• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront: The Revolution |OT| The City of "Brotherly Love" showing its true colors

A new patch is out (1.10 for the PS4, 7,8 GB from 1.08)

Further improvements or just Multiplayer content? Sadly I can not download it at the moment.

Saw this on the black friday PSN sale, and someone mentioned that after the patches, it was comparable to Stalker. That's pretty high praise. Did this turn out to be a gem in the rough? Thinking of picking this up during the sale, but at $27, it's a bit out of the range of impulse buy.

Cornbread78

Saw this on the black friday PSN sale, and someone mentioned that after the patches, it was comparable to Stalker. That's pretty high praise. Did this turn out to be a gem in the rough? Thinking of picking this up during the sale, but at $27, it's a bit out of the range of impulse buy.

Without the DLC, you can buy it at Wal-mart for $19.99, if you want to save 7 more dollars and dip your toes in the water a little.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

I wouldn't go so far to put it on level with Stalker, but it's a pretty good game. It's more like Far Cry in a city.

I got it from Redbox really cheap, definitely worth the $9.

Samikaze

I got way near the end of the game when a quest item wouldn't spawn, forcing me to restart. Instead I gave up and sent it back to gamefly.

Anyone know if this issue's been patched or if a work around was found for PS4?

I really liked it despite all the bugs, laughibly bad dialogue, and story.
Reminded me of a "Freedom Fighters" sequel.

I recently played the first story dlc and restarted the campaign. All framerate and freezing issues are gone. I wish I could have played it like this at launch. Its well worth jumping into if you haven't.

Mr. Tibbs

Mind blown: Deep Silver says they released Homefront: The Revolution too early!

Speaking to MCV, the firm admitted that the title was ‘less of a success’ than it had hoped, and said that it had learnt a lot from Homefront’s release.

The shooter hit shelves in May to less-than-stellar reviews. It currently has a Metacritic rating of 48 on PS4, 49 on Xbox One and 54 on PC. But since release, Deep Silver says that its developer has improved the quality of the title.

“We have learnt some big lessons from Homefront,” Deep Silver global brand and marketing director Paul Nicholls said.

“You can see in the market at the moment, quality is absolutely king and some big IPs have struggling figures at the moment. We learnt a lot of lessons about what to do going forward. Not just the quality of the product, but when we launch as well.”

He continued: “The team at [developer] Dambuster did a fantastic job, With what the team there has done, getting the product patched and so on, the sentiment with consumers has really turned around.

“We’re getting a lot of positive feedback compared to when we launched, so timing was probably the biggest lesson we have learnt there.”

BTW, Homefront: The Revolutions is currently 66% off on Steam. Definitely worth checking out at that price.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Got this and the dlc in the Winter Sale for 15 bucks. Honestly, this is the definition of a 5/10 game in every way. It's serviceable and it will scratch that open-world-unlock-the-districts-Ubi itch if you have it, but it's mediocre at best. You don't even get to save
the "damsel"
in the main game (which is amusing, as you spend almost all of the main game trying to do this). Note, if you're actually interested in the story, play through the DLC
(since you actually get to save the "damsel" in one of the eps).
There will one day be a good modern-day U.S. gets invaded game (perhaps Resistance was it), but this isn't it.

mcz117chief

How is the game now, guys? It is on sale for 15€ which includes all the DLC. Is it worth getting now, now that it has been patched?

How is the game now, guys? It is on sale for 15€ which includes all the DLC. Is it worth getting now, now that it has been patched?

As I stated in my post above. All the technical issues are gone now. Game runs at a smooth 30 frames. If you want an urban far cry game, youll get some enjoyment out of it.

Tapejara

So after beating the game a few days ago I decided to marathon through the three DLC packs. Is it just me, or does this game work so much better as a linear shooter? Compared to the main game, the DLC is structured much closer to something like Metro, where it's linear overall but the actual level design is still open enough to allow variances in how you tackle objectives. I found the DLC was also much better paced compared to the main game, which dragged towards the end. Also, Ethan talks! Not like he's an amazing character, but man does hearing someone respond to other people really improve things. After all of the patches the main game didn't end up being so bad, but I'm really hoping if Dambuster is working on a sequel that they take more cues from the DLC.

Did anyone play through Beyond the Walls? Curious on people's thoughts on that one's story.

Jackpot

Banned
I agree the DLC ended up playing like Metro 2033.

The game does a good job reflecting your progress in the open-world levels with the riots and mob attacks.

Did anyone play through Beyond the Walls? Curious on people's thoughts on that one's story.

Story was a bit weird with Brady suddenly having a voice, and I swear his face uses the same model as Walker's. The ending
was pretty dumb, there was plenty of time to climb the ladder again and duck behind the outer silo door.

My biggest frustration with the game was the Timesplitters 2 port. Thought it was the whole game instead of 2 levels. Yeah I can buy the GC version but how on earth am I supposed to go back to non-mouse look after tasting it?

I downloaded the trial and played maybe 45 minutes a few days ago. It's okay, I guess. Not really a fan of the dreary urban environments and the shooting didn't feel entirely comfortable, but the tech is pretty impressive (especially the environment and things like reflections) and the voice acting seems decent so far. Lots of staring at close-up faces so far, so thankfully they've got the faces pretty right. Might play it some more; not sure yet. Not played enough to decide on what I think of it just yet.

Tapejara

I agree the DLC ended up playing like Metro 2033.

The game does a good job reflecting your progress in the open-world levels with the riots and mob attacks.

Story was a bit weird with Brady suddenly having a voice, and I swear his face uses the same model as Walker's. The ending
was pretty dumb, there was plenty of time to climb the ladder again and duck behind the outer silo door.

My biggest frustration with the game was the Timesplitters 2 port. Thought it was the whole game instead of 2 levels. Yeah I can buy the GC version but how on earth am I supposed to go back to non-mouse look after tasting it?

It was definitely jarring seeing his face and hearing his voice the first time after having just spend 13ish hours playing as this silent dude. I wonder if Dambuster had originally planned to give him a voice but were forced to cut it when Deep Silver rushed the game out the door.

As for the ending to Beyond the Walls,
I'm not sure if I agree there was enough time for Brady to get out. The KPA cut through the door pretty quickly after he flipped the switch, and even if he had just turned right around and ran, I doubt he would have been able to get far enough from the launch site in time. I personally think it was a poor way to end things. I was starting to like Brady, him and Jack made a good duo.

Shock32

How much DLC is actually out for this game (single player)? I'm glad they straightened everything out from the sound of things, that's what I was waiting for.

what are the chances they will Relase this as a game of the year edtion ?

and hows everyone else feel about it now with all the Pro patchs ?

any recent reviews ?

the game is cheap but if theres DLC that i need to pay for i might not bother !

I saw the collector's edition somewhere for $50 or $60 somewhere, I almost bought it just for the RC Car

Edit: I guess it's called "Goliath Edition"

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I need some help/info from PS4 (Pro) owners.

What's the main difference between SMAA and TAA in the in-game visuals options ? I've been playing this game for the last couple of hours on my Pro and based on my little testing, I noticed the image got a little 'chunky' when I turned TAA on. Chunky as in more sharper (and yes I know there's a sharpness slider right under the TAA option).

SMAA seemed to offer better image quality in my experience but I'd like to hear other people's experience. Here's some screens:

Gunkankun

Found a used copy at a local shop for 6 euros and jumped on it after reading that it improved quite a bit with patches. Is any of the dlc mandatory?

Found a used copy at a local shop for 6 euros and jumped on it after reading that it improved quite a bit with patches. Is any of the dlc mandatory?

Great price, I've played all 3 Story Expansions, and even though I really enjoyed them, they're very short for the price, I wouldn't say they're mandatory, but if you really like the game like I did, Beyond the Walls is very good IMO.

I bought this game as part of the summer sale and it's been fun, but something hilarious happened last night that I wanted to share with you guys.

So after liberating one of the KPA compounds I recruit a few resistance members (one of whom has a rocket launcher--this comes into play shortly) and begin jogging down the street.

Since it's night time and therefore hard to see, I nearly run right into a KPA soldier whose back is turned to me and is walking the other way. I crouch, pull out my pistol, and hold my breath for a headshot when all of the sudden *WOOSH* a rocket comes flying past me and hits the guy DEAD ON, killing him instantly and sending his body flying like 10 feet in the air.

But wait, here's the best part: Over my left shoulder I hear the rocket launcher guy scream at the top of his lungs, "HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW, BITCH!?"

The rocket was hysterical enough, but the delivery of that line was the icing on the cake. I'm pretty sure I laughed for like a solid 5 minutes at that shit.

This game may not be perfect, but MAN does it deliver the goods when it comes to unintentional comedy!

Cornbread78

I bought this game as part of the summer sale and it's been fun, but something hilarious happened last night that I wanted to share with you guys.

So after liberating one of the KPA compounds I recruit a few resistance members (one of whom has a rocket launcher--this comes into play shortly) and begin jogging down the street.

Since it's night time and therefore hard to see, I nearly run right into a KPA soldier whose back is turned to me and is walking the other way. I crouch, pull out my pistol, and hold my breath for a headshot when all of the sudden *WOOSH* a rocket comes flying past me and hits the guy DEAD ON, killing him instantly and sending his body flying like 10 feet in the air.

But wait, here's the best part: Over my left shoulder I hear the rocket launcher guy scream at the top of his lungs, "HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW, BITCH!?"

The rocket was hysterical enough, but the delivery of that line was the icing on the cake. I'm pretty sure I laughed for like a solid 5 minutes at that shit.

This game may not be perfect, but MAN does it deliver the goods when it comes to unintentional comedy!

Damn, that sounds like fun...

Pakesaker

Picked this game up months ago for PC on some random sale. I've been playing through it for the last week and I have to say it's a solid game. With all the settings turned up it's a good looking game, the world building and voice acting a above average, and I'm enjoying the gunplay more than I though I would. It has on the fly weapon customization, good player movement / traversal, collectibles that aren't overly tedious.It's definitely closer to a 7/10 or 8/10 for me compared to the middle of the road reviews I saw at release. It's most definitely worth a bargain buy in my opinion. I'll likely give the DLC a shot once I find them on sale.

Homefront: The Revolution was easily my favorite game of 2016, and it's a shame that the fact it was busted for several months caused it to go under people's radars. The DLC was pretty uniformly excellent, too. Beyond the Walls was, in my opinion, the best slice of FPS gameplay in years.

HFTR is a flawed game. Mechanically unpolished. The traumatic development shows. And it is a shame they cut a lot of content, including side missions. Originally Dana and this journalist character named Alec were supposed to give you missions. The journalist would ask you to photograph stuff for him. There was also a series of missions involving Burnett where you searched for morphine for his clinic and eventually discovered that Burnett had a morphine addiction. (The drug dealers you see around the city are likely a leftover of this.) And there's a really touching speech in the game's audio archives about how grief-stricken he is by what the revolution is doing to America, with an anecdote about how he saw people killing each other in the street over food.

(Also, the mission where Burnett dies was cut.)

The plot in HFTR is pretty solid, but it needed more character moments, and for whatever reason some really important ones were cut. They cut almost every side mission. Stuff like the butterfly killer quest are just traces. Which is a shame. See, what HFTR does extremely well is PEOPLE. The NPCs are diverse and well acted. I played the game for 50+ hours before I overheard a casual conversation between two NPCs about Parrish having a drinking problem. This is why the red zones are much weaker -- because they don't have proper NPCs in them in them.

However, HFTR doesn't do PLACES as well. The open world is largely devoid of interesting things to find. It's a well made open world for the most part, and intimately detailed, but this is where I think Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 excelled. (My pet favorite game this year, although it badly needs more patching.) In SGW3, you go exploring, and you do find things. Strange things, somethings. You wander through the woods and find a meth lab, or a serial killer. Stuff that makes you go, "Gee, that was... unexpected." A lot of open world games squander their open worlds by failing to fill them with interesting and unique content. HFTR falls victim to this, and I blame the troubled development.

Also, it's a pity HFTR never solved the disappearing AI issues. It's jarring and undermines tension. You circle around the block to get a better shot at a tank, and the tank is gone. That sucks. It's not a game breaking issue, and I still love the game, but it sucks. I cling to the hope that when the game gets its XBOX patch, they might release a new patch that irons out some more bugs and technical issues.

Well so I picked this up for 10 bucks from the Eu psn under 20 game sales. I think that this game is really cool so far! Im on a normal ps4 but it seems a lot of patches have improved the game to what it needed to be. It runs fine so far and have not noticed many technical issues.

For 10 bucks this seems like a great game

Top Bottom