• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeless-age

Status
Not open for further replies.
GAF is great, great is GAF! Thank you, soultron and good luck, HJ.

Chromax said:
Btw who was it that used GAF's money on a DS? :lol
I was just thinking about this thread the other day. I can't think of a specific search term to find it and I don't believe I posted in it. A down-on-his-luck GAFer wanted to buy his sister a DS and GAF came through for him. Lots of recriminations from others who feared a scam (GAF does have a dark side, too), but he provided proof. It wasn't a scam or misuse of donations.

Diablos

Silent_Echo said:
And not every kid lives up to their potential. Sounds like more the case here. Let's look at what he says...

Says he has no job, and is/was finishing college. Apparently he didn't hold up his end of whatever his dad's offer was. I'm guessing part of the offer was him staying in school, which looks like he didn't do. Plus no job to help with bills, and probably squandering his financial aid money on dumb shit like Steam downloads like his post history suggests.
Fuck you.

Hey everyone, just at the college grabbing my dirty clothes from the locker I stored them in.

I am still trying to process all this in my mind. Reading the list of people who donated to me made my eyes well up again :) Don't really know what to say. So many people have said nice things and I have no idea how to express the way I feel. I can say that this is a part of my life now that I will never forget as long as I live. The money is enough to cover my first couple months rent, plus pay for my night class if I get the job at the college. There are no words for how I feel. Soul gave me a pair of nice shoes as well because my foot was in pain. They feel great, and look snazzy to boot. Riding my bike to the college, my mind was filled with all these thoughts and feelings and it is really overwhelming. Last night when we got out of BP, I was trembling, and couldn't stop. I don't now what it was. Soul and I watched the first episode of How I met Your Mother, which was pretty funny.

Thank you everyone. I will see about taking some more pics with (kind)Soul, because I know people want them :p

sohois

Wow, what an amazing thread, i wish i could have seen it earlier.

Anyway, well done to the donaters and Soultron, and congrats to HJ on his unhomelessness.

You really showed Dennis Dyack whats what

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
themustardman said:
All previous misconceptions out the door.

THISISNEOGAF.png

This thread is awesome and everything, but why'd you draw a picture of Bish with a white dick and some stick figure guy that looks like he's either giving him a handjob, or spreading his deformed midget legs?

LOL, seriously though I can't tell what's happening in that pic!

Kudos to duders and duderettes that donated. I would, even if it was like 5 or 10 bucks, but I'm like in negative monies right now. Great thread!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Silent_Echo said:
Says he has no job, and is/was finishing college. Apparently he didn't hold up his end of whatever his dad's offer was. I'm guessing part of the offer was him staying in school, which looks like he didn't do. Plus no job to help with bills, and probably squandering his financial aid money on dumb shit like Steam downloads like his post history suggests.

You expect a full time college kid to be able to hold down anything more than a part-time job? The fuck, dude? And you're a father of four?

Protip: Never have another fucking kid, hopefully the four of your spawn already don't pollute the gene pool with your moronity.

Timedog said:

A campfire circle of love. Kum-bah-ya or whatever the fuck.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Timedog said:
This thread is awesome and everything, but why'd you draw a picture of Bish with a white dick and some stick figure guy that looks like he's either giving him a handjob, or spreading his deformed midget legs?

Kudos to duders and duderettes that donated. I would, even if it was like 5 or 10 bucks, but I'm like in negative monies right now. Great thread!
I think that's Bish with a plate of pizza and the person on the left just grabbed a slice with cheese string from the plate ?

I am sorry HJ I wasn't able to donate. I really would if I was employed :( Unemployment makes me an uncle Scrooge :(

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
NetMapel said:
I think that's Bish with a plate of pizza and the person on the left just grabbed a slice with cheese string from the plate ?

I am sorry HJ I wasn't able to donate. I really would if I was employed :( Unemployment makes me a uncle Scrooge :(
I think pizza is going into the stick figures vagina.

zon

I'll just get this out of the way: Silent_Echo, fuck you.

I wish all the best for you HJ, I hope everything works out for you in the future.

Soultron, I can't express how impressed I am with what you've done. Massive amounts of respect for you, as well as all the guys/girls who donated money to help HJ.

Holy crap, I only noticed this thread's title less than 24 hours ago, this is the first time I've stepped into it properly and read it all....

this is one of the nicest things I've seen one set of human beings do for another. On GAF. An Videogame Forum on the Internet. Empathy, sympathy and generosity abounds!

Best forum on the intertubes confirmed

soultron

Banned
Yeah, living in this house means you have to watch How I Met Your Mother.

Also, there will be more pictures and celebrashuns when HJ gets a or multiple jobs. Tomorrow, at 6, is the interview for Boston Pizza, so HJ will have to let you guys know how that goes because I will be working that night from 5-10.

Also, to whoever thinks this is super amazing or whatever, I'm flattered. This isn't the first instance of someone helping another GAF member out though. Remember when J.M. Romeo helped Socreges out? Besides, I just want to see HJ graduate and make sure J. Bell knows that GAF members are making contributions to society.

Until next update! I have to work. :[ It's UFC tonight so we're gonna git
CHOKE
slammed in the kitchen.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I actually believe this may have happened before on GAF. I think when White Man left his household (from Ohio, I think), he had nowhere to go and Oxygen/Element (who lives in Washington state, and is/was a Microsoft PR) offered him his place and got WhiteMan a job at Microsoft, too. But this situation differs because of the massive amounts of donation money.

There have been some really awesome, feel good moments in this forum.

P.S. How I Met Your Mother is one of the best damn shows out there.

JSnake

soultron said:

Also, there will be more pictures and celebrashuns when HJ gets a or multiple jobs. Tomorrow, at 6, is the interview for Boston Pizza, so HJ will have to let you guys know how that goes because I will be working that night from 5-10.

Also, to whoever thinks this is super amazing or whatever, I'm flattered. This isn't the first instance of someone helping another GAF member out though. Remember when J.M. Romeo helped Socreges out? Besides, I just want to see HJ graduate and make sure J. Bell knows that GAF members are making contributions to society.

CHOKE
slammed in the kitchen.

I'm so glad you two are getting along like best buddies. :D

soultron said:

CHOKE
slammed in the kitchen.
Did HJ have to suit up?

Glad to see things are working out for him.

Meadows

Banned
Just thought I'd say that I'd love it if you would keep this thread updated even if it slips onto the 2nd page.

At least for the next couple of weeks!

shuri

Banned
I doubt that this gaffer was living paycheck to paycheck considering he had purchased the new TMNT game the day before learning he was getting kicked out and various steam stuff, but hey..

Shit happens?

edit1: what was the OP doing all summer?

ultim8p00

Banned
Dark Octave said:
Wow. OT can raise $1200 in a couple of days to help a guy out, while the gaming side begs a guy with kids to sell his indie game at a possible 2/3 cut in price and boasts about pirating games over PSN.

Yeah maybe I should just move to the OT side permanently.

Also how did the interview go? It's 7PM already (CST)

shuri said:
I doubt that this gaffer was living paycheck to paycheck considering he had purchased the new TMNT game the day before learning he was getting kicked out and various steam stuff, but hey..

Shit happens?

edit1: what was the OP doing all summer?

:lol Have mercy GAF

It's bish holding a guitar while gaffers hold hands in a circle around him.
bish is there because i can't get enough of the L Jackson face.

It was intentionally crudely drawn. I was going to draw it in crayon, but i couldn't find my box :(.

xbhaskarx

I'm only wondering this because I just watched a Sawyer episode from season two of Lost, and then read through this thread for the first time, but what if this is all an elaborate scam?

Ecto311

xbhaskarx said:
I'm only wondering this because I just watched a Sawyer episode from season two of Lost, and then read through this thread for the first time, but what if this is all an elaborate scam?

Doesn't bother me personally. Everyone is always so cautious of a scam. Maybe the way I was raised or living in a small town but I will help if I can most of the time. Plus someone who registered as long ago as he did and finally made it pay off is one of the more elaborate schemes I have ever seen.

xbhaskarx said:

Well, if it was they deserve the money for being so damn smart and fooling us all :lol

EzLink

Banned
Holy shit, this thread is legendary.

I'm not even sure what to say, other than good fucking job GAF (especially soul!) and good luck with everything HJ

Sew

A thread like this makes you feel like no one has to fight through life alone. Beautiful stuff. <3

This is off topic, but I'll do the smoothest segue I can. Soultron, you were after some feedback on the Saitek Aviator, here it is. I think for your efforts, a mere $60 from the donation pool should go towards buying you one. :D

fart

Savant
overjoyed this is working out so well, but one suggestion for philanthropy-age is to donate to a larger charitable organization. oxfam (www.oxfam.org) and doctors without borders (www.msf.org) are my favorite, but the UN aid agencies, among many other NGOs. are also pursuing extremely worthy causes.

ok thanks dudes, resume love-fest.

soultron said:

CHOKE
slammed in the kitchen.
JeffBell.jpg

I don't know for sure, because soul delt with the donations, but he said a certain dev donated a large sum, which I am ever thankful for. In fact, it blew me away that a dev reads the OT, and actually wanted to help me out. I am supposed to be supporting my favourite developers, not the other way around :p

It doesn't matter, though. Every donation, no matter how small, means the world to me. Same goes for the kind words written in this thread. Donations were not expected, it was something that people decided to do own their own. Thank you all, and have a great night. Soul and I are going to watch another episode of How I Met Your Mother, and then crash. A gaffer from hamilton pm'd me about going out for a burger tomorrow, so I am looking forward to that.

Goodnight everyone.

Ydahs

I just spent nearly an hour going through this thread and I can safely say it's the best story I've heard come out of GAF since I've begun visiting. I would've loved to donate, but there is no way for me to at the moment.

You can try to be as modest as you like soultron, but if it wasn't for you, HJ wouldn't be getting his life back on track right now.

All the best HJ and I really hope your interviews/future endeavours are successful.

soultron

Banned
Hey guys, I'm super beat from work. (Party of 30 -- smoking hot women -- on an open menu? FTS!)

Decided that, instead of typing, HJ should just give you guys another video.

Job interview is tomorrow at 6! I will be working from 5-10, but hopefully HJ can update you guys ASAP!

As far as the donation thing goes, I don't really feel comfortable listing it out of respect for people who didn't even want their first names in the screen caps. I guess if people want to show their amounts, they can PM me and I then can edit that huge list I posted. Otherwise, I think we should just let it be.

The video updates are fantastic, guys. I don't think it can be said enough how great it is to see an ongoing success story in the making. Each video is totally heart-warming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom