• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Home gadgets that blow your mind

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I just noticed there is a residue in my dishwasher - most common culprit: running low on salt.

Go to the store, get the salt, come home, try to unscrew the salt compartment.

Stuck.

Google solution.

Try hot towel trick, try WD-40, nothing.

Google some more, there is a spanner on Amazon that fits the salt cap exactly for 15€.

WTF is this not included with the fucking dishwasher?

What are some other home gadgets that blew your mind?

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I like my Stand mixer, and my power drill.
Good one, I also have a cordless hammer drill, perfect for doing small improvements around the house.

Also - cordless vacuum. Fuck you, I know it is not the power of a regular one, but getting rid of a hussle to always put the cord in the power socket is worth it. It makes us vacuum way more often.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Good one, I also have a cordless hammer drill, perfect for doing small improvements around the house.

Also - cordless vacuum. Fuck you, I know it is not the power of a regular one, but getting rid of a hussle to always put the cord in the power socket is worth it. It makes us vacuum way more often.
In that vein my battery powered yard tools ae great. Blower, Edger, Hedge Trimmer, and the Chainsaw all are great. Chainsaw has enough power to cut the branches I need to.

Fbh

I still remember the first time I got one of those smooth edge can openers. Shit felt like magic
01_480x480.gif

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I just noticed there is a residue in my dishwasher - most common culprit: running low on salt.

Go to the store, get the salt, come home, try to unscrew the salt compartment.

Stuck.

Google solution.

Try hot towel trick, try WD-40, nothing.

Google some more, there is a spanner on Amazon that fits the salt cap exactly for 15€.

WTF is this not included with the fucking dishwasher?

What are some other home gadgets that blew your mind?
I've got a water softener system in my basement that takes care of this for the entire water supply.

I post about it a lot but my bidet has been the best device I've bought for the house.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
That is a lifestyle not a gadget. I love having the tankless system.
I have a tank, but it's an intelligent one - I exchanged huge one for one half the volume but with programmable heating schedule.

The best way if you still have the tank is to have a re-circulated system where the hot water is available instantly, but that requires more work.

bitbydeath

I only just learned about this device recently.

images

It lets you control anything remotely that works with a remote control.

Pedestal fan, electric blinds, lights, TV, you name it, you can set everything up to be smart without paying ludicrous cash for actual smart devices.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Practically every thing in the home. We just take it all for granted but let’s face it. We live better than any old fashion kings and queens. For all the money they had etc. They had to shit in a hole on the side of a castle. Didn’t have lightbulbs fridges. Toothpaste. Hot and cold water on demand or a place to keep food for six months frozen.
Central heating AC.

Not to mention all the entertainment devices.

Last edited:
my mind is still blown by WiFi :messenger_tears_of_joy:

i remember my dad paying for two internet connections and we had to get two modems installed. so it was two separate bills. one was downstairs and one upstairs. wireless internet wasn't really a thing. well i suppose it existed but it wasn't anything like it is today. with the two modems one was connected with ethernet to the desktop and our laptop was connected to the other through ethernet. obviously the desktop wouldn't go anywhere but the laptop (a portable device) was kept on the "laptop table". the only time i disconnected it was if i was doing home work and if i wanted to sit downstairs.

my friend's dad worked at some tech company and one day my friend was like "there's this thing called a router so you don't need cables. my dad will set it up for you if you buy one". so my dad bought a router and my friends dad set it up. shit was black magic to me and my dad. also my dad was so excited about phoning up the ISP to tell them to cancel one of the internet connections lol. i remember carrying the laptop around (with a dongle sticking out the side...wifi chips weren't built into laptops at the time) and thinking how i was basically harry potter being able to connect to the internet while sitting on my bed.

obviously this was YEEEEARS ago but still to this day i'm amazed by it. of course i understand the technology a lot more but i guess what i'm saying is i remember life without it and i really appreciate it. i think these days most people take it for granted that their phones, tablets, laptops and everything else all connect without wires.

chixdiggit

Any good recommendations? I just recently bought a cheap one. Works well but could use more suction that I'm willing to pony up for.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Any good recommendations? I just recently bought a cheap one. Works well but could use more suction that I'm willing to pony up for.

I am a big fan of the Shark Ultracyclone.

I want to also add a robot vacuum. An absolute fucking game changer, just don't go too cheap.

Also a power washer. Professional grade cleaning that is fun.

Aesius

I have a tank, but it's an intelligent one - I exchanged huge one for one half the volume but with programmable heating schedule.

The best way if you still have the tank is to have a re-circulated system where the hot water is available instantly, but that requires more work.
Yeah, my house is newish construction but they messed up by putting the tankless water heater as far as possible from the master bath. So it takes easily 90 seconds to get hot water going. But I found a “hack” by turning on both faucets and both showerheads to hot water. It gets the cold water flushed out of the pipes much faster. Still a pain to turn everything on and back off but better than just standing there forever waiting for hot water.

Lunarorbit

I've got a water softener system in my basement that takes care of this for the entire water supply.

I post about it a lot but my bidet has been the best device I've bought for the house.
A1xZupH.jpg

Just moved in and this guy is in the en suite/master bath off of the bedroom. The funny thing is the bathroom doors have glass panels so my wife can watch me use the bidet if she wants. I'll let you know how it handles(if it works).

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Happy Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Smart speaker

Cat Playing GIF by JustViral.Net

Humidifier

Air Fryer Speedi GIF by NinjaKitchen

Ninja foodie
Ninja Woodfire GIF by NinjaKitchen

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Just moved in and this guy is in the en suite/master bath off of the bedroom. The funny thing is the bathroom doors have glass panels so my wife can watch me use the bidet if she wants. I'll let you know how it handles(if it works).
Please clean this, that water outflow looks nasty.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
6-EE8575-E-3-D97-412-E-9354-BC32-DF5-E1-A3-D.webp

I have a Berkey water filter. I didn’t buy it, it’s super expensive, but I wouldn’t give the kids water any other way. You have to fill it up when it gets low and change the filters out ever so often. I’d have to say it’s one of those things where the water is better.

Kadve

I only just learned about this device recently.

images

It lets you control anything remotely that works with a remote control.

Pedestal fan, electric blinds, lights, TV, you name it, you can set everything up to be smart without paying ludicrous cash for actual smart devices.
So how does that work exactly? Usually to control something with an universal remote you need to set it to the specific IR frequencys used by said device. And that all hinges on you know those frequencys.

(Edit) for example my receiver remote claims its able to work as an universal remote if you insert a code corresponding to a device. And it has like 300 different codes included but no one which match my Fischer CD changer.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

So how does that work exactly? Usually to control something with an universal remote you need to set it to the specific IR frequencys used by said device. And that all hinges on you know those frequencys.

(Edit) for example my receiver remote claims its able to work as an universal remote if you insert a code corresponding to a device. And it has like 300 different codes included but no one which match my Fischer CD changer.
I haven’t used it yet, it’s locked away as a Christmas present, however I believe it detects the frequency when used. So you need to press a button on the remote first to capture the action, but again I have it wrapped til Xmas, only heard about it from a workmate.

Top Bottom