• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Honest Question for Series S and PS5 Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markio128

I feel the same OP. I have the series X and it doesn’t feel as fresh as the PS5. If you don’t like the dualsense, then fair enough, there isn’t much in it; but, if you do, like me, then the PS5 is just a more exciting console to play games on, which is the whole point really. For example, I have a decent steering wheel, but I’m still excited to play GT7 using the dualsense because of the work that has clearly gone into using its features. In fact, if you enjoy racing games in general, then the PS5 is a no-brainer; WRC 10, Ride 4 and Dirt 5 all make great use of the controller.

Whilst FH5 is a great game, not being able to use the dualsense controller really dampens my enjoyment of the game. I really hope MS follow suit and add haptics etc., to a new controller.

Godot25

Banned
Why wouldn’t I buy a PS5 game over an Xbox Series game with this controller?
Because I'm turning off vibration on basically all of games because they annoy me to the hell. So Dualsense in my view is just less ergonomic Xbox Series X/S controller.

I don't think any of new-gen is literally "there"
I mean look at the market. We are playing same games then last gen just with higher framerates. Fortnite, Warzone, Siege, Destiny 2... all of those games are as popular as in One/PS4 gen.

And of course, there is a "exclusive" debate. And fact that we are in second year of next-gen and Sony is still making cross-gen first party games and that will be true even in last months of 2022 (Ragnarok). Xbox on the other hand had pitiful first months of new gen, but later they fired few shots with Halo and Forza. And this year is next-gen only, thank god.

And I also don't view NEW UI of PS5 as an advantage. Because it was half-finished at best and PS5 is still missing crucial features like VRR. And I'm not even talking about fact it took them almost a year to add external SSD support. Microsoft is making "new UI" several times during one generation and I expect it will be same this time around. But for Microsoft it is iterative process - they are building just new coat to the already functioning system.

GametimeUK

For the Series X vs PS5 side of the argument there's very little we can debate on why you'd choose to buy games on the Series S. The console is less powerful overall and you'll benefit most out of games on PS5.

I don't necessarily think a new UI and controller are the defining features for me that determine which console feels most like a next gen machine to me. I can only speak for me personally, but Xbox's feature set (coming from a Series X / PS5 owners perspective) is currently the more impressive of the two.

The hardware in both consoles is next gen, but where Xbox wins is in its features. Gamepass is what it is and the cross save functionally between consoles and PC is great.

Mirrors Edge on Xbox Series X is one great example of this. It runs backwards compatibility mode, VRR enabled, FPS Boost to hit 60fps and with a resolution enhancement. I love the console for things like this.

There's things like Auto HDR on Xbox. I know some of these options were available on Xbone, but it still makes the Xbox Series a compelling package. Also quick resume wasn't a selling point for me, but damn it's great.

I don't get how a different UI and how you click into games is what makes a console "next gen". I mean I can get it feels "different" or more intuitive, but I'd have to say it's more about features to me than it is presentation.

The PS5 Dualsense is a step forward for controllers and I really appreciate what it brings to the table. It has massive potential.

Also I'd say Sony have the games that feel more next gen in terms of presentation. Do Microsoft have anything on their system that looks as good as Demon's Souls or Ratchet & Clank? It's debatable, but the answer is no in my opinion.

Well that's my take.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
As someone who has owned both and ultimately gone with ps5, i say this:

Ps5 has incomparably better games to date.

If i was honest about how much I should care about games at this age I'd have gamepass and a series s.
U say ps5 has better games like its a fact...

For someone who likes racing,fps and flying games the PS5 has sucked so far.

LordOfChaos

All things being equal, I'd easily pick an equivalent game that used the Dualsense features fully over the best case 17% more pixels on the Series X, let alone a third of the graphics power on the Series S. Vs the Series S the choice is quite obvious as to which I'd get a game on, even at 1080p. The Xbox would obviously be for gamepass, but if all else was equal for a game that wasn't on game pass I think it's obvious that you'd go PS5 over Series S, not much debate.

On the interface side, nearly a full year later I think I'd still be mentally quicker on the PS4's than the PS5s, though the cards and game hints built in would still make me pick the PS5, plus it's much more responsive (but not as much as I believe these consoles could be, still seems held back by software and web views rather than native interfaces in places). There's still just things that are a bit confusing about the PS5's interface and sometimes I hit a button then have to reverse to do what I wanted, but generally it does more useful things than last gen and is more responsive.

BryceNobody

I have both a Series X and PS5. They’re pretty terrific consoles and I think Microsoft came out with a much stronger effort than they did back in 2013.

It is a little ironic that the Series X, which I bought primarily for physical games, is mostly a GamePass machine because of how ridiculously good that library is. It’s probably the reason I’ve leaned Xbox this generation over PS- that and some scattered nitpicks with the PS5 (crappy UI, ugly design, lack of new games, etc.)

There’s lots of good aspects for each console though, and I’m glad there’s a bit more healthy competition this generation.

arvfab

Banned
Huh the ps5 has had no flying, racing or fps exclusives..

Ok, let's ignore the flying games as I'm not aware of any game on PS.

But PS still got all multiplatform racing and FPS games. Not even mentioning GT7 soon and Deathloop being an exclusive FPS on PS.

Or do you also make the counterargument that Xbox sucked for fans of all other genres outside of the 3 you mentioned because Microsoft didn't have any exclusives for them?

Markio128

Huh the ps5 has had no flying, racing or fps exclusives..
This comment made me laugh and I don’t know why. I suppose a little known game called GT7 is around the corner; there could very well be flying in HFW (lol - you were non-specific) and there appear to be a shed-load of fps exclusives on the horizon. Also, as you were being non-specific, I could argue that MS FS, Halo and FH5 are also on PC, so not exclusives.

Office Tv Youre Welcome GIF by The Office

Sosokrates

Ok, let's ignore the flying games as I'm not aware of any game on PS.

But PS still got all multiplatform racing and FPS games. Not even mentioning GT7 soon and Deathloop being an exclusive FPS on PS.

Or do you also make the counterargument that Xbox sucked for fans of all other genres outside of the 3 you mentioned because Microsoft didn't have any exclusives for them?
Yeah its about preferences. And the post I replied to was about exclusive games.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I have the same setup as you but I'm using a 4K tv I had for years now. It has no HDR and 120hz though.

I bought the series S at first because both X and PS5 were out of stock all the time. Only recently I bought a PS5.

At first, I thought I didn't want another console than the S because Microsoft somehow managed to make this console cheap enough and very capable. Gamepass, 60fps and backward compatibility is so well made, everything is so quick.

But then I tried my friend PS5 and immediately liked the controller and admitted to myself that I really like their exclusives game. Some of the things I like the most about new consoles is the quirky gimmicks like WiiU tablet, 3D on the 3DS, second screen, Vita back touchpad etc.. It's incredible when developers take advantage of these tools, it brings novelty to this hobby.

So it's no different with the dualsense and I can't wait for PSVR2 either.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I have a Series X. Haven't played a game on it in a few months. Was gonna get a PS5, but Jimbo really doesn't want me to. Sent me a letter saying "I see you have PC, Jiggy. Stay right there, we'll come to you".

I agree with OP that Xbox feels similar far as the OS goes....I mean it's the same OS pretty much. I still use my Xbox One controller. I don't like how loud the buttons are on Series X controllers. Thank God I can still use my older controller on the new console whenever I do play something on it.

Next Gen though is in the games and features, not really the feel of the controller or the look of the home screen. This would be my only complaint with Xbox. Very few "Next Gen looking" games. Forza Horizon 4 is amazing, Halo looks good but not as good as I expected. To be clear, this is not just an issue with Xbox games. The entire industry seems to be slow getting out the gate with their Next Gen offerings. Sony managed to pull it off with Ratchet and Demon Souls, but that's pretty much it.

I see what's coming down the pipe though and I'm very excited for it.

You should really buy a 4k TV though OP. Even if it's not fully featured, you can get one for dirt cheap.

RareJordan

I agree. I got both PS5 and Series X on launch day. Going from an Xbox One X to Series X didn't feel exciting at all. Same controller with a new capture button. Same exact UI. And no exclusive games at launch, except Gears Tactics I guess. It just felt bland. I didn't get that new console excitement. Faster loading and some updated BC games didn't not justify the price for me.

However the PS5 felt genuinely different from the PS4 Pro. It felt next-gen. New controller, new games, new UI. And the fact it game preloaded with the Astrobot game was amazing. That whole experience felt fresh.

The Xbox Series felt like upgrading to newer model iPhone. Same general experience, with small improvements. Better, but the same.

Vrr and atmos are worth more to me than dual sense which feels toy like and already caused me to feel RSI with spidey.

Quick resume, a solid controller, smart deliver (believe it or not), price of games, back compat honoring my library, gamepass, emulation, and a well optimized interface just make Series X my primary system to buy and play games.
As an owner of both the X and 5, this post sums it up very well. Games in Atoms are incredible.

Sosokrates

Ps5 has incomparably better games to date.

This comment made me laugh and I don’t know why. I suppose a little known game called GT7 is around the corner; there could very well be flying in HFW (lol - you were non-specific) and there appear to be a shed-load of fps exclusives on the horizon. Also, as you were being non-specific, I could argue that MS FS, Halo and FH5 are also on PC, so not exclusives.

Office Tv Youre Welcome GIF by The Office

Its funny how u and A arvfab have just ignored Tschumi Tschumi comment quoted above....

Got em all here.
Series X for everything, Gamepass, 1st, 3rd party stuff.
My PS5 is sitting there waiting for that 1st party stuff. Waiting even longer for that PS5 only 1st party stuff. Have to keep spiderman off the system as It's already collecting enough spiderwebs sitting there on the shelf.
My PC is sadly limping along. PC gaming has died in this house. Consoles are more powerful. Even if Sony were to release their stuff on PC I would still get it on console because of Sad PC Syndrome.

The dualsense is packed with features, no doubt about it. How important those features are, or if you care for them will vary from person to person. Personally, the dualsense works against the PS5 for me. The always listening mic randomly turning itself back on from time to time is annoying, and the fact that I've sent back two controllers due to broken haptic triggers isn't doing it any favors. Throw that in with the short battery life, and symmetrical stick placement, and it compares even more unfavorably.

A new fresh OS is always exciting though, and exploring various menus and finding new functions is cool. After the new smell has worn off, and you're familiar with it. You'll be able to more accurately compare it to the Xbox OS. I don't have a massive preference for either really.

Pipescl

Neo Member
I have a ps5, a series S, and an one x. I can’t agree more with OP.

I’m buying only games on ps5 cause they feel a justified purchase, rather any game on Xbox, but I have Gamepass, and while
there are AAA games there, I have never felt the urge to buy anything in the platform. It’s not like Xbox do not have games, it’s not that, it’s the value of my time playing. I rather play next gen games blazingly fast on ps5, rather any exclusive on Xbox.

raptorak

Neo Member
Don't bump old threads just to console war like you're 10.
I think you are delusional. The PS5 controller is too big and also quite crappily made. I've already had to replace the springs in the triggers twice and it is a serious pain to do so. On the other hand, the Series X is faster, runs in higher fidelity and has quick resume. The xbox controller d-pad clicks like a motherfucker for no good reason but at least the thing works. If you genuinely think the PS5 is a generational gap above the XBOX you are a deluded fanboy and own neither console. Rumbling your hands off in a shit tech demo like Astrobot whatever is nothing special.

raptorak

Neo Member
PS5 is a much better console imo, better hardware, better games (it's not perfect (yet?) but), better pad, the 3D Audio.

The only aspect where Xbox series beat PS5 all the way is the BC, not only it's there but it's very well made.

Another point where Xbox may(?) in in the long Run beat PS, will be having the most complete experience for multi games, if Sony will keep it with the censorship, this will give a huge plus and pro for the Xbox side, i mean this aspect is speculatif for now but for sure it's important to note that if Sony will continue the censorship this will become a huge con on ps side while also a huge plus on Xbox side.
Seriously deluded.

raptorak

Neo Member
No u just failed at having a brain.

There are people who prefer flight sim, FH5 and halo infinte over returnal, demon souls, rift apart and deathloop.

corvette deal with it GIF
True, not to mention Demon Souls on PS5 is absolute shite and looks like ass - it's the worst souls game by a country mile because not only is it old as fuck but also the new studio took the art direction in completely the wrong direction. Absolutely junk release better off played on ps3. Also, Returnal is literally just OK, so that's it for so called amazing ps5 exclusives.

BlackTron

Owner of the current 3 consoles:

XSX: My main console because of Gamepass, my existing 360 and XBO library, controller and better multi performance, also I prefer the XSX controller. It’s in my living room.

PS5: Only for PS exclusives, it’s in my basement.

Switch: Nintendo IPs and some exclusives, it’s in my gaming/office desktop

You keep your Switch in your desktop? That must be one mammoth PC case.

BlackTron

Got em all here.
Series X for everything, Gamepass, 1st, 3rd party stuff.
My PS5 is sitting there waiting for that 1st party stuff. Waiting even longer for that PS5 only 1st party stuff. Have to keep spiderman off the system as It's already collecting enough spiderwebs sitting there on the shelf.
My PC is sadly limping along. PC gaming has died in this house. Consoles are more powerful. Even if Sony were to release their stuff on PC I would still get it on console because of Sad PC Syndrome.

That's pretty much the only reason consoles are a thing now. $500 extreme value hardware that make you give up some PC flexibility.

I'm happy with my Series X. I would have been much happier with a new PC but decided to spend 500 instead of 1500. My gtx1060 can cover my ass in Windows (competitive shooters, RTS, masses of Steam games) just fine while the Xbox pulls the real weight. It's also nice having a box I can move around and set up easily, my PC is never going ANYWHERE.

Sosokrates

True, not to mention Demon Souls on PS5 is absolute shite and looks like ass - it's the worst souls game by a country mile because not only is it old as fuck but also the new studio took the art direction in completely the wrong direction. Absolutely junk release better off played on ps3. Also, Returnal is literally just OK, so that's it for so called amazing ps5 exclusives.

Demon souls remake actually looks pretty good compared to other current gen stuff. This gen I dont think it's going to be about huge visual upgrades, so its tougher for launch window games because we dont know what these machines can do.

Returnal is actually a great game, the daul sense stuff combined with the particle effects and procedurally generated levels really make it feel new and very good. Maybe visually its not jaw dropping but with all the things combined it certainly made an impression on me.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Demon Souls is top 5 best looking games this generation thus far maybe even top 3

Topher

Gold Member
I think you are delusional. The PS5 controller is too big and also quite crappily made. I've already had to replace the springs in the triggers twice and it is a serious pain to do so. On the other hand, the Series X is faster, runs in higher fidelity and has quick resume. The xbox controller d-pad clicks like a motherfucker for no good reason but at least the thing works. If you genuinely think the PS5 is a generational gap above the XBOX you are a deluded fanboy and own neither console. Rumbling your hands off in a shit tech demo like Astrobot whatever is nothing special.

Awkward Jay Z GIF by Complex
No Way Abandon Thread GIF
Cringe Reaction GIF

Three

Bumping some old thread to call people deluded with 3 posts in a row. Wow.

Anyway the OP makes a point, I feel the PS5 did feel more like a new generation even if it is nothing like previous new gens. Everything was new and it has next gen only games like Demon Souls, Returnal, Ratchet etc. It certainly was more of a new generation than the Series S which played the same games as the XB1 with the same OS and the same controller with barely any power difference even. Some of that is not a bad thing though because I feel the PS5 OS is change for the sake of change there is nothing I can say that's fundamentally better about it than the PS4 OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom