• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holy shit! The Zodiac Killer has finally been identified. No joke.

A cold-case task force led by former FBI agents and retired law enforcement officials claims they have finally uncovered the identity of the mysterious Zodiac Killer.

The arch criminal terrorized Northern California in the late 1960s in a series of random murders, but grew in notoriety because of his cryptic notes to authorities and media. He has never been identified by authorities, who only recently cracked the code on one of his letters.

Investigators with the task force known as the Case Breakers told Fox News that the group has identified the killer as Gary Francis Poste, who died in 2018. The Zodiac Killer has been linked to five murders in 1968 and 1969 in the San Francisco area by the FBI. The Case Breakers also tied Poste to a sixth murder in Southern California.
The Zodiac Killer has been a popular culture inspiration in books, music, television,, and films for many years. Beyond examinations of the actual events in the Bay Area, such films as Clint Eastwood’s 1971 Dirty Harry and the TV series American Horror Story have used the character as the basis for their fictional stories.

The Zodiac’s signature move was a series of letters to local Northern California newspapers, threatening more terror if the messages weren’t printed. He has never been identified, and several theories on who the killer was have emerged over the years.

The Case Breakers new claim on the Zodiac Killer identity stems from new forensic evidence in the case. Photos taken from Poste’s darkroom show scars on his forehead that allegedly match scars on a sketch of the Zodiac.

Additionally, the group claims deciphering the coded letters sent by the Zodiac yielded Poste’s name as the killer. In the letters, he claimed to have killed as many as 37 people. The Case Breakers also claimed to have discovered an alternate message based on Poste’s full name.

“So you’ve got to know Gary’s full name in order to decipher these anagrams,” former Army counterintelligence agent Jen Bucholtz said to Fox. “I just don’t think there’s any other way anybody would have figured it out.”

The FBI is not commenting on the Case Breakers contentions and maintains that the Zodiac Killer case is still open. San Francisco police issued a similar comment.

nush

Gold Member
1c80ca9d-3e06-4b6e-8878-af4c1a6d6e11.gif

Tschumi

"no joke"

... Presents something the FBI so far refuses to confirm

.. feel like I've been the victim of a joke

If it is him then shit he's dead that blows

SJRB

Gold Member
former FBI agents and retired law enforcement officials

Probably a VERY reliable group of people that in no way or form made it their personal life mission to get someone behind bars.

Reactions: MrS

carlosrox

Banned
The Arthur Leigh Allen shit seemed pretty suspect. Didn't one of the original survivors ID ALA years later?

I don’t really get what the hell is going on with those tweets but I am intrigued.

thefool

I love Zodiac but Fincher adhering so much to Robert Graysmith theories has always rubbed me the wrong way.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Even though Zodiac killings were long time ago and detectives didn't have great gear back then, I still think what's more surprising is how someone can get away with all these murders and nobody could get enough clues to find him.

Not saying it's easy to do, but you watch some murder mystery documentaries and the murderer is simply caught by evidence of hair strands or a footprint and trivial shit.

I guess this guy covered his tracks well.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Even though Zodiac killings were long time ago and detectives didn't have great gear back then, I still think what's more surprising is how someone can get away with all these murders and nobody could get enough clues to find him.

Not saying it's easy to do, but you watch some murder mystery documentaries and the murderer is simply caught by evidence of hair strands or a footprint and trivial shit.

This explains why decade old cases are solved. Pretty interesting.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

People killing at random are still very hard to catch. You need to identify a suspect before you can match them to hair or shoeprints etc.

Doom85

The Arthur Leigh Allen shit seemed pretty suspect. Didn't one of the original survivors ID ALA years later?

I don’t really get what the hell is going on with those tweets but I am intrigued.

I heard said survivor was very inconsistent whenever he needed to recount the events of what happened. Not saying he’s a liar as it’s just as likely such a traumatic experience could make it difficult for him to always accurately remember details, plus time getting further and further from when it happened doesn’t help one’s memory either obviously.

Like, I love David Fischer’s Zodiac film, but I know it took plenty of liberties and one of them according to people who have really studied this hardcore was its over reliance on painting ALA as the #1 suspect.

MacReady13

I love Zodiac but Fincher adhering so much to Robert Graysmith theories has always rubbed me the wrong way.
I always fels the movie was more so about 1 mans dogged obsession to find the Zodiac killer. It totally consumed his life and ruined his family life. You could've substituted any serial killer but the fact Graysmith was obsessive about it was the real story.

Either way this is exciting news! 1st the East Area Rapist and now The Zodiac! What a time to be a fan of previously unsolved crimes!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It'll be interesting to see if now that we have a name if there will be more evidence that proves it was him or if it will all fall apart.

sircaw

Banned
I realize this isn't a legit source or proof, but holy shit is probably right. Time for David Fincher to direct a Social Network and Zodiac sequel.

Wasn't there a scene in the movie where he was in the house and talking to the guy in the basement, when he heard sounds upstairs and then ran out.

humm, :messenger_grimmacing_

Last edited:

thefool

I always fels the movie was more so about 1 mans dogged obsession to find the Zodiac killer. It totally consumed his life and ruined his family life. You could've substituted any serial killer but the fact Graysmith was obsessive about it was the real story.

Either way this is exciting news! 1st the East Area Rapist and now The Zodiac! What a time to be a fan of previously unsolved crimes!

You can definitely look at the movie like that (even tho I don't think the film is that interested in that pov) but the epilogue tries to put an end into the mystery vindicating Graysmith theory.

Aggelos

They claim to have identified him as Gary Francis Poste.

"On October 6, 2021, The Case Breakers, an independent team of 40 former law enforcement investigators, military intelligence officers and journalists, claimed to have identified the Zodiac Killer as Gary Francis Poste, but this information was not confirmed by the Vallejo Police Department. The Case Breakers have requested that police test the Zodiac Killer's DNA evidence to confirm it matches the DNA of Gary Francis Poste. The police, however, said that the case is not solved and that the killer was not identified yet. "The Zodiac Killer case remains open. We have no new information to share at the moment", an FBI spokesman told CNN ."

They claim to have identified him as Gary Francis Poste.

"On October 6, 2021, The Case Breakers, an independent team of 40 former law enforcement investigators, military intelligence officers and journalists, claimed to have identified the Zodiac Killer as Gary Francis Poste, but this information was not confirmed by the Vallejo Police Department. The Case Breakers have requested that police test the Zodiac Killer's DNA evidence to confirm it matches the DNA of Gary Francis Poste. The police, however, said that the case is not solved and that the killer was not identified yet. "The Zodiac Killer case remains open. We have no new information to share at the moment", an FBI spokesman told CNN ."

Ok then lets keep watching this.

It will be interesting to see if one day this case will just get solved, but if D.B. Cooper is still a thing then who knows how long this could go.

G-Bus

Banned

Was always under the impression is that if you kill as randomly as you can, and don't have any prior offences with law enforcement or what ever, it's relatively hard to get caught.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I realize this isn't a legit source or proof, but holy shit is probably right. Time for David Fincher to direct a Social Network and Zodiac sequel.

If there was such a good likeness from a sketch, why didn't anyone notice that it was him back then?

Last edited:
Top Bottom