanwhile the meh devs will only think about improvement of graphics and resolution.

And actually one of the things that helped BOTW is that it was a Wii U game originally, and this game could never been achieve in a Wii Hardware for example, and while it was still running on WiiU but Switch helped the game to run in a more stable way.
You seem to believe that what the devs want = a better game. Not true at all.

I once read (I think it was Miyamoto) that you have to drop features that just don't work well or aren't fun no matter how much you want them in the game. Sometimes what devs WANT doesn't make a better game.

I think Nintendo's library shows that they are good at making games, whether it be on superior hardware or weaker hardware. It's not about the hardware.

SSfox

You seem to believe that what the devs want = a better game. Not true at all.

I once read (I think it was Miyamoto) that you have to drop features that just don't work well or aren't fun no matter how much you want them in the game. Sometimes what devs WANT doesn't make a better game.

I think Nintendo's library shows that they are good at making games, whether it be on superior hardware or weaker hardware. It's not about the hardware.
You seems the one that believe the devs since you're quoting me that Miyamoto shit.

Better hardware is always better for games, and you're the one that is believing the Nintendo PR shit they're feeding so like better hardware doesn't matter, the only reason Nintendo doesn't go full on power is because of cost, also because it's way easier to make a console based on old tech on pretty much all areas, and they want to have large margin of gain of each console sold, they can't do that if they do much powerful hardware. If it doesn't matter there is no reason to ever release a new hardware for any company. Also that's the reason you'll never see most new 3rd party games in Switch, outside of few cases like TW3 or MK11 where the games are downgraded to hell. 3rd party devs would want to put their games on Switch if possible but the hardware just can't handle it, and it goes much above res and fps.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
You seems the one that believe the devs since you're quoting me that Miyamoto shit.

Better hardware is always better for games, and you're the one that is believing the Nintendo PR shit they're feeding so like better hardware doesn't matter, the only reason Nintendo doesn't go full on power is because of cost, also because it's way easier to make a console based on old tech on pretty much all areas, and they want to have large margin of gain of each console sold, they can't do that if they do much powerful hardware. If it doesn't matter there is no reason to ever release a new hardware for any company. Also that's the reason you'll never see most new 3rd party games in Switch, outside of few cases like TW3 or MK11 where the games are downgraded to hell. 3rd party devs would want to put their games on Switch if possible but the hardware just can't handle it, and it goes much above res and fps.
I am not really one to defend Nintendo but something I have learned over the years is the better hardware has little to do with the quality of games. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

You guys are talking in hyperboles. BotW was fist made in 2d and worked well so they made it in 3d. So there is the argument that great games can be made on any hardware. That said better graphics makes those games even better. The concept isnt that complicated.

Top Bottom