• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront: The Revolution |OT| The City of "Brotherly Love" showing its true colors

Cornbread78

nUlsliy.jpg

General Info:
Developer: Dambuster Studios
Publisher(s): Deep Silver
Engine: CryEngine
Platform(s):
Linux
Microsoft Windows
OS X
PlayStation 4
Xbox One
Genre: First-person shooter
Mode(s): Single-player/multiplayer (co-opp)

Release date(s):
NA 17 May 2016
EU 20 May 2016

File Size: 28-32GB, (depends on your region)
Price: $59.99 (regular)
Goliath edition: $159.99

PC System Requirements:
Minimum:
Processor: Intel Core i5-4570T (2.9 GHz) or equivalent or AMD FX-6100 (3.3 GHz) or equivalent
Memory: 6144 MB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 560 TI (1024 MB) or equivalent or Radeon R7 260X (2048 MB) or equivalent
Storage: 38 GB available space

Recommended:
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K (3.3 GHz) or equivalent or AMD FX-8320 (3.5 GHz) or equivalent
Memory: 8192 MB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 760 (2048 MB) or equivalent or Radeon HD 7870 (2048 MB) or equivalent
Storage: 38 GB available space

Pre-Order Bonus:
UpyuUnc.jpg

Goliath Edition:
XViSufx.jpg

This includes the game, its Expansion Pass, an art book, and a radio-controlled replica of the game's Goliath drone.

Expansion Pass:
The game will be supported post-launch with multiple DLC packs. All of these can be purchased in the game's Expansion Pass. All of the DLC will focus on the single-player mode.

SPG6F55.jpg

Story:
Homefront: The Revolution takes place in 2029 in an alternate timeline, following the protagonist Ethan Brady as he stages a resistance movement against the army of a North Korean invasion. Four years into the brutal military occupation, America is on its knees. Philadelphia - once the birthplace of Independence has become a ghetto, where surveillance drones and armored patrols keep the population at heel, crushing any dissent with savage force. Her once-proud citizens live in a police state, forced to collaborate just to survive, their dreams of freedom long since extinguished. But in the badlands of the Red Zone, in the bombed out streets and abandoned subways, a Resistance is forming. A guerrilla force, determined to fight for their freedoms despite overwhelming odds and ignite the second American Revolution.

But Freedom always has a price… dun, dun, dun.....

Overview/Features:
• Explore a living, breathing open world - experience true open world gameplay in a first person shooter, brought to life with astonishing CRYENGINE-powered visuals
• Wage Guerrilla Warfare - this is no linear shooter; learn the art of guerrilla warfare and use ambush, infiltration and hit and run tactics against your foe in thrilling un-scripted firefights
• Build the Resistance - recruit revolutionaries to the cause, establish bases and safehouses, capture and customise a deadly arsenal, and build improvised, homebrew weapons for your Guerrilla Tool Kit
• Ignite the Revolution - from oppressed citizen to revolutionary leader, an epic single-player campaign tells the story of the second War of Independence. The dynamic, evolving world responds to your actions as an oppressed nation rises up in defiance against the occupation
• Online Co-Op - take the battle online, form a Resistance Cell with your friends and earn your reputation as Heroes of the Revolution

*Side Note:
Homefront: The Revolution may seem like the second entry in the Homefront series, but is actually a reboot. The first-person shooter takes place in the near-future and focuses on Americans fighting against a North Korean invasion. The original game, simply titled "Homefront", came out in 2011. The developer explained the reasoning by saying that "everything is new." So while it shares the same concept as the 2011 shooter, it's a fresh take on it. It also means gamers won't be missing out if they haven't played the original as this is a "complete reboot."

Multiplayer:
One of the biggest draws to The Revolution is its cooperative multiplayer. Called the Resistance mode, up to four players can tackle narrative driven missions together. It features a full progression system, and players will have to work as a team through the short story scenarios in order to be successful. Some such missions would be: Escape from KPA zone, Defending a resistance base of operations, and stealing a KPA tank.

Free DLC for MP:
The cooperative mode will also be getting a full year's worth of DLC

Screenshots:
ADIBzy5.jpg
b4fjhYH.jpg

zdPsywQ.png
CuxG9bP.jpg

Videos:

Story Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKlmtMQsHoo

Marketing Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZR2gS0kF6M

"America has Fallen" trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkAYv-ay4Bc

Eurogamer MP Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrO5cb1lnKQ

Free Add-On:
The game will feature an arcade cabinet that includes a playable version of TimeSplitters 2. Players will be able to play two levels, Siberia and Chicago, from the 2002 original release.

Resistance Network app (iOS/Android):
The Resistance Network "companion App" It'll allow players to get news about the game straight to their phones, and unlock the Mobile Operator skill.

Reviews:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/homefront-the-revolution

GAF Review Thread:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=203880639#post203880639

Trophy/Achievement List:
http://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/homefront-the-revolution/trophies/

*Thread reminder, please use spoiler tags to prevent, ya know, spoilers*

bwzzwpK.jpg

TheTrain

Well...subscribed! I'm waiting for the key from Funstock, suck that in EU they'll unlock the game on the 20th:/

bigkrev

Please be good, please be good, please be good...

I am going to buy this game at some point because it takes place in Philly, but I'll buy it for full price if it gets decent reviews. I'm not holding my breath, but the fact that Doom did not get sent out and is apparently a good game has me hopeful that this is the same case

Cornbread78

Please be good, please be good, please be good...

I am going to buy this game at some point because it takes place in Philly, but I'll buy it for full price if it gets decent reviews. I'm not holding my breath, but the fact that Doom did not get sent out and is apparently a good game has me hopeful that this is the same case

umm. Yeah, I'm hoping it gets good reviews tomorrow, after the game launches and they decide to send out review codes to everyone.

Somehow I missed that this was set in Philly...I AM SET IN PHILLY...so now Im intrigued

I swear, being from around Boston, I didn't mean anything at all by that title, lol...

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I remember how hyped for the first one I was.... I'll wait for reviews this time... because what we got was a C-Tier CoD campaign.

I was also superhyped for the first one and was rewarded with a meh game. This time, I'm taking a wait and see attitude. I really hope its good though.

NIN90

The one preview I watched way back then made this look like a spiritual successor to Crysis 1 (minus suit powers tho) but I heard this game is a stinker sooooo...

GavinUK86

Even though this one is completely flying under the radar, and perhaps with reason, I'm looking forward to it. I enjoyed the first believe it or not. I played some of this a few months ago and was quite surprised at how fun it was. It's a bit like an urban Far Cry but, in my opinion, more fun.

As a heads up, plenty of outlets got review codes early.

Review embargo ends at 3 AM EST/12 AM PST tomorrow. I'll be posting my review.

I really want that TimeSplitters arcade cabinet, plus I'm a huge fan of Dambuster (Free Radical), so I'm gonna get it and hopefully not be disappointed.

speedomodel

Still undecided about this. Will wait for first reviews to get an idea of story length and so on before jumping in. Will most likely get it Thursday/Friday unless it's an utter failure.

1337Sauce

Finished the game earlier today. Willing to answer any questions!

IMO this game is a massive disappointment, loaded with many tech issues as well as some severe problems with gameplay in general. Don't see this game doing very well at all.

natuKo

Neo Member

IMO this game is a massive disappointment, loaded with many tech issues as well as some severe problems with gameplay in general. Don't see this game doing very well at all.

How long did it take you to complete? Was the ending satisfying? Feel free to add spoiler tag!

Gator86

I'm glad the OP had enough sympathy to make an OT for this. I hope the game is good enough to reach its ceiling of summer doldrums gamefly weekend rental.

So much for that apparently...

1337Sauce

How long did it take you to complete? Was the ending satisfying? Feel free to add spoiler tag!

Took me about seven hours to complete. The side stuff in this game is not even remotely worth doing, so I skipped the majority of it except for when the game forces you to do some to continue. I'm pretty sure that the game can be done much faster than this to. The original estimate of 30 hours is way beyond anything I could ever see you getting out of this game.

The story as a whole was a major letdown. Characters are extremely poorly written, and the story essentially is strung together by a series of missions that carry no significant weight. By the time that I reached the end I had little to no interest left in what was going on.

Still have not tried the coop mode but am planning on doing so today! I will upload my impressions since that seems to have a good amount of content tied to it?

kagamin

The game will feature an arcade cabinet that includes a playable version of TimeSplitters 2. Players will be able to play two levels, Siberia and Chicago, from the 2002 original release.

Yooooo... what now?

I'll get it during the steam summer sale probably.

Took me about seven hours to complete. The side stuff in this game is not even remotely worth doing, so I skipped the majority of it except for when the game forces you to do some to continue. I'm pretty sure that the game can be done much faster than this to. The original estimate of 30 hours is way beyond anything I could ever see you getting out of this game.

The story as a whole was a major letdown. Characters are extremely poorly written, and the story essentially is strung together by a series of missions that carry no significant weight. By the time that I reached the end I had little to no interest left in what was going on.

Still have not tried the coop mode but am planning on doing so today! I will upload my impressions since that seems to have a good amount of content tied to it?

Wait, what! Are you serious? It sounded like a far cry game in that you have an open world, do bunch side stuff...take a ton of time. Thats incredibly short. Ouch.

edit - do you have ANY positives for this game?

speedomodel

Is it a collect-a-thon?

styl3s

What platform did you play it on?

1337Sauce

Wait, what! Are you serious? It sounded like a far cry game in that you have an open world, do bunch side stuff...take a ton of time. Thats incredibly short. Ouch.

edit - do you have ANY positives for this game?

There a handful of missions that are decently interesting, with a couple of cool moments, but they do occur well past the halfway point of the game. Additionally, there are some moments in which the environments or at least the atmosphere come across like a true revolution should. It is during these that the glimpses of what this game could have been really do come out, however once again, these are very few and far between.

This game is really trying to be something more than it is, and you can tell that there were some heavy problems during development, especially with it switching hands the few times that it did. This can absolutely needed another delay IMO, but I think they realized that they just needed to get the game out now and not invest anymore time and money into it, as there is already very little hype. The development team certainly could do much more, and I wish them all luck, but it just seems like a case of bad circumstances leading into the development of this game.

Is it a collect-a-thon?

It isn't really a collect-a-thon as much as it is trying to be similar to Far Cry and Dying Light. There are different regions, and within those regions, there are small activities that you can do besides the main missions. However, these ultimately boil down to turning on radios, and cutting the power to KPA equipment (however this is as easy as pressing square on them, with half of them literally just sitting in the middle of the street). There are some other minor things besides those two, but they ultimately feel very unrewarding and often times unnecessary.

1337Sauce

What platform did you play it on?

PS4. There was a patch installed when I first got the game, however I am unsure if this is the same thing that we are expecting for when the game launches. If it is the Day 1 patch, then I really don't see what they improved with it. It's labelled on my PS4 as Patch 1.02.

Mecha

Is the game as in your face with patriotism as it seems?

1337Sauce

Is the game as in your face with patriotism as it seems?

Not really. For all I could tell this game could take place in a different hypothetical world. There are obvious some story beats that relate, but it is mostly centered around the theme of revolution, and therefore focuses on what is needed to be done to achieve that revolution. Think of it more like Half Life 2's early segments, or what you see in Killzone, but not to the same extent as either.

I'm sure some of the spray paintings and propaganda around the environments will reflect that patriotism, but nothing really stood out to me. They do look quite good though and give the environments a nice touch!

Plasma

Banned
On the one hand everything I've seen of it looks pretty bad but on the other hand it has two levels from Timesplitters 2 in it so I may have to buy it ...

Mr. Tibbs

TrustedReviews posted a really neat article detailing the development of Homefront: The Revolution and how Dambuster Studios was formed. Talk about a rocky road to release! Good on them for finishing the game.

“The vision was to do an open world Half-Life. That’s what we set out to do.”

Top Bottom