• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront: The Revolution |OT| The City of "Brotherly Love" showing its true colors

I genuinely might have bought this if there had been a demo I could have tried. Even if the reviews had been 70-ish Meta.

Without a demo though, this has to get absolutely stellar scores for me to even bother.

Alienous

TrustedReviews posted a really neat article detailing the development of Homefront: The Revolution and how Dambuster Studios was formed. Talk about a rocky road to release! Good on them for finishing the game.

They say they're working on DLC.

post-40935-Wilfred-Mott-crying-gif-Imgur-1HXe.gif

nOoblet16

Surprise the game even got an OT, people thought (well what few who bothered to post in previous Homefront thread) that it wouldn't even get one.

I played the beta and thought it was one of the worst games I'd played this gen...but I hated the DOOM beta too and the actual game is blowing me away so I'll reserve judgement for Homefront. Still not hopeful though.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the game earlier today. Willing to answer any questions!

IMO this game is a massive disappointment, loaded with many tech issues as well as some severe problems with gameplay in general. Don't see this game doing very well at all.

What would you review the game? And is there an aiming reticle when the sights aren't aimed down?

1337Sauce

What would you review the game? And is there an aiming reticle when the sights aren't aimed down?

No aiming reticle when the sights aren't aimed.

I don't really have a score for the game, but it definitely is not worth picking up right away. At best it is a 20 dollar experience, at least until they patch it up!

The negative impressions regarding how lackluster game play is don't bother me as I oddly enjoy the Far Cry formula.

My biggest concern is the shooting. It looks like it's a chore to shoot, and considering the game is based around it, I'm worried I'll get tired of it fast.

I've got the game coming tomorrow and I hope it at least meets my low expectations and I enjoy it, otherwise I'll be trading it in in a few days.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Whoa, PHILLY?!??!?!

I'm in.

'Bout time someone based a game in Philly.

Will we be able to run up the Art Museum steps like Rocky?

Supposedly, Philly was the basis for the city in Heavy Rain

And L4D takes place around Philly.

I swear, being from around Boston, I didn't mean anything at all by that title, lol...

I'm not entirely sure why the quotation marks though. Philadelphia literally translates to "Brotherly Love"

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member

I don't really have a score for the game, but it definitely is not worth picking up right away. At best it is a 20 dollar experience, at least until they patch it up!

Thanks. How a first person shooter doesn't have an aiming reticle is beyond me. Looks like this game will be traded in quickly. :(

xRaizen

If it gets a 75+ average on Metacritic I'll get it tomorrow, if it's lower than that then I'll wait a few months to get it bargain bin prices.

Gonna' give this a chance when I can get my hands on a free or cheap rental or something. Early impressions have not made me want to spend any money.

lcap

Saw a few vids that show that enemy enemies are really sparse and dumb, can you confirm it?

1337Sauce

Saw a few vids that show that enemy enemies are really sparse and dumb, can you confirm it?

They can be dumb sometimes, and overly aggressive other times. For example, I alerted the KPA in one of the city missions, and was hiding two floors above ground trying to shake off the alarm. After about a minute of waiting (more than enough to usually lose an alert in any other game), I stood up, and was shot at instantly. It was like the AI new exactly where I was, despite not having any line of sight.

Other times they are brain dead and just staring at the wall, or standing behind me and not even firing their weapons.

There a handful of missions that are decently interesting, with a couple of cool moments, but they do occur well past the halfway point of the game. Additionally, there are some moments in which the environments or at least the atmosphere come across like a true revolution should. It is during these that the glimpses of what this game could have been really do come out, however once again, these are very few and far between.

This game is really trying to be something more than it is, and you can tell that there were some heavy problems during development, especially with it switching hands the few times that it did. This can absolutely needed another delay IMO, but I think they realized that they just needed to get the game out now and not invest anymore time and money into it, as there is already very little hype. The development team certainly could do much more, and I wish them all luck, but it just seems like a case of bad circumstances leading into the development of this game.

It isn't really a collect-a-thon as much as it is trying to be similar to Far Cry and Dying Light. There are different regions, and within those regions, there are small activities that you can do besides the main missions. However, these ultimately boil down to turning on radios, and cutting the power to KPA equipment (however this is as easy as pressing square on them, with half of them literally just sitting in the middle of the street). There are some other minor things besides those two, but they ultimately feel very unrewarding and often times unnecessary.

Ouch thanks for the response. Do you think if the game ran solid at 1080/60 on PC with bugs fixed that would make a difference?

1337Sauce

Ouch thanks for the response. Do you think if the game ran solid at 1080/60 on PC with bugs fixed that would make a difference?

It would certainly make a difference as to how the game was played, but it wouldn't fix any issues to do with the terrible story or gameplay. The game is too generic, but might be worth a playthrough at about 20 dollars under the circumstances that you stated.

Tapejara

I am...cautiously optimistic. I thought initial showings of the game looked great, but posts in the early impressions thread weren't all that positive. I ended up switching my pre-order from PS4 to PC so I could at least refund it if the game ends up being underwhelming. Here's hoping it turns out well!

Beast780

I'll pick up in a sale. Maybe $30 to $40 range. I have a knack for getting my money's worth out of subpar games (Mad Max and The Crew recently.)

I just saw a TV spot for this. It's the first one I've seen.

It looks a bit dated and a tad generic, but like it has the chance to be fun.

Hip Hop

Shame that they didn't do a competitive component to this, kind of surprising too.

That was the biggest draw of the first game and it wasn't that bad at all.

Seems like this game is going to be an acquired taste. There was a guy streaming the PS4 version today on twitch and he praised the game. He got asked a couple of times (during the hour I watched) if the game was worth it and his response was "every cent". It looked like it was a lot of fun and I'm excited personally for it.

Spoo

Uh, well, for better or worse I just bought this for PC. I liked Homefront 1, so that is, like, the only reason I'm taking the risk on this.

Keeping in mind, I *just* played the fuck out of DOOM, so I'm going to be re-learning how to play 'modern' shooters. I'll let gaf know how it goes!

Best Buy is offering a steelbook edition for the same price and it includes a $10 gift card. Tempted, I'm just terrified after seeing the frame rate issues in gameplay

Cornbread78

The title of the thread should have been "The Gang Doesn't Solves the North Korea Situation ."

I suck at thread titles, so I had to play of Philly and how nice the people are there and ya know, the grand ol' red, white and blue or something like that.

Top Bottom