• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holy fuck, I never knew Breath Of The Wild was going to be THIS good.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'm about ten hours in and I'm really enjoying the lethality of the world around me. I've heard that let's up in a big way later on, but for now it's a blast having to actually strategize and outmaneuver those octopus-like monster enemies.

I'm sort of confused by the game design though. What is the incentive to explore?
Most times I've done it, I end up losing more than I gain. I suppose I should just be avoiding enemies and going directly for the divine beasts?
The shrines are also worth hunting down because that's the only way to upgrade health & stamina? (Though again, maybe not if the game is going to become so easy as I go).

Do I have that right? Exploring is sort of there if you want it but has little gameplay incentive given the games low focus on loot in combination with easy difficulty?
Not trying to rag on the game, just trying to understand it.

GymWolf

I'm about ten hours in and I'm really enjoying the lethality of the world around me. I've heard that let's up in a big way later on, but for now it's a blast having to actually strategize and outmaneuver those octopus-like monster enemies.

I'm sort of confused by the game design though. What is the incentive to explore?
Most times I've done it, I end up losing more than I gain. I suppose I should just be avoiding enemies and going directly for the divine beasts?
The shrines are also worth hunting down because that's the only way to upgrade health & stamina? (Though again, maybe not if the game is going to become so easy as I go).

Do I have that right? Exploring is sort of there if you want it but has little gameplay incentive given the games low focus on loot in combination with easy difficulty?
You are playing it right, the rewarding exploration is just something that this game doesn't have in spades.

Sure you can encounter a dragon in the sky or some other strange shit, but it's not like your usual action rpg where fighting and looting is pretty important.

Even the piece of armours you can find have the same exact effect of food, so not even that special.

Last edited:

yup. i found it really easy to just avoid any and all non mandatory combat. (monotonous) shrines and (abundant) cooking ingredients are where your most important gains come from.

Last edited:

StormCell

Still my GOAT by a long shot.

I just wish we had the sequel to play already. After pouring about 500 hours into this game, I officially have no desire to really ever go back. :LOL:

Alphagear

Easily one of the best games ever made.

Pity about the weapon durability.

What were Nintendo thinking.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I just had to update the game after not playing for a couple days. Anyone know why?
Btw I paid for all the dlc but have no idea where to find it. I feel like looking it up may ruin the fun though. Tricky situation.

tmlDan

The pretty empty world and weapon durability made the game unplayable to me but im glad you're enjoying it!

it's funny how some people think it's the GOAT tho, i think its good but has too many flaws for that title.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I’m early in but the weapon durability doesn’t bug me. It’s sad to lose a cool weapon but it ties into the gameplay loop pretty well. If the Master Sword actually lasts a bit longer, it’ll make that seem more special as well, but I can’t speak to that yet. I’ve heard it still breaks.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I’m early in but the weapon durability doesn’t bug me. It’s sad to lose a cool weapon but it ties into the gameplay loop pretty well. If the Master Sword actually lasts a bit longer, it’ll make that seem more special as well, but I can’t speak to that yet. I’ve heard it still breaks.
It doesn't break, but essentially needs to recharge.

Keihart

Honestly the incentive of exploring is satisficing the players curiosity (the more you explore, the more powerful you do get) if you feel you can go for Ganon now, you can, nothing stops you after you get out of the grand plateau.

Kev Kev

it didnt bother most people, but for those that it did bother, it REALLY bothered them. i just dont get it. its simple to create weapons. and i havent played botw in a minute but i remember weapon creation being kind of fun too. finding a new weapon or the stuff you needed to make it was a little game in itself. then you had to be strategic about how much you used your powerful weapons.

i think liking or hating this game comes down to one thing: do you play games to feel like your going on an adventure, or do you pla games because you want to beat the game and "do all the things"?

i think those going in looking for an adventure (like me) and not a check list of "things to do" will enjoy the game the most. i loved exploring the world just to explore it. to see the views and find different areas, camp in little nooks, hunt some food and come back to camp, cook it, eat it, go to sleep, wake up the next morning and take a look around the landscape and figure out where i was going to go and what i was going to do that day. i loved every second of the game bc the whole thing is full of moments like that. you really feel like your adventuring through this huge land.

i think some people look at video games like a challenge or a to do list, and when there is no obvious direction or "things to do" they claim there is nothing to do or the game world is empty and boring. they arent necessarily wrong, its just that they dont look for the same sense of adventure like a lot of us do, they are looking for a game with "things to do". breath of the wild is a game for those looking for an adventurous feel (hence the "of the wild" part of the name).

so, if you ask me, id say the people who complain about the weapons breaking are likely of the latter variety just looking for a to do list. theyd rather keep the weapons they have so they can continue to "do all the things" and not have to be sidetracked exploring the world and adventuring

TidusYuna

I love catching those little fuckers! Don't know whether I have it in me to get all 900+ though lmao
LiquidShallowDungbeetle-small.gif

You should go for it, the prize is well worth it. You can show that shit off to everyone..

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Maybe I need to go and try to fight Ganon for a reality check, because I’m starting to doubt why I should even do the divine beasts. Tbh, they’re my least favorite part so far - I always get stuck.

has anyone ever advised just skipping them, leveling up on your own terms, and then going for Ganon? Are the divine beasts worth the trouble?

K2D

Banned
BotW - and Elden Ring not too far behind.. gonna be goood.

I *want* to complete BotW a second time - and in that case on master quest and drawing my own irl map.

from1699

Neo Member

Health. Stamina. Stamina. Health.

I think the game is good, but insanely overrated and this is one major reason. There seems to be so little motivation to explore this great world after you get the hang glider.

Remarkable Level Design is the incentive. In general, the player is tempted to open up the topography regardless of any direct reward other than the exploration itself.

In all my experience, this is the only game I've found to generate this behavior in some players: after a few hours in BoTW, people start noticing previously ignored landscapes IN THE REAL WORLD.

Remarkable Level Design is the incentive. In general, the player is tempted to open up the topography regardless of any direct reward other than the exploration itself.

In all my experience, this is the only game I've found to generate this behavior in some players: after a few hours in BoTW, people start noticing previously ignored landscapes IN THE REAL WORLD.
Ok...

• LOL
Reactions: K2D

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Gruesomely overrated and kind of boring. Stupid weapon system, annoying dungeon puzzles, and the much celebrated 'exploration' involves you wandering for hours to see more mountains. Millennial critics love it, but I like a bit more 'game' with my game.

Kenpachii

Great game, loved the call back to OOT of timelessness and u doing what u want and where u wanna go. It's what i also like about AC games for example.

I can't wait on the second one.

Top Bottom