• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront: The Revolution |OT| The City of "Brotherly Love" showing its true colors

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry you got a never ending loading screen. I hope I don't come across that bug. I'm in the second district even though I still have a lot left to do in the first district. For the most part, im actually enjoying the game. The frame rate doesn't even bother me at all. It's the pausing/freezing that's annoying the hell out of me and even on easy with aim assist on, im still sometimes getting my ass handed to me. The aiming and shooting really needed some extra work and no aiming reticle is definitely a negative.

Question though -

How do you unlock the attachments slots for the weapons? I want to buy a scope and a suppressor but there's no point in me doing so since I can't attach them anyway.

Question though -

How do you unlock the attachments slots for the weapons? I want to buy a scope and a suppressor but there's no point in me doing so since I can't attach them anyway.

All you have to do is purchase the attachment you want in the gun locker and it will be unlocked for every applicable weapon. Then when you mod the weapon just select the attachment you want. You don't have to unlock the slots, just purchase the attachments.

Also get the shotgun if you haven't already. Short range but damn near OP in short to medium range. Takes down heavies in 3 shots, every one else in 1-2 if you get a clean shot.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
All you have to do is purchase the attachment you want in the gun locker and it will be unlocked for every applicable weapon. Then when you mod the weapon just select the attachment you want. You don't have to unlock the slots, just purchase the attachments.

Also get the shotgun if you haven't already. Short range but damn near OP in short to medium range. Takes down heavies in 3 shots, every one else in 1-2 if you get a clean shot.

Okay, thanks. Appreciate the info and help.

TheTrain

I've played almost 4 hour, nothing major in terms of technical problem on a 970. Great atmosphere for the moment, there is really a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. vibe

Man the frame rate makes the combat really difficult on ps4 might have to play on the lowest difficulty. I've died like 3 times in pointless shit and what's with the game not explaining much until you're already in a stronghold etc

I'm sorry if the answer is in the thread but how can we tell how many skill points we have to assign? Maybe it's obvious and I can't see but I don't know how he skills system works.

Also is anyone else having trouble with shooting in this game? I swear I'm not great at shooting games but I'm not this bad!

Even with all of this I've been enjoying clearing missions with my buddies. It's not the most polished game and it's definitely got flaws but overall I can't help but enjoy the game.

Grisby

I'm so fucking irritated at this game right now.

I finally made it to the 3rd district, and while the frame rate was still subpar, it wasn't unbearable to me, especially compared to the 1st two districts. The game was becoming a bit more fun since I had gotten quite a few of the perks unlocked.

But alas, I'm nearing the end of the 3rd district and I get gunned down, hit respawn and I wait, and wait, and wait. It never loads my save. I waited 10 minutes. Closed it and restarted again. Same thing. Restarted my PS4 and still not loading. Just sits on the loading screen indefinitely.

I really tried to give this game a chance, but with the piss poor frame rate, less than adequate shooting, and now this never ending loading screen, I'm done. Trading this in before it completely loses all trade in value.

I'm so disappointed because if this game performed even marginally better, I'd love the hell out of it. It should have been delayed until it was ready.

This game is an absolute mess.
I'm on Xbox and hit the fourth(?) zone and I've got an infinite loading screen. It's time to take it back to gamestop.

Performance is awful, but I was dealing with it. The game probably has the most 'resistance' type of atmosphere I've ever come across. It's pretty neat at times, and there is a real sense of oppression when you're in the dark hiding from the KPA.

Gunplay is competent enough, but the real time weapon modification is cool.

I wish this was a better game, as it could be something special. That Rock Paper Shotgun article is spot on.

Dammit.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, im done with the game as well. Made it up to the third map and simply, enough is enough. A lot of stuff I like in the game but no aiming reticle, average at best gunplay and the constant freezing/pausing is just too much to overcome.

Shame too since I was hoping that this game would have been a nice compliment to the Far Cry franchise but sadly, it's not even close. Oh well.

Finished it today. I'll probably be in the lone camp of people who liked this game and found it more interesting then the first title. Probably the games strongest point is it's atmosphere and detailed world. All the hubs have there own distinct look and feel. One of my favorite missions in the game was the dock inflitration mission where you board the USS Nimitz. Cool stuff.

Homefront also gets the desperation right. The resistance always feels outgunned in the missions. Characters are constantly dying and when you get betrayed you feel like everything you've done up to that point was just taken away from you. On the other hand the dialogue is just trash. Just characters shouting and cursing at each other. I wish Brady wasn't a silent protagonist. It always annoys me in games when npcs talk to your character and somehow your silence is taken as an agreement.

I tried the coop mode. I do think playing with others helps improve the combat but there's only a couple maps right now which make all the unlocks pointless. On the plus side, the coop mode doesn't seem to have the autosave freezing problem that affects the SP. If Dambuster can deliver on a steady stream of new maps over the next couple months I'll actually buy the season pass.

So yeah the game has technical issues out the wazoo and the characters are insufferable but I still like the world Dambuster managed to put together under such development hells. It's definitely not trash like a lot of reviews deemed it but after a couple patches and like a 20 dollar price point, I think it will be worth playing for others who skipped out on it the first round.

Cairnsay

Banned
So, there is a new patch live (playing on PS4). Problem for me being it seems to break more than it fixes. Loaded the game up to find no icons on the map, barely any enemies in the world, and the floors all having a weird glow to them at times. Closed and relaunched and still the same.

It sucks, I really enjoy large parts of this game. It just seems intent on trying to push me away.

GravyButt

So, there is a new patch live (playing on PS4). Problem for me being it seems to break more than it fixes. Loaded the game up to find no icons on the map, barely any enemies in the world, and the floors all having a weird glow to them at times. Closed and relaunched and still the same.

It sucks, I really enjoy large parts of this game. It just seems intent on trying to push me away.
Reload a previous checkpoint. Should fix it from what I read on official forums. Any word on what the patch is supposed to fix? Any update for xb1?

bryanee

Oh man hope there is a patch. I really like the tone and atmosphere of this game, it kinda feels like a Terminator resistance game especially at night but my fucking god the framerate and those pause's when it saves are so bad.

Also objective don't show up on my map.

In response to a poster saying that there has been no news about an update, the community moderator says....

isW0l1E.png

Deep Silver/Dambuster Studios might want to consider promoting someone else. The guy comes across as an fanatical apologist of this game. He acts as though nothing is severely wrong with this game and that its performance is standard for most new releases. It seems like he believes there is some sort of agenda against this game because apparently no one complains as much about other games in the same condition.

In response to a poster saying that there has been no news about an update, the community moderator says....

isW0l1E.png

Deep Silver/Dambuster Studios might want to consider promoting someone else. The guy comes across as an fanatical apologist of this game. He acts as though nothing is severely wrong with this game and that its performance is standard for most new releases. It seems like he believes there is some sort of agenda against this game because apparently no one complains as much about other games in the same condition.
My God, that guy is such a jackass. I wish they'd just put him on gag order for awhile.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Just saw this game pop up as a new release on Steam, what are peoples' impressions so far? Not a good sign that this OP has fallen off so far despite the game being in its first week.

isW0l1E.png

No one complained about The Division? Is this guy for real?

BioHazard

Started playing this last night. I genuinely cannot believe how poorly this game runs on PS4. Apparently this recent patch "fixed" some of the framerate issues which is insane to me...it used to be WORSE? Still seems like it hardly hits 20fps, 2-4 second freezes every time there is an autosave. Truly unacceptable. Not sure if I should wait for another patch or just sell it now

WX3

I cannot buy that they have that guy doing anything in the pr department. What a farce. As for the game, I just rented it and I am excited to give it a go on my Xbox ONE. I fear the infinite loading screen though after reading here a bit I must admit.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Traded it in today to GameStop for $22 in credit and received an extra $11 in credit since I put it towards Doom.

Really wanted to enjoy this game but just couldn't. By the third map, I simply gave up. Real shame since it definitely has a Far Cry feel to it. Oh well.

Tapejara

New patch just released on PC and should be coming to consoles next week. https://www.facebook.com/dsdambuster/posts/616251931881050

Some of the things that will make it into this patch for ALL platforms (unless stated) will include:

• Save Stalls -We have optimised the number of checkpoint save locations throughout the single player campaign. This means that the short ‘pauses’ that the player encounters are reduced and the game will now inform you that it is saving. There will also be further optimisations in an upcoming patch.
  • Missing Map Icons - Players who were missing icons after updating to the v1.03 patch should now see their progress restored. You should now be able to continue your game, however there may be some slight inconsistencies with the hearts & minds stats.
  • Crash Fixes - We have fixed many crash related issues across all platforms
  • Multicore CPU’s (PC) - PC players should now see better performance from their CPU. We fixed an issue that meant multicore CPU’s were not being fully utilised.
The team have all worked tremendously hard and are already working on further patches that will contain even more reported issues and fixes.

Some of these will include:
- SLI Fixes
- Fix for Hearts & Minds progress in the Ashgate District not progressing correctly
- Fix for non-english characters used in login names

These will join many other fixes which we will release when that patch goes live.

There's also new Resistance mode content and an XP boost event.

god I am trying to blast through this game but its really difficult. I find the AI so moronic that I end up dying due to them being very bullet spongy even in the head.

I have got used to the technical limitations of it but still the AI means I die alot lol

Mr. Tibbs

Patch 1.5 is out.
The 1.5 patch for PC is now live and you can see the patch notes below.

The main point for this release will see the Hearts & Minds progression restored in Ashgate. This patch should allow anyone experiencing this issue to continue their journey.

However, there is a small caveat that we need to bring to your attention - during some of our final testing against some of the community provided saves, we found that any player who had already hacked the transceiver in Ashgate wouldn’t see the icons that are revealed on the map. This doesn’t have any knock on effects, and simply re-discovering them by moving around will make them reappear.

This will be fixed in our next patch but as it is a minor issue and in an effort to not delay this patch further, we made the decision to submit and release the current patch now. Please note that this doesn’t effect anyone starting new games.

In the mean time, here is a sneak peak at “Triage”, an upcoming mission that will join Resistance Mode soon!

kWURLbL.jpg

Patch Notes 1.5:
Fix for players Hearts & Minds progress not progressing correctly in Ashgate.
Fix for ‘Home of the Brave’ achievement not being achievable.
Further reduction in the number of checkpoints saves that occur whilst playing
Fix for non English character support in the user’s Windows login name
Some players who encountered issues with audio relating to the smartphone should now see it working as intended
Additional Nvidia tweaks

Tom Chick gave the game a positive review.

"The story, which you can ignore 95% of the time, would have you think you’re making America free again. Whatever. I couldn’t care less who originally owned this ersatz Philadelphia, or even that it’s Philadelphia, or that Homefront is peddling a supposedly gritty alternate history cautionary tale about Apple. This is a war game about converting territory and one of the least relevant factors when you’re fighting a war is why you’re fighting it. So you call up the map, consider your options, and ponder whether to attack that fortified gas station yet. Or maybe you should do a scavenging run because you can almost afford to boost your sniper rifle to it’s maximum level. Then you can get a position looking down into the gas station and clear it out without breaking a sweat. Just as the latest Far Cries lets you clear out its jungle bases however you like, Homefront: The Revolution lets you take back these urban ruins however you like."

Completed the story last night. Man it was nonsense. It really was. As if the KPA wouldn't just steam roll philly after that.

Oh and the second to last objective on ps4 had the games frame rate just shit the bed (it's never great but the patches fixed the stop frame animation effect except for that mission)

I've been playing since release just to complete this just because I know if I didn't make it my mission to complete it the game is so shit I would never wanna pick it up again if I stopped.

I do feel for the guys though.

The file is big and I've been downloading it slowly. It's just at 25%. I hope to finally get around to playing this within the next week or two, once I finish Mirror's Edge.

How long am I looking at for a non-completionist, but non-rushed playthough?

speedomodel

Not sure if I should start this or wait a bit. Not sure I want another open world game, need something more linear.

How long is the completion on this? 15 hours?

hollerphonix

Neo Member
So I was trolling around ebgames last night and it's being sold new for $45. So probably didn't do well regardless, I've heard it's not good but how bad is it (all around)?
Ps4 btw

Cornbread78

The file is big and I've been downloading it slowly. It's just at 25%. I hope to finally get around to playing this within the next week or two, once I finish Mirror's Edge.

How long am I looking at for a non-completionist, but non-rushed playthough?

Not sure if I should start this or wait a bit. Not sure I want another open world game, need something more linear.

How long is the completion on this? 15 hours?

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=21276

This appears to be pretty consistent with what has been posted, however, it has been reported to take more into the 30'system to do everything.

I'm actually still enjoying this game, I find the open-world aspect drawing me back each day. I see real shreds of brilliance in this game. I love the feeling of being part of the revolution, taking over strike points, customizing weapons, recruiting resistance members, destroying KPA equipment. It reminds me a lot of inFamous Second Son, but I honestly find Homefront to be a bit more intriguing, and has me coming back to try and take back the city.

Then something stupid happens, like frame rate causes me to die, or AI acts dumb, or I see a soldier with an invisible gun, and it just takes me out of it.

It's a shame. I do still really like the game, and it could've been so much more, but man did it ever need some more time for polish.

Grisby

Wonder if they fixed that issue when you got to the third area or whatever the game would just infinitely load on X1. Could never get past the main menu.

I keep thinking about this game.

derExperte

https://www.homefront-game.com/forum/index.php?threads/performance-patch-out-now.24755/

We are pleased to announce that our ‘Performance Patch’ is out now!

The team have worked incredibly hard on features and improvements contained in this patch. From stabilisation to bug fixes, we're excited to finally get it into your hands!

• 2 New Resistance Mode Map ‘Boom Patrol’ & ‘Indy Forever’
  • Save Stall Reduction
  • Smoother framerate and improved performance throughout the game via
  • Spawning Optimisations
  • Checkpoint Save Optimisations
  • Lighting and Particle Optimisations
  • Bug fixes and stability improvements including
  • Fix for intermittent issue in which a box could get stuck preventing Medical Supplies Strikpoint completing correctly
  • Fix for enemies not spawning correctly on occasion preventing Old Town Apartment Strikepoint completing correctly
  • Fix for padlocks not being able to be destroyed in certain situations preventing Car Park Chop Shop Strikepoint to be completed
  • Fix for black screen sometimes occurring following Aftermath mission and cinematic cutscene’s
  • Fixed an issue with some players losing equipment when continuing save game from a previous patch
  • Fixed a further issue some players experience with the SAM launcher becoming blocked in End Game
  • New Resistance Mode Features
  • Added ‘Guerrilla Score’ system to indicate a player’s overall experience in the game. Players can earn Guerrilla score by ranking up characters, completing missions on increasing difficulties, earning new citations and increasing a characters ‘Renown’.
  • Added ‘Renown’ system to reward continued play with a character at the rank cap. All XP gained at max rank contributes towards a character’s renown, increase their Renown to earn more Guerrilla Score and Armory crates.
  • Added the ability to set Resistance Mode character name with more than basic English characters
  • Updated Resistance Mode End of Mission display to better present end of match rewards
  • Resistance Mode bug fixes and stability improvements
  • Inside Job achievement tweak to reduce the number of reinforcements called after securing a stronghold

It's funny. I really want to hate this game..but I can't. Sure it has some god awful bugs, like shooting KPA's..and having them disappear right in front of you, only to respawn like 10 seconds later...and the horrible enemy AI, but under neath all that is a game that has potential.

I like the open world design, and how you can customize and change your weapon on the fly.

It's a shame that the game wasn't given more time to be polished.

Diancecht

I started playing this one, it was kind of fun... Until I had to do capture my first District by doing just mind fucking boggling, brainless hearts and minds bullshit. Just running around like an idiot, cutting wires, killing the same harasser guards over and over again. What the fuck is this?

pje122

Just finished this via the free weekend deal. Actually... I was very impressed. Really fun, really liked the art design and the environments. Hope they make another. Again, really goes to show you can't take reviews as gospel.

Just an FYI. gamefly has this used for $10 on consoles.

http://m.gamefly.com/game/Homefront-The-Revolution/5008405

And I'm pretty sure it's free shipping this weekend for labor day.

Edit: yep free shipping. Just got it for $10.69 shipped.

Came here to ask if it was worth $10 (free shipping is still active on Gamefly also), and I never would have guessed the OT is only 5 pages. I know the game kinda bombed but my god.

I think I'll still take a shot at it for $10, especially after reading about that huge patch they just released

SomTervo

Came here to ask if it was worth $10 (free shipping is still active on Gamefly also), and I never would have guessed the OT is only 5 pages. I know the game kinda bombed but my god.

I think I'll still take a shot at it for $10, especially after reading about that huge patch they just released

Game's really fun, if a bit flawed. Well with a tenner.

hollerphonix

Neo Member
I actually just started this a few days ago past the halfway point in the story.
The good:
the world feels lived in and reasons some interesting characteristics.
The gun modding is nice on the fly and adds to the guerilla warfare aspects of the story.
It does have a genuine underdog vibe within the game play.
The bad:
the story is team America without a sense of humor or irony.
The characters themselves are just unlikable to a large degree.
The script needed help, a bunch

Mind you with the most recent patch I manage to avoid a large amount of the previously reported issues and the game does feel pretty decent.

I went to start this the other day, after getting it as a gift months ago, but it needed a patch. Said patch downloaded while I slept, and I started it tonight.

So far, it's okay. Not nearly as bad as I was expecting, but it's also not something I'd call good either. There's more bad than good, overall, but it's kind of fun.

I've been liberating places and have completed the first few story missions. Now I'm on
Hearts & Minds
. Hopefully the game won't take me too long. I want to beat it then delete it.

SomTervo

I got to a mission that seems crazy unbalanced. It's a defence mission, and there's a fail-state if the five friendly NPCs die, but they're constantly bombarded by about eight enemies. Usually by the time I arrive at the location, two of the friendlies are already dead. Tried it about six times, failing every time.

Going to do something else and maybe get better armour/weapons before trying again.

I got to a mission that seems crazy unbalanced. It's a defence mission, and there's a fail-state if the five friendly NPCs die, but they're constantly bombarded by about eight enemies. Usually by the time I arrive at the location, two of the friendlies are already dead. Tried it about six times, failing every time.

Going to do something else and maybe get better armour/weapons before trying again.

That's worrying.

Cornbread78

Yeah and out of three of those pages most of it is people commenting on how bad the reviews were and how bad the game was (pre-patch) lol.

It's very unfortunate it turned out this way.

blakep267

I got the ganefly deal 2 weeks ago. Honestly, just go play far cry 4. HR in theory and on paper would be good but it's not a fun experience overall.its a shame because of like to see a better get their chance at it

Top Bottom